I am appalled by the lack of respect Christians today show for our leaders and other people in authority. This may be ok for nonbelievers, they do not know and cannot be held accountable, but for Christians?

Jo 2012/02/05 00:28:02
Do they not read the Bible or is it that they choose not to follow what it says? It is made clear throughout that all authority comes from God. Rebelling against the authority in our lives and showing disrespect whether it be a boss, a parent, a policeman, a Pastor, our President is a sin in God's eyes. We are to honor them. And this is serious, one cannot expect God's power and blessing and favor in their own lives when they constantly ignore God's Word and refuse to show honor to others.

Romans 13:1-2: "Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves."

For clarification, just because all authority comes from God does not mean all leaders are Godly. God rises up even the evil for His purposes. This also does not mean that we are to break God's laws when authortiy asks us to do something immoral (read the story of Shadrach, Meshach, & Abednego - they declined but did so with respect)

• Katherine 2012/03/11 23:22:23
    Katherine
    I'm appalled this administration keeps attacking Christians, Jewish people and our allies.
  • Jo Katherine 2012/03/12 20:19:08
    Jo
    Yes, but they will be held accountable for their own actions. We should not lower our standards because of the way other people behave! I just am surprised that more Christians are not aware of the emphasis that the Bible puts upon honoring all manner of leaders.
  • Katherine Jo 2012/03/13 10:26:41
    Katherine
    I respect the office of presidency, I do not respect someone who belittles me and calls me an enemy. I don't call Obama by any name but Obama. It is my God-given right and my Constitutional responsibility to call out a bad administration and a bad presidency. I certainly will not be falsely told that the Bible instructs one to submit to tyranny.
    Many of the Media named Christians are not Christians and others are led astray.
  • Radlad 2012/02/05 02:50:57
    Radlad
    In truth we don't know what's in the bible. When Constantine converted to Christianity being emperor he removed all that which could be used against his reign. Like a salad bar. Took what he liked and left the rest..........

Here's the flaw in your concept theory socialist godless thinking or whatever you wish to call it. ---------. This is America. It is a government "of the people, by the people, for the people". "WE THE PEOPLE" we ARE the authority.------ This posting didn't even make "nice try" status.........
  • Zervur 2012/02/05 02:03:15
    Zervur
    I think your post is misguided and based on anecdotal data.
  • kaZappoo 2012/02/05 01:14:18 (edited)
    kaZappoo
    +1
    and a part of your comment is the authorities are appointed by GOD ....obama was elected by some of the people ...??
    and other authorities are appointed by god as well ??
    I wonder about your interpretation of scriptures .....!
  • kaZappoo 2012/02/05 01:11:52 (edited)
    kaZappoo
    +1
    respect goes both ways ,,and is not an inherant thing ....when the govt shows it's contemp towards the people then , the law get respect until it proves unworthy of it ..

and does come from an athiest ?

and do christians cary identifications cards to prove their beliefs ?
  • VoteOut 2012/02/05 01:11:13
    VoteOut
    +1
    Respect is not given its earned
  • VoteOut 2012/02/05 01:10:47
    VoteOut
    Man does not rule man god does it is the leaders and people in authority that are the public servants there to serve man not "rule" over him believe thsts inthebible also
  • American Mercenary 2012/02/05 00:56:31
    American Mercenary
    It's not like someone can actually show proof that they are a Christian.
  • Doug King 2012/02/05 00:33:15
    Doug King
    Christians have opinions and every time they voice them someone tries to jump down their throat. Maybe that's why they are a bit edgy. Besides "our leaders" have not been exactly supportive of religion now have they?
  • Jo Doug King 2012/02/05 00:40:52
    Jo
    The key here is that you will not be held accountable for how our leaders act, but you will be accountable for your own actions.
  • Simmering Frog - PHART 2012/02/05 00:32:29
    Simmering Frog - PHART
    Can you be more specific? Can you give an example?
  • Jo Simmeri... 2012/02/05 00:41:52
    Jo
    +1
    Christians bashing Obama on SH and all around me, young people defying their parents, it's pretty obvious to me.
  • Simmeri... Jo 2012/02/05 01:01:57
    Simmering Frog - PHART
    +2
    Only Christians bash Obama? Tell me more.
  • Compass... Jo 2012/02/05 01:28:28
    Compassionate Christian
    +1
    How do you define "Bashing?"
  • Radlad Compass... 2012/02/05 11:43:35
    Radlad
    any legitimate criticising of obama his policies, his friends, his blatant disregard for the constitution ya' know that sorta thing..........
  • Compass... Radlad 2012/02/06 19:57:07
    Compassionate Christian
    I'm not sure that's what Jo meant. But yes I have seen that sort of thing on SH a number of times.

2014/11/01 12:40:43