If both parents die and leave behind an only child. There is no will, no next of kin, what happens to the child? If the parents have life insurance left to the child, but no will concerning the house or other assets what happens to those? Foster Care?

Jaime 2009/03/15 16:25:00

• Moderated 2009/03/15 17:37:41
    I don't know the answer, that is why I am asking
    Moderated
    The state intervenes....usually the states buries the deceased, they take over the estate, and place the child in the system (orphanage).
  • riverbeauty™ 2009/03/15 17:05:59
    riverbeauty™
    +1
    >>>If both parents die and leave behind an only child. There is no will, no next of kin, what happens to the child?

In the USA, the child would become a ward of the state and would be fostered or adopted unless the child turned 18 before those two things could happen.

>>>If the parents have life insurance left to the child, but no will concerning the house or other assets what happens to those? Foster Care?

Generally speaking, and this varies from state to state in probate law, the assets would be liquidated and held in a trust fund for the child till he or she was 18 or in college.

2014/07/24 00:15:21