House Conservative Says Food And Health Programs For Children Is Wasteful Spending

Foxy Warrior Guru 2012/05/08 21:52:28
"Compassionate" conservatives showing their true colors again.

May 8, 2012
By

I think most Americans would agree that taking food out of the mouths of children is morally wrong. I also think most Americans would agree that keeping children from getting medical care is just as morally unacceptable. But that’s not what House Republicans think at all.

In their proposed budget, House Republicans intend to end school lunch assistance for nearly 300,000 children and end funding that helps 300,000 children get the medical care they need. And according to House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy, these cuts are good because it eliminates wasteful government spending.

During an appearance on Fox News, McCarthy told Greta Van Susteren that House Republicans should be supported for cutting what they call budgetary fat.

According to House Republicans, the definition of government waste is keeping children fed at lunch time and keeping children healthy through accessible medical care. Keep in mind that this is coming from the same party that has been saying that we must keep our children from being in deep debt and having to pay for it. That’s a rather hypocritical stance considering that if children starve to death or die because of a lack of health care they won’t be growing up to inherit the massive debt the Republicans caused in the first place. And what does America get for sacrificing food and health care for it’s children? $29 billion of extra spending on unneeded military weaponry on top of the $525 billion already requested by the Pentagon. That’s right, military toys are more important to Republicans than the well being of America’s children.

The Catholic Church has already condemned the House Republican’s budget bill as a moral outrage because the bill eliminates critical funding on programs that help the poor, senior citizens, and children. But that isn’t persuading Republicans to abandon their heartless and merciless budget goals. It is quite revealing to hear Republicans talk about protecting children while at the same time cutting funds that go directly towards protecting them from hunger and medical need. Indeed, it underscores the claim that Republicans are more concerned about making sure that fetuses are carried for an entire nine month pregnancy than they are about children who have already been born. But even that claim is false since Republicans are also hell bent on cutting prenatal health care funding. Overfunding our massive military over providing food and medical care to our children is not only morally wrong, it’s a strategic flaw Republicans are ignoring.

What good are weapons if children are unable to make it to adulthood to one day use them in defense of this country? I’m not saying that I support future warfare, I’m merely using logic to demonstrate how flawed the Republican budget is. It just seems to me that if what Republicans want is perpetual warfare on a global scale, it would make more sense to make sure America has future soldiers to wage the wars with. To that effort, they should want to keep America’s children fed and healthy. But they, for some reason, aren’t even thinking about that. And that’s the whole point. Republicans ARE NOT thinking. The only thing Republicans are thinking about is hurting President Obama and keeping the wealthy super rich, even if they have to irrevocably harm America and the American people to do it. It’s shameful and immoral and should be sufficient reason to sweep Republicans from government entirely until they learn what is truly important. Policies calling for endless war and making the rich richer are not important. Both are the cause of our massive debt and if not reversed, will lead to America’s moral decay and perpetual doom. A large military is useless if we cannot even afford to take care of the people the military is supposed to protect. Just ask North Korea.

Read More: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/05/08/house-cons...

• Queen B Wilde~M... 2012/05/09 19:55:21
  • ManBearPig 2012/05/09 02:20:28
    ManBearPig
    +2
    there definitely are two sides to this story... while I believe there should be food and health programs to make sure food is safe to eat, there are many gov't agencies that are going above and beyond the safety to where they will only let children eat "certified" food in schools... many programs have taken away and even fined parents who gave their children lunch to bring to school instead of eating the cafeteria food... now that type of regulating is just silly and wasteful spending
  • katywon ManBearPig 2012/05/09 03:57:33
    katywon
    +4
    That is ridiculous not allowing parents to choose their own children's lunches or breakfasts. The school needs to provide for those who can't afford daily lunches and there are those families in this country. But independent parents need not have choices made for them by schools or other authorities.
  • turtled... katywon 2012/05/10 01:01:11
    turtledove123
    I do not think that is going on. I know that kids in my area who qualify for free lunch or breakfast, who do not need to have it, or hate the lunch, and bring their own are not penalized in any way for doing so. What I wonder is if the children do not eat the breakfast and lunch that has been allocated for them, then what? Is it just going to waste? I have no idea as to the answer to that. If the school has leftover food, I wish they could send it to a homeless shelter. That would be wonderful in all areas.
  • The Lib Hater 2012/05/09 02:07:14 (edited)
    The Lib Hater
    +2
    While it is a feel good idea to take care of all of the nation's children's dietary and health needs, the parents who brought them into this world need to take responsibilty for them, instead of relying on the taxpayers to do it for them. This just opens the door to letting the government dictate everything that should be personal choices. This goes into what we eat, our healthcare, and many other areas. These are choices that we make, and the minute you give government the authority to be the safety net for you're own behavior, your less likely to make good choices in your life.
  • Queen B 2012/05/09 01:13:49
    Queen B
    +7
    That's why these so called "pro-life" asshats are nothing more than pro-fetus. After the kid is out of the womb, the hell with 'em. But make sure these frickin' pols can vote for their own pay raise, line their pockets by voting the way their corporate masters tell them too, and are provided the best health care at the taxpayer's expense.
  • Lady Wh... Queen B 2012/05/09 09:55:22
    +1
    too true!
  • ehrhornp 2012/05/09 00:53:50
    ehrhornp
    +8
    So typical republican. Life begins 2 weeks before conception and ends at birth. Then the kid is on its own. And if you are old? Tough get a job. lol
  • Gunner 2012/05/09 00:51:34
    Gunner
    +2
    As a kid, I had a food and health program courtesy of my Mother and Father. Food and health programs involving the Government take tax dollars out of our pockets and invariably mean Governmental intrusion and regulation. What's next?...a Government ass-wiping program?
  • Brandon Gunner 2012/05/09 02:26:34
    Brandon
    +4
    IIf you weren't aware that not all children in America have families backing them as wealthy as you, I'd be impressed if you even finished grade school. Providing food for the impoverished youth of this country is not akin to an ass wiping program.
  • Gunner Brandon 2012/05/09 02:41:05
    Gunner
    +1
    Your "angry" reply makes no sense. My family was not wealthy, nor am I. I finished college and served our Country in the military for 21 years.
  • Brandon Gunner 2012/05/09 02:55:29
    Brandon
    +2
    I never said your family or you were wealthy, only that there are families less well off than yours. I get it, you worked for everything you have, except for when you were a kid. Your parents were wealthy enough and coherent enough to provide for you when you were young. Some don't have that same opportunity. To liken attempts to help those children as something as frivolous as an ass wiping policy smacks of either arrogance or ignorance.
  • Gunner Brandon 2012/05/09 03:07:23
    Gunner
    +1
    You obviously missed the point of my reply to the original statement. I'm not knocking needy kids. I've got issues with people who rely on a Government program for everything. Even during the worst times in my life I have never relied on the Government or program for anything. Never.
  • Brandon Gunner 2012/05/09 03:14:18
  • aneed2know Gunner 2012/05/09 05:07:43
    aneed2know
    +3
    Your point is you dont care, that is your point.
  • chgo Gunner 2012/05/09 05:25:59
    chgo
    +2
    "people who rely on a Government program for everything."

What? you have a problem with 12 year olds getting subsidized school lunches? are you an idiot?!
  • just me Gunner 2012/05/09 06:29:49 (edited)
    just me
    +2
    Not the government funded military retirement and benefits, Gunner? Not going to collect Social Security, Medicare? Great job sending those checks back.
  • aneed2know Brandon 2012/05/09 05:07:22 (edited)
    aneed2know
    +1
    Dont explain shiat to this idiot.
  • Helmholtz Gunner 2012/05/09 05:04:54
    Helmholtz
    +1
    Pulling the old military card?

military card
  • aneed2know Gunner 2012/05/09 05:07:00
    aneed2know
    +1
    so f-ing what i served my country also, that is not the point. the point is he is taking money from programs that help the poor. great your family had enough money to provide you a bagged lunch, your family had enough money to make sure you received adequate medical care, so f-ing what consider yourself blessed or lucky. But not all children have that type of blessing or luck that you had.

This is about the poor and how cruel and heartless it is to take money from them and add it to a bloated military budget and call it trimming the fat.

Get over yourself, damn how cruel and vile can you hateful people be.
  • chgo Gunner 2012/05/09 05:22:54
    chgo
    +1
    And how was your college paid for? From entitlements, wasn't it? STFU!
  • Gunner Gunner 2012/05/09 12:53:48
    Gunner
    +1
    Goodness! What an angry, hateful group of people you are. I pity every one of you. But, I'm sure there's a Government program out there that will make you happy. So keep your chins up!
  • chgo Gunner 2012/05/09 22:35:33
    chgo
    +1
    How the hell are you only 54 and retired already while on gov't payroll?
  • Matt 2012/05/09 00:19:30
    Matt
    EVERYTHING that our government does involves a lot of wasteful spending. It is a culture of waste, theft, fraud, and corruption.
  • Charlie 2012/05/09 00:16:58
    Charlie
    So if in 2010 there were 31 million (not 300,000) children on low cost or free school lunches, http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/L... why does this article sound like part of the picture is missing?
  • 2468 2012/05/08 23:55:05
    2468
    +6
    We will always have money for a new bomber or war....but for children.
  • The Lib... 2468 2012/05/09 02:03:15 (edited)
    The Lib Hater
    +1
    That's what the government should be doing. We shouldn't have to pay for others responsibilities, if ya can't take care of them, don't have them.
  • 2468 The Lib... 2012/05/09 02:15:09
    2468
    +5
    And if there are no jobs but the people are looking is it time to punish the children?

Most people want a job and also want to do a good job at it.
    What if they lose a job and the child is on its way or already here?

I never had kids of my own.
    Still I would like others children to be helped.
  • The Lib... 2468 2012/05/09 02:25:41 (edited)
    The Lib Hater
    +1
    It is fine to help as much as you can, but neither you nor the government has the right to tell me who I must help.
  • #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2012/05/08 23:46:59
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +9
    Isn't it ironic that they'll move heaven & earth to protect a child while its in-utero only to allow it to die a slow & painful death from starvation after it has been born if the child is poor.

The RePUBLICANS in CONgress are morally reprehensible, devoid of heart or conscience & bound for a devil's hell because they have no concern for anyone other than the military industrial complex (which includes the 1%).
  • Lady Wh... #Justic... 2012/05/09 09:56:47
    +1
    hear ya!
  • rustyshackelford 2012/05/08 23:33:20
  • Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~ 2012/05/08 23:18:36
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +8
    And these are the folks who claim the moral high ground with their religion, their interest in every woman's womb, their willingness to further bloat the military-industrial complex.

Can't we let the South go? Sick of 'em.
  • Old Coyote Ali ~ I... 2012/05/09 01:08:01
    Old Coyote
    Feel the same way about California.
  • Ali ~ I... Old Coyote 2012/05/09 01:52:40
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +1
    I'd miss Nashville and Austin, though.
  • Old Coyote Ali ~ I... 2012/05/09 02:00:28
    Old Coyote
    I wouldn't miss California, at least not the Liberal and fruits/nuts portion of it.
  • Ali ~ I... Old Coyote 2012/05/09 03:30:10
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +2
    Ah, but we're fun :)
  • katywon 2012/05/08 23:07:55 (edited)
    katywon
    +1
    First of all a large number of children need health care and it is used to good advantage. As for the feeding the schools program. There is a lot of waste. I think the system has to be re-modeled in big city schools. The children would eat better if the areas were set up like real outdoor fast food places. Serve healthy foods and drinks and let the children choose. That way they might only take what they wanted and not throw most of their food away. Most kids like salads and fruit and cheese and healthy drinks and in smaller proportions then they eat at home. They are too anxious to be with their friends during breaks. This includes breakfast and lunch. You cannot force them to eat and they do waste. As my grandma always said., "When they get hungry enough they will eat".
  • Cyan9 2012/05/08 22:56:02
    Cyan9
    +9
    Sounds about right. Pro-life until they pop out of the womb. Then they are on their own.
  • abycinnamon BN-1 2012/05/08 22:31:02
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +8
    I think feeding conservatives is wasteful.

2014/04/18 23:30:02