If Benjamin Franklin could see America today, how do you think he would feel ?

Flash Gordon 2008/11/27 22:04:34
Yes! He would be proud of how we preserved freedom.
Surprised...Do we even understand the meaning of the word, freedom.
I wasted my life, for this?
Their a little off base, but not bad all thing taken int account.
If I could have know all this, I would have kissed king George.
It turned out better than I could have ever hoped.
Benjamin Franklin once said " In order to preserve freedom, the people must be constantly vigilant ". Have we lived up to his vision.

'.

• safari 2009/03/09 08:24:20
    safari
    +10
    He might not be that surprised because I think they knew what they established would be hard to keep and that is why there are so many famous quotes from the founding fathers that warn us of it. But I do think he would be disappointed we are where we are today. I bet he could whip us back into shape.

• Ronnie 2011/09/05 21:33:37
  • jhop 2010/03/22 12:42:51
    jhop
    +1
    It depends upon one's definition of freedom. The federalists brought their culture with them. They brought a conquerers mentality that was mildly tempered by the hardships of the vast wilderness. They had no experience of equality and so their initial great choices - how to relate with the indigenous, the transported Africans and the early waves of ethnic immigrants were a test of their definition of freedom. Old Ben had no idea how the expansion into a global community would attempt to stretch the republic into a democracy. We haven't quite gotten it yet ourselves as witnessed by the longing for unbridled individual rights over and above the common good.
  • Flash G... jhop 2010/03/22 17:57:39
    Flash Gordon
    It is our individual rights that make us a grate nation. If it is the common good your looking for look to communism.
  • jhop Flash G... 2010/03/29 18:11:53
    jhop
    I simply ascribe to the fact that one person's rights end where the next person's begin. This should be universal in any economic system.
  • zyledr 2010/03/07 05:12:03 (edited)
    zyledr
    +1
    I think this says it all. I wish we could get back to this type of government minus the slavery.

"A Republic, If You Can Keep It

by Jacob G. Hornberger, November 2001

AT THE CLOSE OF THE CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION, a woman asked Benjamin Franklin what type of government the Constitution was bringing into existence. Franklin replied, “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Regardless of one’s judgment concerning the type of government that the Constitution brought into existence in 1787, no one can deny that it was truly the most unusual and radical in history.

Consider: With the tragic exception of slavery, the United States was a society in which people could, by and large, engage in any occupation or economic enterprise without a government license, permit, or regulation.

Where people could travel anywhere in the world without restriction (no passports) and trade with whomever they pleased without the permission of their government officials.

Where people could accumulate unlimited amounts of wealth without government interference, because the Constitution did not permit the government to levy taxes on income.

Where people were free to do whatever they wanted with their own money — save, spend, donate, invest, hoard, or even destroy it.

Where government was not permitted to take care of peo...

"A Republic, If You Can Keep It

by Jacob G. Hornberger, November 2001

Where government was not permitted to take care of people — no Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, welfare, education grants, or foreign aid.

With a few exceptions (e.g., 1850s Massachusetts), there were no compulsory public (i.e., government) school systems.

No wars on drugs, poverty, or wealth.

And open borders for the free immigration of people from anywhere in the world."

http://www.fff.org/freedom/11...
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2010/03/06 19:39:04
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    And, "Of all my great ideas, why did they have to latch onto Daylight Savings Time?"
  • skunkman 2009/03/15 03:00:16
    I wasted my life, for this?
    skunkman
    +2
    He would be kicking some ass for the way we went from freedom to communisim. He would be organizing another revolution to over throw the governmant that the consitution was written to stop. Read the federalist papers and learn how our fore fathers tried to prevent what this government has become.
  • Beccy 2009/03/15 00:13:31
    +1
    I think he would be very sad. I do think in his heart he realized that we would give up the freedom they had worked so hard to achieve. Our forefathers showed alot of courage. Live was hard but many people came to America to live freely. I think after living through a war he would be surprised at how quickly we were willing to give up our liberty.
  • Surprised...Do we even understand the meaning of the word, freedom.
    Angel Among Us ♥†♥ American Patriot
    +2
    I think Ben Franklin would be very disappointed.
  • Lord Nils 2009/03/12 15:44:36
    I wasted my life, for this?
    Lord Nils
  • Chelsea 2009/03/11 19:11:45 (edited)
    Chelsea
  • Rileymo 2009/03/10 19:39:04
    Rileymo
    +1
    Much the way he did while he was alive. We still need to preserve our freedoms and we have much potential. We as a country are very young and have a long way to go but we are far from being out of the race.
  • Don Jr "In God We Trust" 2009/03/10 13:50:00
    Don Jr "In God We Trust"
    +4
    He would wonder why we would ever want to move towards socialism. All our forefathers are rolling over in their graves.
  • P-Funk 2009/03/10 03:28:35
    P-Funk
    +3
    I can't decide if he would be more furious at us for squandering the precious gift he and the other Founders sacrificed so much to give us, or if he would just be sickened by revulsion at our cowardice.
  • MJ 2009/03/10 02:35:42
    MJ
    +3
    What do you mean by "today." Contemporary times? The last decade or two? In such a case then I think he'd be muttering, "I wasted my time and energy trying to buildsomething great and this is what we got? I should've spent more time flying kites!!!"
  • Philadelphia Freedom 2009/03/10 02:27:12
    I wasted my life, for this?
    Philadelphia Freedom
    +1
    He is rolling over in his grave as we speak . wasted life rolling grave speak wasted life rolling grave speak
  • Legend 2009/03/09 21:06:50
    Legend
    +2
    I think Franklin would be very angry that we allowed our freedoms to be usurped! The U.S. Constitution was devised for 'the people' to control the country. And we sat on our hands and did nothing to stop it from slipping away.

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.

Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage."
  • Flash G... Legend 2009/03/09 21:26:50
    Flash Gordon
    +1
    You kown we're at then, and I agree.
  • Legend Flash G... 2009/03/09 21:45:25
    Legend
    +1
    Yep, we're there!

I was just reading this morning where nations last longer than empires.
  • Flash G... Legend 2009/03/09 22:02:48
    Flash Gordon
    +1
    What happens if a nation goes-on to become an empire? I think we both know. Ho my god, could this behappening to the United States, the land that we love?
  • Legend Flash G... 2009/03/10 22:45:34
    Legend
    +1
    Multiple ethnic groups define an empire. So, what is the government forcing upon us?
  • Greatbear100~support our vets 2009/03/09 20:04:56
    Greatbear100~support our vets
    +3
    He would be sad and upset that we gave up our principles and freedoms out of fear.
  • kimmykaye~Taking a break to... 2009/03/09 20:01:43
    I wasted my life, for this?
    kimmykaye~Taking a break to be with my Love~
  • mowerman-back to bust libs 2009/03/09 19:59:45
    mowerman-back to bust libs
    +1
    “A lady asked Dr. Franklin Well Doctor what have we got a republic or a monarchy. A republic replied the Doctor if you can keep it.”

We are moving away from a Republic more and more and a large # of Americans do not care or understands what this means!
  • plowboy 2009/03/09 19:16:22
    I wasted my life, for this?
    plowboy
    +1
    I think Benjamin Franklin would feel like a one legged man at an Ass Kicking Contest.

wasted life benjamin franklin feel legged ass kicking contest
  • Annette 2009/03/09 19:00:03
    Annette
    +1
    After he got done vomiting, I think he would march into Congress and give them a good piece of his mind, and then he would run for President! (And probably be defeated by the left.)
  • Seonag 2009/03/09 17:20:27
    Seonag
    +2
    And I'll add disappointed that we have let our Government take on so many of the trappings of British Rule that our forefathers found objectionable and fought against.
  • Floe 2009/03/09 16:55:11
    Floe
    +2
    He'd march right into Washington and give them a piece of his mind as he kicks Obama right out the front door.
  • WR 2009/03/09 16:49:57
    WR
    +2
    He would be shaking his head saying who is this Fraud Obama he knows nothing about freedom
  • woody 2009/03/09 16:05:34
    I wasted my life, for this?
    woody
    +1
    HE would roll over, and say now kiss this,you volted for BIG O now live with it!@#$%^ http://img.jeuxvideo.fr/downl...
  • seekthetruth 2009/03/09 16:01:01
    seekthetruth
    +4
    Get rid of all your 'professional' leaders, STOP welfare and all the other hand out programs, put family responsibility back in the families, give power back to individual states and last...
    PULL YOURSELVES UP BY THE BOOTSTRAPS AND GET BUSY SAVING THIS COUNTRY AND HER DEMOCRACY!!!
    ☆The Rock☆ * AFCL* The Sheriff!!
    +6
    I believe that this great man would see whats going on and he would be shocked.I believed if he could address the Congress he would lamblast them for being. so unconstitutional.The Founding Fathers are probably rolling over in ther grave since Obama has pushed us into European Socialism.Us Americans take our freedom for granted...What is going on today would cause our Founding Father to start another American Revolution... pushed european socialism americans freedom granted founding father american revolution .
  • Flash G... ☆The Ro... 2009/03/09 20:36:55
    Flash Gordon
    +1
    Your on point ,man!
  • patti 2009/03/09 15:25:24
    patti
    +6
    He would be disheartened that we have traded our freedoms for free stuff, and disappointed that we didnt cherish and protect the system that was created to keep us free.
    I also think he might see a glimmer of hope for us, that is if he looked deep enough through the smoke and mirrors of political rhetoric and saw us, those that still stand for the American way and have deep desire to remain free at all cost.
  • Flash G... patti 2009/03/09 20:42:50
    Flash Gordon
    +2
    You said alot. Their are alot of ture bule, red blooded, freedom loving, SodaHeads out there, I think he would be proud of.
  • patti Flash G... 2009/03/09 20:58:32
    patti
    +1
    Yes there are many and they are coming together.. It is a good time for America..
    After 9.11 there was a burst of American pride and love, it faded all to fast and became apathy.
    Now that apathy is turning to action, we have something to fight for.. Freedom. We are a nation of fighters, young and visionary. The very best country in the world.
    I love this country, and I want for it to be strong, brave and true to its citizens, for that to happen we have to be for this country, strong, brave and true to it.
  • Flash G... patti 2009/03/09 21:36:27
    Flash Gordon
    God bless America, long live freedom, and live or die for The Constitution of the Unithed States.
  • patti Flash G... 2009/03/09 21:45:38
    patti
    +1
    Thats right..
  • HighTech ~ We have elected ... 2009/03/09 15:02:26
    HighTech ~ We have elected the Enemy
    +2
    He would be sick to his stomach.
  • Gail-Saved "In God I Trust" 2009/03/09 14:54:55
    Gail-Saved "In God I Trust"
    +6
    He would say we have to go back to school and take a class called FREEDOM 101
    Photobucket

2014/12/20 12:07:03