How Many Times Is "God" Or "Jesus" Mentioned In The U.S. Constitution?

Bastion 2010/09/12 12:01:19
Related Topics: Constitution, God, Jesus
Zero
Other
I think the answer is "zero". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Headhunter 13 2010/09/16 21:14:59
    Zero
    Headhunter 13
    Not once. There are vague references that people try and intrepret that way but those two words or names never
  • Nobody 2010/09/13 21:13:35 (edited)
    Other
    Nobody
    +2
    Once.

Now tell me how many God is mentioned in the preamble for each state...or how many Holy Bibles were printed just for the menbers of congress...why does congress have a prayer before each session? Here is the latest prayer and who gave it...

Reverend Charles Gallagher
    Heavenly Father, we thank you for this new day. You are the author of life. You have designed the universe and you hold it together in your hands. You govern all things. You are the ruler of the world, the supreme law maker.

Guide this assembly as it participates in your governing power. As it creates laws for the human order, may it always respect the laws your divine order has imposed. Let us remember that the rights of the person come not from the deliberations of men, but from the hand of God.

May this assembly always protect the life and respect the dignity of all human beings, especially those who are too weak and too small to protect themselves.

We ask this through Christ our Lord, Amen.

And here are a few more popular prayers in congress and the person giving it...

Today in Prayer: June 27, 1947

Rev. Peter Marshall, D.D., Chaplain of the U.S. Senate delivered the following prayer at the opening daily session of Congress:

Teach us, O Lord, the disciplines of patience, for we find th...

&

&

Once.

Reverend Charles Gallagher

Today in Prayer: June 27, 1947

Teach us, O Lord, the disciplines of patience, for we find that to wait is often harder than to work.

When we wait upon Thee, we shall not be shamed, but shall renew our strength.

May we be willing to stop our feverish activities and listen to what Thou hast to say, that our prayers shall not be the sending of night letters, but conversations with God.

This we ask in Jesus’ name. Amen.

-----------------------------...

Rev. Peter Marshall, D.D., Chaplain of the U.S. Senate at the opening daily session of Congress, May 27, 1948:

"Lord Jesus, as Thou dost move amoung people and see what men are doing today, how sore must be Thy heart.

Thou whose head was cradled in straw must often reflect that straw was not as coarse as man's selfishness.

Thou whose hands were spread upon a cross and fastened with nails much often reflect that nails were never so sharp as man's ingratitude.

Hear us as we pray for this poor blundering world, in which the nations never seem to learn how to live as brothers.

They resort again and again to methods that produce only more bitter tears, methods that only add to misery and subtract nothing from problems.

Heal them that need healing, make strong the wavering, guide the perplexed, befriend the lonely, give faith and courage to those whose spirits are low.

Lift up our heads, put a new light in our eyes and a new song in our hearts, and we will do better and be better for the sake of Thy love. Amen."

-----------------------------...

George Washington, in his first inaugural address, 1789:

"Such being the impressions under which I have, in obedience to the public summons, repaired to the present station, it would be peculiarly improper to omit, in this first official act, my fervent supplications to that Almighty Being who rules over the universe, who presides in the councils of nations and whose providential aide can supply every human defect, that His benediction may consecrate to the liberties and happiness of the people of the United States a Government instituted by themselves for these essential purposes; and may enable every instrument employed in its administration to execute with success, the functions allotted to his charge."

-----------------------------...

Thomas Jefferson:

"I shall need, too, the favor of that Being in whose hands we are, who led our fathers, as Israel of old, from their native land and planted them in a country flowing with all the necessaries and comforts of life; who has covered our infancy with His providence and our riper years with His wisdom and power, and to whose goodness I ask you to join in supplications with me that He will so enlighten the minds of your servants, guide their councils, and prosper their measures that whatsoever they do shall result in your good, and shall secure to you the peace, friendship, and approbation of all nations."

-----------------------------...

Below is a speech recorded by James Madison and purported to have been made by Benjamin Franklin at the Constitutional Convention on June 28, 1787:

"The small progress we have made after four or five weeks close attendance & continual reasonings with each other---our different sentiments on almost every question, several of the last producing as many noes as ays, is methinks a melancholy proof of the imperfection of the Human Understanding. We indeed seem to feel our own want of political wisdom, since we have been running about in search of it. We have gone back to ancient history for models of Government, and examined the different forms of those Republics which having been formed with the seeds of their own dissolution now no longer exist. And we have viewed Modern States all round Europe, but find none of their Constitutions suitable to our circumstances.

In this situation of this Assembly, groping as it were in the dark to find political truth, and scarce able to distinguish it when presented to us, how has it happened, Sir, that we have not hitherto once thought of humbly applying to the Father of lights to illuminate our understandings? In the beginning of the Contest with Great Britain, when we were sensible of danger we had daily prayer in this room for the divine protection. Our prayers, Sir, were heard, & they were graciously answered. All of us who were engaged in the struggle must have observed frequent instances of a superintending providence in our favor. To that kind providence we owe this happy opportunity of consulting in peace on the means of establishing our future national felicity. And have we now forgotten that powerful friend? Or do we imagine that we no longer need his assistance?

I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proof I see of this truth that God Governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid? We have been assured, Sir, in the sacred writings, that "except the Lord build the House they labour in vain that build it." I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without his concurring aid we shall succeed in this political building no better, than the Builders of Babel: We shall be divided by our little partial local interests; our projects will be confounded, and we ourselves shall become a reproach and bye word down to future ages. And what is worse, mankind may hereafter from this unfortunate instance, despair of establishing Governments by Human wisdom and leave it to chance, war and conquest.

I therefore beg leave to move-that henceforth prayers imploring the assistance of Heaven, and its blessings on our deliberations, be held in this Assembly every morning before we proceed to business, and that one or more of the Clergy of this City be requested to officiate in that Service."
  • Bastion Nobody 2010/09/13 21:39:56
    Bastion
    +1
    We are a secular nation, based on religious freedom, with a Christian majority. Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, and American Indian prayers have been used to open Congress.
  • Nobody Bastion 2010/09/13 21:48:27
    Nobody
    +2
    No mention of the states preambles? God is mentioned in every one of them. What about the congressional Holy Bibles...you don't have anything to say about that either?

You do seem bent on hating religion for some reason...but that is your right to do that.
  • Bastion Nobody 2010/09/14 13:02:08 (edited)
    Bastion
    +1
    The states have the freedom to do what they want - as long as it doesn't interfere with the Bill of Rights and the rest of the Constitution. I'm sure there are Korans, and Hindu and buddhists texts available in Congress, as well.

What I'm "bent" on is two things - supporting unfettered religious freedom for everyone, and spreading the good news that there is no God.

The people I hate are those who would deny others their religious freedom. Don't you hate them too? People who deny others their religious freedom are at best un-American, and at worst fascists.
  • Nobody Bastion 2010/09/14 22:00:07
    Nobody
    +1
    That is so funny...you claim to be pushing for the freedom of religion and at the same time try to end religion by speading your so called "good news".

So what happened in your life that makes you think that it is your duty to try and crush the faith of those that choose to believe...did your mom make you go to Church against your will as a child?

I don't hate anyone...that doesn't mean that I like them...I just don't hate them.
  • Bastion Nobody 2010/09/15 00:49:40 (edited)
    Bastion
    +1
    I have every bit the same right to talk about AND promote the philosophical position I think is TRUE as you do - trying to DENY me that right is close to fascism, pal - you want YOUR religious freedom; Christians get all bent out of shape when anyone tries to simply AVOID them, and you have the UTTER GALL to question my belief in freedom of religion, just because I feel I have some truth to tell - well SCREW YOU.

DAMN you self-righteous people piss me off. DAMN.
  • Nobody Bastion 2010/09/15 03:17:49
    Nobody
    +1
    Where did I say you didn't have the right to be the religion hating person that you are? You have the right to let out all of your pent up anger towards religion...I was just wondering where it all stems from? Would you like to expand on this...it might do you some good to talk about it and get it off your chest?

Speaking of self-righteous...you seem to thing that being a self-righteous person is a religious term, when you are one of the most self-righteous people on SH.
  • Bastion Nobody 2010/09/15 03:30:58
    Bastion
    +1
    Yeah, but I can back it up.

My anger is not "pent up" - I let it out. It's directed at false prophets and fascists. I have no problem with religious folks who respect everyone's right to religious freedom.

I am particularly disgusted by that combination of arrogance and ignorance displayed by those who demand religious freedom for themselves, but demand the right to deny it to everyone who disagrees with them.

And I'm a happy and secure guy - I love to teach willing listeners the great peace and joy that comes from the good news that there is NO GOD, and their lives are free to enjoy, and goodness and morality is their very own, to reason out and take pride in.

Unwillingly listeners can go and believe any fairy tale they wish, and if it works for them, swell. Leave me out. Thanks.
  • Nobody Bastion 2010/09/15 03:38:43
    Nobody
    So why are you so bent on telling everyone about how they are not doing the right thing in believing in God? You have an issue with this that you are not telling...why?

"My anger is not "pent up" - I let it out. It's directed at false prophets"...is there such a thing as a prophet that isn't false...and if there is, what is your position towards them? At least you admit that you have an anger issue....we are making progress!
  • Bastion Nobody 2010/09/15 10:20:56
    Bastion
    +1
    I'm NOT "bent on telling everyone about how they are not doing the right thing in believing in God" - I AM happy to explain to anyone interested that there is a positive way to understand that there is no God. It is not an "issue", it is an application of reason.

It depends on how you define "prophet".

And "we" are not "making progress" - You are talking down to me with a supercilious arrogance and I'm trying to get you to understand that I don't buy your nonsense.
  • the Peo... Bastion 2011/08/08 18:39:20
    the People's voice
    +2
    To imply the statement, "false prophets" is to imply that there are "true prophets." If "morality is [our] very own," then what validates what a "true prophet" says?
  • Bastion the Peo... 2011/08/08 18:53:43
    Bastion
    You're right.
    I'm going to change that to "Casting Out Prophets".

ALL "prophets" are false and should be driven off.

Thanks.
  • mac -Ho... Bastion 2010/09/14 12:01:23
    mac -Holding Fast
    Funny for a secular nation to use all those different prayers... Why no "moment of silence"?
  • Bastion mac -Ho... 2010/09/14 13:05:11
    Bastion
    +1
    There probably is incidents of "a moment of silence" - not "funny" at all - we are a secular country with a diverse population.
  • mac -Ho... Bastion 2010/09/14 13:56:49
    mac -Holding Fast
    We have a very diverse population. To pretend that means we do not derive our Constitution and the government founded therein from a Higher Power is ludicrous.

We have a government that acknowledges its secular existence. To say beyond that is to imply things contrary to observable fact.
  • Bastion mac -Ho... 2010/09/14 14:19:09
    Bastion
    +1
    It's not "ludicrous" - it's the truth. We "derive our Constitution and the government founded therein" from the founders. Humans. Period.

"observable fact" does NOT include an invisible man in the sky. Sorry.
  • mac -Ho... Bastion 2010/09/14 14:22:45
    mac -Holding Fast
    +1
    My freedoms do not come from any man. Not George Washington, not Benjamin Franklin. None of them. And you know what? That's exactly what they declared to the world!

And please, allow me to clarify further-

When I say "To say beyond that" it means when you add something to that statement, it is contrary to the statement. I said nothing of an invisible man in the sky. That would be "saying beyond that".

My words are chosen carefully. Try reading them with that in mind.
  • Bastion mac -Ho... 2010/09/14 14:32:34
    Bastion
    +1
    Your freedoms come from no one. They are RECOGNIZED by our mutual adherence to the Constitution, as written by the founders.
  • mac -Ho... Bastion 2010/09/14 22:49:17
    mac -Holding Fast
    "When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

Exactly what they declared to the world.
  • Bastion mac -Ho... 2010/09/15 00:59:32
    Bastion
    +1
    They were the products of a universal indoctrination in religion of their time - at the same time, they created a system that would allow for total religious freedom for every individual.

I thank them every day.
  • mac -Ho... Bastion 2010/09/15 01:40:00
    mac -Holding Fast
    "at the same time, they created a system that would allow for total religious freedom for every individual."

Which does nothing to prove your alleged point that we were founded as a secular nation. Our Founding Fathers made a system that they understood was both for secular purposes and of Divine Origins.

Just because they were wise in their efforts does not make the system any less a miracle.
  • Bastion mac -Ho... 2010/09/15 02:24:08
    Bastion
    +1
    Yes it does. It was not a "miracle". It was a brilliant, inspired success by great, learned men.

There was no "divine origin". It was a high point of human action. My point is not "alleged". It's the simple truth. We were founded as a secular nation by humans with varying degrees of spiritual and religious beliefs, who saw immense wisdom in taking government OUT of the hands of ANY church or belief system, and trying to free the human mind to find it's own, individual way.

We will NEVER, EVER be a Christian nation. We are a nation of EVERYBODY. I will be willing to GIVE MY LIFE to protect that.
  • mac -Ho... Bastion 2010/09/15 03:03:51
    mac -Holding Fast

Remember what I said earlier about inferring more into my words than what I put?

Also- you say you're willing to give your life to protect it. Are you indeed aware that you are talking to a current member of the armed forces?
  • Bastion mac -Ho... 2010/09/15 03:11:29
    Bastion
    +1
    Why should I give a crap that you are a member of the armed forces? Good for you, and thank you for your service. I owe you for that.

But it has nothing to do with what we are talking about.
    You don't have a special pass to be right because you are a member of the armed forces.

We are a secular nation. Period.
  • mac -Ho... Bastion 2010/09/15 03:47:39
    mac -Holding Fast
    "I will be willing to GIVE MY LIFE to protect that."

I mentioned my armed services merely for this fact.

You have a bad habit of reading more into a man's statements than what they say. I hope you have better luck with that in the future.

And our government is secular in its existence. The Founding Fathers knew this. It holds no supremacy over God's Law. They knew this as well.

What you are missing (on purpose?) is that there is more to this country than saying we are secular.

The Founding Fathers acknowledged our only source of liberty as being that given to us by Nature's God. They delved no further into the matter (exceptions allowed for the blatant usage of Christian dating practices), making it purely deist. All religions are by definition "deist" as they find a higher power to be either the origin or destination of all things.

Yes, the institutions formed by Man are secular. This is the nature of secular existence. But the right to make those institutions even the Founding Fathers recognized as coming from above them. They felt they held no authority over Man- that the documents they wrote were nothing more than an affirmation of their own God given rights.
  • Bastion mac -Ho... 2010/09/15 10:26:21
    Bastion
    +1
    Buddhists, for one, are not "deists".

As I said before, the FF were products of their time; but they created a system that allowed for intellectual growth out of myth and superstition, without interference by humans religious "authority".

There are no "God given rights", and there is no God.
  • mac -Ho... Bastion 2010/09/15 12:35:15
    mac -Holding Fast
    "There are no 'God given rights'"

Tell that to the Declaration of Independence.
  • Bastion mac -Ho... 2010/09/15 12:53:03
    Bastion
    +1
    The Declaration is a statement of separation from Britain at a time when any personal thoughts about questioning western religious dogma were kept to oneself - look what happened to Thomas Paine when he questioned Christian doctrine in his greatest work - The Age Of Reason - he was treated like a criminal.
  • mac -Ho... Bastion 2010/09/15 15:19:44
    mac -Holding Fast
    Yes, the Declaration is a statement of separation. And the authority they claim to make that statement would be....
  • Bastion mac -Ho... 2010/09/15 15:28:32
    Bastion
    +1
    . . . self-evident.
  • mac -Ho... Bastion 2010/09/15 15:30:44
    mac -Holding Fast
    "...self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Finish the quote if you're going to finish it.
  • Bastion mac -Ho... 2010/09/15 15:37:14
    Bastion
    +1
    That was the commonly accepted, simplest public belief at the time. So was witchcraft.

Thank "goodness" (notice the common useage) the FF had the forsight to create a system that allowed for intellectual evolution, without the interference of primitive beliefs.
  • mac -Ho... Bastion 2010/09/15 15:43:40
    mac -Holding Fast
    The entire system is based upon the premise that Nature's God has deemed us all equal in status as humans!
  • Bastion mac -Ho... 2010/09/15 15:47:08
    Bastion
    +1
    No, it's based on the premise that the equality is self-evident to the educated. The reference to "Nature's God" was a product of the time. We can go round and round on this forever, if you wish.

Read Thomas Paine's The Age of Reason - that'll help.
  • mac -Ho... Bastion 2010/09/15 15:52:45
    mac -Holding Fast
    I've read Paine. You are aware that many points of view were the product of the Age of Enlightenment, right? You say it was a product of the time. I say without that line of reasoning, they never would have said what they did when they said it.
  • Bastion mac -Ho... 2010/09/15 17:06:07
  • mac -Ho... Bastion 2010/09/15 12:42:26 (edited)
    mac -Holding Fast
    Also-

Last I checked, you could believe in a god and be buddhist. It's a philosophical teaching, not a religion. It does not refute God or gods.

Likewise-

"Religion is the belief in and worship of a god or gods, or a set of beliefs concerning the origin and purpose of the universe"

Random House Dictionary.
  • Bastion mac -Ho... 2010/09/15 12:55:03
    Bastion
    +1
    "a set of beliefs concerning the origin and purpose of the universe" can have nothing to do with gods.

Zen Buddhism has nothing whatsoever to say about God or gods.
  • mac -Ho... Bastion 2010/09/15 15:22:28
    mac -Holding Fast
    Dharmakaya, anyone?

2014/09/16 17:19:53