How old should you be to drink alcohol?

Paul 2008/07/02 23:57:24
Seven states are considering lowering the drinking age... How old should you be to legally consumer alcohol? Poynter Story

• Paul 2008/07/02 23:58:35
    18 - When you're an adult you're old enough
    Paul
    +7
    Pick whichever reason you want - old enough to vote, old enough to fight in a war, old enough to get married, old enough to adopt children, old enough to drive a car, old enough to smoke cigarettes, old enough to go to prison for the rest of your life... OLD ENOUGH TO DRINK ALCOHOL.

• realin 2009 2008/11/14 22:53:51
    realin 2009
    for the same reason all the other realistic peoples said....
  • ElectronicAlexa [dhr] 2008/10/17 23:10:44
  • jnewitt 2008/07/09 21:12:17
    jnewitt
    If you can fight for this country and vote at 18, you should also be allowed to drink. Also, rent a car. I hate this only 25 year olds can rent cars rule.
  • ♥Stephii!♥ 2008/07/09 19:19:47
    ♥Stephii!♥
    It's easier. The age for smoking, the age you go to college, the age you're allowed to get married, have kids, go to prison, and call an 800 # lol.
  • Stephen 2008/07/08 17:05:20
    Stephen
    The drinking age should be lowered to 18. I spent over twenty-five years as a addictions counselor treating alcoholism and addiction, but the evidence points out that merely waiting until one is twenty-one does nothing to prevent acohol abuse. If we really want to eliminate underage drinking, we should lower the drinking age. If we really want to reduce alcohol abuse, we should teach young people how to drink responsibly. Alcohol is a dangerous drug, but can also be a pleaureable social experience. No one wants young people to die in automobiles because they were driving intoxicated. We recognize that automobiles are dangerous, and teach young people how to drive safely. What we are doing now with alcohol, wating until someone is twenty-one, then assuming they can automatically as a matter of age, drink responsibly; is like waiting until twenty-one, then assuming that as a matter of age they can drive responsibly. One has only to look at those cultures, such as France and Italy, where young people are taught how to drink responsibly in the home, before the age of 21, to recognize that these cultures have not the most problems with alcohol, but the least.
  • Boilermc 2008/07/07 19:30:56
    Boilermc
    +1
    If you're old enough to fight and die for our country, you should be able to order a drink!
  • ★ SLC ★ 2008/07/07 19:17:42
    21 Years Old - the law is right now
    ★ SLC ★
    +1
    Let's leave the law alone.Those in the military should receive special considerations but, beyond that, don't fix what isn't broken.
    Lets see.... alcohol loosens inhibitions; you make bad judgments that can result in car accidents, unwanted pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases or rape. A significant proportion of violent crimes and vandalism among and by young adults involves alcohol. About 40% of all crimes (violent and non-violent) are committed under the influence of alcohol. Alcohol-related car crashes are the number one killer of young adults in the United States.

Bottom line is this: Alcohol is a dangerous drug. Instead of debating about lowering the legal drinking age, we should be debating about how to keep the drug out of the hands of the younger ones.
    As a teen-aged person I was stabbed at a Halloween party (alcohol was the cause) and left for dead in an abandoned car. Another time, I was stomped in a parking lot by two drunk individuals until I was unconscious with several fractures in my face and a few teeth missing. (we were all under-age and drunk). I was also involved in a terrible car accident where myself and a few other drunk and under-age friends were airlifted to the hospital. I suffered head, neck and back injuries which still bother me today.

My p...

My point is this: Teens are not mature enough to successfully manage a drug as powerful as alcohol. And while they will still find a way to procure their alcohol, we should not make it available to them legally.
  • Davidaaf ★ SLC ★ 2008/07/10 00:49:45
    Davidaaf
    SLC_X, Excellent comment!! Until I focus on the fact that you believe those in the military should have special considerations????
    I hope you mean the age restriction should be Raised for them.

I mean, you say....

About 40% of all crimes (violent and non-violent) are committed under the influence of alcohol. Alcohol-related car crashes are the number one killer of young adults in the United States.

So, you cannot be suggesting that we let our 18, 19 or 20yro soldiers drink.

That would be absoluetly insane. BTW, given your alcohol related events you might decide to never drink again. However, your stories explain much about you.
  • ★ SLC ★ Davidaaf 2008/07/10 03:58:17
    ★ SLC ★
    +1
    My alcohol related events I earlier mentioned are actually only a few of many. I've spent a lifetime battling an addiction to the stuff. Still haven't beaten it down completely, but am not far from it, I believe.

And as far as my comment about special considerations for under-age military personnel... I'm going to go ahead and admit that I was wrong on that. I've given it some thought and I don't feel that the law should be changed for ANYONE... particularly people in the military, and especially those that have seen any kind of combat.
    They often times have enough to deal with psychologically without alcohol exacerbating the problem.

Explains a lot about me, huh. Care to expound?
  • Davidaaf ★ SLC ★ 2008/07/11 00:30:23
    Davidaaf
    +1
    SLC_X,

I appreciate your response. Alcoholism has to be one of the most difficult addictions to conquer. Drinking is legal, alcohol can be easily purchased and is socially acceptable. It's a tough struggle. I wish you luck.

I also agree 100% with your new thoughts on the drinking age and our military. They do have alot of psych/social adjusting to do. You're right, it could exacerbate their situation, and become an unhealthy escape.

Thanks again for your reply.
  • ★ SLC ★ Davidaaf 2008/07/11 01:43:26
    ★ SLC ★
    +1
    Thank you, David.
    Yeah, I felt kind of silly after reviewing my earlier post regarding the special considerations I mentioned. I felt it was worth some reflection, and I feel comfortable with my new stance. I believe it's the right one, and I'm glad that you agree.
  • Davidaaf ★ SLC ★ 2008/07/11 01:58:10
    Davidaaf
    +1
    At least you think about what you've said. Many post and don't think twice. I'm glad that we can actually talk. That doesn't mean we agree on everything, but we can talk. Thanks...
  • ★ SLC ★ Davidaaf 2008/07/11 02:05:53 (edited)
    ★ SLC ★
    +1
    Surprised that I'm not a total bastard without any redeemable qualities? lol... just kidding.
    Yeah, I find it refreshing when someone can admit they were wrong and can rethink and study on things like an adult. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know everything, and that I'm wrong about others. Now, if we could just get everyone else to subscribe to that way of thinking, we'd be ahead of the game.
    And yes, while we may disagree about some issues, at least we can talk and tell each other where we stand. I appreciate that.
  • Davidaaf ★ SLC ★ 2008/07/11 02:17:18
    Davidaaf
    +1
    Just taken back a bit..maybe we can influence people to that way of thinking. You never know...
  • ★ SLC ★ Davidaaf 2008/07/11 02:21:36
    ★ SLC ★
    +1
    Here is is to trying...
  • Davidaaf ★ SLC ★ 2008/07/11 03:25:31
    Davidaaf
    +1
    Cheers!
  • Sincerely Audley 2008/07/07 19:04:21
    Sincerely Audley
    +1
    i dont get that when you are 18 you are considered old enough to live on your own and make your own decisions and hell even fight for your country. but you cant drink...i just cant wrap my mind around the logic behind that.
  • momrules316 2008/07/07 13:15:36
    momrules316
    +1
    If you are old enough to fight for our country you are old enough to drink a beer.
  • lilj 2008/07/06 23:34:40
    19 - Out of high school
    lilj
    i am 13 and i drink i had to pick one
  • ronnie 2008/07/06 22:26:34
    ronnie
    +1
    We are old enough to vote at 18, serve in the military, so why not be like the rest of the world and allow drinking at 18???
  • integrity 2008/07/06 17:32:08
    integrity
    +1
    These young adults are trained to go to war to use judgement on who to decipher when they have to be faced with killing ..enemy or civillian...a mistake made and its a life., with decisions to effect the lives of others among their fellows troops, with thousdands of dollars of equipment and the responsibilities are endless with what we ask of them at 18...then to say you can not be responsible enough to drink alcohol?...If we were not at war yes keep it at 21. Maybe make an exception to troops. In some states kids are married at 15, having babies even younger. In many ways our current 18 year olds are more intelligent ( due to ther information age) and should be given more weight into proving that resonsiility with maybe a moratorium of change for a year than see the results compared to the data now.
  • Ant~ All Woman All Amazing~ 2008/07/06 14:16:27
    Ant~ All Woman All Amazing~
    That is what it is where I live , and I am happy with it : ) 18 adult live happy
  • Mr. Nichols 2008/07/05 22:31:49
    21 Years Old - the law is right now
    Mr. Nichols
    +1
    When I was in the Navy and still underaged, I used to think the age should be lowered. However, looking back, I have changed my mind. I was young and stupid back then. I would have surely gotten into trouble or maybe worse. It's not that I didn't drink, but since I couldn't drink at bars and stuff, I was usually in the safety of my apartment or something. If 18 year olds could drink legally, wow, there's no telling what would happen, but I guarantee the outcome wouldn't be positive.
  • .Christine. 2008/07/05 22:25:18
    21 Years Old - the law is right now
    .Christine.
    Girls brains aren't usually done developing until their around 21, and a male's brain isn't done developing until around 25. It screws with your brain even more than it usually does when your over 25. And it's bad enough when people become alcoholics when they are 21, we don't need 16 year olds to end their life sooner, also.
  • Bye! 2008/07/05 19:08:09
    21 Years Old - the law is right now
    Bye!
    125! And not a minute sooner!
  • Mel 2008/07/05 02:01:59
    Mel
    +1
    It's dumb not to give adults there own privalidges.
  • meggie 2008/07/03 23:58:25 (edited)
  • Captain America 2008/07/03 23:53:43 (edited)
    Captain America
    +1
    If your old enough to die for this nation,.....Yes then.
    I heard them all, Old enough to go to jail for murder? - No way! and not after either. I dont like rewarding killers. Some enter that arena at 15 and many times alcohol was already an element.
    Old enough to drive? 15? A freshman and vodka and his car? Not smart. Hellll no!
    But I only say old enough to die meaning SOLDERS, not others should have that reward as an honnor - not some 16 year olds that killed homeless people in FL with gasoline and base ball batts who are getting life, prison time has nothing to do with anything at all., The military ALREADY allows enlisted persons to drink on base so there is even precedence for it. They deserve it.
    18 adult enought die nation
  • dustin 2008/07/03 23:34:33
    21 Years Old - the law is right now
    dustin
    +1
    4 years old
  • Amanda 2008/07/03 23:23:42
    21 Years Old - the law is right now
    Amanda
    ya well admittedly most of us *wink* brake this law but it gives us something to look forward too

i mean i looked forward to being 18...i need something to keep me going
  • Nicole 2008/07/03 23:21:33
    Nicole
    +2
    You can fight for our country but you can't have a beer legally?? That's crazy!
  • texgem 2008/07/03 23:14:01
    texgem
    +1
    If you're old enough to serve in the armed forces then you should be old enough to drink.
  • maegan 2008/07/03 23:12:04
    21 Years Old - the law is right now
    maegan
    +2
    u have to wait for things in life sometimes
  • Ashley 2008/07/03 23:08:18
    Ashley
    +1
    thats what i think
  • Malibulorie 2008/07/03 23:04:30
    21 Years Old - the law is right now
    Malibulorie
    you really shouldn't drink at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jeff 2008/07/03 23:03:49
  • M 2008/07/03 23:02:15
    M
    +1
    In general I'd agree with Paul. I think it depends on the maturity of the individual; seems to me if you're old enough to make adult decisions (drive, join the military etc) you should certainly be able to drink legally.
  • Animallovr85 2008/07/03 22:51:14
    Animallovr85
    +1
    Why 21 that is to old!!
  • jimih67 2008/07/03 22:27:53 (edited)
    21 Years Old - the law is right now
    jimih67
    +1
    I couldn't buy beer legally until I was 21. If it was good enough for me, it is good enough for everyone else. Plus, it gives you a reason to look forward to your 21st birthday...because believe me, that is the LAST birthday you will ever look forward to.
  • Jamesy818 [Raccoon VP] 2008/07/03 22:13:01
    Jamesy818 [Raccoon VP]
    +1
    I actually think 16 is the right age because making a person "wait" till they are 21 is why many teens drink irresponsibly.

2014/07/24 02:24:00