How Much of a Role Should the Government Pay in the Nutrition of School Lunches?

ABC News U.S. 2012/01/28 11:31:36
Related Topics: School, Nutrition, Government

• Risk 2012/01/28 14:25:32
    Government should take a major role in offering healthy meals.
    Risk
    +5
    Somebody needs to do it, it's apparent from all the fat ass kids today that their parents aren't paying attention !

• Minarchist 2012/02/04 13:01:14
    Parents should decide what their children eat.
    Minarchist
    There is no government like no government
  • Flamingolady 2012/02/03 16:09:04
    Flamingolady
    What the government does and does not do is becoming blurred with the government doing everything. I remember back in the 60s when President Kennedy mandated all the junk out of the cafeterias at school. Well, all we did was bring stuff from home. We would freeze a coke and then it would be melted enough for lunch. Kids will bring junk from home, if the parents provide it, and the whole program will fail, as it did in the 60s. My mother stopped buying cokes when she realized what we were doing, and she NEVER bought junk foods, we couldn't afford it, so problem solved. It has to come from the parents if it is to succeed.
  • dollphinz 2012/02/03 13:18:50
    dollphinz
    Let each state decide what happens within their school districts. The federal government is to involved in peoples daily lives. The more they become involved, the fewer freedoms we have.
  • ruru 2012/01/29 03:38:40
    ruru
    Sone of todays parents don't make good nutritional choices for their children. Neither do some schools. Where I went to school, they made real food not a bunch of processed crap.
  • Alvin 2012/01/28 22:46:03
    Alvin
    +1
    Let us face facts. Many parents don't know and don't care what their children are doing or eating. It is the "microwave yourself something when you get home" syndrome.
  • Fannie 2012/01/28 20:46:53
    Fannie
    +2
    It's a first step in the right direction, and a step to success.
  • davidl 2012/01/28 20:13:36
    davidl
    +2
    I'm more for local school districts to set local standards with input from the school's PTA.
  • Hobbitt / Oldsquid 2012/01/28 17:11:37
    Hobbitt / Oldsquid
    +3
    I want the Government OUT of my life their SOLE job is National dewfense..
  • Woody 2012/01/28 16:40:26
    Woody
    +1
    Local control!!!!!!
  • william keegan 2012/01/28 16:35:41
    william keegan
    +2
    You don't differentiate which level of government you are concerned with! The federal and state governments should have NO role in this matter. Local school boards may provide input if they so choose. The primary responsibility for child nutrition belongs to the child's parents!
  • Wolf 2012/01/28 16:31:34
    Wolf
    +1
    Government role stops at information only...
  • Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/01/28 16:28:21 (edited)
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +3
    Parents need to stop pushing their responsibilities on the government, and the government needs to stop taking away the rights of the people.

Even though some parents clearly arent doing their job right, what makes you think the government, owned by off-shore corporate special interests and in more debt than anyone could imagine, is going to do a better job?

I should also add that being fat is a right. Its not my right, nor the government's right to get involved in someone else's choice. About the only time I'd make an exception to this is when a parent's negligence is putting the child's life in danger,but then its not a matter of diet. Its a matter of life and death that would justify intervention for children.
  • TheRichZone 2012/01/28 16:19:22
    TheRichZone
    +1
    I believe in self-government
  • Marc Allen 2012/01/28 16:04:22
    Marc Allen
    +1
    Don't think it makes a difference.There always been a choice between government Heath or parentel oversight.
  • romanknite 2012/01/28 15:58:08
    romanknite
    +1
    Of course parents should decide what their children eat. But I see nothing wrong with the schools having to serve healthy foods while my child is under their roof. I would prefer my child to eat healthy. But when they're home I'll feed them what ever I want them to eat. I believe most Americans would agree. But my personal opinion is, that the people arguing against healthy foods for their child are only fighting it because of who is running the Government.
  • JonDeniro 2012/01/28 15:56:22
    JonDeniro
    +1
    Where in the enumerated powers granted by the states to the federal government in the Constitution is this authorized?
  • Reggie☮ 2012/01/28 15:53:56
    Reggie☮
    +1
    I'm not saying healthy school lunches are in any way bad but do you want the government to tell you EVERYTHING? You have a working brain, don't you? Next they will be in your house scheduling bedtimes, TV and video game time, what you're allowed to have for groceries, how often to have sex. People you have a brain, USE IT!
  • The Bantam Seditioner 2012/01/28 15:52:35 (edited)
    The Bantam Seditioner
    The obesity epidemic has a lot more to do with poor education (including by government-approved sources), than with our basic freedom of choice. If we really want to address the issues, we should start by scrapping the USDA's completely bogus and compromised "food pyramid" that advises grains and breads be consumed as much as any other food group.

Anybody who genuinely thinks more top-down government control will "fix" the problem of poor nutrition in American schools need only take a look at how our own government has colluded with Big Agribusiness to write the dietary policies of America, and with Big Pharma to craft its drug and healthcare policies. Do you really trust these crooks with the lives and health of your children more than you trust yourselves?
  • dave b 2012/01/28 15:49:17
    dave b
    +1
    I'm sorry, but to seriously ask if the government should be involved in anything of importance is sheer stupidity.
  • Maci 2012/01/28 14:50:00
  • william... Maci 2012/01/28 16:37:51
    william keegan
    +1
    And idiots are not allowed in government????????
  • Maci william... 2012/01/28 16:44:55
  • william... Maci 2012/01/28 19:19:43
    william keegan
    If you can't comment without using vulgarities, I do not care to continue the thread!
  • Maci william... 2012/01/28 19:23:30 (edited)
  • Maci william... 2012/01/28 19:25:30
  • Maci william... 2012/01/28 16:47:42
  • william... Maci 2012/01/28 19:28:19
    william keegan
    My comment was in response to: "because there are a lot of parents who can't get off their fat ass or have the means to provide a healthy lunch. the problem with this country is that ANY IDIOT can be a parent."

That comment indicated a belief that government can make better decisions than parents. I disagree, I believe parents, in general, know and care more about their children than some faceless bureaucrat with unknown motivations and possibly an alternative belief system, that has other than the children's best interest in mind, when making decisions.
  • Maci william... 2012/01/28 19:31:34 (edited)
  • william... Maci 2012/01/28 21:15:23
    william keegan
    What rock did you crawl out from under? Have I even mentioned roads, fire dept. police or anything? Get off your bandwagon, I made a simple comment about government involvement in school lunches, and you dive off the end on a diatribe about all kinds of unrelated government activities.

Might I suggest that mankind has been occupying this planet for millions of years, and people have been living generation to generation throughout all of that millennia without some government bureaucrat determining what children eat for lunch. Mankind has survived all this time without government assistance, how can you account for that?
  • Maci william... 2012/01/28 21:22:22 (edited)
  • Risk 2012/01/28 14:25:32
    Risk
    +5
  • kotabear Risk 2012/01/28 18:43:58
    kotabear
    +1
    Yes, but from what I see at school, provided lunches are not entirely healthy either.
  • Risk kotabear 2012/01/28 18:49:30
    Risk
    +1
    Anything is better then Twinkies, a Snicker bar and a diet Pepsi !
  • jacob crim 2012/01/28 14:00:07
    jacob crim
    This is one of the VERY few areas I believe government should have more influence in, I do not think they should have total control though. I only feel this way because it seems most parents have no clue on how to raise their children nutritionally. Then again the government is probably just shoving Monsanto down their throats, giving them cancer, diabetes and making them sterile.
  • Wahvlvke 2012/01/28 13:19:40
    Wahvlvke
    +1
    The government has no business getting involved in school lunches.
  • Cliff 2012/01/28 12:47:32
    Cliff
    +1
    Government does not belong in the ed biz
  • ed 2012/01/28 12:46:38
    ed
    +2
    if the government thinks they need to be the ones telling kids what they need to eat then those in government that feel like they should be in charge of school lunchs then they are the ones that need to pay the cost of this new program of you'll eat what we tell you to eat. michelle obama telling us what to eat
  • RandyScott (Party of One) 2012/01/28 12:39:50
    RandyScott (Party of One)
    +3
    I don't need or want the Federal Government involved in any aspect of how our Children are raised.

Fortunately my own Children are now adults, and it didn't take Government intervention to do it. It took me and my wife being Parents.

2014/07/28 04:17:05