How Does 40 Percent Less Government Sound to You?

It's not looking good. Talks to raise the debt ceiling are dragging on with less than two weeks to go before our nation goes into default. While some Conservatives have pooh-poohed the talk of financial Armageddon, at the very least the failure to raise the borrowing limit will call for immediate, drastic cuts to our infrastructure.

Hell, that's not so bad, right? As it is, the GOP has been complaining for most of the Obama administration about the typical liberal orgy of spending, so a bit of a haircut is probably in order. Luckily, The Atlantic magazine broke down a few of the things that will have to be immediately jettisoned if a deal isn't met.

Don't worry, there will still be money to pay for Social Security, Medicare, interest payments on the debt, military payrolls and veteran's benefits. But what will go away overnight? No biggie.

-- No more maintenance or security of the nation's nuclear arsenal.
-- Get out of jail free cards for all our federal prisoners, because none of the guards will be paid and vendors will not deliver food, medical supplies, electricity, etc.
-- No one watching the border stations and all illegal immigrants currently in detention set free because we don't have the money to put them on a plane and send them home.
-- No fuel or electricity for our troops abroad, leaving them stuck in the desert with billions of dollars worth of equipment.
-- Forget about taking a trip overseas, since all of our embassies would have to close down.
-- No help from the federal government to fight wildfires or floods.
-- All those people living in housing projects put out in the street since their Section 8 vouchers would not be paid.
-- Home-schooling for all you public school kids, since that federal money for local school districts won't be in the mail and teachers won't get paid.
-- Oh, and forget about those guaranteed student loans for college.
-- Also, no more mortgage market, no more TSA to guard our airports, or air traffic controllers, for that matter and no more unemployment payments for the out of work.

Does 40 percent less government sound good to you?

• johnny Cliff 2011/07/23 18:47:03
    johnny
    Will we shall see how the Republican destroy the United States Republicans are the NAZI's and Democrats are the Jews.along with Mexican,all union workers, ..Yes the NAZI's are the Republicans
  • Cliff johnny 2011/07/24 02:23:18
    Cliff
    Not exactly. Democrats are liberals infected by the disease called liberalism. Some think there is no cure. Maye when the bombs start falling on their heads, they will realize that the Utopia they imagined was just a Beatles song played one too many times.
  • johnny Cliff 2011/07/24 02:54:13
    johnny
    And Repubicans are infected with every white power hate group in the United States.. Plus they are infected with right wing Christian Cult members,You know who you are.
  • Cliff johnny 2011/07/24 03:00:45
    Cliff
    BS
  • johnny Cliff 2011/07/24 03:08:13
    johnny
    BS = REPUBLICAN PARTY
  • Cliff johnny 2011/07/24 10:54:25
    Cliff
    BS=U
  • johnny Cliff 2011/07/24 17:59:00
    johnny
    U= BS
  • Wizard 2011/07/23 06:49:16
    I think 40 percent less government sounds ...
    Wizard
    That is too much of a shock to our economy.
    It may be OK to gradually get there - but to go there suddenly is nothing short of a huge sociological disaster for this country.

It looks like it is about time to start packing the Winnebago...and head for them thar hills while the gettin' is good.

sociological disaster country packing winnebago head thar hills gettin winnebago
  • Foothill 2011/07/23 06:44:24
    Foothill
    +2
    like a beginning. It's absolutely wishful thinking. Only a revolution could accomplish that. But, as a dream it would be great to see people take care of themselves and let bums become extinct. Let the church help people who need it and want it. Let freeloading government leeches suck on the debt they created. Government is not your mommy & daddy, so grow up and make something of yourselves left wing whiners.
  • Todd Ho... Foothill 2011/07/23 07:07:13
    Todd Hooper
    Even in the worst throes of the 18th century, no one actually seriously wanted the poor to go to "extinct" How can you live with such a sickening philosophy? Have you had such a pampered existence that you can not comprehend how someone could fail in a society that has never had less than 3.1% unemployment. Amazing, only in America are the poor blamed for being poor
  • Annie~P... Todd Ho... 2011/07/24 05:43:22
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +1
    Only in America do half of the population blame the other half for their success.
  • rocat Annie~P... 2011/07/24 10:20:49
    rocat
    i like that-
  • Foothill Todd Ho... 2011/07/31 05:46:52
    Foothill
    I guess I should have been more clear. I'm referring to the welfare whores and system suckouts who take advantage of government handouts. Left wing government spawns this crap and bleeds people who actually work hard for a living, like me, and are tired of leeches who never even try to do anything for themselves since our noble leadership sees fit to steal any incentive from them to work. Oh yes, I also give to charities to help people who are truly poor. You might want to actually think before stretching your little claws.
  • Charu ∞ijm♥∞ 2011/07/23 06:19:26
    It sounds awesome
    Charu ∞ijm♥∞
    +3
    A smaller government is the best government to have and yes I would absolutely rather have a government 40% less if not more so.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2011/07/23 06:13:44
    MOMMA THOMAS
    WHERE? WHO? WHAT? ....I NEED THE DETAILS.
  • nonnonsenseguy 2011/07/23 06:04:26
    It sounds awesome
    nonnonsenseguy
    +2
    Government should downsize during recessions like everyone else. There is sooooooo much waste in government.
  • Col. Klink's Ugly Little Br... 2011/07/23 05:56:58
    Col. Klink's Ugly Little Brother
    It sounds good to me, I just love when these people threatening these things. These people are transparent, they create senerio to scare people to back the Democrat positions. I hope they call them out and let the chips fall where they may.
  • Todd Ho... Col. Kl... 2011/07/23 07:10:18
    Todd Hooper
    You know whats scary, not being able to find a job even if you have three decades of experience in a particular industry. It happens, a lot. Not all of us have rich mommy and daddy to hold us up so we can spit on the unfortunate.
  • Annie~P... Todd Ho... 2011/07/24 05:46:51
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    And not all those who are successful had wealthy parents, many had/have poor folks and also support the parents not to mention siblings. Not everything is black and white and can be placed in a box like Marxists like to do.
  • turnright 2011/07/23 05:40:06
    It sounds awesome
    turnright
    +4
    A good start..
  • JimCourtney 2011/07/23 05:39:22
    It sounds awesome
    JimCourtney
    +3
    There are so many places to cut wasteful spending, shrimp on treadmills, the study of why Indians are gay, free college for All, including illegals. I am a white guy and not hardly rich and had to pay my own way. No Obama dollars back then. Welfare cheese was embarrassing.
  • Steven 2011/07/23 05:39:13
    It sounds awesome
    Steven
    +1
    What the poll answers should have been are: a) Too much b) Too little. Frankly 40% is nothing.
  • Lisa 2011/07/23 05:30:36 (edited)
    It sounds awesome
    Lisa
    +2
    It is called less waste and more efficiency. No more frivolous money for studies Like why the tsetse fly has been flying a different route!
  • Todd Ho... Lisa 2011/07/23 07:27:08 (edited)
    Todd Hooper
    You do know that lots of theoretical research builds to practical applications? Note, in the free market there would never been a space shuttle. For all that bitching about a $20,000 grant, you're paying fractions of a cent for, you'd be stopping science in its tracks...but thats probably by design, conservatives hate science and are clueless about how much of any budget has to do with grant writing.
  • Annie~P... Todd Ho... 2011/07/24 05:56:36
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +1
    Conservatives hate Science Todd? Where do you find this information lol? How about NASA? Is that a Marxist progressive outfit or would you say NASA is Conservative? References please. My family has allot of scientists, from an engineer at NASA, to a Colonal who was a chemical engineer to medical to my dad who was a seismograph geologist ------ all conservative. So? What do all those people have to do with being clueless about a budget and grant writing for God's sake?
  • Lisa Todd Ho... 2011/07/24 22:38:52 (edited)
    Lisa
    Generalistic nonsense replies will get you nowhere! But the again all you liberals love to do is generalize and hypothecate!
  • dave s 2011/07/23 05:25:26
  • Cliff dave s 2011/07/23 10:04:31
    Cliff
    +2
    The federal government was designed to be limited. A quick perusal of the US Constitution will inform you of this. I know liberals don't much like the constitution but you know what? Too bad.
  • dave s Cliff 2011/07/25 01:54:40
    dave  s
    i agree that the document vastly limits the powers of the feds. Unfortunately too many politicians over the years have enacted legislation born out of empathy and devoid of any fiscal responsibility.
  • Cliff dave s 2011/07/25 02:11:57
    Cliff
    +1
    I'm glad to hear you say that.
  • Stuart 2011/07/23 05:25:18 (edited)
    Stuart
    +3
    like a good start. I'm tired of paying to fund studies on questions like, Are people who post pictures on the Internet from the same place at the same time often socially connected? ($2,000,000) and sending $79,998 to determine why the same teams dominate March Madness every year. You would think with that kind of research, Obama would do better on his brackets.

I edited this because I looked at the top of the page and saw an ad for "safe link". Government paid cell phones for "income eligible" people. Yeah. I paid $30 for 300 minutes on a prepaid cell phone for myself that came with a free phone but the government is probably paying 3-5 times that to support this program for "poor" people per person and they have a refer-a-friend program as well.
  • Todd Ho... Stuart 2011/07/23 07:25:31
    Todd Hooper
    Any reason you put "poor" in quotations marks, do you actually think that these are the same as your typical Verizon phone?
  • Annie~P... Todd Ho... 2011/07/24 06:14:37
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    Honestly Todd, is that all you can come up with lol!!
  • The Political Centrist 2011/07/23 05:13:47
    The Political Centrist
    Some of these 'cuts' are outrageous. Some are justifiable.

WARNING: Most of you will probably reply with 'TMI'.

1. No more maintenance or security of the nation's nuclear arsenal - A nuclear explosion COULD happen without maintenance. This could COST us MUCH!

2. Get out of jail free cards for ALL our federal prisoners - OUTRAGEOUS!

3. No one watching the border stations - Then illegal immigrants can illegally enter the country and threaten us?

4. No fuel or electricity for our troops abroad - This one is justifiable. Troops DON'T NEED ELECTRICITY. Food and sleep is vital enough.

5. Forget about taking a trip overseas - This one is a LITTLE justifiable. Besides, we don't have enough money to go around and travel like we used to.

6. No help from government to prevent wildfires/floods - This one is a little crazy. Burned houses and flooded streets will cause citizens to become quite furious.

7. All those people living in housing projects put ot in the street - Where are they going to live NOW?

8. Home-schooling for all you public school kids - NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

9. Forget about those guaranteed student loans - My niece just graduated HIGH school. Not NOW, please!

10. No more TSA to guard our airports - Another 9-11. It's what this country needs (sarcasm).

...

Look, I know we have very little money. And like everyone else, I want this economy to get better. But most of these cuts are way to extreme. We need to find ANOTHER alternative to make this economy get back to it's feet.
  • Bibliophilic 2011/07/23 05:10:43 (edited)
    Bibliophilic
    +3

It will sound good at first, but a smaller government does not necessarily mean smaller government influence. Soon we'll start to complain about the extras we're missing.
  • Jaiheena Star 2011/07/23 05:08:43
  • Libby 2011/07/23 05:03:48 (edited)
    Libby
    +1
    It sounds like it would make the GOP cry foul. They couldn't handle having people they view as being below them in their midst. After all they want America to themselves, where everyone is exactly like them, inbred socialism.
  • rocat Libby 2011/07/23 05:36:01 (edited)
    rocat
    +2
    socialism to the left of us...
    socialism to the right of us...
    do you see the pattern now???

are you actually close to a breakthru in understanding-???
    for a libbyproggy - to call repubs socialists--
    well...that's simply astonishing-!!!

either the bulb in your closet-is quite dim-
    or somehow a ray of light is penetrating-

i must confess...
    i can not tell which-
  • Libby rocat 2011/07/23 06:39:35
    Libby
    +1
    I'll wait for you to catch up, if that's possible. Rightists want a society without anyone unlike them or anyone who thinks as demented as they do. Out with gays, out with American Muslims, out with women's rights, out with anyone on welfare, out with all the lazy liberals, out with the MSM, out with the immigrants, out with marijuana smokers, out with the Atheists, I mean does it ever end?? If you can't see the direct correlation in that with a socialist counrty you don't know what socialism is. When you get your perfect country you'll start outting each outer because you lap dogs love to out.
  • rocat Libby 2011/07/23 07:01:29
    rocat
    +2
    you confuse issues with principles-
    and arrive at gross misdefinitions of political terminology-
    [and obvious for all to see-]
    absurd conclusions-

in all cases you reference social issues-
    not governmental ones-
    what do any of these things...
    have to do with how to run a govt according to written laws-???
    please explain-...

i think the word social in socialism -
    has you so confused -
    you will never see light-
    there is no bulb- in your closet at all-
    it was just a glimmer from my imagination-
    my mistake--

bear in mind-
    for every gay person some fake conservative rinoprog wants to hate-
    there is a french fry being hated by a libprog-
    both are moronic-
    i think if you can see one you can see the other-
    or not...

where do you fall again-???
    oh -that's right-
    with the conservative democrats-
    not the progressive republicans-lmao
    can't help but feel that none of you makes any sense-

if you can type this patent nonsense and believe it-
    i assure you -
    whether you know it or not -
    you make the joke on you-
    we laugh-

please-do continue-

2014/10/31 11:33:49