How many people did the Roman Empire Crucify like Jesus?

bob 2011/08/12 16:13:37
xxx people were crucified in the same manner as Jesus
Only Jesus was crusified in that manner
Jesus stories and other myths were collected, edited and made into the Gospels in order to save the Roman Empire from it's unhappy citizens
To Rome Crucifictions was the equilivant to long term jail is to us
I think

• TheTailor 2011/08/12 17:34:17
    TheTailor
    +2
    Umm, a lot! 10's of 1000's? 100's of 1000's? If they didn't have wood they tied or nailed people to trees, or anything else handy. There were no long term jail terms, and crucifixion was the equivalent of our current death penalty.
  • Matilda Walton 2011/08/12 17:28:44
    Matilda Walton
    ALL THE GLORY TO GOD! HONOR AND PRAISE TO KING JESUS CHRIST!

IN THE "SCRIPTURE ACCOUNTS" THAT ARE WRITTEN IN THE HOLY BIBLE, THERE WERE "THREE PEOPLE, SENTENCED TO IMPALEMENT UPON THE CROSS, BESIDES JESUS CHRIST". THERE WAS A "CRIMINAL NAME BARABBAS, AND TWO OTHER MEN, ON DEATH ROW"( MATTHEW 27:15-26) JESUS CHRIST TOOK "BARABBAS'S PLACE"; AND THE "TWO ROBBERS' LIVES WERE NOT SPARED, THEY DIED ALONGSIDE OF JESUS"( MATTHEW 27:44; LUKE 23:39-49). GLORY!!
  • socokid 2011/08/12 17:25:08
    socokid
    Too many.
  • psychophelie 2011/08/12 17:16:28
    psychophelie
    +1
    I am Spartacus....
  • GINGERBREAD 2011/08/12 17:10:37
    GINGERBREAD
    Unfortunately the Romans crucified a whole lot of people. Maybe thousands, amybe hundreds of thousands, no one really know the exact number. But, so what? All we really know is tha Christ was crucified and to some people(about 11/2 billion people believe) that after three days he rose from the dead.
  • Mandy 2011/08/12 17:06:49
    I think
    Mandy
    +5
    Many, many, many people. Jesus' death really wasn't that special.
  • Poet003 Mandy 2011/08/12 18:23:56
    Poet003
    Yes, but Christ died to ransom us from death and leave us with a perfect role model. He didnt suffer
    as much as some but he suffered some. We complete whats lacking in his sufferings.
  • Mandy Poet003 2011/08/12 19:31:14
    Mandy
    +3
    Apparently Christianity is your mythology of choice.
  • Jennifer Mandy 2013/04/02 00:35:36
    Jennifer
    +2
    All you sad souls who dont beleive Jesus is our savior, I truly fell sorry for you!
  • Mark In... Mandy 2011/08/12 22:05:10 (edited)
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    i'd bet it was pretty important to him!

maybe what you mean is that the manner in which JC was crucified was not all that uncommon at the time
  • Mandy Mark In... 2011/08/13 01:21:23
    Mandy
    +1
    I didn't say it wasn't important. I said it wasn't special, so yeah, since special and uncommon can be found together in the thesaurus, that's pretty much what I meant.
  • Jennifer Mandy 2013/04/02 00:34:24
    Jennifer
    +1
    Yeah, except that Jesus was God's son and his sacrifice saved us from sin and death! But thats just a tiny thing isnt is Mandy? DUH!
  • Mandy Jennifer 2013/04/02 13:42:17
    Mandy
    If that's what you want to believe, I can see why you'd think it's a big deal. Any god who can't solve a problem without resorting to torture and human sacrifice is NOT the one for me.
  • Jennifer Mandy 2013/05/01 13:21:22
    Jennifer
    Well, hes God so Im sure he can solve a problem anyway he wants, but he has his reasons for everything he does and who are we to question them? Jesus knew what he came here to do long before God sent him to do it and he was in full compliance with it. he couldve refused but didnt. Obviously he realized it was necessary since he was willing to endure the torture he went through. Maybe God did it the way he did it hoping that people would appreicate it more. Either way who are we to question God?
  • Mandy Jennifer 2013/05/01 18:17:34
    Mandy
    We're the only ones who CAN question things. How would you ever know if what you believe in is true if you never question it? Personally, I find myself more moral than the god you believe in. I'm guessing you are too, as I doubt you would subject your child to torture for any reason.
  • VT 2011/08/12 16:56:16
    VT
    +1
    Wow that is a tough question and a good one. I would imagine that in that day there where several men and possibly women that had become political trouble for the Roman Machine, much like Jesus, and history seems to suggest that they had a means and methods for dealing with people that rose against the program and therefore, I would guess several thousands of not significantly higher numbers of people lost thier lives in such a manner.
  • rand 2011/08/12 16:56:12
    I think
    rand
    +1
    The treatment of the early Christians during that era owes more to their political arrangements and to Nero than to the people.
  • GINGERB... rand 2011/08/12 20:30:40
    GINGERBREAD
    +2
    According to history, in order to get on the wrong side of Nero, was to be around him. If you said something that pissed him off you were dead. Didn't matter whether you were a christian or whatever. Let's face it, Nero was crazier than hell.
  • rand GINGERB... 2011/08/12 22:56:29
    rand
    And still there were worst, like Caligula. Am happy to be a U.S. Christian citizen.
  • COMALite J rand 2011/08/13 04:14:56 (edited)
    COMALite J
    +1
    There is evidence that what drove both Nero and Caligula insane and evil was chronic lead poisoning from the Roman aqueducts. How ironic if true! Their greatest technological achievement, running water / plumbing, helped bring down the Roman empire from within!

It’s true that the symptoms of chronic lead poisoning include brain dysfunctions that result in not only lowered intellect, but also heightened aggressiveness, lessened conscience, a more violent temper, etc. — just like Nero and Caligula, et. al.
  • rand COMALite J 2011/08/13 15:14:17
    rand
    +1
    I'd also suggest that lead in the wine goblets and storage containers contributed to the problem as did their upbringings. THX for the discourse.
  • COMALite J rand 2011/08/14 00:28:45
    COMALite J
    +1
    Especially considering that acidic wine would leach more of the lead than mere water would. The alcohol would “help” there, too.

After seeing the shameful behavior of our Congress recently (both Parties) during the debt crisis “negotiations,” not to mention the general public as seen on message boards such as this one (LWNJs and RWNJs alike), I wonder if we’re seeing a similar effect from decades of exposure to methylmercury (far more neurotoxic than elemental mercury, which in turn is far more neurotoxic than lead) in fish, elemental mercury in amalgam tooth fillings (in our teeth, which are in our heads!), etc. Especially in the South, some homes still have lead plumbing, and how many of today’s Southern Congressmen (and Presidents) were raised in such homes? Some may even have still had lead paint!

There is evidence that what we call “early onset Alzheimer’s” is actually either methymercury or other chronic mercury poisoning, and/or a relatively “mild” form of variant Cruetzfeld-Jacob Disease (vCJD) such as is brought on by eating Mad Cow-tainted meat.
  • rand COMALite J 2011/08/14 01:58:46
    rand
    It's a legitimate question given Reagan's labored response to the Iran Contra Affair in the earlier stages of his Alzheimer's disease. Still, our health today is far superior to what they experienced then if for no other reason than the management of public health services.
  • Emanon 2011/08/12 16:55:43
    Emanon
    ... was a common thing for the Romans to Crucify people....
  • Viper Two Six 2011/08/12 16:54:51
    Viper Two Six
    I don't think anyone knows the accurate number but I'd say in the thousands, not only did they crucify on a cross but they put untold numbers in with the lions.
  • Cunningmungus 2011/08/12 16:52:24 (edited)
    Cunningmungus
    +2
    The streets leading to Rome where lined with the uprising slaves of Spartacus's Revolt.
    I think Constantine Outlawed the Practice after he converted to Christianity and got his hands on the Faith. revolt constantine outlawed practice afet converted christianity hands faith Spartacus slave revolt crucified
  • VT Cunning... 2011/08/12 16:58:22
    VT
    +2
    I wonder and sort of serious about this. Did "My way or the Highway" come from Romans lining the Roads with crosses and people nailed to them?
  • Cunning... VT 2011/08/12 17:02:57
    Cunningmungus
    +2
    HMM Good thought. I always thought it just meant "Hit the road".
    People always throw around those adages without knowing what the hell they are talking about.
    The worst is "the proof is in the pudding"
    It has nothing to do with evidence.
    Pudding in old english terms is a baked product Like "Yorkshire pudding" and proofing is a baking term for activating the yeast..
    The phrase had something to do with a job being complete.
  • Chokmah Cunning... 2011/08/12 18:15:12
    Chokmah
    This picture is proof postive ot the Roman crucifixtions. I knew some evidence existed!
  • Cunning... Chokmah 2011/08/12 18:20:03
    Cunningmungus
    Yeah Tony Curtis is REALLY Old!!
  • Birthpangs 2011/08/12 16:48:41
  • Justin.Long 2011/08/12 16:48:22 (edited)
    I think
    Justin.Long
    +2
    Many were crucified but only one rose three days later lol see it's wasn't just the crisifixation that brought about our salavation but his resurrection, the roman used this as their main form of execution even before Jesus but here's a interesting question how did most people die after be crucified..... Asphyxiation yep lack of air to the lung the wounds inflicted were usually not too life threatening so the suffering was prolonged some time for days when they were hanging most of their weight pushed against their chest making it hard to breath so they would have to push themselves upward (with feet that are nailed together mind you) and take deeper breaths eventually you tire and asphyxiate
  • 8mariedawn6 2011/08/12 16:44:21
    I think
    8mariedawn6
    +3
    Crucifixion has been used by several civilizations as a form of capital punishment. An exact number is hard to give based on the historical records. The Romans killed at least 10,000 in this way and probably many thousands more. It was used on enemies of the state as a humiliation.
  • KSolove 2011/08/12 16:43:57
    KSolove
    +1
    It was used way before Jesus and it was never recorded, so the death toll is unknown, but I am guessing A LOT!
  • 2226693 2011/08/12 16:42:50
  • Justin.... 2226693 2011/08/12 16:51:23
    Justin.Long
    Wel they say he died it may have been because he died of a broken heart aka his heart exploded which could mean the reason why it said his blood flowed like water but hey that just what i heard believe what you want lol
  • Turings... 2226693 2011/08/12 18:24:17
    TuringsChild
    I think it unlikely that Jesus could have survived more than a few hours on the cross, but mainly because of the beating he took just prior to that. Just the whipping was known to be able to kill a man. 40 strikes could kill. That's why they kept it to 39. But you know that last strike couldn't have made too much of a difference. He was near death when they took Him to the Cross.
  • bricklyn 2226693 2011/08/13 07:33:13
    bricklyn
    If you want to get technical, there are no historical records of the death of Jesus in Roman history.
  • 2226693 bricklyn 2011/08/13 22:18:54
    +2
    that was the death penalty at that time..St.Peter was put upside down as he said he was not worthy to do same as Jesus

2014/07/22 23:08:01