How Do You Get Out Of Paying A Fine For A Traffic Ticket?

Little Angel 2012/04/17 19:15:55
Great idea and I would love to try it...
This is as unreasonable as this excuse...
This would never work...
This is the funniest excuse ever....
This Physicist is Awesome.....

There are plenty of ways to get out of a traffic ticket: charm, flattery, fakery, full-on tears, "My uncle is a cop"
all come to mind. Submitting a four-page paper with math equations and graphs proving that your traffic violation was the result of the officer suffering from an optical illusion isn't the strategy most people would employ. It worked, though.

In his paper "The Proof of Innocence" Dmitri Krioukov, a physicist at the University of California in San Diego, outlined for a judge the mathematical reasons why he was not guilty of running a stop sign. It may seem like a lot of effort for one ticket, but Krioukov is no longer on the hook for the $400 he owed.

In making his case, Krioukov wrote that a police officer can perceive a car as not having stopped -- even though it really did stop -- if three different criteria are met:

"(1) the observer measures not the linear but angular speed of the car; (2) the car decelerates and subsequently accelerates relatively fast; and (3) there is a short-time obstruction of the observer's view of the car by an external object, e.g., another car, at the moment when both cars are near the stop sign."

For those who'd like a simpler explanation, the blog Physics Central broke down Krioukov's argument in layman's terms with an illuminating analogy about trains:

When Krioukov drove toward the stop sign the police officer was approximating Krioukov's angular velocity instead of his linear velocity. This happens when we try to estimate the speed of a passing object, and the effect is more pronounced for faster objects.

Trains, for instance, appear to be moving very slowly when they are far away, but they speed past when closer. Despite these two different observations at different distances, the train maintains a roughly constant velocity throughout its trip.

In addition to including colorful diagrams, Krioukov was thorough with his details of the events that transpired: he wrote of having a cold on the day of the supposed violation and expounded on the impact a single sneeze had.

"D.K. was badly sick with cold on that day. In fact, he was sneezing while approaching the stop sign. As a result he involuntary pushed the brakes very hard. Therefore we can assume that the deceleration was close to maximum possible for a car."

Still, in his conclusion, Krioukov was understanding towards the officer in question.

"This mistake is fully justi fied," he wrote, reiterating the three factors at play that led to the errant ticket. "The O's perception of reality did not properly reflect reality."

Now I think I have heard the unbelievable!!!

• Gregaj7 2012/05/06 01:49:13
    Don't get stopped.
  • PeterB 2012/05/05 20:02:04
    PeterB
    +1
    I had a sneezing fit once and missed a traffic light turning from green to yellow. When I stopped I was well into the intersection, so proceeded to exit it, and was pulled for passing a red light. The judge, an avid golfer, chuckled and dismissed the case, citing the cause as being something along the lines of a ’natural hazard. Case dismissed!
  • Little Angel 2012/05/05 18:27:41
    This Physicist is Awesome.....
    Little Angel
    +1
    Good for him! I have never been stopped or been given a
    traffic citation so not sure what I would say.
  • Ron 2012/04/18 17:22:45
    This Physicist is Awesome.....
    Ron
  • Nameless 2012/04/18 00:07:52
    Nameless
    +1
    I either admit that I broke the law or I go to court and argue my case.
  • Prime Time Lime 2012/04/17 21:30:15
    Prime Time Lime
    +1
    I go to court,and have won a majority of the traffic cases. With the others,they were reduced by 1/3 from the original. Many times the cops do not show up in court and it is thrown out of court,thus it is worth the effort for me to go to court.
  • voice_matters 2012/04/17 21:16:13
    voice_matters
    do not get pulled over
  • jitko 2012/04/17 20:39:42
    jitko
    I've said the only advantage of being female is getting out of tickets. I once had six potential violations and was given a warning.
  • Billyk75 2012/04/17 20:25:06
    Billyk75
    I don't.
  • just me 2012/04/17 19:31:37
    This Physicist is Awesome.....
    just me
    +1
    I have only had 2, and paid them. Admire his knowledge of physics.

2014/04/18 15:44:55