How Does 40 Percent Less Government Sound to You?

It's not looking good. Talks to raise the debt ceiling are dragging on with less than two weeks to go before our nation goes into default. While some Conservatives have pooh-poohed the talk of financial Armageddon, at the very least the failure to raise the borrowing limit will call for immediate, drastic cuts to our infrastructure.

Hell, that's not so bad, right? As it is, the GOP has been complaining for most of the Obama administration about the typical liberal orgy of spending, so a bit of a haircut is probably in order. Luckily, The Atlantic magazine broke down a few of the things that will have to be immediately jettisoned if a deal isn't met.

Don't worry, there will still be money to pay for Social Security, Medicare, interest payments on the debt, military payrolls and veteran's benefits. But what will go away overnight? No biggie.

-- No more maintenance or security of the nation's nuclear arsenal.
-- Get out of jail free cards for all our federal prisoners, because none of the guards will be paid and vendors will not deliver food, medical supplies, electricity, etc.
-- No one watching the border stations and all illegal immigrants currently in detention set free because we don't have the money to put them on a plane and send them home.
-- No fuel or electricity for our troops abroad, leaving them stuck in the desert with billions of dollars worth of equipment.
-- Forget about taking a trip overseas, since all of our embassies would have to close down.
-- No help from the federal government to fight wildfires or floods.
-- All those people living in housing projects put out in the street since their Section 8 vouchers would not be paid.
-- Home-schooling for all you public school kids, since that federal money for local school districts won't be in the mail and teachers won't get paid.
-- Oh, and forget about those guaranteed student loans for college.
-- Also, no more mortgage market, no more TSA to guard our airports, or air traffic controllers, for that matter and no more unemployment payments for the out of work.

Does 40 percent less government sound good to you?

• perks-a... Bilingu... 2011/07/23 13:54:06
    perks-a real PATRIOT
    +2
    1) Big government is socialism/communism and as we all know, that ideology doesn't work, it just destroys lives.
    2) Hahahaha, this is your funniest argument because this is the lie the left has been using for decades. Do you really believe that republicans want people to suffer? Do you really believe that republicans don't want safety nets for people in hard times? Do you really believe that republicans don't believe in charitable organizations? Wake up man and turn off the alphabet news!!
    3) Hmmm, let me think....when corporations find profitable environments, they stay in America and put people to work. Hmmm, what does government do.......they tax and take from people. They create nothing bro!!
  • Bilingu... perks-a... 2011/07/23 15:32:59
    Bilingual required sucks
    +1
    1)Communism fails because it is too extreme and cant possibly work. Socialism does work please post a link to an article that explains why socialism fails and is unsound
    Communism and socialism are not the same.
    2)Find me an article that states that the Republican Party did something to help the poor. If you can find an article that says they helped blacks, hispanics, inner city poor.I wanna see that they saw poverty and did something...anything to make the lives of poor people better. Just ONE article is all I ask. Of course an article from 1865 about the EP of slaves dont count :)
    3) That wasnt an answer to the question. Why do Reps believe the lie that tax breaks create jobs?
  • perks-a... Bilingu... 2011/07/23 15:44:11
    perks-a real PATRIOT
    Wow, it appears that your convictions on this subject are way to far gone for me to stay here and try to educate you on history. Good luck in life and prepare for the ideological battle that is clearly coming!!
  • Dugger712 perks-a... 2011/07/23 18:12:13
    Dugger712
    You ain't much of a fight are you? When the heat goes up you runaway.
  • perks-a... Dugger712 2011/07/23 18:17:58
    perks-a real PATRIOT
    Right!!!
  • MadAsHEck Bilingu... 2011/07/24 22:37:11
    MadAsHEck
    1. Because Socialism depends on the government to provide. And eventually you run out of other peoples money. The only difference being the Communism has more anarchism, anti-religious ideas, and no free market.

Which is why China and Russia and India are suddenly getting to be big players in the Global market. They have unleashed a Free Market Economy. While we are slowly killing the Free Market, with high Taxes and Union control and slowly approaching third world status.

2. Martin Luther King was a republican, as were most of the southern African Americans. The KKK was the Militant arm of the Democratic Party in the south. It was the Democrats that were fighting the Civil Rights movement.

3. Because it is true perhaps. If a company has to pay higher taxes, they either move out of the country, or hold back on expanding. As Steve Wynn said las week, and he was a real Democrat's Democrat in Nevada for years.

If you ever start a business, it wont take you long to realize all three of these things.
  • Bilingu... MadAsHEck 2011/07/25 01:51:18 (edited)
  • MadAsHEck Bilingu... 2011/07/25 02:30:32 (edited)
    MadAsHEck
    As to the failure of socialism, look up the Soviet Union for your self. That is the best example. Then there is Germany before the Second World war. How about Greece today.

And Canadian Companies are actually hanging in due to their LOWER corporate tax rates on business. And a lot of American Business is moving to Canada tosave Tax dollars.

My eyes got opened when I tried my first small business .

Socialism fails due to running out of other peoples money.

And you are totally wrong about China, and actually contradicted yourself in the same sentence. They indeed have loosed a Free Market Economy and it is working for them as they force us into third world status. As to China, I do business with a Battery Manufacturer of Model Plane Batteries. He is in his 40's, and said that 10 years ago the government would hav curtailed his business. Now they support it. They used to not allow individuals to run their own project, now they want entrepenuerial enterprise..

And I have Socialized Medicine now. Ever heard of Medicare? And guess what, I had to pay for it at about 3% of my earnings fo years, and now pay over $2000 per year for it. Plus a ton of money for prescriptions for my wifes Cardiac Care.

And Canadians, an estimated 44,000 came to the US and other countries in...

And Canadians, an estimated 44,000 came to the US and other countries in 2010 to pay for Better Medical care than they could get in Canada. Ome pof them was a high Muck di Muck in the Canadian government.

Canadian Lady that went thru PT with my wife had to have an Angioplasty, and they put her on a waiting list and estimated 7-10 days that she would wait to get the procedure. She was in Pain, so her husband brought her to the US, she was choppered to a Major facility and got the procedure as fast as my wife did. Less than 3 hours from hitting emergency to being in recovery. And they were more than willing to pay the bill as she might have stroked out or died in the 7-10 day wait time. Neat couple, spent a lot of coffee time with him while our wives were exercising. He loves his country, but says that socialism is not working so well as they would like the rest of the world to think.

And when there are no Companies here producing things, where will there be jobs for people to make a living. As it is now Companies are holding back due to the uncertainty in our governmant.

When a diehard Democrat like Steve Wynn says the government is killing the Business in the USA, you might want to pay attention
  • MadAsHEck Bilingu... 2011/07/24 22:13:59
    MadAsHEck
    7 of the 10 wealthiest members of Congress are Democrats. So I doubt that they are that concerned about the Middle Class and less fortunate.
  • Bilingu... MadAsHEck 2011/07/25 02:44:18 (edited)
    Bilingual required sucks
    What kind of logic is that? That rich Democrats have to give away all their money to poor people? Youre saying that because they are rich, they do not care about poor people?
    Beyond ridiculous!
  • MadAsHEck Bilingu... 2011/07/25 02:47:30
    MadAsHEck
    Socialism demands Redistribution of wealth.

Thats a fact Jack! And in the real world, Wealth is not Distributed, it is earned.

So in one post you advocate Socialism, and in the next you say no to it.

I give up - you are either a troll or totally unable toaccept or research the truth. At any rate I Block Trolls

Bu! Bye!
  • Bilingu... Bilingu... 2011/07/25 03:16:21 (edited)
    Bilingual required sucks
    SO MAD AS HECK BLOCKED ME BECAUSE YOU CANNOT ANSWER 3 SIMPLE QUESTIONS , INSTEAD GIVING A DIATRIBE OF CANADIAN MEDICINE. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TAKEN ON A CHALLENGE THAT YOU WERE MENTALLY INCOMPETANT TO COMPLETE AND JUST LIKE A REPUBLICAN YOU BLOCKED ME, WHEN YOU WERE HOPELESSLY CORNERED.
    YOU LOSE NEO-CON YOUR MEAGER ATTEMPTS AT LOGIC ARE INSIGNIFICANT COMPARED TO MINE.
    3 QUESTIONS AND BECAUSE YOU CANNOT ANSWER THEM YOU CALL ME A "TROLL" AND BLOCK ME. WHAT A SORE LOSER YOU ARE!

MAD AS HECK NEEDING A DIAPER CHANGE!
    3 questions answer troll block sore loser mad heck crying republican baby

So in one post you advocate Socialism, and in the next you say no to it
    YOURE AN IDIOT SOCIALISM DOENST MEAN GIVING AWAY YOUR PERSONAL WEALTH AND YOU DAMN WELL KNOW IT, BUT TWISTING THE TRUTH IS YOUR SPECIALTY. OBAMA IS GOING TO WIN IN 2012, SO BE PREPARED TO BE MAD AS HECK FOR A LONG TIME TO COME!
  • MadAsHEck Bilingu... 2011/07/24 22:19:22
    MadAsHEck
    Your choice to work in that environment. I worked for a Telemarketing company for a year. Now there is pressure to perform. So get a better job is my answer. I did.

And how do you expect to have any jobs if there are no companies.

Companies exist to do 2 things. Create a product, number one, and make a profit doing that.

And you can start your own at any time you have the balls. So start your own company and see the headaches invlolved.

I did it twice, so I know where I speak. But it takes something that you seem to not want to do. Bust your butt, 24/7 and 360 a year to suceed.
  • irish 2011/07/23 11:30:28
    I think 40 percent less government sounds ...
    irish
    +3
    SOUNDS is all it is. note how the cuts are designed to single out NEEDED things! the cuts need to start where they will count. lets start with politicians salaries and huge staff. from there we can move on to their travel and perks. next we need to go after the bloated defense budget,hello,stop mucking about in other peoples business when the homefront is crumbling! stop aiding the bankers and wall street,they should all be tried and hung anyway. and of course,lets put a stop to endless ,expensive campaigning especially by the fraud in office. he needs to cancel his b-day plans. the lavish affair planned is inappropriate at this time with the mess he has put the country in. besides he needs to stop celebrating the worst day in history,the day he was born.
  • lupton.... irish 2011/07/23 15:25:04
    lupton.charles
    You should definitely look at Gov. Gary Johnson. His record and stances are basically the same as what you are saying.
  • irish lupton.... 2011/07/23 15:42:39
    irish
    what state is that?
  • lupton.... irish 2011/07/23 16:17:01
    lupton.charles
    +1
    Should have said former Gov. and it was New Mexico. Here's a link to his record from his campaign site, but please don't stop there. http://www.garyjohnson2012.co... Be informed and research him yourself. Wikipedia is a good start for something more non-self promotional. (Although even it is a positive article.)
  • irish lupton.... 2011/07/23 16:35:31
    irish
    thanks but i never use wikipedia!LOL
  • California Jones 2011/07/23 11:27:12
    California Jones
    +2
    Like a GOOD START...
  • coach k 2011/07/23 10:12:03
    coach k
    about right
  • Jimbo 2011/07/23 10:07:13
    It sounds dismal
    Jimbo
    +2
    FDR cut 15% in 1937 and lost 3 years of economic gains. The Keynesian spending to go to war in WWII awoke a sleeping giant that dominated the world economy for the rest of the 20th century. 40% is asking for a great depression.
  • OnlyOne... Jimbo 2011/07/23 13:09:36
    OnlyOneWing
    Thank you Sir Jimbo.
  • Erok 2011/07/23 10:06:59
    It sounds awesome
    Erok
    Time for Re-structure!
  • gary 2011/07/23 09:45:26
  • Cliff 2011/07/23 09:40:25
    It sounds awesome
    Cliff
    +1
    Give them hell Boehner!
  • Ssgtwaldo 2011/07/23 09:18:32
    It sounds awesome
    Ssgtwaldo
    +4
    It's one of the best things that could possibly happen!!

"Man is not free unless government is limited."
    Ronald Reagan
  • XZQZQ 2011/07/23 08:55:05
    XZQZQ
    +2
    Announce a 40% cut in Federal spending, and watch the stock market soar.... Ditto when Obummer is replaced with a conservative, free-market President...

We simply can't afford the welfare state any more, and need to dismantle it PDQ.
  • Jimbo XZQZQ 2011/07/23 10:04:29
    Jimbo
    +2
    I can guarantee at least a 100 point Dow loss on Monday on Boehner's announcement. When that happens, I expect an apology. When we default (about 3 weeks) expect the Dow to drop below 10,000.
  • lupton.... Jimbo 2011/07/23 15:28:03
    lupton.charles
    Actually you may be right and then expect employers no longer wanting to invest in bonds to have to put the money elsewhere like expanding and hiring and investing in other companies. A quick steep down turn with a full robust recovery would have happened without Big Gov bailouts and stimulus.
  • Cyan9 2011/07/23 08:00:48
    It sounds dismal
    Cyan9
    +2
    The tax burden in the United States is lower than all developed countries excluding Korea. Why must some in this country continuously decry big government, big government. What would you cut from it? The truth is excluding Social Security, Medicare, and defence the US spends very little. The non-defence discretionary budget is the what most complain about. However that part makes up only one fifth of the federal budget. We could cut that whole part out and still have a deficit. Would I like to see less spending? Absolutely. We could easily a few hundred billion from defense and still stronger than the rest of the world. Does the Navy really need more carriers than the rest of the world combined? No. Cutting the carrier groups from 11 to 8 would keep us the undeniably the pre-eminent navy but would cost billions of dollars less in spending. Why don't we lower tax rates by cutting away hundreds of billions in tax expenditures and corporate welfare? If GM starts paying taxes then everyone else could pay less. What about the failed war on drugs that causes us to have 7.2 million people in the justice system. None of the things I said are radical but are merely a reiteration of bipartisan reports like Bowls-Simpson. Big Government isn't the problem. We need less spending on stupid items and more on things that will benefit the country.
  • Cliff Cyan9 2011/07/23 09:49:27
    Cliff
    +1
    I would cut EPA, Dept. of Education, ObamaCare, National Endowment for the Arts, Dept. of No Energy, Planned Parenthood Funding, NPR, IRS, Foodstamps, Amtrak, robots folding towels, shrimp on a treadmill, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and freebies for illegal immigrants.
  • Benji 2011/07/23 07:28:36
    It sounds dismal
    Benji
    +1
    That would be catastrophic to our economy right now
  • joy 2011/07/23 06:59:06
    It sounds dismal
    joy
    +2
    How could anyone think that letting this country go into default is a good idea.??????
  • Todd Ho... joy 2011/07/23 07:04:47
    Todd Hooper
    It has nothing to do with thinking, just emotion
  • Tink123 Todd Ho... 2011/07/23 08:51:15
    Tink123
    +4
    The emotive feelers in this debate are on the end that has allowed the media to fear-monger them into submission with the lie that the sky will fall and the earth will stop if we go into default.

That's nonsense - a drop in our credit rating will have little significance if it's paired with REAL economic growth rather than artificial govt. spending.

And that is what happens to people out in the real world when they spend $14 Trillion more than they have. They go bankrupt. Maybe it's about time govt. utilize the same standards they hold the taxpayers to on April 15th. You know - pay up or lose everything.

Only the states like California, Illinois, New York etc. - that decided to spend themselves into debt oblivion along with the Feds will feel the same punch. They should - that's what happens when you elect people to provide for you rather than protect rights.

Course - we could always pass the balanced budget amendment and kill two birds with one stone. But for some reason the left just can't stomach the idea of financial solvency. Oh I can't imagine why. Maybe because they're the ones really pulling for debt forfeiture. Ponder that.
  • FeedFwd... Tink123 2011/07/23 23:00:21
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +3
    The owners of the FED and the globalist banking system also have quite a bit at stake. Don't underestimate their contribution to this or their influence on the political class.
  • Tink123 FeedFwd... 2011/07/24 00:25:25 (edited)
    Tink123
    +3
    Finally - someone with some logic. I agree. But they benefit either way, in truth. They're going to cash in regardless of which way this goes.

Neither party is going to allow default - all political theater. They don't have the courage to hold to their convictions. They just want to wait up until midnight on Aug. 1st so they won't take as much heat for whatever crappy deal they've already agreed upon.
  • rocat FeedFwd... 2011/07/24 10:20:08
    rocat
    shhhhh...lol
  • johnny 2011/07/23 06:49:49
    It sounds dismal
    johnny
    +2
    A smaller and smarter government is simple.. Fire all the Republicans.
  • Cliff johnny 2011/07/23 09:53:17
    Cliff
    Yup, get rid of those nasty Republicans just like Hitler got rid of the Jews so Germans could finally begin to live in the Utopia they so richly deserved.

2014/11/23 07:36:04