How has America caused Illegal immigration?

Beccy 2010/06/02 01:31:15
Immigration: Slightly Different Take

By Fred Reed

June 01, 2010 "Lew Rockwell" -- A few thoughts, that will probably get me lynched, on the immigration of Mexicans:

Immigration is not something Mexico did to the United States, but something the United States did to itself. Decades ago it changed its laws to favor Latin immigrants, gives immigrant children born in the US citizenship, avidly employs the illegals, forbids police to check their papers, give them social services and schooling, establishes “sanctuary cities,” and in general does everything but send them engraved invitations. And then expresses surprise when they come.

We hear endlessly that Mexicans are “taking the jobs of Americans.” Not quite. Reflect that every time a Mexican gets a job, it is because a shiny white noisily patriotic American businessman gives him that job.

I could take you to whole restaurants in the metropolitan area of Washington, DC, where if I yelled, “Migra!,” the entire staff would disappear out the back door. The owners know perfectly well who they are hiring. Mexicans are easily recognized. They are brown and speak Spanish. Businessmen do not hire them despite their being illegals, but because they are illegals, and therefore cheap.

I always find amusing the claims of love of country and civic responsibility that emanate from businessmen. These frauds will, and do, send American jobs to China, to make a buck. They will, and do, hire Indian programmers to replace more expensive American programmers. They will, and do, sweat children in Indonesian factories to make a buck. And they will hire illegals. If they didn’t, there would be no illegals. They come to work. No work, no come.

’Nuther topic: I suspect that not one American in twenty has even heard of the Mexican-American War, and maybe one in a couple of hundred can distinguish between the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo and, say, the Treaty of Westphalia. Mexicans know that in that war the US simply grabbed half their country, to include little places like, you know, California. The attitude of Americans, if they were told of this war, predictably would be, “Oh. Well, that was some other time, whenever. Tell them to like, get over it.” But Mexicans are not over it. Countless towns and cities have a Calle or Avenida Ninos Heroes commemorating the children who marched out, like the cadets of VMI in another example of Washington’s aggression, to try to stop the oncoming federals.

Don’t expect a lot of sympathy when Mexicans move back into what they regard as theirs in the first place.

Speaking of getting over it, the US will sooner or later will have to entertain the idea of getting over Latin immigration. Allowing the immigration in the first place was a terrible idea, since diversity regularly proves disastrous, but now there is precious little to be done about it. Nativist fantasies notwithstanding, the US is not going to round up thirteen (give or take) million people at gunpoint and force them across the border. If it doesn’t do this, few illegals will leave.

I encounter all manner of fury from conservatives at the idea of granting amnesty to the illegals. Rounding them up is the very thing, they figure. How do you round up thirteen million people who don’t want to be rounded up?

Perhaps at three a.m. you put a lightning cordon of Marines around a ten-block region and then go house to house, kicking in doors and dragging screaming people out. These you would throw into sealed eighteen-wheelers, drive them to the nearest border, and perhaps literally kick them across. Most of the children would be American citizens, but not Mexican. The idea of deporting a couple of million US citizens to a foreign country is fascinating.

Note that large and growing numbers of Hispanics are American citizens. (“Hispanics” are people who speak Spanish, which growing numbers of these folk don’t, but never mind.) In several states Latinos are a majority. Their children rise through the schools toward voting age. Politicians being politicians, legislatures in these states will find it difficult to deport a group when over half the voting population is of that group. That leaves the feds, who do not seem energized by the matter. Short of a Nazi-style war of extermination or forced depuration, America is going to have a very sizable population of Latino origin.

Adding to the complexity is that the country is far from united in wanting mass deportation. As I understand it, some two-thirds of the US wants illegal immigration ended, which means sealing the border. But this is a very different thing from massive expulsion of those already in the country. Laws of the sort recently passed in Arizona may have some effect, but, again, most will remain.

While few will care, it is of perhaps minor interest that after ’48 (the year of both Westphalia and Guadalupe-Hidalgo) a large number of Mexicans, and thus their descendants, became American citizens. These people have been Americans longer than, say, anyone whose ancestors arrived in the great immigrant waves around 1900.

Now, a reasonable question might be, “OK, Fred, what would you do?” If I had the power, I would seal the border to stop the influx, declare blanket amnesty for those already in the country, and get on with life. Part of “getting on” would be to encourage assimilation since the last thing the US needs is another indigestible and permanent underclass.

Note (as I have never seen noted) that keeping them illegal forces them into something close to an underclass. If Pablo wants to start a restaurant or auto-bodywork business, he can’t, because he will be asked for papers and eventually shut down.

The country seems to be trying to cause what it most doesn’t want. Some state or other wants to stop letting the children of illegals attend school. Oh, good. Let’s create a population of angry illiterates who can’t possibly be assimilated. What could be wiser?

The underlying problem is that no solution, or attempted solution, has enough support to get put into effect. Business wants the labor, politicians eye the vote, polls show young Americans as being much less worried about the whole question than their elders.

Conservatives – those, anyway, who are not profiting by immigration – talk of putting the military along the border, but support seems lacking. On Fox News I see people urging the characteristic American solution: high-tech this and that. Anyone with experience with dispersed guerrillas will see the prospects of success. A lot of liberals think immigration is heart-warming and all.

As is so commonly the case in semi-democracies, whatever might work is politically impossible, and whatever is politically possible won’t work.

What now, gang?

Well I don't agree with everything he says including the part that we should just allow them to stay. I thought this was a very good history of how we came to the place we are now at.

• Philo-Publius 2010/06/02 02:32:00
    Philo-Publius
    +5
    Boy, I'm going to need to distill and digest this, really take this in, but, this is a great post, with a lot of thought-provoking questions. It's certainly not your normal emotionally-charged blog about immigration ("They tek'r jebs!"). I'm impressed.

And, I love Mises to Peeces!
    normal emotionally-charged blog immigration tekr jebs impressed love mises peeces
  • KELLI2L Philo-P... 2010/06/02 12:53:30
    KELLI2L
    +2
    Yes, WE SodaHeads are un-usual for sure......
  • Beccy Philo-P... 2010/06/03 01:48:42
    +1
    Thank you. I wanted to share it with my friends because it is so thought provoking. It's not an easy problem to cure.
  • Niki 2010/06/02 02:28:10
    Niki
    +2
    Well, my ancestors date back to the 1600's in this country which includes Native Americans, so yes, I can say "Get Over It". Also,not all Mexicans are dark skin, some are light as well and are derivatives of Spain. However, the country is not as bad as other Latin countries like Cuba, or Venezula. There are American companies housed down there that provide jobs to Mexicans. Mexico & Mexicans have both profited off of America in many, many ways, so again, Get Over It. However, there are more than just Mexicans crossing the border. Al Qaida and others, are being trained by the cartels to speak Spanish and act like a Mexican. Other groups as well are being smothered over the border. If the Mexicans do not like the border control, they can blame themselves for taking advantage of a good thing and their corrupt policies. Stop just blaming Americans, there are more than one party in this game. Mexicans, along with others, are invited legally.
  • dick Niki 2010/06/02 17:19:11
    dick
    +1
    Without wanting to argue I had castilian spanish relatives back in the 1800s and we are mixed with Danish but mine came here legally what we have now are unwanted, uninvited guests that won't go home!
  • Charu ∞ijm♥∞ 2010/06/02 02:22:57
    Charu ∞ijm♥∞
    +6
    Thank you for sharing but they still gots to go and I hope every border state if not every state adopts an AZ law.
  • Beccy Charu ∞... 2010/06/03 01:50:58
    +1
    Your welcome. I totally agree with you. The illegals are the new slaves.
  • Charu ∞... Beccy 2010/06/03 02:05:55
    Charu ∞ijm♥∞
    +1
    or are we the slaves to the illegals? Think about it........ slaves illegals
  • Dale 2010/06/02 02:18:53
    Dale
    +5
    America has failed by not enforcing it's own laws. There are procedures and processes for immigration. If the law means anything, enforce it. If not, just give up and start speaking Spanish/Mexican.
  • Rodney 2010/06/02 02:11:16
    Rodney
    +3
    I think if one were to actually check the business' that are hiring the vast majority of illegals you may find they support a party other then the republican party. Many other illegals are hired by small companies just trying to compete. The unions have made it very hard to compete in the national market, especially now that we have a "Community Organizer" running things. The majority of Mexican nationals working for farmers that I know all have their green cards and are very decent folks. That being said, not a year goes by that at the end of harvest, you best lock everything up and set out armed guards to protect your property. There have been whole houses cleaned out in a matter of an hour and they are gone, half way back to where ever. They roll in in big harvest trucks and many spare hands. I was hit once, I had most things bolted to the floor in my shop or they would have had the high ticket equipment too. It has been a big problem in the rural area here for 8 to 10 years.
  • Huki68 2010/06/02 02:11:14
    Huki68
    +4
    So true, yet I believe the gov should give them visas
  • Kalayaa... Huki68 2010/06/02 03:36:40 (edited)
    Kalayaan 001
    +6
    Are you kidding me?

That's a slap on the face to legal immigrants like me, who asked permission to enter your land, payed all the required fees, filled-in all the paperwork, and honestly pays all the taxes demanded (some are even required to pay taxes to both your government and theirs at the same time for the same income) all the time.

Did we follow your sacrifice and follow your rules all for nothing?
  • Master Kalayaa... 2010/06/02 14:16:33
    Master
    +3
    ^ No one is better qualified to give an opinion than a legal immigrant who is against illegal immigration. :)
  • Kalayaa... Master 2010/06/02 17:58:51
    Kalayaan 001
    +1
    Thanks!
  • dick Kalayaa... 2010/06/02 17:21:39
    dick
    +1
    In answer to your question Yep you sure did if you try to do things the right way you will run into red tape and crooked politicians heck even Obie snuck his aunt into Baltimore and she is an illegal!
  • Kalayaa... dick 2010/06/02 18:01:43 (edited)
    Kalayaan 001
    +2
    Drat...

But, what can I expect when the President himself is (presumably) an illegal as well?
  • Beccy Kalayaa... 2010/06/03 01:53:34
    And got elected president. Pretty scary isn't it?
  • Kalayaa... Beccy 2010/06/03 06:24:10 (edited)
    Kalayaan 001
    +1
    Amazing what a few reverse-racist statements (concerning the 'urgency' of having a first Black President) and vague, positively-associated statements ("Hope" & "Yes, we can!") can do!
  • Beccy Kalayaa... 2010/06/03 22:26:31
    Pretty scarry isn't it?
  • Kalayaa... Beccy 2010/06/04 04:20:26 (edited)
    Kalayaan 001
    +1

But then again, if we werre only able to find a way of harnessing those who fell for it, we could have a mindless, zombie army at our command! :^D
  • Huki68 Kalayaa... 2010/06/02 19:14:37
    Huki68
    Can you tell me how many illegal’s are here and from which country? I don't think so, so if we give them visas, they will not have to cross the river, fly a pirate airplane, or boat...They will come from the front door, not the back or side door, we will know who enters, who is going out, employers will paid better salary because we will not have competion any longer or abuse anyone else. The economy will get better...as well the Gov should make their countries accountable for their people's action, like crime.. I am a legal citizens as well, yet I can see more than just 100 yards away... Peace
  • Kalayaa... Huki68 2010/06/02 19:29:24 (edited)
    Kalayaan 001
    +3
    And what is this?

Are you saying that, if the U.S. Government were to issue visas to illegals, the next wave of to-be-illegals will decide not to break the law and will decide to enter legally? How is this? If they see that breaking the law will give them the reward of legal status, even more will come! You give them even more incentives to follow their example.
  • Huki68 Kalayaa... 2010/06/02 19:44:30
    Huki68
    The gov are the # 1 breaking the law, # 1 of abusing their citizen, ask them, I am human being, I know how the economy is, how it works and how it should be. I have being thru that many times, I know what it takes to change things for better, if you do it smart, any of the gov did nothing smart, but for their own inconvenience. We can be here all they long disputing this issue, they are human beings and they have the right to eat, to live... I would have broken the law as well to fed my self and protect my family the same thing if I was in their position if I didn’t see any other way out. Would you? (I am not talking about the criminals, those should be send to their country and make their gov be accountable for their criminals and take action if they don’t follow the law as GOV) GOV of any country, are taking peoples freedom, controlling, that are the ones who are breaking the law, I hope you never have to go thru like they do, I believe in Karma, karma knows pain, one day or another it will found you in the right place in the right moment and you will remember your words of hate with out knowing their suffering, normally most Mexican come here to get a better life. For what I said, I will leave these things on the hand of GOD.
  • Kalayaa... Huki68 2010/06/02 19:56:54 (edited)
    Kalayaan 001
    +1
    I am glad that you are compassionate and sympathize for these people. The thing is that a policy has to be implemented that will fix the problem. We have to give them incentives not to enter illegally... especially the young girls and women. (Have you heard of the "rape trees"? Those β@sταrds will not spare even a 7 year old.) For their own sake, we must make entering illegally as repulsive as possible. If they see that it is absolutely worthless to enter illegally, they will enter the U.S. the the safest way: legally.

• Huki68 Kalayaa... 2010/06/02 20:19:51
    Huki68
    I do understand, yet I know the GOV, will not do a thing about it, it is an easy fix trust me if they concentrate on it, yet they are to busy sending jobs out of the USA instead of keeping the jobs here, they are too busy giving Traffics tickets for stupidities instead to come with a resolution, they are too busy to let the criminals out, instead to contact their government and send them there to their own Country prisons... so many things that are too busy, busy making deals that are not worth it for our country...
  • Kalayaa... Huki68 2010/06/02 21:09:05 (edited)
    Kalayaan 001
    +2
    Yup... Government incompetence.. so much hated, yet so common no matter what country.
  • Huki68 Kalayaa... 2010/06/02 21:10:36
    Huki68
    I agree
  • Beccy Kalayaa... 2010/06/03 01:57:58
    By coming here illegally they are setting themselves up to be exploited.
  • Beccy Huki68 2010/06/03 01:56:59
    +1
    I think that if the people of Mexico are unhappy then they need to do what they can to make their country better. It is stealing to come to another country and undercut wages from it's citizens.
  • Huki68 Beccy 2010/06/03 02:19:06
    Huki68
    Pardon my boldness, is not because of the illegal’s Mexican, would you stay sun to sun picking strawberries all day long for 5.00 an hour with 1/2 lunch, I don't think so, illegal’s do the job that we American refused to do and that the honest truth, you will not go everyday picking vegetables sun to sun all they long with breaks, 1/2 hour lunch, no vacation... cleaning toilets.... and you know it!! I am American, yet I know that my Country is not perfect, I will never lie to my self, I wish the government of the USA treat us better as we are their citizen, blame the government that knows what is going on and they don’t do anything about it... The GOV. they are not stealing anything from us, actually we are the ones who does... and I know what you mean about to make their country better, yet sometimes they don't have any option, died or move out, I would move out as well, if my life and my family was in danger, I don't care if you call me whatever you want. After all we are all human being. You should be ashamed of hatred way you talk about another human being. I hope you or any of your family had to suffer, you will see and then tell me what do you feel, you never can say I will never drink from this water... USA is not looking good we can go down to hell any minute, are you ...
    Pardon my boldness, is not because of the illegal’s Mexican, would you stay sun to sun picking strawberries all day long for 5.00 an hour with 1/2 lunch, I don't think so, illegal’s do the job that we American refused to do and that the honest truth, you will not go everyday picking vegetables sun to sun all they long with breaks, 1/2 hour lunch, no vacation... cleaning toilets.... and you know it!! I am American, yet I know that my Country is not perfect, I will never lie to my self, I wish the government of the USA treat us better as we are their citizen, blame the government that knows what is going on and they don’t do anything about it... The GOV. they are not stealing anything from us, actually we are the ones who does... and I know what you mean about to make their country better, yet sometimes they don't have any option, died or move out, I would move out as well, if my life and my family was in danger, I don't care if you call me whatever you want. After all we are all human being. You should be ashamed of hatred way you talk about another human being. I hope you or any of your family had to suffer, you will see and then tell me what do you feel, you never can say I will never drink from this water... USA is not looking good we can go down to hell any minute, are you ready, I hope so, the bible teach us, that we should be ready. I love USA, yet I blame our government, they are the ones who are stealing from us, not the Mexicans. Oh I forgot, if you have kids or will have, when this deal is done, they maybe have to go sun to sun to pick vegetables, because actually the Arabians’ Indian’s are the ones who are stealing our kids jobs, the best paying jobs… and you know is the truth. Peace
  • Beccy Huki68 2010/06/03 03:04:09
    +1
    The illegals are being exploited and so are Americans. Americans will do the jobs there are many jobs that illegals now do that Americans did in the past. It is all about greed and I do not want to see people exploited.
  • Huki68 Beccy 2010/06/07 18:56:40
    Huki68
    Which Jobs we can do that we did in the past that illegals are doing now?
  • Beccy Huki68 2010/06/08 01:34:41
    +1
    Meat packing, construction, landscaping, maids, nannies. Americans did all these jobs in the past including working in the fields if they needed to.
  • Huki68 Beccy 2010/06/08 02:06:43
    Huki68
    I do understand, yet I don't blame them, I blame the gov, because most of them are working for companies, like landcaping, contructions, school cafeteria... Illigals are working for the government... yet If I was in their shoes, I would the samething to be able to survive...
  • Beccy Huki68 2010/06/09 00:33:38
    +1
    But what you don't understand is that by undercutting the pay that Americans make we are all being exploited.
  • Huki68 Beccy 2010/06/09 17:36:51
    Huki68
    +1
    I think if we talk face to face and knowing what I really think and feel you might understand. I do understadd how it works and how it should be, we are the only race that mistreat our own race, we take advantages of situations when is possible and the human being doesn't care who they are running thru or step on as long they get what they want, everything is involved in money. just a paper, evil paper that every human being work their guts out to survive, steal, kill, hurt for that paper... Beccy I know what is going on... Yet, We can be here all day long, discusing this subject when, we never lived in Mexico or South America, I bet they do have people that fight against distruction and abused, yet I bet some got penalized by the their government... This is to complex, yet I do understand what you mean and I agree in many things... WE ALL BEING EXPLOITED since many centuries, Until the government power is limited we will never know what the word freedom means and that is what we all americans and other countries need to do. Le congress retiredwith the same amount of pay check that normally a normal citizen gets, meaning not much to survive or live confortably, let the congress get the same benefits of Health like a norman individual gets that is treatment for the moment not t...
    I think if we talk face to face and knowing what I really think and feel you might understand. I do understadd how it works and how it should be, we are the only race that mistreat our own race, we take advantages of situations when is possible and the human being doesn't care who they are running thru or step on as long they get what they want, everything is involved in money. just a paper, evil paper that every human being work their guts out to survive, steal, kill, hurt for that paper... Beccy I know what is going on... Yet, We can be here all day long, discusing this subject when, we never lived in Mexico or South America, I bet they do have people that fight against distruction and abused, yet I bet some got penalized by the their government... This is to complex, yet I do understand what you mean and I agree in many things... WE ALL BEING EXPLOITED since many centuries, Until the government power is limited we will never know what the word freedom means and that is what we all americans and other countries need to do. Le congress retiredwith the same amount of pay check that normally a normal citizen gets, meaning not much to survive or live confortably, let the congress get the same benefits of Health like a norman individual gets that is treatment for the moment not to found the root cause of the pain. Let the congress get a normal pay like many executives gets. that is less. and final any president pr any member of congress to stop the check that they get after serving 4 to 8 years. and cut the expenditures and give that money to our Soldiers, our disable soldiers from current and past wars, they only get a Thank you and a purple heart. The government tries to xontrol us and we have to control the government... Until that doesn't happen, we are all F***!!! Here or anywhere in the world.
  • Beccy Huki68 2010/06/10 01:42:28
    +1
    I think we are basically seeing a picture that is about the same. Corporations do not send work to places like China to help the people of that country but to exploit. We somehow need to gain more control over the banks, the corporations and you are right our government.
  • Huki68 Beccy 2010/06/10 14:36:19
    Huki68
    yep, every government
  • Beccy Huki68 2010/06/19 22:58:49
    meat packing. Meat slaugthering, construction, lawn care, domestic work, hotel work, restrant work to name a few.
  • KELLI2L Huki68 2010/06/02 13:01:20 (edited)
    KELLI2L
    +4
    Why? . . . they have broken our laws and they refuse to go back to their home land !!! ....A homeland by the way that is now flourishing after getting rid of 20 million of their ignorant and even criminal deadbeats. . . . The Mexican president has NO right to critisize our state and Federal immigration laws while there's is even tougher !!! . . . What's that old saying? If you live in a glass house (Mexico) don't throw stones !!!

2014/07/31 09:42:32