Ice Cream Prices May Go Up Due to Vanilla Shortage: Will You Still Be Buying?

Ice cream prices could be on the verge of a price hike, The London Daily Telegraph reports. The problem? Vanilla pod shortages. Apparently production is down worldwide, from India to Mexico, leading to grim predictions for the ice cream eaters of the world. Vanilla prices are already up from $25 per kilogram to nearly $40 a kilogram, but so far ice cream producers are taking the hit.

Nick Peksa, a Mintec market analyst, thinks it will affect ice cream across the board. He explained, "The stocks in the world are being run down, and we are getting to a point now where we are likely to see the price suddenly shoot upwards. It is the most expensive ingredient in ice cream production per kilogram, so it is highly likely that some producers will not be able to absorb the extra cost. It could push the price of ice cream up by around 10 per cent." Will the potential price hike keep you from buying ice cream this summer?

• dv 2012/04/04 17:33:06
    dv
    +1
    Don't eat it much now not going to pay more for ice cream they can keep it bad enough gas keeps going up
  • S.M. 2012/04/04 17:30:41
    S.M.
    +2
    I don't buy Ice cream very often and usually only when it is on sale. So if it goes up even more I am sure not going to spend my money on that.
  • emface 2012/04/04 17:29:12
    emface
    +2
    Home made ice cream is the best! Why buy processed/overpriced? ^_^
  • Maleficent 2012/04/04 17:24:40
    Maleficent
    +1
    "Everything's going up but your wages."

---- quote from my dad.
  • dv Maleficent 2012/04/04 17:33:54
    dv
    +1
    He's right
  • Maleficent dv 2012/04/04 22:46:12
    Maleficent
    +1
    i know.
  • dv Maleficent 2012/04/15 01:31:34
    dv
    =)
  • ChocolateAttack 2012/04/04 16:49:37
    ChocolateAttack
    +1
    i don't really eat ice cream... and now that it would be more expensive, the posibilities are even lower
  • the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA 2012/04/04 16:45:02 (edited)
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Yep It will Any shortages equals rise in prices. But I am addicted to Klondike Bars in the summer.
  • Nathan 2012/04/04 16:37:33
    Nathan
    +1
    Don't eat ice cream anyway, or dessert for that matter. You get used to it.
  • cjd 2012/04/04 16:34:39
    cjd
    +1
    definitely
  • richwright 2012/04/04 16:30:12
    richwright
    +1
    I hate vanilla anyhow. I'm a chocolate guy.
  • B1TCHbeMEAN 2012/04/04 16:12:38 (edited)
    B1TCHbeMEAN
  • frozenfire 2012/04/04 16:09:56
    frozenfire
    I would not give up icecream for the world :P
  • Skye 2012/04/04 16:00:13 (edited)
    Skye
    +2
    Hopefully it will help with some obese problems though.
  • CODE 11 2012/04/04 15:56:10
    CODE 11
    I can live without it
  • boiyaza 2012/04/04 15:54:54 (edited)
    boiyaza
    +5
    We still got vanilla ice vanilla ice
    Oh you said would still buy my fault
  • Avril Lavigne 2012/04/04 15:37:01
    Avril Lavigne
    +2
    Cant resist ice cream! ;)
  • Fred 2012/04/04 15:34:58
    Fred
    +1
    Not me
  • SODAHEADSHEAD 2012/04/04 15:12:58
    SODAHEADSHEAD
    +2
    Uhhh... Yes but I don't buy a lot to begin with.
  • Rebel Yell 2012/04/04 14:58:50
    Rebel Yell
    +4
    Neither rain nor snow nor an infestation of locusts will keep me from Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia or the Homemade Vanilla from that little creamery in Brenham, Texas.
  • Bigbrowneyes 2012/04/04 14:49:09
    Bigbrowneyes
    +4
    I only eat icecream a few times a year...On family's birthdays or as an occasional treat, so paying a few extra bucks isn't a big deal to me.
  • Kigan 2012/04/04 14:43:02
    Kigan
    +1
    I don't really buy ice cream anyway.
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/04/04 14:34:41
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +2
    i HAVE GIVEN UP ALL MY VICES BUT THERE IS NOWAY I'M GIVING UP MY ICE CREAM, NO MATTER WHAT!
  • smitty 2012/04/04 14:34:21
    smitty
    +2
    I'll just buy chocolate then!

wink
  • FAM of the OMC 2012/04/04 14:34:04
    FAM of the OMC
    +2
    Shortage of vanilla?
    No worries, I only eat chocolate and strawberry.
    I'm sure this will mean a 10 cent per gallon increase at the gas pump as well.
  • JP 2012/04/04 14:33:19
    JP
    +1
    I meant yes...even though my family won't be able to afford the gas to get to DQ we can still ride the bike!
  • shadow 2012/04/04 14:25:41
    shadow
    +4
    Or I will make my own... both are pretty good... pretty
  • smitty shadow 2012/04/04 14:35:36
    smitty
    +3
    We make our own many times throughout the spring summer and fall. It is fun to experiment.
  • Jose Hernandez 2012/04/04 14:16:24
    Jose Hernandez
    +2
    I might but I also care about the company from whom I purchase Lets boycott Ben&Jerry;'s.
  • jtfm 2012/04/04 14:03:12
    jtfm
    +2
    It is time to move onto sorbets, sherbets, and Italian Ice.
  • **Heart-Breaker** 2012/04/04 13:13:56
    **Heart-Breaker**
    +1
    I dont c why they doin dat though i dont even like vanilla ice cream except for if itts wit Cookies n Cream ice cream (my favorite)
  • Rich Knoch 2012/04/04 12:37:46
    Rich Knoch
    +2
    Wait till we hear obama blame this on G.W.☺

Price increases, across the board, are due primarily to the massive devaluation of our dollar, thanks to this administration's spending binge and the Feds uncontrolled creation of 'virtual cash'.
    http://www.moneynews.com/Head...
  • Jose He... Rich Knoch 2012/04/04 14:15:01
    Jose Hernandez
    +2
    How funny he blames other people for his failures.
  • Jen Jose He... 2012/04/04 19:44:19
    Jen
    +2
    How funny you are all so quick to judge. He's human he can't fix every single problem. There really aren't THAT many things the President can do about the economy. Giving rich people more money doesn't seem like the best idea to me. Especially when the middle class tightens their belts more and more and more. How do people get rich in the first place, they save their money, right? So why should we give more tax breaks and money to people who are just going to save it?

Please honestly answer and don't give me crap about Obama being a Muslim or whatever crap some of the crazies spout. Honestly answer me, why should we give rich people more money, if they are just going to save it. Or worse put it in offshore accounts.
  • Rich Knoch Jen 2012/04/05 16:32:28
    Rich Knoch
    He could simply open drilling instead of incinerating Billions on Green Energy Projects that are failing . . . . or have already failed.

Serious drilling and development of other 'proven' energy products, plus increased food production would rapidly halve he cost of fuel and everything you buy. The world is our marketplace as energy (primarily oil and gas) and food are "in demand" products everywhere.

Few, if any . . . . work for a poor person . . . most everyone works for someone who risks their assets for a potential return . . . to raise their standard of living, which raises the standard of living for all their employees.

When the government creates jobs it always (100% of the time) cost taxpayers and increases the deficit because the government rarely, if ever, produces a product that can be sold for more than the cost of the product.
  • Jen Rich Knoch 2012/04/07 12:44:17
    Jen
    Not one bit of what you said makes sense, and you never really answered my question. Why so much hatred? I just finally want someone rascist to have a set of balls and be like yeah I hate him bc he's black. But no one has had a set yet, I'm waiting!

The president cannot truly create jobs. Mitt Romney can't and neither can Obama. There are things that fall out of the scope of the presidency. And he cannot force green initiatives to work or fail.

You are blaming him for things that never were his to control or change in the first place.

My city has a wind mill and we just saved 4.5 million dollars. We can afford to pay the fire department and police department and no lay anyone off.

The oil is almost gone. It is a fossil fuel. And the supply is limited. Wouldn't it be smarter to find new and cheaper ways of running cars and moving our industry? Not to mention gulf coast anyone? Wow you republicans have an EXTREMLY short memory sometimes. I have an idea. So I feel like the south was right and we are too big to be a country. Lets just split it into 3's the east coast, west coast and the Jesus land in the middle. That way you can pass your psycho old testament laws with reckless abandon. And we on the east and west coasts, we can FINALLY have a system of democratic socialis...

The oil is almost gone. It is a fossil fuel. And the supply is limited. Wouldn't it be smarter to find new and cheaper ways of running cars and moving our industry? Not to mention gulf coast anyone? Wow you republicans have an EXTREMLY short memory sometimes. I have an idea. So I feel like the south was right and we are too big to be a country. Lets just split it into 3's the east coast, west coast and the Jesus land in the middle. That way you can pass your psycho old testament laws with reckless abandon. And we on the east and west coasts, we can FINALLY have a system of democratic socialism that finally works because we've gotten rid of the welfare poor ass red states!!!! Perfect solution. You all get what you want and we get what we want. AND we don't have to deal with you anymore!
  • Rich Knoch Jen 2012/04/12 14:48:34 (edited)
    Rich Knoch
    The president can create an environment (taxes, regulations, control) that either encourages economic growth or discourages it. The only hate I read on these pages is your attribution of hate to those who make rational economic decisions.

Windmills work but they have to be supplemented by fossil fuel or nuclear energy electric generation . . . . unless you choose to have no electric when the wind doesn't blow. Wind and Solar generate approximately 2% of our electric and will, for decades, not be viable as they are intermittent producers that rely on the wind blowing or the sun shining.

If you would further examine who paid for your windmill it may not have been a wise economic decision?
  • Jose He... Jen 2012/04/11 14:29:38
    Jose Hernandez
    Well I guess they will give that money to family in their wills. When they die it has to go somewhere.
  • GD 2012/04/04 12:23:36
    GD
    +1
    Those greedy Ice Cream companies, they're making record profits at our expense! Hell no I won't buy!

2014/07/28 20:39:55