I want my damn Social Security money back!!!

☆The Rock☆ * AFCL* The Sheriff!! 2013/02/21 17:49:35
Yes, I do, give me my money back!!
No, I trust the government!!
I have came to the conclusion that I want all the Social Security money back!! I am sorry but I have no faith in my government to manage my money..I think American should have a choice if they rather invest it or let government manage my money! I am amused that they call it a Social Security Trust Fund..Well, there is no security or do I trust the dumbasses in DC to manage the money!! I want my money back before they squander it on another war or loot it some other way! I want my damn Social Security money back! How about you??

• Jackie G - Poker Playing Pa... 2013/02/21 17:56:35 (edited)
    +9
    Well, your money is gone, poof, no real account, no lock box, no savings account - just a pile of IOU"S in a dusty cobwebbed box. We would all have done better with a pass book savings account at 1% interest and that is lousy. Of course, the democrats tell us that we cannot have any of that money (that they are guarding for us - HA) because we are simply too stupid to invest any part of it for ourselves.

Sorry Rock, you gots no money in there

• Striker Todd Th... 2013/02/22 20:18:34 (edited)
    Striker
    Most TV "news" networks should be turned off; Fox not so much; at least they run Stossel and Napolitano for some balance.
  • Todd Th... Striker 2013/02/22 21:08:38
    Todd The Libertarian
    Fox is propoganda just like msnbc to me.Why the hell were they not reporting on the Bush crew spending like drunks?
  • Striker Todd Th... 2013/02/22 21:28:45 (edited)
    Striker
    ? you're a Libertarian but don't like Stossel or the Judge?

You're making me wonder just what you do stand for?
    Let's try to be on the plus side of something, at least!
  • Todd Th... Striker 2013/02/22 21:34:25 (edited)
    Todd The Libertarian
    +1
    Never have watched them,I will give them a shot.Have not watched cable news since the bail out.
  • Striker Todd Th... 2013/02/22 21:46:39
    Striker
    I don't watch any of them much at all. I guess I prefer expanding my own mind over absorbing what all the marxists keep bringing upon us.
  • Todd Th... Striker 2013/02/22 23:18:13
    Todd The Libertarian
    I do not watch them because both the tea party and the libs want the govt in our buissness.
  • Quietman ~PWCM~JLA 2013/02/21 18:23:30
    Quietman   ~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    Many people believe that Social Security is an “earned right.” That is, they think that because they have paid Social Security taxes, they are entitled to receive Social Security benefits. The government encourages that belief by referring to Social Security taxes as “contributions,” as in the Federal Insurance Contribution Act. However, in the 1960 case of Fleming v. Nestor, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that workers have no legally binding contractual rights to their Social Security benefits, and that those benefits can be cut or even eliminated at any time.

The Court’s decision was not surprising. In an earlier case, Helvering v. Davis (1937), the Court had ruled that Social Security was not a contributory insurance program, saying, “The proceeds of both the employee and employer taxes are to be paid into the Treasury like any other internal revenue generally, and are not earmarked in any way.”

In other words, Social Security is not an insurance program at all. It is simply a payroll tax on one side and a welfare program on the other. Your Social Security benefits are always subject to the whim of 535 politicians in Washington. Congress has cut Social Security benefits in the past and is likely to do so in the future. In fact, given Social Security’s financial crisis, bene...

In other words, Social Security is not an insurance program at all. It is simply a payroll tax on one side and a welfare program on the other. Your Social Security benefits are always subject to the whim of 535 politicians in Washington. Congress has cut Social Security benefits in the past and is likely to do so in the future. In fact, given Social Security’s financial crisis, benefit cuts are almost inevitable. Several proposals to cut benefits, from increasing the retirement age to means testing, are already being debated

http://www.cato.org/publicati...
  • Striker Quietma... 2013/02/22 15:17:06 (edited)
    Striker
    +1
    Fact is, SS turns out to be merely another way of forced taxation a.k.a. theft. Never trust a government to play banker. When FedGov goes bust, there will be no more checks for SS or anything else, and FedGov will become extinct. It's only a matter of *when*.
  • Joe The... Quietma... 2013/02/26 14:04:53
    Joe The Economist
    +1
    Social Security is already means-tested.

What are you doing about it?
  • 56lady☆POTL JLA BTO-t- BCRA... 2013/02/21 18:22:30
    No, I trust the government!!
    56lady☆POTL JLA BTO-t- BCRA-F's
    +3
    That will NEVER happen !!! LOL :)

monkey laughing gif
  • ☆The Ro... 56lady☆... 2013/02/21 18:39:32 (edited)
    ☆The Rock☆ * AFCL* The Sheriff!!
    +3
    Yes I know but damnit it I am right on what I am saying!
  • 56lady☆... ☆The Ro... 2013/02/21 19:08:32
    56lady☆POTL JLA BTO-t- BCRA-F's
    +2
    I know you're right Rock I am with you all the way !! :)
  • Kat ♪ ~ ♪ 2013/02/21 18:20:09
    Yes, I do, give me my money back!!
    Kat ♪ ~ ♪
    +6
    And all the other monies they stole under one guise and used or wasted for something else.
  • Joe The... Kat ♪ ~ ♪ 2013/02/26 14:08:28
    Joe The Economist
    'Stole'? Where is the theft?

The money that you contributed was given to your parents and grandparents by politicians who they voted for. If you think that is stealing, yell at your parents, but let's quit pretending that the money was spent on pork projects and illegal immigrants.

This isn't stealing or waste. It is your parents mugging you.
  • Kat ♪ ~ ♪ Joe The... 2013/02/26 19:51:18
    Kat ♪ ~ ♪
    The money I contribute is taken from my pay if they use it for something other than what you earmarked it for it is theft. Liberal twat.
  • Joe The... Kat ♪ ~ ♪ 2013/02/26 20:47:10
    Joe The Economist
    You seem better at name calling than research. It is can't be earmarked - Heverling v Davis 1937. There is no indication that the money has been spent on anything other than benefits. What little excess cash that there is is invested in govt securities no differently than in private pensions.
  • Kat ♪ ~ ♪ Joe The... 2013/02/26 20:51:55
    Kat ♪ ~ ♪
    BS it's been fleeced and they are taking from people knowing full well they will never get the benefit of their money in return. try to get a clue.
  • Joe The... Kat ♪ ~ ♪ 2013/02/26 21:42:35
    Joe The Economist
    You keep babbling on about stealing and fleeced. There is nothing in the public record that suggests that Social Security is doing anything other than what is advertised. The govt takes from workers and gives to retirees. There isn't even any deception. You know that you aren't getting your money back. Where is the fleeced in this equation?

The govt takes money from people today who are too lazy to vote to fix the system. 80% of the country thinks that the system is heading for crisis. Yet we get to pick between candidates who agree on nothing except Social Security is 'stucturally sound'. Quit complaining and do something about it.

Thus far, you have shown that you are not even willing to research the problem.
  • Kat ♪ ~ ♪ Joe The... 2013/02/26 21:44:42
    Kat ♪ ~ ♪
    Right what are you 12.
  • EllaBella 2013/02/21 18:02:42
    EllaBella
    +4
    I don't think I care if they give any back, but it would be awesome if they'd quit taking it out and just admit that people under the age of 55 aren't going to have the benefit of Social Security.
  • Joe The... EllaBella 2013/02/26 14:10:40
    Joe The Economist
    Awesome isn't a matter of luck. You have to organize with like minded people. Today anyone 47 or younger expects to retire after the Trust Fund is gone. The government says that you will still get 75% of your benefits. What they aren't saying is that they assume that future workers will continue to pissaway 12.4% of their wages on a system that is in collapse.
  • Grabitz 2013/02/21 18:02:05
    Grabitz
    +4
    Don't forget your mom and dads that they paid in for countless of years . That should be rightfully yours as well .
  • Joe The... Grabitz 2013/02/26 14:12:43
    Joe The Economist
    The problem is that moms and dads didn't pay in as much as they planned to collect. Someone retiring in 1960 expected to collect $7 of benefits for every one contributed. The average retiree in 1985 expected to collect 3 or 4 dollars of benefits for every one contributed. That return has continued to collapse. Today people entering the system on average expect to get a negative return.
  • Grabitz Joe The... 2013/02/26 14:29:34
    Grabitz
    Yeah well it should have worked out that way but the money was mismanaged and taken out for other purposes other then what it was entrusted for . Someone had to pay for those bombs because the rich are all on welfare and cant afford to protect their own best of interest so they got the old folks to foot the bill .
  • Joe The... Grabitz 2013/02/26 21:46:09
    Joe The Economist
    Are you kidding me? Here is the business model : we sell dollars for dimes. And you think that business is heading for crash?

There is no evidence of mismanagement or that any money was borrowed on unfavorable terms (until Benny and the ZIRP came to town). Not one penny of the defense budget comes from Social Security so you are simply wrong about bombs.
  • Grabitz Joe The... 2013/02/26 22:04:53
    Grabitz
    The money was in a trust fund not to be touched for any reason . All they did was shuffel the money around to make it look that it wasnt spent on war that we paid for one way or another . The money is gone just billions in what basicly is no more then IOUs .
    ss money IOU
  • Joe The... Grabitz 2013/02/27 00:12:52
    Joe The Economist
    "The money was in a trust fund not to be touched for any reason"

You want to change the terms of the system. Not touched for any reason is silly. The money was supposed to be touched. It was supposed to be immediately distributed to beneficiaries. If you think that you paid into a system that will use your contribution to repay you then you didn't bother to research the system.

These are the terms. You paid into Social Security which gave the money to other retirees on the basis that future workers might do the same for you. Those are the terms. Those have been the terms for the last 70 years. If you don't like them, you should have voted for someone else. If future workers aren't willing to do the same, then you will get back less. You may get back zero. That was a possibility, and it is too bad that you didn't research the system more.
  • RogerCoppock 2013/02/21 18:00:31
    No, I trust the government!!
    RogerCoppock
    +1
    "I think American should have a choice if they rather invest it or let government manage my money!"

I'm retired. I know a lot of retired people. Why is it that the retired people who make statements like the one quoted above also tell stories about how they lost their fortunes in the stock market?
  • ☆The Ro... RogerCo... 2013/02/21 18:08:21
  • RogerCo... ☆The Ro... 2013/02/21 18:09:30
    RogerCoppock
    "It should be my damn choice."

Nope! And we won't let you commit suicide either.
  • ☆The Ro... RogerCo... 2013/02/21 18:22:54
    ☆The Rock☆ * AFCL* The Sheriff!!
    +4
    WTF, are you talking about?? You are just another government sheeple that thinks government should take care of you from cradle to grave? Do you want Mommy government to wipe your ass too??
  • THE One... RogerCo... 2013/02/21 18:41:24
  • RogerCo... THE One... 2013/02/21 18:43:01
    RogerCoppock
    +1
    "Whether someone commits suicide is something you have no control over."

Yes, we do. Consult your local police reports.
  • THE One... RogerCo... 2013/02/21 18:53:26
  • Turings... RogerCo... 2013/02/21 18:12:37
    TuringsChild
    +3
    I lost MY fortune to govt bureaucrats. :p
  • RogerCo... Turings... 2013/02/21 18:13:38
    RogerCoppock
    You'll have to explain that one. LOL!
  • ☆The Ro... Turings... 2013/02/21 18:23:43
    ☆The Rock☆ * AFCL* The Sheriff!!
    +3
    With government you will lose your ass..Those clowns don't have a damn clue!!
  • Joe The... RogerCo... 2013/02/26 14:24:17
    Joe The Economist
    Why is it that the retired people make statements about Social Security working....

One reason is that people who are retired today did not pay the full cost of Social Security. They act like 'I paid in', when they paid a fraction of what workers today pay. If they had paid, we wouldn't be in the mess we are today.

Today, the system has on average a negative return. Maybe if retirees today had paid the full amount of their pension, the system would have been fixed long ago.
    +9

Sorry Rock, you gots no money in there
  • Logical... Jackie ... 2013/02/21 19:06:49
    Logical American
    +1
    Not all Democrats love social security.

2014/12/21 06:58:56