I am Proud to be a White Male. Is it ok to be proud you are White?

CAPISCE 2012/11/08 13:13:14
Related Topics: Racist
YES
No, being proud of your white heritage is racist

• BOOGIE-WOOGIE-MUSIC-MAN-ROC... 2012/11/08 13:32:01
    YES
    BOOGIE-WOOGIE-MUSIC-MAN-ROCK-N-R
    +11
    I would like to share this with you. That I am totally blind I cannot tell daylight from dark. I am proud to be a blind person because I don't have to look at all of the ugliness in the world anymore. When people get ignorant about what color I am, I don't have to see it. So hold your head high and be proud

• Bouts2getitpoppinz 2013/02/06 17:39:11 (edited)
    Bouts2getitpoppinz
    Its not racist but why should I be proud I have a nose? should I be proud of my skin shade? I enjoy my nose and I enjoy my skin shade and I like the way it looks but im not over the top proud of it. To me pride is something given to accomplishment. I am proud to have broken my hi school track record because i earned that all on my own. hmm well I guess sure you could be proud of anything I guess it just seems like something you just are as opposed to something to be proud of. The things you do are worth pride to me not what you are because um millions of people are white just like millions are of another race. I just looked up definition of pride and it noted achievement yeah i didnt achieve being black or gay I just am lol.
  • Sour Dime 2012/12/04 20:53:24
    YES
    Sour Dime
    +1
    Everyone should be proud to be who they are doesn't matter what they look like.
  • CAPISCE Sour Dime 2012/12/04 20:59:50
    CAPISCE
    Unfortunately that is not reality----society has a perception of what ugly is. Tough to be proud if society is telling someone they are ugly all the time
  • Sour Dime CAPISCE 2012/12/04 21:01:03
    Sour Dime
    It's my reality.
  • Waiting in the Wings 2012/12/04 12:21:11
    YES
    Waiting in the Wings
    +1
    There is nothing wrong with being proud of who you are or your heritage. Why would it be?
  • Th8nos 2012/12/04 11:57:30
    YES
    Th8nos
    +1
    be proud of who you are, just so as long you're not degrading anyone else in the process....
  • 001 2012/11/18 20:35:17
    YES
    001
    +2
    None of the above. There's no sense in being proud of your gender or skin colour. You didn't do anything to achieve either.
  • claymation 2012/11/16 10:32:56
  • Katherine 2012/11/12 05:48:18
    YES
    Katherine
    I had to pick one to comment.

I've seen people who professed being proud of being female, being proud of being Mexican (two ex boyfriends mentioned it almost daily), of being black.

I think the reason this is touchy is because of white supremacists. They weren't just PROUD, they didn't just find themselves the best, or that they found others inferior. They sought to murder, brutalize, etc., because those people didn't fit into their idea of perfect. Nothing could be said or done, those supremacists wanted to hurt others?

Every demographic, I think, has had a history in doing at least one thing good and at least one thing bad. White is a pretty large margin, covers a whole lot of ethnicities. They come with a history, a culture, and other things. So do the others. Almost all the music we listened to in the 20ith century came from the black community, for example.

Anyway, I've lost my train of thought and don't know how to end this. I suppose the trick is to mind your own business as much as possible, and to avoid extremes as much as possible. I love to invite people into my own unique little world sometimes, when someone is willing; and enjoy learning about others, when they want to let me in. But when you're bludgeoned by someone's pride, and so forth, that's when there's trouble.
  • Katherine Katherine 2012/11/12 05:57:19
    Katherine
    Just had a thought.. White just seems too broad. How many ethnicities fit into that anyway? Kind of 'steals the thunder,' for lack of a better expression, of all the groups that fit under it, doesn't it? But I guess since there's only maybe six categories now...
  • CAPISCE Katherine 2012/11/12 14:04:07
    CAPISCE
    That is something I have been saying for years
  • Christine/Rest in peace Pet... 2012/11/10 21:30:06
    Christine/Rest in peace Peter Br
    +3
    In today's political world if you are white, you are racist. All of the children I have adopted are minorites, and I wonder if someday they will look down upon me because society tells them I can't love them because I am a white conservative. I can't love them because I have old fashioned values. I can't love them because I support my country being free instead of indentured to our government.

The media, the schools, and the minority groups keep teaching them that they are poor and picked on by whites. However, when I look at the playground full of children from many different backgrounds and races, I do not see the racism. They play together, their parents interact with each other in friendly manners, so perhaps someday they will truely see all of us as equals.
  • CAPISCE Christi... 2012/11/11 15:10:12
    CAPISCE
    +1
    Great post
  • Devil's Advocate 2012/11/09 21:25:16
    YES
    Devil's Advocate
    +2
    Can I just say that I am equating 'white' with my cultural heritage. It is not that I am proud that I do not have dark skin. That would be racist.
  • Shadow13 2012/11/09 19:40:18
    Shadow13
    +3
    You can be proud of your cultural heritage and the history of your ancestors. However, being proud of the melanin in your skin is pointless and stupid. See, when those of African decent say they are proud of who they are, they are speaking of the events that their ancestors endured and the progress they made in a society that at one time viewed them as below human dignity. Because of those destructive institutions (slavery) much of their identity was destroyed leaving African as the only identifying memory. Caucasians can't make that point, as we have always been in a position of dominance. The celebration of oppression, dominance and exploitation is what is wrong with humanity.
    YES
    +2
    Nothing wrong with it.
  • Brendan Mcdonald 2012/11/09 18:48:27
    YES
    Brendan Mcdonald
    +4
    Everyone shoul be proud of who they are no matter their race sex religion country of orgin or sexual orentation and we should all accept one another as our fellow human being.
  • Bibliophilic 2012/11/09 17:04:17 (edited)
    Bibliophilic
    +5
    Yes, be proud to be the most privileged group in America.

Racial pride is BS, but there's nothing wrong with celebrating your ethnicity.

White pride= white supremacism 99% of the time.

Italian-American, Spanish-American, Mexican-American... there- celebrate your culture and it's history, NOT the fact that you are proud of being a Caucasian!

Also, do you understand the irony of "being proud" of being proud to belong to a privileged majority?

Should I be proud of my hard work or my facial features, hair and skin color?
  • Sissy Bibliop... 2012/11/10 17:29:05
    Sissy
    +1
    You should be just as proud of your thoughtfulness, your wisdom and your ability to express it all so well.

Well said my friend, well said.
  • Orsino 2012/11/09 16:21:09
    YES
    Orsino
    +5
    Being proud of something that is entirely accidental is pushing it a bit - I'd be proud to be a doctor, or charity worker, or of some achievement - but skin colour? Nah.
  • andrew.micheals.353 2012/11/09 16:15:54 (edited)
    YES
    andrew.micheals.353
    +4
    Of course it is but we need to show respect to other people being proud does not mean you look down on other people.
  • Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of ... 2012/11/09 16:04:11
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +5
    Being proud of pigmentation is beyond asinine, no matter who it is coming from.
    Obama thonks so and will prove it in January or shortly there afterward. Prediction: Revolution 2 or possible STATE ASSASSINATIONS B4 June & I do not mean Obama. It will be Democrat support Teams and a few Congress "Well Known Heros"
  • BrightShadow 2012/11/09 15:52:14
    YES
    BrightShadow
    +2
    That's part of our problem, as a white male you have been told not to be proud of your race or heritage... BS, stand up and be proud, we are not diminished by our past, we are better because of our past, lessons learned, and those that would use it against us are the real "RACISTS".
  • The Truth Teller 2012/11/09 15:52:00
  • Latti I... The Tru... 2012/11/09 16:03:27
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +4
    All ethnic groups built this country, don't be ignorant.
  • The Tru... Latti I... 2012/11/09 18:02:46
  • Latti I... The Tru... 2012/11/09 18:12:37
  • MsTlynne The Tru... 2012/11/09 17:22:34
    MsTlynne
    +2
    You need a new name. The one you have is quite opposite of what you are.
    black slave black slave black slave black slave black slave
  • The Tru... MsTlynne 2012/11/09 18:03:14
  • MsTlynne The Tru... 2012/11/09 20:23:29
  • CAPISCE MsTlynne 2012/11/10 13:58:24
    CAPISCE
    +2
    I wonder how many of the slaves you posted were sold outright by Tribal Leaders, Kngs and African elite to white men due to greed? Just sayin
  • MsTlynne CAPISCE 2012/11/10 14:50:10
    MsTlynne
    +2
    Many, I'm sure. But, we were talking about who built this country. Just because you bought your drugs from a dearler doesn't mean your not an addict.
  • Latti I... CAPISCE 2012/11/10 17:39:36
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    One; the Ashante tribe, other tribes and African Kingdoms weren't involved.
  • CAPISCE Latti I... 2012/11/11 15:41:35
    CAPISCE
    But many were
  • Latti I... CAPISCE 2012/11/11 18:55:16
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    Many were; meaning the Ashante Tribe, other African kingdoms weren't involved. Lastly, every ethnic group had suffered under slavery.
  • sick'n'... CAPISCE 2012/11/11 01:59:54
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +2
    The origins of slavery came from the Arab world and continued through EVERY CIVILIZATION to our current civilization. Slavery is still happening today primarily in Arabic nations. But that is not important. Only American slavery is important in today's society.
  • Christi... MsTlynne 2012/11/10 21:42:23
    Christine/Rest in peace Peter Br
    +2
    Slavery is wrong but every ethnic group has suffered from it
    Let us include:
    Chinese indentured servants sold to the railroads

chinese railroad workers

American Indians inslaved by Mexico and later United States american indian slaves

Irish coal miners enslaved to the mine and the company store molley mcquires

And the whites that went on the aution block for unpaid debts
    white slave labor
  • MsTlynne Christi... 2012/11/11 15:40:22
    MsTlynne
    +2
    You are correct, but neither of those groups were the majority of slaves in America. Black slavery was sanctioned by law.
  • Elizabeth Raggett 2012/11/09 13:52:38
    YES
    Elizabeth Raggett
    +4
    I am very proud to be white and I really don't care how anyone takes it.

2014/10/31 05:05:32