How does the rest of the world really think about the USA?

angelbaby 2011/03/20 09:01:32
Related Topics: USA

• sheratan 2011/03/20 14:33:29 (edited)
    sheratan
    +15
    It is a an accumulation of clich├ęs.

The world views the average American as an obese Texan who eats only fast food, is unaware of the outside world and who drives a pickup truck which is highly polluting.

Favouring the death penalty, his only passions consist of guns and the star spangled Banner. He patrols in a militia to prevent Hispanics from invading his homeland. He is conservative, puritanical, against abortion and gay marriage.

Unfortunately, from my personal experience here on SH, it is not that far from reality.

conservative puritanical abortion gay marriage personal experience sh reality

• La 2011/03/28 08:43:07
    La
    +1
    Oh you know. There's some normal people, and there's some crazy bible-bashing "patriots". There's a lot of hate?
  • angelbaby La 2011/03/28 18:55:07
    angelbaby
    All kinds of crazy people..lol
    Its all in the eye of the beholder.
  • seathanaich 2011/03/23 17:08:04
    seathanaich
    +3
    That you are behind your natural peer group of western allies in terms of education, and in discarding religion. All other western nations make fun of you for being overly religious and relatively ignorant.

That you are individually generous, but collectively quite introverted. As a group you lack an ability for self-criticism, which is detrimental given how poorly you rank globally on almost all social and educational indicators. Others find it annoying that you think you are somehow unique or special in terms of being a democracy or a nation of immigrants, when you are not.

And, like every other group of people, you contain a broad spectrum of opinions.

Most Americans are also completely unaware that in Europe the Germans are generally disliked, and in Asia the Japanese are generally disliked. Such is the fate of relatively populous and powerful soceities among their neighbours.
  • angelbaby seathan... 2011/03/23 17:49:27
    angelbaby
    +1
    Thanks for that opinion !
  • seathan... angelbaby 2011/03/23 17:53:21 (edited)
    seathanaich
    +3
    You're welcome. Thanks for not thinking I was submitting it out of pettiness or meanness, since I was trying to answer it honestly. Speaking from a Canadian perspective, we generally very much like Americans individually, but get a bit exasperated with them collectively, and make fun of them, for the reasons I listed. I have a fairly large number of Americans within my extended family, which is perhaps best considered "North American"! The problem is, as with the Germans, Brits, or Japanese, contact with several "bad apples" colours people's opinions of the whole group. I find there's a noticable difference between the cosmopolitan, educated American and, well, those who are not. Cheers.
  • angelbaby seathan... 2011/03/23 18:00:18
    angelbaby
    +1
    Well done.
  • wombat 2011/03/22 16:01:59
    wombat
    +3
    Show monkeys, stupid like toast and born to bully.
  • onebad 2011/03/21 13:02:05
  • ScrooBius pip 2011/03/21 11:48:55
    ScrooBius pip
    +3
    heading down the toilet thanks to deliberately placing the future of their country into the hands of greedy multi-national corporations.
  • ZERO 2011/03/21 07:58:46
    ZERO
    +3
    I can't speak for the world.
  • flaca BN-0 2011/03/20 19:52:33
    flaca BN-0
    +4
    Depends if you're talking about the people or the governments. There's a big difference.
    Generally it's a mixed bag: from what I have gleaned, America is seen as focusing on "the individual" more than the "community", has a stronger distrust of govt than other nations, has a good standard of living, although has wide poverty too, more concerned with materialism than education, but friendly and generous people. Yeah we're seen as overindulgent and overweight, but other countries are showing signs of that too these days.
    Fascination with cars and guns are two major things that are "noticed" about America by other countries.
  • angelbaby flaca BN-0 2011/03/21 04:28:29
    angelbaby
    +1
    Great Insight ! Thank you
  • KB 2011/03/20 18:22:49
    KB
    +2
    What aspect of it?
  • angelbaby KB 2011/03/21 04:29:13
    angelbaby
    The people and the Government
  • KB angelbaby 2011/03/21 04:33:18
    KB
    +1
    The people are supposed to be the government, but the government seems to have corporate sponsorship issues instead.
  • angelbaby KB 2011/03/21 04:38:28
    angelbaby
    Amen to that !! And very well said.
  • Just Jenn for Now 2011/03/20 17:37:50
    Just Jenn for Now
    +2
    More than likely the USA has become the laughing stock of the world.
  • Dale 2011/03/20 17:16:53
    Dale
    +2
    There are five major groups of countries, in my opinion. Those that are truly allies with common interest, such as U.K. or Japan or Israel. There are fair weather friends, with a like for U.S. when things are running smoothly or when they need help and deep pockets. Mexico comes to my mind here. And Haiti might be included. Thirdly, countries like China or Russia that just get along because of trade and not really liking U.S. and would not show much sorrow if we went right down the tubes. Then there are despots that will accept monies or other aid without any pretense of friendship when it comes to cross purpose to their own agenda. And lastly, countries like Iran and Syria that flat out do not like U.S. or anything it stands for. Pick your own posion on this one.
  • Headhunter 13 2011/03/20 16:10:49 (edited)
    Headhunter 13
    +2
    I have not been overseas in quite some time but Kiber below got it about right and then I added a few to hers.
  • Che Guevara - Hero 2011/03/20 16:07:19
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +5
    Spoiled, Fat, All Guns, No Brains.
  • Headhun... Che Gue... 2011/03/20 16:12:37
    Headhunter 13
    +2
    Really all guns? Have you ever been overseas or even watched the news lately?
  • Che Gue... Headhun... 2011/03/20 16:15:43
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +3
    Yea, I have. Like I said, all guns, no brains. If Libya didn't have oil nobody would give a flip.
  • Kiki Che Gue... 2011/03/20 16:22:14
    Kiki
    +1
    Let me get this straight, some dude with the Butcher of Argentina as their avatar is gritching about the US having guns? Talk about irony.

You do realize, Che was South America's Hitler and used rape as an intimidation tactic, right? At 47, I would have thought you would have been able to have found a worthwhile hero.
  • Che Gue... Kiki 2011/03/20 17:01:25
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +2
    I am sorry you were so poorly educated. Che and a group of revolutionaries overthrew the military dictatorship of Batista, who was installed and supported by the US, US Corporations, and the Mafia.

He went on to help others do the same. The US and its dictators lost its grip on Central, South America, and the Caribbean and most governments are now Social Democracies.

http://www.tomveatch.com/dict...
  • Kiki Che Gue... 2011/03/20 17:09:14
    Kiki
    +1
    It is well known, among educated people, that Che and his followers were very similar to the revolutionaries of the Congo wherein they used rape, murder and terror to intimidate the civilian population of Argentina to either join Che or die. Keep drinking that red Kool-aide and living it up in the US.
    Source

American Revolutionaries who've had to suffer the slings and arrows of having to live with DEMOCRACY are a JOKE!
  • Che Gue... Kiki 2011/03/20 17:15:12
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +2
    Oh, so your source is a conservative blogger. Wow, how educational.

Here are some actual facts recently released under the FOIA from the NSA.
    http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/...
  • Headhun... Che Gue... 2011/03/20 16:31:51 (edited)
    Headhunter 13
    +2
    And what are all those things you see being carried by civilians all through the Middle East? Here is a clue AK47 full autos. You are really simple minded enough to by the BS that it is only about oil? I bet you actually believe it a purely democratic uprising.

If you do I truly feel sorry for your poorly educated ass.
  • Che Gue... Headhun... 2011/03/20 17:04:18
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    The only reason the US is involved is because they are an oil producer. If you believe anything else you are naive.
  • Headhun... Che Gue... 2011/03/20 17:08:31
    Headhunter 13
    +2
    Grow up and buy some real history books
  • Che Gue... Headhun... 2011/03/20 17:18:23 (edited)
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +2
    Which "real" history books are you referring too ?

*******************UPDATE****...
    LOL, The person I replied too left a snarky comment and then BLOCKED me. Don't bring a knife to a gunfight. lol
  • Headhun... Che Gue... 2011/03/20 17:20:13
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    The ones you never read. I realize you are probably to lazy or short sighted to read anything but the party line but try it. It is not my place to educate the willingly ignorant like you. That is why I didn't go into University teaching
  • Kiki Headhun... 2011/03/20 17:20:33
    Kiki
    +1
    You notice how he wont accept my source because it's "conservative" but provides a source advertising a book on how everyone should be kissing Che's arse?

You gotta laugh at the American Armchair Revolutionary who gritches about having to live and prosper in a society ruled by Jeffersonian Democracy.
  • Headhun... Kiki 2011/03/20 17:22:42
    Headhunter 13
    +2
    He won't accept anything except what agrees with his ignorance. Bet he has the proverbial silver spoon in his ass and uses it to eat up the BS. He is a very good reason for the block function on here
  • Kiki Headhun... 2011/03/20 17:24:09
    Kiki
    +2
    Just to let you know how off the wall is Che-boy, he sent me a friend request. Seriously!!...
  • Headhun... Kiki 2011/03/20 17:29:43 (edited)
    Headhunter 13
    +2
    love it when stupidity is proudly demonstrated
  • Che Gue... Kiki 2011/03/20 17:37:37
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +2
    I am friends with people of all political beliefs at SH. It is people like yourself that are stuck in your little mental box and can't get out.
  • Kiki Che Gue... 2011/03/20 17:41:11
    Kiki
    +2
    I am only friends with well informed people who are able to intelligently debate their opinion. You've failed at all points. Face it, you're the one who brought up being a "teabagger" and a "kochsucker."

It's a little late for you to attempt to claw your way up to the highroad.
  • Che Gue... Kiki 2011/03/20 17:35:59
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    Provide some facts. I'll be waiting.
  • Kiki Che Gue... 2011/03/20 17:41:44
    Kiki
    +1
    I did but you didn't like them.
  • Kiki Headhun... 2011/03/20 16:23:06
    Kiki
    +3
    How hard are you laughing that a guy with Che as an avatar is gritching about the US having guns?...You have to love the irony or be disgusted by his ignorance.

2014/10/01 23:55:51