Hugo Chavez weeps and calls on God to spare his life. Should God answer Hugo Chavez's prayers?

Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/04/07 14:06:46

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez wept and asked God to spare his life during a pre-Easter Mass on Thursday after returning from his latest session of cancer treatment in Cuba.

life pre-easter mass thursday returning latest session cancer treatment cuba
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez during a mass for his health in Barinas

Very little is known about the 57-year-old socialist leader's condition, including even what type of cancer he has. Chavez has undergone three operations in less than a year, and received two sessions of radiation treatment.

He says the latest surgery was successful, that he is recovering well and will be fit to win a new six-year term at an election in October. Yet big questions remain about his future, and on Thursday the strain appeared to show.

In a televised speech to the Catholic service in his home state of Barinas, Chavez cried and his voice broke as he eulogised Jesus, revolutionary fighter Ernesto "Che" Guevara and South American independence hero Simon Bolivar.

"Never forget that we are the children of giants ... I could not avoid some tears," the former soldier said, his parents and other relatives looking on from the church rows.

"Give me your crown, Jesus. Give me your cross, your thorns so that I may bleed. But give me life, because I have more to do for this country and these people. Do not take me yet," Chavez added, standing below an image of Jesus with the Crucifix.

Having dominated the continent's biggest oil exporter for the last 13 years, Chavez's sickness has thrown its politics into turmoil in the run-up to the election on Oct 7.

Flying back and forth to Havana for the radiation therapy, Chavez has been forced to run a kind of "virtual" campaign via Twitter and appearances on state television, while his opposition rival Henrique Capriles tours the country.

In his speech at the Mass, Chavez soon seemed to recover his composure, joking with his brother Adan in the congregation that few people were watching because it was the Easter holiday, when Venezuelans typically hit the country's beautiful beaches.

Chavez said he had a lot of faith that his cancer would not return after his first two operations last year – which removed a baseball sized tumour from his pelvis – but it did.

"Today, I have more faith than yesterday," he said.

"Life has been a hurricane ... but a couple of years ago my life began to become not my own anymore," the president said. "Who said the path of revolution would be easy?"

He returned to Barinas late on Wednesday from Havana, where he had undergone a second session of radiation therapy. He said it went well and that all the test results had been positive.

But in the absence of detailed information on his condition, Venezuelans have hunted for clues in his appearance each time he is on state TV. One local news website ran a large photo of his heavily perspiring brow after he disembarked from the jet.

One Venezuelan opposition journalist who has broken news on Chavez's condition in the past reported that his medical team continued to disagree among themselves over the best course, and a Brazilian blogger said he might travel there for treatment.

Chavez's election rival, Capriles, has mostly kept quiet about the president's illness, preferring to wish him a speedy recovery so that he can beat him in a fair fight at the polls.

But the youthful state government has criticised Chavez for choosing to be treated abroad, saying it sends a bad message to ordinary Venezuelans if he does not trust local doctors.

Capriles, 39, took issue this week with repeated comments by Chavez and his allies that Jesus must have been a fellow leftist radical.

"This theme is an obsession of the eternal candidate," Capriles said on Twitter, referring to Chavez. "This Holy Week, we should remember Christ was neither socialist nor capitalist."

In the latest opinion poll released last month, the president had a solid 13-percentage point lead over his opponent, but many voters remained undecided.

From : The London Telegraph

Read More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southame...

• Chi~Cat 2012/07/30 15:40:43
    Yes,God should listen to Hugo Chavez's prayers because...
    Chi~Cat
    +2
    Too little, too late.
  • harley oldman 2012/04/12 17:16:14
    harley oldman
    +1
    Yes, We have a Loving and forgiving GOD. And We ALL can be thankful for that.
  • harley ... harley ... 2012/04/12 17:19:21
    harley oldman
    +1
    We are not qualified to Judge. Chavez will have to answer for his deeds.
  • Walt 2012/04/12 05:54:05
    Other Thoughts!
    Walt
    +2
    My imagined response would be something like, "Is that you, Hugo? Gee, I didn't recognize you with your head bald. Go grow some hair and say another prayer when you look less like something out of a low budget horror flick."
  • seadog6608PWCM 2012/04/11 04:19:22
  • harley ... seadog6... 2012/04/12 17:14:14
    harley oldman
    +2
    This is just a thought on your last sentence.....Sounds like your thinking about an old High School crush.... :)
  • seadog6... harley ... 2012/04/12 21:23:24
  • harley ... seadog6... 2012/04/13 16:00:22
    harley oldman
    +2
    Sorry.... :)
  • ThinkAboutIt! 2012/04/09 14:19:52
    Other Thoughts!
    ThinkAboutIt!
    +3
    He is the IDOL of a progressive democrat.
  • NoBama Man 2012/04/09 05:48:03
    Other Thoughts!
    NoBama Man
    +3
    James 4:6
    Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”

Romans 2:8
    But for those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, there will be wrath and fury.

chavez imanutjob

hmmm...I smell sulpher
  • Peewee ~PWCM~JLA 2012/04/09 03:57:29
    Other Thoughts!
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    This is priceless!
  • *K'eim*h3reg' *Peh2u *Meg' 2012/04/09 03:51:57
    Other Thoughts!
    *K'eim*h3reg' *Peh2u *Meg'
    +2
    God is God. He can do what he likes. As for Chavez, I personally wouldn't cry for very long if this SOB kicked the bucket. But there is always hope for him to change his ways.
  • Gregaj7 2012/04/09 00:33:18
    Other Thoughts!
    +2
    As if I've got a say in the matter. I'm in agreement with his prayers for healing.
  • marcuss LIBERALS ARE IDIOTS 2012/04/08 22:48:37
    Other Thoughts!
    marcuss LIBERALS ARE IDIOTS
    +2
    Lets see what his new found fate has in store for the people of Venezuela. I wonder If he is going to change his ways now that he is facing his own death sentence he has given to others.

If he begs and pleads for forgiveness from the Venezuelan people.
  • TheNightFly 2012/04/08 18:04:17 (edited)
    Other Thoughts!
    TheNightFly
    +1
    GALATIANS 6: 7-8 (KJV)

7: Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

8: For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
    Other Thoughts!
    +3
    Since we are quickly approaching the end, I believe God has given his permissive will(such as the beginning of "Job" ) so Satan can test those who are true to God and the rest be swept up by Satan when they have served their purpose. L:ooks like this Communist has not reached that point
  • Freebird 2012/04/08 17:45:40
    Other Thoughts!
    Freebird
    +3
    The condition of Hugo's soul is between him and the Lord.
  • ALPEAUX 2012/04/08 17:02:55
    ALPEAUX
    +3
    God WILL listen to Hugos prayers. I USED to be an athiest in my earlier years. Non-believers make GREAT believers too...ALpeaux
  • CAPISCE ALPEAUX 2012/04/09 23:12:08
    CAPISCE
    +2
    So was the Apostle Thomas
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/04/08 16:52:18
    Other Thoughts!
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +3
    That's not up to me.

These despotic tyrants that are in positions of leadership don't believe in a God per se.

I suggest Chavez pray to his God Lucifer. He might get a different response.
  • CODE 11 2012/04/08 16:10:21
    Other Thoughts!
    CODE 11
    +4
    God is busy..answering the prays of the Venezuelan people
  • ALofRI 2012/04/08 16:10:00
    Other Thoughts!
    ALofRI
    +2
    I've been to Venezuela several times. Hugo's problem is, his people are quite religious and I'm sure THEIR "prayers" have him outnumbered...he should have thought of that years ago!

I barely made it out of the airport in Caracas once, when it was shut down because of an attempt on his life AT the airport. The peoples prayers were almost answered then! A "Just GOD" would have come through at that time! Maybe he'll think it over a bit this time, and answer FOR the people.
  • Libertarian Right 2012/04/08 15:51:14
    Other Thoughts!
    Libertarian Right
    +2
    His ordeal may be divine justice.
  • Annette 2012/04/08 15:51:07
    Other Thoughts!
    Annette
    +2
    Here is what I believe!
    Blessings at Eastertide
  • KCurtis 2012/04/08 15:27:55 (edited)
    Other Thoughts!
    KCurtis
    +2
    I would never presume to know or predict what God will do. He works in mysterious ways. Suffice to say Chavez seems to have come to grips with what mortality can do. In the long run when this occurs even those people who claim to be atheists will beg for forgiveness. Let's not forget during this most sacred time of the year, that God will most certainly give it.

jesus died for you
  • DougE 2012/04/08 14:48:30 (edited)
    Other Thoughts!
    DougE
    +5
    Isn't it funny how bad people when faced with their own mortality suddenly beg for forgivness or a savior. Here's what he needs:

lightning striking a person
  • Liberta... DougE 2012/04/08 15:56:24
    Libertarian Right
    +3
    Nah, that's too quick and painless. He needs to suffer the slow, pitiful, and indignant death that only terminal cancer can bring.
  • seahawk665 2012/04/08 14:36:09
    Other Thoughts!
    seahawk665
    +3
    It's up to God, and God alone, what Chavez's fate will be.
  • Grizz 2012/04/08 14:08:41
    No,God should ignore Hugo Chavez's prayers because...
    Grizz
    +4
    Of Course God should answer EVERY Prayer.
    hugo should hear a loud clear voice saying "NO! " HUGO CHAVEZ AS A CLOWN
  • my2cents Grizz 2012/04/09 01:13:02
  • Grizz my2cents 2012/04/11 15:08:25
    Grizz
    off topic--mr.bush was not a part of this posting.show a photo of him kissing hugo,then i'll laugh too.
  • my2cents Grizz 2012/04/11 15:40:43
    my2cents
    I knew that, but I haven't photoshopped it.

One good man kiss deserves another.
  • Grizz my2cents 2012/04/11 15:47:00
    Grizz
    +1
    mr.bush,with the saudi king Saud,never kissed the king on the lips--muslims hate Gays--the king did however,upon greeting mr. bush,"faux" kiss him on each face cheek,a traditional arab greeting.your photo is a fake-----too.
  • Brightsprite62 2012/04/08 13:28:48
    Brightsprite62
    +3
    If Mr Chavez is Honestly Seeking God then Yes. God is there for anyone who is seeking him. It is Gods place to decide.
  • Al C. 2012/04/08 13:00:54
    Other Thoughts!
    Al C.
    +4
    Why should God save the Devil??????????????
  • DougE Al C. 2012/04/08 14:50:51
    DougE
    To give us an option between good and evil I presume.
  • Al C. DougE 2012/04/08 15:56:24
    Al C.
    +2
    Evil's never an option for good people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DougE Al C. 2012/04/09 13:50:17
    DougE
    +2
    I get it, I'm just saying... He gave us choice.
  • Grizzle 2012/04/08 12:32:23
    Grizzle
    +1
    He is Risen!
  • the fuze 2012/04/08 12:13:28
    Other Thoughts!
    the fuze
    +3
    I am too insignificant to meddle in the affairs of The Lord. I am not Mr. Chavez's final judge & jury, I'll leave that up to God, who I believe to be fair and just.

Guess we'll have to wait and see, huh?

2014/04/23 10:08:37