If a 'Common Sense' political party was created, would you join?

HendrixFan 2011/03/08 15:20:33

Enough of this left, right, liberal, conservative, tea party, republican, democrat, or independent crap...what happened to common sense? Too much time is spent fighting about one's political views instead of focusing on fixing the issues plaguing this country...could a Common Sense approach work?

• Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2011/03/08 15:54:38
    No...it will never work
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +4
    I will be honest....America is still chained to the two party system....and common sense? Well it sounds good in theory, but what is common sense to one is not common sense to another. I know people who think anyone left of far right is "retarded". I know liberals the same way....they would never be able to put aside their feelings to agree on something for the greater good. People are too intrinsically stuck in their own values to see the value in someone else's.

GREAT question BTW, and maybe in the future something like this would work.

• frank 2011/03/27 02:36:40
    Yes...that sounds good
    frank
    +1
    I am sick and tired of listening to the garbage spewed by the liberal left that want to hand out freebies to citizens and illegal immigrants that abuse the tax payer money and live off the hard working people of this country
    I am sick and tired of listening to the garbage spewed by the ultra rich republicans that want to break unions and blame hard working Americans like teachers, police and fireman for the financial ruins that they put this country in. I am sick and tired of listening to the garbage spewed by the crazy tea party that uses scare tactics to get voters to place blame on someone else for their lot in life
    I guess if this new "common sense" party represented the middle 80% of Americans that
    work hard, want freedom of religion but not to be preached to, want to earn their money while not being abused by wealthy people that think they made their money with no help at all, understand that every human deserves quality health care if they are willing and able to work for it, to help people that are willing to help themselves, to take care of those that came before us and those that protect us, that understand that typical public
    employee takes less money for more security and that private employees take risks to make more money, then sure i would back that party!
  • Heather 2011/03/18 17:55:21 (edited)
    Yes...that sounds good
    Heather
    +1
    Amen, that is basically where I stand already (I don't classify myself as anything). Just would love for the government and other people here in America to understand it. I am so sick of the left vs. right, why not just try to move our country forward and help it back on its feet. I am also sick of hearing how "extreme"or "wrong" the other party is when in reality the two major party are practically the same in the whole of world-views. Intolerance over stupid things like differing views will get us nowhere (as many people posting in here and there ridiculous hatred for other political parties are only furthering my point). Use logic instead of party views to help America and thus help ourselves. Find solutions and compromise instead of trying to trample over everything the other party does.
  • LarryFine 2011/03/09 13:50:32
    LarryFine
    +1
    It's not about creating a new political party, it's about reforming the ones we have. Democrats (by label) refuse to admit the big government, socialist/progressive, radical left has taken over their label. There is no saving the Democrat label at this point.

Common sense has shown us that big government is a failure. The solution is taking the power and control away from the bureaucrats. Those of us who believe this can initiate change through the current two party system. 2010 was the start of this movement and we need to keep in in motion.
  • Soundstorm 2011/03/09 01:59:07
    Soundstorm
    Here's a novel idea. After liberals have failed at branding themselves as progressives, moderates and "no labels" all within the space of a decade, I believe they will eventually attempt to hijack "common sense" as defined by them.
  • Farnsworth 2011/03/09 00:07:10
    No...it will never work
    Farnsworth
    +3
    A new party will have to have an established structure, so how can a new party be viable right off the bat? Secondly, the best established 3rd party is the libertarian party, besides state and local elections, how many have seats in DC?

Any pro conservative party splits the republican vote, Dems win without a fight. Join and fix the republican party
  • Soundstorm Farnsworth 2011/03/09 02:03:10
    Soundstorm
    +1
    The GOP's a big tent and the Tea Party Libertarians are coming in to redecorate. Move it or lose it, RINOs.
  • Farnsworth Soundstorm 2011/03/09 03:33:01
    Farnsworth
    +2
    I'm good with that, RINO's ain't no better than Dems
  • Steve J~PWCM~JLA 2011/03/08 22:20:22
    Yes...that sounds good
    Steve J~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    But it would be co-opted by one or both of the regular parties, just as the other common sense party is fighting to not be.
  • BrianD3 2011/03/08 21:00:11
    BrianD3
    +1
    "common sense" would lead to a conservative party, and if that is what we get we should DEMAND that they;

1) represent us
    2) are not corrupt
    3) institute strict term limits
  • Pebbles 2011/03/08 20:02:10
    No...it will never work
    Pebbles
    The problem is that both the right and left think they have the most common sense, so another party claiming to be the common sense party would just be laughed at. I frankly would like a party that would take some things I like from both parties and combine them to make another party, but my guess is, if there was something like that they would take the things I don't like about each party, and I would be right back where I started.
  • BrianD3 Pebbles 2011/03/08 21:00:29
    BrianD3
    the left has no sense
  • Pebbles BrianD3 2011/03/08 21:39:15
    Pebbles
    Ha,ha, says someone from the right, who's been proven to have no sense, ala Bachmann, Palin, Bush.....................!
  • BrianD3 Pebbles 2011/03/08 21:44:25
    BrianD3
    who says that I supported any of those?
  • Nick Name 2011/03/08 19:52:40
    Nick Name
    +1
    I would immediately be interested. Would have to know more before deciding.
  • captkirk999 2011/03/08 19:33:20 (edited)
    No...it will never work
    captkirk999
    +1
    The truth is third parties are either people that want true liberalism (greens) or true conservatism (libertarian). The others are copies of these ideals.
  • danielria 2011/03/08 19:13:26
    Yes...that sounds good
    danielria
    +1
    Anthing would beat the two political party system. Time for a big change!
  • lrb 2011/03/08 18:49:52
    No...it will never work
    lrb
    +1
    It sounds good in theory, but doesn't seem realistic to put into practices. People have wide variances in what common sense is and more than a few seem to lack that gene at all.
  • micheleT BN-O 2011/03/08 17:45:56
    Yes...that sounds good
    micheleT BN-O
    +1
    Yes, it sounds wonderful!!
  • scbluesman13 2011/03/08 17:05:41
    No...it will never work
    scbluesman13
    +1
    Too many people on this site habitually glued to their political ideology. It would more likely turn into a group where common sense ideas were twisted and contorted to fit one political ideology over another - or one religious ideology over others, causing the same level of infantile bickering you see on so many other topic posts here on Sodahead.
    It's a good question to raise though. You might be successful with a group like this if you frame the discussion in an non-political and non-religious foundation.
  • Fillmore 2011/03/08 16:43:45
    Yes...that sounds good
    Fillmore
    +3
    I am an American with no political affiliation; so this sounds great. But cant help but think it is an oxymoron: common sense and politics. Like military intelligence and jumbo shrimp.
    affiliation sounds oxymoron common politics military intelligence jumbo shrimp common sense politics
  • trentinafur 2011/03/08 16:40:12
    No...it will never work
    trentinafur
    +2
    when my position (i.e., in support of education, or epa) is attacked as 'leftist-liberal' - my knee-jerk reaction is to say "this isn't a matter of left or right: this is common sense". The issue - as others have said - is 1) common sense is in the eye of the beholder, and 2) right-wingers have no common sense. ;-) :-p
  • wtxwoman 2011/03/08 16:26:44
    wtxwoman
    +1
    It sounds good, but would never work, because 'common sense' is such a ambiguous word. What seems like common sense to one may not to another and no one is willing to give ground.
  • RepublicanMAde 2011/03/08 16:24:29
    No...it will never work
    RepublicanMAde
    +2
    it will never work because the only common since there is is both sides agreeing and that will lever happen especially with communist obama in there
  • ScrooBius pip 2011/03/08 16:23:16
    Yes...that sounds good
    ScrooBius pip
    +3
    i don't know what that would look like, 'common sense' and 'politics' in the same sentence :)
  • Flowers ScrooBi... 2011/03/08 19:38:53
    Flowers
    +2
    it would probably self-destruct if attempted to write down together self-destruct attempted write explosion
  • JGF 2011/03/08 16:21:58 (edited)
    JGF
    +2
    I have not been partisan for decades, and am irritated that for voting the state where I live requires me to register as either democrat or republican. (When asked, I state "anarchist" just to rattle them.) Overall I am neither liberal nor conservative, so catch flak from both sides. Demographics people and pollsters despise me because I cannot be categorized, pigeonholed, or predicted. Think you have a party for me?
  • wtxwoman JGF 2011/03/08 16:28:35
    wtxwoman
    +2
    I'm the same way, except they don't pigeon hole you unless you vote in a primary. I think of myself as a Centrist, because I am for some liberal things and some conservative things.
  • Flowers wtxwoman 2011/03/08 19:38:07
    Flowers
    +1
    i like Centrist alot better then moderate! :)
  • wtxwoman Flowers 2011/03/08 19:42:08
    wtxwoman
    +2
    I consider myself to be a moderate, too. I don't like extremes in anything.
  • Flowers wtxwoman 2011/03/08 19:56:48
    Flowers
    +1
    I have yet to see how extreme ANYTHING does a bit of good.
  • wtxwoman Flowers 2011/03/08 20:15:52
    wtxwoman
    My thoughts exactly.
  • Jack's Pearl 2011/03/08 16:13:28
    Jack's Pearl
    +2
    Sounds great, but they would get wrapped up in the game just as much as any other political group.
  • bob 2011/03/08 16:05:29
    Yes...that sounds good
    bob
    +1
    WOW what a sorboring thought. How long would it work?
  • HendrixFan bob 2011/03/08 16:06:21
    HendrixFan
    Unfortunately probably not long.
  • lucky 2011/03/08 16:03:24
    Yes...that sounds good
    lucky
    +1
    That would be great, i dont believe that would ever have a chance in succeeding though.
    No...it will never work
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +4

• HendrixFan Assassi... 2011/03/08 15:56:34
    HendrixFan
    +2
    Thanks Assassin. I know this seems far fetched with everyone's differing political views, but at least it merits a discussion.
  • Assassi... HendrixFan 2011/03/08 15:58:40
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +2
    Aboslutely it does....I am trying to figure out how to share this with my friends....and since they put that dumb little sidebar there I don't see where to do it....GRRRRRR
  • HendrixFan Assassi... 2011/03/08 16:05:25
  • Assassi... HendrixFan 2011/03/08 16:08:33
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +2
    Thats right....people better step aside or become a head shorter.

2014/08/20 08:53:23