How risky do you think cosmetic surgery is?

ABC News U.S. 2013/06/19 19:09:45
Related Topics: Cosmetic Surgery, Surgery
Vishal Thakkar didn’t need a nose job. But the 35-year-old divorcé wanted to “be a little selfish for once,” he said, and “do something just for me.” Thakkar, who lived in Oklahoma City at the time, said he screened 10 different doctors before settling on a Tulsa-based surgeon for a “minor tweak” to his mildly asymmetric nostrils.

“It was supposed to be in and out– in on the weekend and back to life in two days,” Thakkar said.

But in the seven years since, Thakkar has undergone 23 additional operations to address major complications, he said. The surgeries have transformed his nose into a mound of misplaced skin and cartilage. His nostrils are gone, replaced by a collapsing tunnel held open by a straw.

Is this a freak case or an example of cosmetic surgery’s dangers? Chime in below, and watch the full story on “20/20: Botched!” Friday at 10 p.m. ET.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/06/20/cosm...

• CAPISCE 2013/06/22 00:13:48
    Riskier than people think. Even “minor” procedures are still surgery.
    CAPISCE
    +5
    Not only Risky but it is creating a mutant species of humans joan rivers  plastic surgery  joan rivers  plastic surgery  bad plastic surgery  bad plastic surgery  bad plastic surgery

• Tim Johnson 2014/08/11 15:06:52
  • John Howard 2014/07/21 15:03:41
  • No One 2013/06/24 15:44:43
    No One
    And it should not be performed on infants.
  • Turboski 2013/06/24 15:15:24
    Not very – it’s so common nowadays.
    Turboski
    I'm going to assume he was only screening 10 doctors to find the cheapest and not to see if they are actually good at their job. Also how vain do you have to be to care about asymmetrical nostrils...
  • pey 2013/06/23 22:27:17
    Not very – it’s so common nowadays.
    pey
    +3
    You should be happy with what u have but if u are not well go ahead with it we live in such a vein society now shame
  • TheDevian 2013/06/23 20:11:38
    TheDevian
    My mother almost died from a breast reduction surgery (for medical reasons), they collapsed her lung in the procedure. Then they left a hole in her, you could almost stick your pinky into. And this was at an actual hospital!
  • Rachel 2013/06/23 16:38:01
    Rachel
    Everyone has their decisions, but we should feel bless for the things we have, instead of trying to inject and insert chemicals and silicone, etc. into our bodies. I only believe in plastic surgery if it was specifically used to reconstruct someone face or body cause by injuries, or something like that.
  • Pam 2013/06/23 10:27:50
    Pam
    I'm just not that vain that I would take my life into my hands to look better.
  • Sal Monella ~PWCM~JL 2013/06/23 05:28:17
    Sal Monella ~PWCM~JL
    Did you know there are Americans out there living amongst us that allowed so-called "specialists" to inject concrete and Silly Putty into they're asses to make them more attractive? How stupid can people be ....... look no further than this link

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/h...

butt

Courtesy ABC news
  • Jesferkicks 2013/06/23 04:18:57
    Not very – it’s so common nowadays.
    Jesferkicks
    The docs have had plenty of practice to be pretty good at it by now.
  • Flamingolady 2013/06/23 02:59:12
    Not very – it’s so common nowadays.
    Flamingolady
    I worked for plastic surgeons many moons ago, and was privileged enough to work for the doctor who was the founder of the breast reconstructive surgery that allows a surgeon to take abdominal fat and tunnel it up to make breasts that still have a blood supply attached. It was named "transabdominal island flap reconstruction" . It was revolutionary, and changed the way reconstruction surgery after mastectomies is done. There were risks, but even the seemingly innocuous tattoo procedures have risks. Walking down the street has risks, and the surgeries you are referring to all do have risks. Just look at some of the after photos when plastic surgery goes wrong. Always do due diligence and investigate the surgeon.
  • kimmie 2013/06/22 21:27:25
    kimmie
    I hate these kind of surgeries it makes people look fake !
  • Joe 2013/06/22 21:19:05
    Joe
    This would be an awesome T.V. show where celebrities were in consultations for these kinds of surgeries, then they do the surgery, and it is like Punk'd but for your face, and they really screw up all of the celebrities faces forever.

That would be gold and teach them a lesson.

Oh man, I would love to see a few people on there...

Too bad it would last only one season due to all of the lawsuits LOL.
  • Manster 2013/06/22 20:07:08
    Manster
    +1
    Any time someone has to be put under anesthesia, there's no guarantee that they'll be ok afterwards.
  • Papilio Manster 2013/06/22 21:43:15
    Papilio
    +1
    Or if they'll wake up after it at all LOL
  • Manster Papilio 2013/06/23 15:23:34
    Manster
    Exactly! That happened to the father of one of my friends. He had undergone all of the tests prior to the surgery,and everything looked good,but on the day of the surgery,he died on the operating table.
  • Michael 2013/06/22 19:27:50 (edited)
    Michael
    But, I won't even pierce my ears!
  • Nicole 2013/06/22 18:38:17
    Not very – it’s so common nowadays.
    Nicole
    The benefits outweigh the risk. I plan on getting it done in the near future. If the person has the money than they should do it if it will make them more self confident and happier. I am doing research on procedures and surgeons.
  • strawberry 2013/06/22 08:07:46
    Not very – it’s so common nowadays.
    strawberry
    +1
    I had cosmetic surgery which cost $12,000. If a plastic surgeon is giving you a cheap bargain, run the other way. A reliable plastic surgeon will first send you for heart exams, and extensive eye exams and tests.
  • Lady Aiyanna 2013/06/22 07:02:38
    Lady Aiyanna
    And you blamed Michael Jackson for starting the trend while he wasn't featured on the highest cosmetic surgery list. His was medical for a broken nose that needed to be corrected a couple of times before he could breathe properly. As a person who has injured my nose and had oxygen tubes inserted as a child, I can tell you it is just painful with that much and you have constant colds, persistent headaches and what not until you are completely healed. Not to mention giddiness. I broke my nose twice as a child and no more, I am careful with myself now. There are scar tissues too which hurt pain and look unsightly too... Its things that those you have had such procedures have to live with.....
  • JC 2013/06/22 05:53:49
    JC
    I dont like the idea
  • Dgjot~PWCM~JLA 2013/06/22 04:53:07 (edited)
    Dgjot~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Pete Burns before and after plastic surgery Poor Pete.
  • Southernhick82 2013/06/22 03:19:11
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2013/06/22 01:59:15
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    You have no idea how many men have penis issues due to circumcisions. Also, one of my friends got a nose job, and now her nose looks even worse than it did before. Not to mention all the women with horrible looking breast implants...
  • adeenmckenziekennedy 2013/06/22 01:53:12
  • Bibliophilic 2013/06/22 01:50:48
    Bibliophilic
    The percentage of people who need further unintended corrective surgeries in order to fix previous surgeries is high. After so many operations we tend to lose our individuality and beauty.
  • CAPISCE 2013/06/22 00:13:48
    CAPISCE
    +5
  • Souther... CAPISCE 2013/06/22 03:20:10
  • Rob Souther... 2013/06/22 07:12:49
    Rob
    +1
    That a shot from the movie Brazil, in case you are interested.
  • Dick Nixon 2013/06/21 22:49:21
    Dick Nixon
    I had to have cosmetic surgery on the left side of my face by my right eye... I was hit by a brick that fell off of a scaffold on a construction site... I had a fracture from the left temple down along the side of my nose to my gum line... The procedure could have left me blind in my left eye... i was very lucky...
  • vinnysmom1221 2013/06/21 20:11:50
    vinnysmom1221
    Not saying no one should do it, but they really need to look into the risks and see if it's worth it. I see nothing wrong with that man's nose in the "before" picture. I would not have felt that was worth the risk (not a judgment call on him, just my own opinion)
  • Jaguar 2013/06/21 17:45:35
    Jaguar
    +1
    Surgery is surgery... And it's not just 'cut some skin where no one will see' stuff... Cosmetic is for all eyes and changes how you look...
  • LourdesO 2013/06/21 17:04:31
    LourdesO
    All invasive medical procedures have their risks and when you go to the doctor for plastic surgery, the doctor tells you about the risks, and the expected results in a realistic way. Getting a plastic surgery is not always vanity or selfishness in some cases if the person takes the decision is because there is something in her or his appearance that is affecting his or her life in a tramatic way, if the results of the surgery are good it, can change their life for good forever. It is a hard decision and it should not be taken lightly.
  • JillWagnerForever 2013/06/21 16:20:23
    JillWagnerForever
    They could ruin your look and some damage are forever.
  • Bocephus 2013/06/21 16:08:38
  • BoyGirlStuff 2013/06/21 15:53:30
    BoyGirlStuff
    Any surgical procedure can result in death, so why take that risk if it's not necessary?
  • Jimm 2013/06/21 15:40:51
    Jimm
    All surgery...no matter how simple...are risky. Any time you cut into the skin and open the body's inner working to the outside environment...no matter how sanitary and controlled... you run the risk of infection and problems. Therefore, if necessary surgery is potentially risky, optional...even frivilous...surgery for cosmetic purposes is just asking for trouble.
  • Yami no KoHime 2013/06/21 15:23:53
    Yami no KoHime
    lol
  • Kigan 2013/06/21 14:36:01
    Kigan
    +1
    Far too risky just because you don't like some physical something about yourself. We all have those things - most of us just accept them and move on.
  • Skylerbabe 2013/06/21 12:52:41
    Skylerbabe
    Melted Barbie doll face
    She wanted a new body Melted Barbie doll face

He want Brest implants Melted Barbie doll face ...can't explain this

2014/09/03 03:58:39