How much control should government have in our lives?

JDLogan 2009/03/23 03:45:40
The government knows best, that's why we elect them!
We need some help all the way around, but not too much.
We need lots of help deciding what to do with all our pesky money!
We need lots of help with our morals, government should tell us what to do with our body, our free time, and our education.
Government should back off! We are capable of making our own choices, and living with the consequences.
Do we need the government to monitor our every move? Or do we need our government to butt out? Maybe a little control? Maybe a lot?

• icymore 2009/03/23 03:51:00
    icymore
    +3
    All I know is I don't want the government telling me how to live my life or what morals I have to live by. I want privacy, I want freedom to make my own decisions. At the same time, I want to pay taxes but I want that tax money to be used only for things that benefit the people, such as universal health care, for example.

So what does that make me? Social libertarian?

• Government should back off! We are capable of making our own choices, and liv...
    spidermonkey™POTL~PWCM~JLA☮Paul
    +2
    Gov't should back the hell off and let us make our own decisions......I don't want the gov't controlling me!!!!!
  • A 2009/03/27 13:52:14
    A
    +1
    Government should provide military and other forms of protection, they should regulate industry, universal health care would be nice, of course public schooling, but they should stay out of private issues.

Mostly, they should ensure that every single citizen has exactly the same civil rights as every other citizen. Bar none.
  • Greywolf~In God We Trust~ 2009/03/23 11:07:26
    Government should back off! We are capable of making our own choices, and liv...
    Greywolf~In God We Trust~
    +2
    Write to your congressman, do it now, today, be specific, but make yourself heard, and let them you know you expect them to read and respond to your requests, in order for you to continue to support them.
    Knowledge is paramount, so please, Watch "The Obama Deception" asap.

The full length high quality film is free to download or watch from Utube right now. It's not just another Obama bash, seriously, it is a lot more than Obama pissing everyone off, and why they are all pissing on everything we own and have grown to love, all we held sacred most of our lives, just taking it all away, a little at a time, so we will let them.....Watch this....
    .
    .
  • Lynn \m/ 2009/03/23 08:30:28
    Lynn \m/
    +2
    We need WAY less government control and interference in our lives. The government has lost its way on why it is even there in the first place.
  • Karensue322 2009/03/23 05:15:13
    Karensue322
    +2
    I am really getting worried where this government is going right now. Why would I want corrupt people deciding what is best for me. Maybe more people should be watching what is going on and start doing something about it by their vote, come on people get yourselves educated!
  • LilHulk88 2009/03/23 05:08:35
    LilHulk88
    +2
    Live Free or Die...The government should only provide basic services and a basic safety net nothing more.
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2009/03/23 04:00:40
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +2
    The government works for us. We not a kingdom and we their serfs. We the people are in charge. The government is there only to provide services such as safety, fire and protection. To build only some of the infrastructure but with non governmental services and to bid the projects.
    Our representatives are to be chosen as our founding fathers wanted as stated in the Bible in Exodus 18. To have representatives for our neighborhoods and for our towns and cities, for our counties and for our States, and our States to be represented on a National scale and our representatives are only suppose to do what we the people want them to do not their own agenda with their own purpose in mind.

Our Founding Fathers knew people like we have in office now as they saw that power hungering mongers from England that were not abiding by the rules.
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ Hula gi... 2009/03/23 04:13:21
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +2
    So, if I'm Hindu, a Buddhist, Islamic, or "New Age," this government doesn't represent me because i'm not a Christian? Sorry, the Founding Fathers worked very hard to distant government from religion--thank God, Buddha, or whomever, that they did.
  • Hula gi... ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2009/03/23 04:28:29
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    Sorry but Hindu, Buddhist, Islamic still believe in a higher power and the founding fathers and to include a Muslim that was part of that vote. I don't care what you state fact is fact our form of government did in fact come from the type of representational government that was laid out in Exodus 18. You should be thankful of that otherwise we would have been a Kingdom. That has nothing to do with Religion that has to do with men that wanted to look to God for guidance and they choose a government for the people by the people. We are only country in the whole entire world in the history of mankind to have our government, for that you should be grateful. If you are not grateful that keep it to yourself because the rest of us are. We have the longest ongoing Constitutional Republic in the History of the World because of our religious foundation. We are a Christian Nation with the TOLERANCE of other religions. Just like Japan is a Buddhist nation, India is more of a Hindu nation, we are a Christian nation.
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ Hula gi... 2009/03/23 04:43:02
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +1
    And, I disagree. BS, we would most definitely NOT have a Kingdom. That was the entire point of that part of the 1st Ameridment. This is what I HATE about religion. It takes on the air of being what everything is established on in this country--like Christianity is elite when it most definitely is NOT. I want to puke. I know 'real' Christians are out there-the ones that aren't Bible Tumpers--but I don't run into them very often of SodaHead.
  • Hula gi... ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2009/03/23 04:47:17 (edited)
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    No, we would not have a 1st Amendment. You are confused. We have our form of GOVERNMENT BECAUSE OF EXODUS 18. If you knew what Exodus 18 said then maybe you could speak. It's not talking about God it's talking about Government. The other thing you are very wrong about God was not taken out of Government the Government was taken out of the Church and that's why we have the first Amendment. Maybe you should learn the first Amendment. It is taking Government out of the CHURCH NOT God out Government. God was in fact very much a part of our Government.

There were 250 Founding Fathers and 85% of them were in fact Evangelical Christians of those many of them were ministers of the Gospel.

The number one resource that was used as a reference when creating our Constitution and Declaration was in fact the Holy Bible. Of all the documents that were used the HOLY BIBLE was in fact referenced 35% which was four times more than the next referenced material and that was 8 times more than the next most referenced material. The one that was 8 times more referenced....A Book of Sermons from the Pulpit.

Why don't you pick up a Bible and Read Exodus 18 around vs 20 and you can read why we have Neighborhood boards and town councils and Mayors and State Senators and Governors and National House of Repre...'''

""

Why don't you pick up a Bible and Read Exodus 18 around vs 20 and you can read why we have Neighborhood boards and town councils and Mayors and State Senators and Governors and National House of Representatives and Senators and then the President. It's all spelled out until The Bible. If it wasn't for that being there we would in fact be a Kingdom and not have our type of government because no other nation had this form of Government except for the Israelite's for that time in the Desert 4000 years ago.

Because of the Bible we are the only Nation in the History of Mankind to have a Government that has "WE THE PEOPLE" .

You should be thankful for the Bible instead of putting it down.
  • CornerBlitz 2009/03/23 03:57:39
    CornerBlitz
    +1
    Less is more. Politicians can stay and Washington and have a big circle jerk with themselves for all I care.
  • no way 2009/03/23 03:54:40
    no way
    +2
    the government cant even control money i dont want them controling my life EVER!
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ no way 2009/03/23 04:14:20
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +1
    They already regulate EVERYTHING in your life. Even the air you breathe.
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2009/03/23 03:52:45
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +2
    Everything we do, drive, type on, eat, breathe, drink, swim in, fly in, ad nauseum has some involvement by the government. I, for one, like the idea knowing that my house is built to certain standards, my food is basically safe, my water source is monitored, the airplane I fly in meets strict standards, my truck meets strict standards, ad nauseum. Government is everywhere. We are government.
  • LilHulk88 ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2009/03/23 05:11:23
    LilHulk88
    +4
    Correct, but those are basic services the government should provide, they should not provide equalization of wages nor limits on what you can do on your own accomplishments, The point of government is to provide basic services and to keep the peace.
  • Lynn \m/ LilHulk88 2009/03/23 08:36:31
  • A ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2009/03/27 13:48:10
    A
    +1
    Great answer.
  • icymore 2009/03/23 03:51:00
    icymore
    +3

• Skeeter... icymore 2009/03/23 12:26:21
    Skeeter -Hmm, Hmm, Hmm
    +1
    You say you want privacy but advocate universal healthcare which is a very public thing.
  • icymore Skeeter... 2009/03/27 01:41:40
    icymore
    +1
    When it comes to morals, I want privacy. When it comes to health care, I want universal.
  • Skeeter... icymore 2009/03/27 13:11:27
    Skeeter -Hmm, Hmm, Hmm
    +1
    You can't have it both ways. That playing pick and choose.
  • icymore Skeeter... 2009/03/27 13:15:44
    icymore
    +1
    I'm not sure why you keep coming back to this conversation. I never said "this is what's going to happen." I said, "This is what I want." I believe that what I described is the way things should be. That doesn't mean I'm ever going to live to see that happen.
  • Skeeter... icymore 2009/03/27 13:27:19
    Skeeter -Hmm, Hmm, Hmm
    +1
    It's an open forum.
  • A icymore 2009/03/27 13:47:49
    A
    +1
    He's picking on you because your response made the most sense. I agree...schools are universal, why not health care? Just because the government funds schools and hopefully, one day, healthcare, doesn't mean they should stick their noses in our bedrooms.
  • A Skeeter... 2009/03/27 13:46:02
    A
    +2
    Why can't we have it both ways? Why can't you have privacy regarding morals and have universal health care. We have a public school system...paid for with tax dollars and you do pay, whether you have children or not. Hate to tell ya, but that makes it...god forbid...socialist.

2014/11/23 08:52:37