If Bush did not author the Patriot Act, who did?

Isma'ila (God has heard)! 2011/01/13 06:07:18
Bush did not author the Patriot Act but he signed it into law.

• Theresa 2011/01/13 06:45:40 (edited)
    Theresa
    +10
    That one is easy it was designed by a think tank in 1995It was sponsored by Joe Biden under the Clinton administration. It sat around until it could be implemented!

• onebad Isma'il... 2011/01/15 08:05:43
  • Isma'il... onebad 2011/01/15 08:08:15
    Isma'ila (God has heard)!
    You will not call people liars on this post.
  • onebad Isma'il... 2011/01/15 08:11:26
  • Isma'il... onebad 2011/01/15 08:12:47
    Isma'ila (God has heard)!
    You will not call people liars on my post.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2011/01/13 06:34:27
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +4
    Viet Dinh has been called a "political pit bull" and "a foot soldier" for Attorney General John Ashcroft. But the 36-year-old author of the Patriot Act prefers to be called an "attendant of freedom."
    In May 2001, the professor of law at Georgetown University was tapped by the Justice Department to work for two years as an assistant attorney general, working primarily on judicial nominations for the department. But three months later the World Trade Center towers collapsed, and Dinh was drafted to work on the USA Patriot Act, a bill that would give the government some of its most controversial surveillance powers. The bill, coupled with the government's subsequent treatment of immigrants and native-born citizens, prompted critics to charge the administration with overthrowing "800 years of democratic tradition."
    Ironically, Dinh is an immigrant himself. The youngest of seven children born in Vietnam, he was 7 years old when communists took over the country and imprisoned his father, a city councilman, for "reeducation." Three years later, Dinh's mother escaped with him and five of his siblings to the United States. His father arrived eight years later.
    Dinh graduated from Harvard Law School and clerked for Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. He has had a hand in many high-profile issu...

Dinh graduated from Harvard Law School and clerked for Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. He has had a hand in many high-profile issues, including the Whitewater investigation and the impeachment trial of former President Clinton. In 2000, he also wrote a friend-of-the-court brief for the Supreme Court on behalf of Florida voters who favored George W. Bush's win in the contested presidential election.
    He once said that he was drawn to study the government because he "had seen government that did not work," and he was drawn to the Republican Party because of his hatred for communism.
    Wired News spoke to Dinh about the Patriot Act and its effect on the liberties of American citizens.
    Wired News: The Patriot Act was drafted and passed quite hastily in response to the crisis of 9/11. Do we still need it?
    Viet Dinh: There is no question that the last 28 months of peace in America, where not another life has been lost on American soil to terrorism, would have been much more difficult without the USA Patriot Act. I do think we still need it. The terrorists are out there trying to reinvent themselves. It behooves us all to think about how we (could) better do our job to close the barn door for the next horse, not just for the last one, and to be proactive about ways to combat terrorism.
    WN: An estimated 5,000 people have been subjected to detention since 9/11. Of those, only five -- three noncitizens and two citizens -- were charged with terrorism-related crimes and one was convicted. How do we justify such broad-sweeping legislation that has resulted in very few terrorist-related convictions?
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2011/01/13 06:29:02
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +2
    who authored it?
  • Isma'il... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/01/13 06:33:13
    Isma'ila (God has heard)!
    +2
    Yes. That is what I am asking.
  • Theresa ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/01/13 06:50:50
    Theresa
    +2
    You need to ask a more pertinent question who benefited? Then you can determine the authorship.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Theresa 2011/01/13 06:52:09
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +2
    investigating that now
    +4
    If I remember correctly Chertoff and Ashcroft were also involved in writing the Patriot Act too ... (there were others .. I just am tired and can't read as well as I used to).
  • Isma'il... sglmom 2011/01/13 06:28:07
    Isma'ila (God has heard)!
    +2
    Oh, okay.
  • Theresa sglmom 2011/01/13 06:51:56
    Theresa
    +1
    None of them were involved in the writing of the law only checking the legality of it if implemented!
  • sglmom Theresa 2011/01/13 07:20:54
    +2
    THANKS .. I'm exhausted ... but I did remember that Ashcroft and Chertoff were involved in some way .. just couldn't remember how much ..
  • Prairie Wind 2011/01/13 06:18:19
    Prairie Wind
    +3
    Viet D. Dinh is referred to as the author of the Patriot Act. http://www.wired.com/politics...
    Their are additional contributions referenced in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...
  • Isma'il... Prairie... 2011/01/13 06:22:25
    Isma'ila (God has heard)!
    +3
    Thank you.
  • Hula gi... Prairie... 2011/01/13 06:37:04 (edited)
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +4
    Even Wikipedia credits Joe Biden as he is the one that wrote it.

It was written by, then Senator, now Vice President Joe Biden
    Look at your own link at the bottom.
  • Lucy Hula gi... 2011/01/13 17:26:02
    Lucy
    +2
    Under "People" credited for the Patriot Act are the following, I'm NOT seeing Joe Biden? I went to his link, and mine I gave you and cannot find Joe Biden, I know my eyes are not the best but can you show us WHERE they credit Joe Biden for writing the Patriot Act?

People
    George W. Bush · John Ashcroft · Alberto Gonzales · Patrick Leahy · Orrin Hatch · Jon Kyl · Dianne Feinstein · Viet D. Dinh · Jim Dempsey · Chuck Schumer · Lamar S. Smith · Bob Graham · Jay Rockefeller · Arlen Specter · Mike Oxley · Dick Armey · Paul Sarbanes · Trent Lott · Tom Daschle · Russ Feingold · Ellen Huvelle · Ron Paul · Lisa Murkowski · Ron Wyden · Dennis Kucinich · Larry Craig · John E. Sununu · Richard Durbin · Bernie Sanders · Jerrold Nadler · John Conyers, Jr. · Butch Otter
  • debadow Lucy 2011/01/16 08:19:16
    debadow
    Looks like both sides of the aisle.
  • Lucy debadow 2011/01/16 13:53:03
    Lucy
    +1
    Exactly, and until we can all admit it is BOTH sides of the aisle that are to "blame", and start admitting to the facts of WHO is and is not working TOGETHER to better this country for ALL, then come together and work towards that goal in all aspects of Government, and work together in the real world towards being a UNITED country, things will continue to degrade.

What I see missing here on SH is the willingness from both sides to debate about what can be done in the future for the better, instead of the constant nasty bickering about how bad the other is. Pretty pathetic when I look at the future for my children and grand children. Have a nice day!
  • debadow Lucy 2011/01/16 19:05:23
    debadow
    Hard to find any Politicians that are not working together.
  • Prairie... Hula gi... 2011/01/13 21:41:13 (edited)
    Prairie Wind
    The first link I reference spefically identfies Viet D. Dinh as the original author. However, the Wikipedia reference I inserted references others' additional contributions, as the bill progressed in passing.

The Wikipedia credit I referenced and the same you refer to with respect to Joe Biden, when thoroughly read, as I'm sure you have, maintains a consistent inclusion of Viet D. Dinh. Dinh started it, then the choir joined in.

* Added ... Go back to the 2003-2004 Congress and research through the Library of Congress THOMAS REGISTER. That's where you find the beginning of this with subsequent modifications with each Congressional session. I'd almost look at Pat Roberts introducing what was drafted by Dinh, rather than Joe Biden riding the periphery of legislation.

** More .. FLICC Forum 2002, Viet Dinh: Privacy vs Security http://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/0... Source .. Library of Congress
  • Theresa Prairie... 2011/01/13 06:52:46
    Theresa
    +2
    Wiki got this one wrong!
  • Andrew ~ PWCM 2011/01/13 06:17:14
    Andrew ~ PWCM
    +4
    Joe Biden did, in 1995 I believe. Scary huh?
  • Isma'il... Andrew ... 2011/01/13 06:17:46
    Isma'ila (God has heard)!
    +3
    That is scary.
  • Theresa Andrew ... 2011/01/13 06:55:10
    Theresa
    +2
    Joe Biden could not write anything. He is not intelligent enough nor is he savvy. This legislation was written for him and he sponsored it!
  • Andrew ... Theresa 2011/01/13 07:37:07
    Andrew ~ PWCM
    +1
    LOL, ok.
  • Riobhca 2011/01/13 06:09:57
    Riobhca
    +2
    Lawyers employed by the Justice Department authored it.
  • Isma'il... Riobhca 2011/01/13 06:18:03
    Isma'ila (God has heard)!
    +2
    What are their names?
  • Theresa Riobhca 2011/01/13 06:56:41
    Theresa
    +2
    No they did not they only check the legality questions on the possible implementation and gave recommendations to the Executive. The Executive Branch can not sponsor legislation!
  • Riobhca Theresa 2011/01/13 17:28:42
    Riobhca
    +1
    There indeed were certain lawyers who were in on actually writing it. I know one who told me that he did. What makes you think that the Executive branch never does anything that they're not supposed to do?
  • Theresa Riobhca 2011/01/13 22:55:21 (edited)
    Theresa
    +1
    No they can not write legislation what you heard was not exactly what that person said. The fact of checking legality is part of the legislative process but in no way is it writing the bill!

2014/07/26 09:12:55