“I am ashamed that the first black president chose this road, a disgraceful road.”

Always Right 2012/08/01 14:53:55

Washington (CNN) – A group of conservative black pastors are responding to President Barack Obama’s support of same-sex marriage with what they say will be a national campaign aimed at rallying black Americans to rethink their overwhelming support of the President, though the group’s leader is offering few specifics about the effort.

The Rev. Williams Owens, who is president and founder of the Coalition of African-Americans Pastors and the leader of the campaign, has highlighted opposition to same-sex marriage among African-Americans. He calls this campaign “an effort to save the family.”

“The time has come for a broad-based assault against the powers that be that want to change our culture to one of men marrying men and women marrying women,” said Owens, in an interview Tuesday after the launch event at the National Press Club. “I am ashamed that the first black president chose this road, a disgraceful road.”

At the press conference, Owens was joined by five other black regional pastors and said there were 3,742 African-American pastors on board for the anti-Obama campaign.

When asked at the press conference for specifics about the campaign – funding, planned events and goals – Owens said only that the group’s first fundraiser will be on August 16 in Memphis, Tennessee. But Owens insisted that “we are going to go nationwide with our agenda just like the president has gone to Hollywood.”

In May, Obama announced on ABC News that he thought “same sex couples should be able to get married." The president had previously said that he opposed gay marriage, but said in May that his views were personal and did not represent a policy change.

In a fiery Tuesday press conference at the press club, Owens said Obama was taking the black vote for granted and decried the idea of similarities between the gay rights movement and the civil rights movement, an assertion made by the NAACPfollowing Obama’s same-sex marriage support.

Owens has long been an opponent of gay marriage and consults with the National Organization for Marriage as a liaison to the black churches.

At the press conference, Owens said that Obama’s support of same-sex marriage tantamount to supporting child molestation.

“If you watch the men who have been caught having sex with little boys, you will note that all of them will say that they were molested as a child…” Owens said. “For the president to condone this type of thing is irresponsible.”

Owens later walked about those comments back, saying he didn’t think the president was condoning molestation.

Earlier this year, memos obtained by The Human Rights Campaign in a Maine civil actions suit revealed that NOM aims at making gay marriage a wedge issued “between gays and blacks,” according to the released confidential plans.

“The strategic goal of this project is to drive a wedge between gays and blacks - two key Democratic constituencies," one NOM memo states. In light of the release, Brian Brown, president of NOM, said that he is proud of the group’s “strong record” on minority partnerships.

A Pew Research Center poll conducted in April found that 49% of African-Americans oppose legalized same-sex marriage, compared with 39% who support it. But that shows a softening on the position in recent years; In 2008, only 26% of blacks were in favor of same sex marriage, according to the same Pew poll.

At the same time, black voters overwhelmingly supported Obama in 2008, while more recent polling shows a nearly equal level of support for the president’s 2012 reelection.

In a Public Religion Research Institute poll released last week, 18% of black Americans surveyed said they see same-sex marriage a “critical issue,” putting it behind the economy, education, deficit, a growing wealth gap and immigration.

According to Robert P. Jones, the CEO of the polling company, there is no evidence that same-sex marriage is something African-Americans will bring to the ballot box in November.

“Among African-Americans, I think same-sex marriage will be a nonissue in the election,” Jones told CNN. “We just have no evidence what so ever in slippage of support for Obama, even after his announcement in support of same sex marriage.”

The reaction of black pastors to the president’s support for gay marriage has been as varied as their congregations, ranging from condemnation to congratulations.

"We may disagree with our president on this one issue," Rev. Wallace Charles Smith said from the pulpit of the Shiloh Baptist Church in Washington on the Sunday after Obama announced his support for legalized gay unions. "But we will keep him lifted up in prayer. ... pray for President Barack Obama."

At the Tuesday press conference, Owens questioned Obama’s commitment to black Americans, stating that the president is just “half-black, half-white” and has long “ignored the black press.”

He is “ignoring the people that put him in the White House,” Owens said.

- Dan Merica

Read More: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/31/black-pas...

• Red 2012/08/06 06:32:21
  • Always ... Red 2012/08/06 14:00:14
    Always Right
    AMEN!
  • doofiegirl BTO-t- BCRA-F ~... 2012/08/04 10:05:46
    doofiegirl  BTO-t- BCRA-F ~PWCM~
    +2
    Odimwit has betrayed Every American who stands for freedom and right! It's time to forget race, and think of our country! She is the real loser of this madman's 'reign' . Obama s  reign  Obama s  reign
  • Always ... doofieg... 2012/08/04 16:47:53
    Always Right
    His policies has definitely set America back. I can not think of one thing he has improved since he took office, except maybe his golf score. Up to 104 rounds of golf, that's an average of almost three rounds per month.
  • American 2012/08/03 16:42:14
    American
    I wonder how much the RNC or one of the other right wing hate Obama groups paid these sorry @$$ losers for this propaganda piece? Obama is not ignoring me. As part of the middle class, I am one of the people who helped to put him in the WHITE HOUSE. I intend to help keep him there until mid January 2017.
  • Always ... American 2012/08/03 17:43:46
    Always Right
    +1
    You are talking about Pastors of Churches. Why in the world would you call them sorry @$$ losers, just because their views don't match yours?
  • American Always ... 2012/08/03 18:22:26 (edited)
    American
    I know who I am talking about however you sure don't know what you're talking about.. I don't call them sorry @$$ losers because their view don't match mine. It is presumptuous of you to speak of what you do not know for a fact. Is that how you get your exercise, by jumping to conclusions?

Other than the fact that they are sorry @$$ losers, in my opinion, even if they are pastors of churches or False Prophets(The latter is my choice) they are no more than tools for the Republican Party's hateful agenda. President Obama has just as much right to his opinion as any other citizen. His statement about gay marriage is his personal opinion, it is not a policy change made by Executive Order.

Personally, I don't give a darn what their views are. They are just as entitled to their views as I am to mine. However, I hope whenever they go around trying to get Blacks to vote against their own best interest and trying to force their ideology off on them they receive boos louder than Mitt Romney did at the NAACP convention and are rode out on a rail. That's my view, so now you will know the next time instead of presuming what it is.
  • Always ... American 2012/08/03 18:27:21
    Always Right
    +1
    Blacks to vote against their own best interest, which is what a better life on equal footing. The democrats have had the blacks voting for them for fifty years and I see no improvement in the black communities in cities(democrat controlled) or in the black family as a unit.
  • American Always ... 2012/08/04 14:38:49
    American
    However bad you might think it is for Blacks when they vote for Democrats, it would be a hell of lot worst if they voted for Republicans. In modern history, Blacks have have fared much better when Democrats are in charge than they have under Republican administration. I think they know that fact a hell of a lot better than you think you do.

Contrary to what RWNJS seem to think, just because you have a few ignorant token Blacks in the Republican party by no means are the majority of Black people as stupid as those Black right wing idiot, IE., Herman Cain, Adam West, etc.,. In fact Black people are a whole lot smarter than the average RWNJ. The majority know better than to vote against their own best interest by voting Republican..
  • Always ... American 2012/08/04 17:02:44
    Always Right
    What do the TOP 10 cities with the HIGHEST POVERTY RATE have in common - DEMOCRAT leadership.

Detroit The Poorest City in America last Republican mayor 1961 (47 years)
    Buffalo 2nd 1954 (54 yrs)
    Cincinnati 3rd since 1984 (24 yrs)
    Cleveland 4th since 1989 (19 yrs)
    Miami 5th NEVER had Republican Mayor
    St. Louis 6th since 1949 (59 yrs)
    El Paso 7th NEVER had Republican Mayor
    Milwaukee 8th since 1908; (100 yrs)
    Philadelphia 9th since 1952 (56 yrs)
    Newark 10th since 1907(101 yrs)
    http://answers.yahoo.com/ques...
  • American Always ... 2012/08/04 17:52:52
    American
    If they had been under Republican leadership they would have been even worse off. I stand by every word I said. Any Black person who votes Republican is a Damn fool no matter what you say. :-)
  • Always ... American 2012/08/05 04:50:30
    Always Right
    So I won't call you an idiot, then!
  • American Always ... 2012/08/06 22:55:45
    American
    Okay by me. I don't want to take your title away from you. :-)
  • BUCCANE... American 2012/08/04 10:50:02
  • Always ... BUCCANE... 2012/08/04 17:04:33
    Always Right
    +1
    Good to hear from you, Buc!
  • BUCCANE... Always ... 2012/08/04 17:41:40
    BUCCANEER~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    You too Matey!
  • Always ... BUCCANE... 2012/08/05 04:57:18
    Always Right
    +1
    I love the British and the Australians way with the "King's English" and you're the best! I got to talk to two Sargent Majors, one from England and one from Australia, it was just friggin great, me and them talking, should of had it recorded!
  • BUCCANE... Always ... 2012/08/05 07:31:20
    BUCCANEER~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Thanks Always!!
  • doofieg... American 2012/08/04 16:57:19
  • BUCCANE... doofieg... 2012/08/04 17:53:02
    BUCCANEER~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +2
      captain obama  funny   captain obama  funny

Two of a kind
  • doofieg... BUCCANE... 2012/08/04 18:09:28
    doofiegirl  BTO-t- BCRA-F ~PWCM~
    +2
    bucc love, Where did you find that graphic ? I Love it! Obama s ship goes down Obama s ship goes down Obama s ship goes down
  • American doofieg... 2012/08/04 17:59:13 (edited)
    American
    That is merely your insignificant and wrong opinion. A majority of Americans believe otherwise. Contrary to what you seem to think a majority of the Americans are not RWNJs and are turned completely off by them. We will show you just how much we are turned off by the likes of the obstructionist Republicans and the Tea Party when we kick your @$$es to the curb come November. BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA 2012. :-)
  • BUCCANE... American 2012/08/04 18:34:17 (edited)
    BUCCANEER~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    obama in    cloud cuckoo

And you Sir are in it
    +2
    Good for them for standing up for their principles.
  • Always ... Ken 2012/08/03 14:27:10
    Always Right
    +2
    Need more people with a public forum to stand up for traditional American values.
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2012/08/01 21:47:02
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +5
    And my heart goes out to them because it's an embarrassment and sets back race relations like nothing else.

I don't care WHAT color the president is as long as he puts America on the right track. Obama hasn't!
    +2
    He may nopt be American

We still do not know
  • MR. 2012/08/01 21:32:36 (edited)
    MR.
    +2
    MAY THE GOOD LORD FORGIVE US. *(ROMNEY 2012')
  • Vision of Verve 2012/08/01 21:23:06
  • Charge 2012/08/01 21:10:18
    Charge
    +4
    I'm not ashamed, I didn't vote for him; what I'm ashamed about is that Americans fell for Obama's BS and voted for this loser in the first place.
    Mitt Romney wins
  • Semper Fi Charge 2012/08/01 21:50:06
    Semper Fi
    +3
    And it appears many did not learn from their gross mistake.
  • American Charge 2012/08/03 18:52:48
    American
    I'm not ashamed either (in fact I am rather proud of it) and I voted for Obama. I will vote for him again in the upcoming presidential election. He is the best choice for this country and there ain't no doubt in my mind about it.

What would be a real shame is if Blacks (which I doubt) would listen to these Black tools for the Republican party who call themselves pastors and let them entice them to vote against their own best interest. In no way is Romney for minorities, the middle class, the working poor and the poor. He is only for the rich, the richer and the richest among us.

All of this from the "Pastors" just because President Obama has a personal opinion to which he's entitled just like any other American citizen..

As for "loser", that would be the flip flopping, duck walking pathological liar Romney and the groupie followers who are dumb and ignorant enough to believe a word he says
  • Charge American 2012/08/04 03:04:18
    Charge
    +1
    The tool is You and You are being used by your superiors, the Progressive elite.
  • American Charge 2012/08/04 03:58:25 (edited)
    American
    Anyone ignorant and stupid enough to be a brainwashed, brain dead RWNJ is in no position to say anything of significance, relevance or merit. I will just ignore anything you have to say on the grounds you are obviously mentally incompetent.
  • Always ... American 2012/08/04 04:02:10
    Always Right
    +1
    You call yourself "American", I don't think so!
  • American Always ... 2012/08/04 18:08:28
    American
    Why not? Because I am not a treasonous, traitorous anti-American RWNJ who sells out my country's well being for political gain it means that I am a much better American than any anti-American RWNJ will ever be. Shame on you! :-(
  • Always ... American 2012/08/05 05:01:29
    Always Right
    Anyone backing 0bama is suspect! Either treason or living in the dark!
  • Charge American 2012/08/04 14:36:05
    Charge
    +1
    You are an obamabot sloth, Your rhetoric is as predictable as breathing....
    Sad to see people call themselves "American" when they have no idea what that means; You people are pathetic bloodsuckers.
  • American Charge 2012/08/04 18:14:09
    American
    I am more American than any anti-American Obama hating treasonous, traitorous RWNJ obstructionist who sells out their country for political gain. That would be those of your ilk. Need I say more. For shame and may God have mercy on their evil, unscrupulous souls. :-(
  • Charge American 2012/08/04 20:07:31
    Charge
    +1
    LMAO.... You are describing Obama and the Progressive Liberals, all You know how to do is LIE and use taxpayer money for payoffs....
    At least You alternative reality Lefties are good for a laugh....

2014/07/30 09:10:27