How much will your Health Insurance cost under the Health Care Reform ?

2012 Obama 2012/03/20 13:22:47
There is a lot of misinformation and fear mongering being spread here on SH and in the media by the anti Health Care Reform people claiming outrageous figures for Insurance rates when the reform is implemented for everyone in 2014.

The Kaiser Foundation has provided a very simple tool that anyone can use that will give you a close estimate of what your insurance will cost in 2014 if Health Care Reform is implemented as planned.

Please go here and follow the instructions:

http://healthreform.kff.org/SubsidyCalculator.aspx

Example:

For a 24 year old single person making $30,000 a year the premium is $2,509. You would receive a $882 Government subsidy and your total out of pocket expense for insurance would be $3,125.

For 35 year old married Head of Household with 4 children making $60,000 a year your premium would be $4,937. You would receive a $6,167 Government subsidy and your total out of pocket expense for insurance would be $6,250.

The Health Care Reform will also cover many new services for free like preventative care, pre-natal care, screenings, and contraceptives. These services will reduce illness and keep people healthier reducing the costs for medical care for everyone.

http://www.healthcare.gov/news/factsheets/2010/07/preventive-...

Children under 27 will be able to stay on their parent's Insurance and no one will be turned down for a pre-existing condition and you can not be kicked off your insurance if you get sick or are laid off from your work under the Affordable Health Care Act.

So go plug your numbers into the calculator and then compare that to what you are now paying or what you would pay under the present system and tell us what you discovered and how it will effect you personally.

Please keep in mind these figures are estimates and are only for people not covered by a company insurance plan and will vary somewhat by state.

Your thoughts ?

• Jean 2012/06/29 11:27:01
    Here are my numbers and thoughts...
    Jean
    I live in a small country in europle now, we have health insurance here that has very good coverage and we only pay 1600 euros a year. Also the meds that I take, cost me over 500 a month in the states, and here for the same meds, I pay less than 350 every 2 months.
    I also have medicare part B which cost me 110.00 a month out of my Social Security.
    No one however is able to tell me what it is gpoing to cost me for the Obamacare on my income and age, that is very important to to senior citizens.
  • rikonjohn 2012/03/21 02:01:23
    Here are my numbers and thoughts...
    rikonjohn
    +1
    Exactly the same as it does now. We're grandfathered in with very good health insurance and the additional factor of being able to get my 23-year old son back on the program.

Our insurance is not without flaws but has many fewer now than it did before the ACA, better known as "Obamacare". We have no ceilings, the insurance no longer plays games about what they'll pay for (with rare exception), the dentist, doctors and nurses have been astonished at how little they have to fight to get payment for their services.

Overall, a BIG thumbs up!
  • Doreen 2012/03/20 21:28:46
    Here are my numbers and thoughts...
    Doreen
    I am on SSDI and work once a year during tax season and my husband works full time. He gets insurance through his job but we can not afford the plus 400 dollars a month for me to be on his good insurance so I pay for medicare insurance which we can handle. None of the sites that I went to gave the possibility of working in our finances together. I am very sure that if this reform passes our health care is going to become a financial night mare. When car insurance became mandatory the insurance sky rocketed and the same will happen if health insurance becomes mandatory.
  • 2012 Obama Doreen 2012/03/20 21:35:37 (edited)
    2012 Obama
    Medicare will not be effected by HCR and you are getting even more benefits under HCR which closed the medicare prescription doughnunt hole.

Car insurance did not skyrocket when it was implemented nation wide. It reduced the number of people injured in accidents that had no legal recourse to get compensated.
  • Bocephus 2012/03/20 21:08:53
  • 2012 Obama Bocephus 2012/03/20 21:37:29
    2012 Obama
    Do you pay a deductible ?

Plans through work may change and you will get some additional benefits covered for free such as contraception, preventative services etc.
  • Bocephus 2012 Obama 2012/03/20 21:56:19
  • 2012 Obama Bocephus 2012/03/20 22:00:15
    2012 Obama
    +1
    Some screenings like mamograms for women and cancer screenings for men will be free once a year.
  • Bocephus 2012 Obama 2012/03/20 22:04:09
  • 2012 Obama Bocephus 2012/03/20 22:18:26
    2012 Obama
    Well when you consider most people pay a deductible and get nothing from their insurance at least they get those services which helps.
  • Bocephus 2012 Obama 2012/03/20 22:32:10
  • 2012 Obama Bocephus 2012/03/20 22:45:49
    2012 Obama
    +1
    We all pay one way or another- I just want people to get some real benefit for what we are paying.
  • StupidSexyFlanders 2012/03/20 19:10:23
    Here are my numbers and thoughts...
    StupidSexyFlanders
    +1
    While Health Care Reform is an improvement, it's not good enough. We need to fundamentally change the landscape of the Health Care Industry. There are still around 50 million Americans uninsured and a lot of them will never have Health Insurance unless we adopt a system that has been proven to be far more efficient.

You are probably already aware of all this, I'm just beating a dead horse.
  • 2012 Obama StupidS... 2012/03/20 19:13:14
    2012 Obama
    +1
    Insuring more people should bring down medical costs but I think stricter regulation is needed when we pay 1000 times as much for the same prescription meds other countries pay for and buy from us. Something stinks in that system.

Or $2000 for an MRI when the machine costs a few hundred thousand.
  • Rebel Yell 2012/03/20 15:53:54
    Here are my numbers and thoughts...
    Rebel Yell
    +2
    About 20 countries offer health care for their citizens. All of them... like Switzerland and Taiwan... use a government sponsored model. They also provide bertter care and at much lower costs. Average cost of an anglogram in the USA is $798. In Canada it is $ 35. Percentage of American with diabetes? 10%. In the UK, it is 4%.

What we must do is try to provide decent and afforable health care. At present we have the least efficient and most costly health care on the planet. 1 in 5 Americans go bankrupt over medical costs. Clearly, what we have been doing is not working . Our congressmen know this. Back in the day, Romney and Gingrich were champions of national health care... before they decided to let politics play with facts and demonize it with fuzzy math.
  • Lulu's Mom 2012/03/20 14:58:26
    Here are my numbers and thoughts...
    Lulu's Mom
    +1
    Thanks I did the math, and it would be much cheaper with the new plan.
  • 2012 Obama Lulu's Mom 2012/03/20 15:23:29
    2012 Obama
    +1
    Yes it saves me about 1/3rd on premiums and the free services will make paying the deductible worth it.

2014/10/01 06:04:59