I Pledge Allegiance... or do you?

shadow 2008/03/26 14:53:04
Yes, without question
No, I do not believe in America
Maybe, if it starts doing what I think should be done
IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America
hen in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.

He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.

He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.

He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected, whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers.

He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.

He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil Power.

He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

For quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:

For protecting them, by a mock Trial from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:

For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:

For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:

For depriving us in many cases, of the benefit of Trial by Jury:

For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences:

For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies

For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.

He has plundered our seas, ravaged our coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.

He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation, and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & Perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.

He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our British brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. — And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

— John Hancock

New Hampshire:
Josiah Bartlett, William Whipple, Matthew Thornton

Massachusetts:
John Hancock, Samuel Adams, John Adams, Robert Treat Paine, Elbridge Gerry

Rhode Island:
Stephen Hopkins, William Ellery

Connecticut:
Roger Sherman, Samuel Huntington, William Williams, Oliver Wolcott

New York:
William Floyd, Philip Livingston, Francis Lewis, Lewis Morris

New Jersey:
Richard Stockton, John Witherspoon, Francis Hopkinson, John Hart, Abraham Clark

Pennsylvania:
Robert Morris, Benjamin Rush, Benjamin Franklin, John Morton, George Clymer, James Smith, George Taylor, James Wilson, George Ross

Delaware:
Caesar Rodney, George Read, Thomas McKean

Maryland:
Samuel Chase, William Paca, Thomas Stone, Charles Carroll of Carrollton

Virginia:
George Wythe, Richard Henry Lee, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Harrison, Thomas Nelson, Jr., Francis Lightfoot Lee, Carter Braxton

North Carolina:
William Hooper, Joseph Hewes, John Penn

South Carolina:
Edward Rutledge, Thomas Heyward, Jr., Thomas Lynch, Jr., Arthur Middleton

Georgia:
Button Gwinnett, Lyman Hall, George Walton

Yes, without question
    +7
    I pledge my allegiance willingly and happily. I have much to be grateful for and would rather be here than in any other country (I have traveled to many.) We have problems, yes but they are not unsolvable. We, as a Nation of diverse individuals, keep working towards 'perfection' every day in small and large ways; this is the testament to our great American spirit.

• AMERAKITA 2008/08/04 23:52:06
    Yes, without question
    AMERAKITA
    +1
    AND Forever
  • Icedragon1969 2008/07/11 21:07:07
    Icedragon1969
    Does the fact that I will not utter the word "indivisible" mean anything?

undecided utter indivisible
  • Shrek 2008/04/29 15:39:10 (edited)
    Yes, without question
    Shrek
    +1
    I will stand for America no matter what or where she is going. I love this country like a parent loves a child. I will defend America to the death against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Lt. U.S. Army
  • shadow Shrek 2008/04/29 16:51:58
    shadow
    Exceptionally well said! Bravo! Shrek!

And Thank you for responding. It is much appreciated.
  • Dave**Gay for Girls** 2008/04/29 15:34:49
  • shadow Dave**G... 2008/04/29 16:52:55
    shadow
    I agree with you... and Thank You for responding.
  • Jen**GPAC** 2008/04/29 15:31:28
    Yes, without question
    Jen**GPAC**
    +1
    more than most.
  • shadow Jen**GP... 2008/04/29 16:53:33
    shadow
    +1
    Hey there Jen.... Thanks for responding.
  • Jen**GP... shadow 2008/04/29 16:58:59
    Jen**GPAC**
    +1
    youre welcome.. :)
  • Hef 2008/04/29 13:24:12
    Hef
    +4
    Many seem to think that in order to be patriotic one must fall in line with 'My country; right or wrong'. This nation has stood on a number of righteous princeples for the past 232 years, and because of these principles i believe in i chose to serve this nation. But i did not, nor will i serve anything blindly. This nation has obviously and understandable demonstrated many faults through it's history, and i pledged to protect her from 'all enemies, foreign and domestic'. The past, right or wrong, is the past and there is nothing any one of us can do about it or apologize for. Today, however, i feel our peoples most dangerous enemies are those domestic, and 'leaders' like these i will not follow.
  • shadow Hef 2008/04/29 15:26:06 (edited)
    shadow
    +1
    Good answer Hef. I appreciate your comments, and I do understand where you are coming from.

I too "believe" the principles on which this country was founded. I pledge my allegiance to my "country", "America". I do not pledge my allegiance to a person within "government" or the "government" itself.

However, do I agree with everything our government does? That brings a resounding "NO". Can I stop the government from doing these things? Yes, sometimes I can, but only with the help of like minded people.

You are correct... the past is the past... scratching at a scar only serves to make it bleed again, and make the scar larger and more uglier the next time it is able to heal.

We no longer have "leaders" in the sense that America was founded on because "we" have let politics dictate to the American people. When we put a strong American with good ideas in as POTUS, we let other political bodies tie the President's hands by refusing to pass new programs, laws, "packages" or even acknowledging their existence in some circumstances.

Politics and politicians are America's most laughable joke on itself.

We have to insist upon "integrity", as well as, "moral integrity" in our government,... before we will be able to find a field of honor level enough for all to be on.
  • Hef shadow 2008/04/29 15:39:36
    Hef
    +1
    Right on
  • shadow Hef 2008/04/29 16:55:25
    shadow
    +1
    (Duppie gonna catch ya rass mon ef ya don't quit smoken dat monkey weed...)

(That's ganja to the rest of you....)
  • Hef shadow 2008/04/29 17:01:27 (edited)
    Hef
    +1
    Duppy ain' gwan cetch i and i but yet. Nwo, dem baldhead cain' see i and i wit dem ganj . . . RAS!
  • shadow Hef 2008/04/29 17:03:44
    shadow
    +1
    The locals at Crossroads did not know I was not a native....

• Hef shadow 2008/04/29 17:05:49
    Hef
    +1
    That's tough to do. Nice work.
  • shadow Hef 2008/04/29 17:06:47
    shadow
    eh... vodo dog.... gwa way...
  • Hef shadow 2008/04/29 17:12:08
    Hef
    +1
    Nah, Ras. Dem gwa dem way, i gwa i, turn dem say he', de whetha' betta' 'ere.
  • shadow Hef 2008/04/30 02:16:50
  • Chartreuse Dog ~COB 2008/04/07 21:37:59
    Yes, without question
    Chartreuse Dog ~COB
    +2
    But I don't consider loyalty to my country to be synonymous with blindly supporting everything my government does. I believe I have a patriotic duty to try to right wrongs as I see them.
  • shadow Chartre... 2008/04/29 15:31:44
    shadow
    Thank you for responding Chartreuse...

I do understand where you are coming from... good answer.
  • angie ~ MCCAIN / PALIN 08 2008/04/02 02:11:23
  • shadow angie ... 2008/04/29 16:10:54
    shadow
    +1
    Thank you Angie! I do so love to read your responses.... they are always well put together.

I like that you too understand that "pledging our allegiance to this country" is not the same as "supporting all that our government does"... or does not do, as the case may be....

Regarding Katrina... I probably have a much different take....

While I have never lived there:
    I knew that the area was subject to hurricanes by virtue of its location;
    I knew that it was a "low lying" state subject to flooding;
    I knew it was a state that was reported to be "sinking" (as is Florida) for more than the past twenty years;
    I knew that repair of the levees was an ongoing discussion by Louisiana government...; and,
    I knew that nothing was being done about maintaining or repairing them.

Does that make me to blame? Hardly.
    Does that make our government to blame? Hardly.
    Does it make Louisiana's political structure to blame? Completely!

Should the "American Government" have been the first respondant? No, Louisiana's government chose to look the other way and not fix the levees. Then, after hurrican Katrina, Nagin did not want to assume any part of the blame and pointed his finger towards Washington.... and suddenly it became President Bush's fault.... WHAT? Hello?...

Anytime local government fai..."'"""

""""""

""

While I have never lived there:

Does that make me to blame? Hardly.

Anytime local government fails at performance... suddenly it is "Big Daddy Government's" fault to get things done? This mentality is laughable. When is a state supposed to be responsible for itself? Is that why we have government?... Like a petty cash to be dipped into (including our social security) anytime someone cries "I want more money". At what point does a state become responsible for itself?

Yes, I believe our government should "help out" in disasters, such as Katrina... but I do not believe our "government" should bear the responsibility of " initial preparedness" that should rest squarely on the shoulders of the individual state.

I am not the only person to feel angry when I see the finger pointed at someone else, when, in fact, the real responsibility rests squarely with the person pointing the finger. Louisiana, not Washington, DC, had ample time and resources to maintain and repair the levees... but did not do so because the area itself was deemed to be of "no value" by its own political wheels.

Ok... I climbing down off the box now,... and I will give you a hand up if you so choose to need it...
  • angie ... shadow 2008/04/29 16:37:37
  • shadow angie ... 2008/04/29 17:01:13
    shadow
    +1
    Kudos Lady.... !!! Many, many, Kudos!
  • Lyssa 2008/03/29 04:58:50
    Yes, without question
    Lyssa
    +2
    But not without question. If we never question anything, nothing ever changes and sometimes goverments need to change. I love everything that the Declartion of Independence represents but so many of those ideas and values have been lost over time.
  • shadow Lyssa 2008/04/29 16:13:04
    shadow
    Thank you for your response and feelings. I do appreciate your time... and I completely agree that we have lost many of our "values" over time....

We need to stop letting them slip away...
  • Raymond 2008/03/29 04:51:05
    Yes, without question
    Raymond
    +1
    We are still the worlds last, best hope, and I am damn proud of that.
  • shadow Raymond 2008/03/29 21:22:07
    shadow
    And I'm damn proud there are people like you!
  • Space Monkey 2008/03/27 23:19:22
    Space Monkey
    +1
    undecided without clarification
  • shadow Space M... 2008/03/27 23:50:50
    shadow
    Thanks Space Monkey....
  • anon 2008/03/27 14:33:28
    No, I do not believe in America
    anon
    +1
    no, at this point i have almost lost faith in humanity.
  • shadow anon 2008/03/27 20:11:16 (edited)
    shadow
    +2
    I'm sorry you feel that way Anon. For me, "Faith" is something "within" me.

I think "faith" is what you have when there is nothing left.
  • Dustin ... shadow 2008/03/27 22:38:43
    Dustin ~NBA
    +1
    Almost... but to only grab for faith when there is nothing left?
  • Dustin ... anon 2008/03/27 22:36:21
    Dustin ~NBA
    +2
    Don't lose faith! You are not alone. Just make sure you hang around the right crowd ;-)
  • Dustin ~NBA 2008/03/27 07:52:14 (edited)
    Dustin ~NBA
    +2
    It's all there in the TEXT! The Video totally contradicts the TEXT

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

The Definition of Liberty:
    Liberty, in modern time, is generally considered a concept of political philosophy and identifies the condition in which an individual has the ability TO ACT ACCORDING
    TO HIS OR HER WILL.

"That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it"

"From the consent of the governed"! Today 29 percent of Americans
    say the results of the war were worth it; 64 percent say they were not.
    Yet the BushAdministration, and McCain will stay in Iraq DESPITE not having
    "consent" from the governed (That's US!)

Do you feel like the Government derives their powers from YOUR CONSENT?

Then the video shows soldiers kissing Iraqi children... and does a COMPLETE 180 and labels Barack "Hussein" Obama as a MUSLIM!?!?

This is an interesting question... to say the least

It's time for CHANGE

-
  • Dustin ... Dustin ... 2008/03/27 08:26:35
  • shadow Dustin ... 2008/03/27 22:32:57
    shadow
    +2
    Dustin,

Your choice of answers clearly told me who you are and how you think. However, I am obliged… no, compelled to respond to you.

First, the video is about the Pledge of Allegiance… The text is the Declaration of Independence – two totally different things. They do not “contradict” each other. They actually enhance and empower each other.

The definition of “Liberty” has always meant: freedom, release, emancipation, liberation, autonomy, self-determination, non-restriction, independence, privilege, license, sovereignty, latitude, unrestraint or “A power to do as we would be done by.” John Quincy Adams

Dustin, I feel certain you understand that because some “consider themselves more knowing” than the leaders (while others just have a problem with government in general), it may appear as if the “majority’s will” must be correct, and thus, implemented.

Following your theory, a lynch mob is a majority with no good intentions. The person in charge must be able to see past the demands of the “majority” when the result would be an injury to all.

War: Once before we failed to correct this problem and it came back to injure Americans on 911. It is in the best interest of ALL Americans and their safety for this issue to be resolved for once and for all. A job half-done is...

""

Dustin,

War: Once before we failed to correct this problem and it came back to injure Americans on 911. It is in the best interest of ALL Americans and their safety for this issue to be resolved for once and for all. A job half-done is nothing done at all.

”Then the video shows soldiers kissing Iraqi children... and does a COMPLETE 180 and labels Barack "Hussein" Obama as a MUSLIM!?!? “

No it does not. It says nothing about Obama being a Muslim. The only time Muslim is mentioned is when you do it. The video is 5.09 in length – take time to view all of it.
    It shows us (Americans) making a difference to this land and these people. It shows America’s compassion, thoughtfulness, hard work… and pain, while Americans continue to do what they have always done – assist an underdog, downtrodden, hopeless people.

Obama does not pledge allegiance to America or its people. He refuses to follow protocol for all Americans during the National Anthem or Pledge of Allegiance – He won’t even wear a simple American Flag pin on his lapel…. Yet he holds dual citizenship with America and Kenya…so where are his loyalties, patriotism, allegiances….?

As with 911, Americans will always rise from the ashes, and we have… and we will continue to rise until we are made whole again as we bring peace to yet another country, and heal ourselves during the process. I think it is a safe presumption on my part to say you lost no one on 9/11 or your views, opinions, morals, and ideas would be remarkably different.

This is America. Love it or leave it. It is just that simple. Don’t expect loyalists, flag waivers, nationalists and patriots to stand or sit by and let you talk our country down because you disagree with something it is doing for its people that you can not possibly understand.

Yes, “This is an interesting question... to say the least”, and I am a seed from Freedom’s tree.

It may be time for a change – but it is not time for Obama.
  • Dustin ... shadow 2008/03/27 22:35:21
    Dustin ~NBA
    Shadow: "First, the video is about the Pledge of Allegiance"

NO the video was about the "Star Spangled Banner"

After saying that, I cannot give you any credibility... so I'm not even going to read the rest of your comment, sorry
  • shadow Dustin ... 2008/03/27 23:12:00
    shadow
    +1
    Dustin,

The "song" is about the Pledge of Allegiance, and so is the video. It is because Obama will not put his hand over his heart while the National Anthem is being sung.

I do not look to you for credibility - so don't be sorry....

2014/11/23 09:52:13