How important was McCain's house gaffe?

chamay0 2008/08/24 20:17:11

• Robert 2008/08/25 18:00:34
    Robert
    +7
    It is important because it creates opportunities to expose obama for the hypocrit that he is...and it exposes the Democrats for their attempts at class warfare.

• tmr 2008/09/24 17:39:30
    It will be forgotten by November
    tmr
    However, how important is it for Obama to say he ahs visited all 57 states. Now that is a major problem.
  • barkbark-247 2008/08/31 01:51:52
    No one cares
    barkbark-247
    Who cares
  • ! 2008/08/28 02:18:42
    !
    I really think Obama saying there was 57 states in the U.S. was more damaging.
    I think also that the reason the Dems brought it up was due to jealousy.

RWD
  • john conner 2008/08/27 10:20:31
    No one cares
    john conner
    Lets talk issues people!
  • Jeff S * john co... 2008/08/28 06:58:20 (edited)
    Jeff S *
    This is an issue. Actually, it's several issues. One, the fact that the McCains stiffed the taxpayers by not paying property tax on one of their LaJolla, California condos. Two, the fact that John McCain can't remember how many houses he has doesn't bode well for the American public. After all, he has been very dotty on the campaign trail, confusing Iraq with Iran, and coming up with all sorts of georgaphical regions that don't exist. Three, John McCain, a rich prep school kid who's now worth over $100 million, can hardly call Sen. Obama, a self-made man, "elitist" with a straight face.
    Four, it reinforces the fact that McCain is just out of touch. He doesn't know the price of a gallon of gasoline, he doesn't know what kind of car he drives, and he doesn't know how many houses he has. Five, after the McCain blunders like the reveal that Cindy spends $750,000 a month on clothes and shoes, you would think the McCain campaign would get their house in order. So, sure, I agree with you! Let's talk issues!
  • john co... Jeff S * 2008/08/29 11:23:24
    john conner
    you are streaching things here Jeff. streaching jeff
  • Don Jr "In God We Trust" 2008/08/26 13:39:18
    No one cares
    Don Jr "In God We Trust"
    +1
    It is laughable the democratic party latches onto this and tries to make a big issue of it. Obama looked like a comic at a second rate nightclub trying to get a laugh out of the crowd.
  • deano 2008/08/26 00:39:26
    No one cares
    deano
    +2
    Its some more of stupidity on the democratic and news media.
  • Roberto-Pro-America-Anti Obama 2008/08/26 00:26:35
    No one cares
    Roberto-Pro-America-Anti Obama
    +3
    The houses are his wife's business, his business is governance!
  • Janet 2008/08/26 00:21:34
    No one cares
    Janet
    +3
    I want the president of the United States to be successful. I hope that he doesn't have to worry or be concerned about his properties. He will have the country to be concerned with.
  • John 2008/08/25 23:46:30
  • Jamie (goofygirl) 2008/08/25 21:38:12
    No one cares
    Jamie (goofygirl)
    +6
    Including me.
  • RichD 2008/08/25 21:36:31
    No one cares
    RichD
    +3
    Depending on the pre-nup, he could own none. Most of the houses are owned by trusts. Ask Kennedy and Kerry the same question.
  • Ken "Don't tread on me!" 2008/08/25 19:23:18
    No one cares
    Ken "Don't tread on me!"
    +4
    In the first place, it wasn't a gaffe, it was an honest answer! I'm sure McCain could have said four, which is the number of residences they actually reside in, a house in Sedona, AZ, and condos is Coronado, CA, Phoenix, AZ and in the D.C. Metro area.

If he had said that, though, the Democrats would claim he was lying, because Cindy McCain owns a number of other homes, in her name and their children's names, through trusts. Cindy McCain apparently also owns a home in which an elderly aunt lives. It would have take a lengthy explanation to an inane question, and McCain said the right thing!
  • Sam 2008/08/25 19:04:28
    No one cares
    Sam
    +4
    It is about as important as knowing how much Ted Kennedy, John Kerry or Al Gore are worth.
  • Foo Master Angie 2008/08/25 18:57:51
    No one cares
    Foo Master Angie
    +4
    At least no one should care.
    I think his answer was a nice way of telling the guy to STFU
  • CampDavid †DEO VALENTI † 2008/08/25 18:13:16
    No one cares
    CampDavid †DEO VALENTI †
    +4
    More people care about issues like integrity, honesty, love of Country, love of newborn babies, racism, and those who a candidate associates with. All topics which hands down McCain shines on when compared to "O". Who cares how many homes or why McCain has. If I was succesful enough, I would own homes for each & all of my family members. This is a 'non-issue' when it comes to politics. It is not a "gaffe", he answered honestly.
  • KellyDew~YES WE CAN 2008/08/25 18:02:01
    No one cares
    KellyDew~YES WE CAN
    +3
    You have to be successful to do what he has done in life (a rich wife doesnt hurt) and with success comes $$ typically. Who gives a rats ass how many houses the man has or if HE even knows. Can he be the President? That is what it is about. Can he lead this country?
  • Robert 2008/08/25 18:00:34
    Robert
    +7
  • gone Robert 2008/08/25 18:14:19
  • spunkysmum ~ Tall In the S... 2008/08/25 17:44:21
    No one cares
    spunkysmum ~  Tall In the Saddle, White Hat on Straight ~
    +7
    About as important as him not knowing hte exact number of sticks of gum he's chewed in the last 335 days.

It makes whoever even brought it up look absolutely moronic for making anything of it at all.
  • Narcole... spunkys... 2008/08/25 21:19:59
    NarcolepticGoat
    So, to you houses are as cheap and forgettable as chewing gum?

Damn, must be nice. I'm not sure what country you live in but for a tiny portion of the American public, even owning one home is a great achievement. Have you heard of them? They are Working Class Americans. Get to know one someday.
  • spunkys... Narcole... 2008/09/08 18:07:44
    I hate to admit it, but you may have a point.

Maybe I don't spend enough time around working class Americans.

After all, I don't even know the first names of the road workers whose greasy grimy motel linens I scrub into the wee hours of each morning to work off some of my rent, many of whom are Mexicans. I may have let cleaning up after people who are doing "jobs Americans won't do" go to my head and make me feel like some kind of royalty.

It's been a whole month since I was laid off from my factory job, so I don't see much of those folks anymore.

I only see my boyfriend two or three times a week lately, because he's often busy between working at a hog lot by day and caring for his herd of cattle at home in his "off-hours."

And I really only see my dad on weekends, between his shifts at Burger King.

You may be right. I may well be getting out of touch with working people.

Something to think about I guess.
  • Narcole... spunkys... 2008/09/08 23:13:30
    NarcolepticGoat
    and still you say houses are as unimportant as gum.
  • spunkys... Narcole... 2008/09/09 22:40:08 (edited)
    I say a person of means not knowing the exact number of properties they own is unimportant. Who frigging cares? They earned them and are welcome to them.

The thing that does infuriate me is the condescension and insult of the very fact that Obama and his surrogates are trying to make a case of it.

Do they think I care? Do they think I'm some bitter, ignorant whiner who sits around grousing because other people have more worldly goods than I do? Do they really think I'm so stupid that I'm going to say, "You're right! That sucks! Why should they be allowed to have that many houses! I'm not going to vote for that guy!"

I scrub towels and linens because it frees up more of my income for other things. I use the time to listen to audio books and motivational tapes to broaden my mind and learn about how successful people become that way. Interestingly, bitching about rich people and wanting them punished for their success has never come up as a strategy to become successful oneself.

Also, the relatively mindless repetitive manual work of it often serves to bring out some of my best creative thinking and ideas for the future.

It's hard to believe that it's been a month since I was laid off. It seemed then and still does that it was the best thing that could possibly have happened to ...

'

'''""

It's hard to believe that it's been a month since I was laid off. It seemed then and still does that it was the best thing that could possibly have happened to me, because it freed me up to pursue bigger, better things.

My boyfriend is working a full-time job along with his farm chores with a view towards earning enough money to run his own operation. I suppose some day if he can't remember off the top of his head exactly how many head of cattle he owns, some bozo will call him an out-of-touch elitist.

I have gotten a number of nice things dirt cheap lately by bargain-hunting.

If I can't remember how many name-brand dresses or purses or pairs of shoes or how many discount candles I have bought lately, I don't want to hear from a peanut gallery of people who haven't been as "lucky" because they neither take the time or have the ambition to hunt bargains themselves.
  • Jeff S * 2008/08/24 23:35:56
    This is a major problem
    Jeff S *
    In these trying economic times, it doesn't bode well for a candidate to be so unconcerned with the types of problems that affect average American families! Add Cindy McCain's $750,000 monthly charge card bill and you have a serious problem!
  • Ayla 2008/08/24 22:18:11 (edited)
    No one cares
    Ayla
    +5
    No one cares! Ask Donald Trump how many houses he owns. Or any millionaire. He does not know because they are purchased as investment property and he has people who manage the mundane everyday finances so he can concentrate on goverment job. It is not because his memory is failing.

At least McCain did not make a deal to buy a mansion at below appraisal from his convicted felon buddy Rezko and get the felon’s wife to purchase the lot next door for him.

Obama do not throw stones if you live in a glass house.
  • jackie 2008/08/24 20:36:38
    This is a major problem
    jackie
    Too old to remember important facts!
  • Wilson 2008/08/24 20:34:40
    Wilson
    +3
    It's nothing, just picking at Mac. With her money, why only 9 houses? (9...8?)
    If you want a story ask why two brilliant lawyers managed such a shady deal on purchasing their mansion in Hyde Park.
  • Jeff S * Wilson 2008/08/24 23:39:05
    Jeff S *
    For the truth go to snopes.com or factcheck.org. (both NON partisan)
    There's nothing shady -- unlike the McCain's many problems with adultery, special favors to Charles Keating, accepting money to grant favors, etc. Talk about shady!!
  • gone Jeff S * 2008/08/25 18:10:26
    This is a major problem
    +1
    anything they may cause people to worry about his memory and think about his age will be a huge problem come november

2014/12/21 12:10:12