Homeland Security Issues Zombie Alert: Cool or Corny?

The United States Department of Homeland Security has a new marketing campaign and it is a bit out of the box. According to the Associated Press, Homeland Security has issued a "zombie warning," which is really a funky way of telling Americans to stock up on plenty of food, water, batteries, flashlights, etc. In other words, be ready for anything--even zombies.

Officials behind the zombie alert hope that the campaign will lead to better preparedness for more typical disasters like hurricanes and earthquakes. Apparently, the zombie approach is not that unconventional, as the Centers of Disease Control did a similar campaign last year. The zombie campaign has gotten attention, but it has been more humorous than anything.

Any Homeland Security threat should be taken seriously but the zombie alert while unique, might be too corny for some to listen to intently. There may or may not be real zombies out there, but like Homeland Security says, it's best to be prepared for anything.

Read More: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/zombie-al...

• Pronatalist Pronatalist 2012/09/09 18:53:39 (edited)
    Corny
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    +18
    Ironic when you consider that Obama and the Obamatons, are probably the zombies which are usually talked about, in any reference to Zombie Invasion or The Zombie Apocalypse.

zombie apocalypse liberals

zombie apocalypse liberals

• Raymond59 tj ~(^... 2012/09/17 06:36:42 (edited)
    Raymond59
    No, I'm not "an Attention Whore." I use pictures to shows how "Unimpressed I Am." Honestly, it's just that we pay these morons (supposed "Public Servants") & they come up with this idiotic stuff to show that they're "doing something." It's like the TSA doing a "hand pat down" on a 4 year-old girl and/or taking an 84 year-old Grandmother (in a Wheelchair) into a private room so they can do a "Strip Search" on her. If there was a real "Zombie Alert," "Zombie Apocalypse," or "call it what you what you will." do You really think for a moment that they would tell People like You and me that it was happening? It's the same line of thinking that I'm trying to put across to You if there was a Nuclear Attack underway. Do you think that they're going to tell You, Me, & the rest of the Country that we're under "Full Scale Nuclear Attack" while they're running to the Nuclear Bunkers for themselves that was built with the Tax Dollars that You, Me, & every other American Taxpayer has paid for? So they can protect their own miserable "Rear End?" The answer is obvious! Also, If there was a "Zombie Apocalypse" or even a virulent Disease that was running rampant (across the Country) there are "Real Contingency Plans" what they would do. It's called (in Government-speak)" "Sterilization." The infected City would be cordoned off & a Nuclear Device would "sterilize the City." If you have any doubt, such a scenario was used in the movie, "Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem."
  • Raymond59 Raymond59 2012/09/17 06:50:29
    Raymond59
    "meshell," calling me "PJGames?" Thank You for the compliment! ;-)
  • tj ~(^... Raymond59 2012/09/17 10:48:58
    tj  ~(^-^)~
    Wait. So, For using an image that amused me and expressed what I was saying and I'm an attention whore. But when you use them -for basically the same reason- you're not? The hell?
    Really

By the way, my status says 'Kpop gifs in every answer now :P ~Locket'. Literally, I copy and pasted it for your convenience.

Okay, you kinda went off track there, in my opinion, but whatever.
    As I said before, this is probably trying to get the younger generations excited about preparing themselves....... obviously not for a zombie attack, you twit. Zombies are fictional. Teens and people in their young 20s are more likely to take an interest in preparing themselves for a disaster if it's made fun.

I said that they're most likely trying to get people (younger people) prepared for a hurricane or something, like it says at the top, if you bothered to read it. If there was a nuclear attack, do you really think that stocking up on 'plenty of food, water, batteries, flashlights, etc' would help? No, you'd be bloody dead, radiated and dying, or you'd be safely away from the blast.

Just checking, do you actually read over things prior to replying? I really do want to know, like, legitimately.
  • Raymond59 tj ~(^... 2012/09/17 15:10:29 (edited)
    Raymond59
    I would suggest that You might re-read the first part of my reply, but since the You didn't get it; I'll repeat it: "I use pictures to shows how "Unimpressed I Am.""The operative word is: "Unimpressed." Not "Impressed." Need to know the difference. DUH.
  • tj ~(^... Raymond59 2012/09/17 15:20:30
    tj  ~(^-^)~
    I never said you were 'impressed', so where are you getting that from? Have you run out of all other things to say so you just tried to pick something wrong out of my argument? Seriously?
  • Raymond59 tj ~(^... 2012/09/17 17:52:38 (edited)
    Raymond59
    To use you own quote: "But when you use them -for basically the same reason." No, I'm Not! You're sitting there telling the World: "Hey! World, look me. I'm an Attention Whore! Look how much a fool that I'm making myself." If you had not pasted that silly motion action caricature in the first place, I wouldn't have even bothered to have made a Comment. I'm telling you (and others like yourself): "SO? Are you that much of a fool that you have to garner attention to yourself? Is your life really that lame?" However, If you want to paste such things on Sodahead & make yourself look foolish, "More Power To You." You're the one making yourself look foolish, not me! Also, don't try to play "defensive distraction" on me. It doesn't work. Also, it sounds like that you're a little thin-skinned about taking criticism. There's an old say" If you can't stand the heat, get out of the Kitchen" ~ President Harry S. Truman. So, don't sit there and accuse others of committing the same act in reaction to what yourself have already done in the first place. That type of silly excuse doesn't work. And also, there's a word for that. It's called being a "Hypocrite."
  • Raymond59 Raymond59 2012/09/18 17:38:07 (edited)
    Raymond59
    "PJgames?" Thank You, "meshell." Also, my comments were meant to be directed at "tj," not you. So you should learn to mind your own "beeswax" (business)!
  • baboula tj ~(^... 2012/09/12 12:38:30
    baboula
    well you never know when the grandma in a wheelchair or a five year old is actually a zombie in disguise. It is interesting how you related zombies to hurricanes
  • meshell baboula 2012/09/12 13:25:07
    meshell
    it is interesting isnt it. More interesting if you were to actually bother to read the question. instead of looking for someone to jump on Tiger. Its in the poll at the top
  • meshell meshell 2012/09/12 13:28:36 (edited)
  • baboula meshell 2012/09/13 12:29:53
    baboula
    +1
    if you had bothered to look, you would have seen that I had already answered the poll.

An example of pettiness would be your response below - you get the avatar name wrong (purposely?) & you insult him . I have never had the pleasure of living in Australia so I do not know if grammatical inconsistencies in writing are the norm but what I do know is that taxpapyers in this country pay the salaries of TSA agents and to have a policy based on a cable tv show does not encourage others to take them seriously
  • meshell baboula 2012/09/13 13:13:43
    meshell
    Damn you got me. you must be able to read minds. how do you know i (purposely) spelt his name wrong. actually that part you got wrong... glad i didnt pay you to look into my head, I would have gotten ripped off.
  • baboula meshell 2012/09/14 17:28:29
    baboula
    +1
    clever non-response
  • meshell baboula 2012/09/15 00:49:04 (edited)
    meshell
    Hey your telling the story here. storyteller
  • tj ~(^... baboula 2012/09/17 10:56:06 (edited)
    tj  ~(^-^)~
    Nope, I didn't relate them, it's says it up top in the description thingy.
    Yeah, my granny always did look a little that way :P (Jokes, obviously)
    lol

I realise this gif has no relevance, but in my status I said I'd put Kpop gifs in all my responses so yeah :P
  • meshell tj ~(^... 2012/09/12 13:15:44
    meshell
    +1
    You go tj. lol... good on you, most posts even the lamest rediculous posts somewhere in them have refrences to politics.
  • AshtonInTheWake 2012/09/11 12:42:48
    Cool
    AshtonInTheWake
    +4
    I don't care who it was by... But I think it's pretty kool. I got my zombie killin' music ready, do you? >:D
    Zombies Ep-TDWP :P
    I do suppose how people would htink it's corny, or borderline stupid, but those people tend to have a very highbrow sense of humor, and have never played Resident Evil P= Therefore, they have not caught the zombie killing bug
  • Raymond59 AshtonI... 2012/09/11 17:10:54 (edited)
    Raymond59
    +1
    It's not having "a very highbrow sense of humor" (as You put it). It's that You have a U.S. Government Agency (paid by U.S. Taxpayers) that issuing "an Alert about Zombies." Having "Zombies" being killed in a Video Game, watching them on T.V. or in the Movies is one thing. However, having a U.S. Government Agency (paid by U.S. Taxpayers) issuing Warnings about "Zombies is showing me one thing: "Someone at DHS (drawing a Salary from U.S. Tax Money) has too much time on their hands & wasting it!" I play Video Games (such as "Doom" & "Doom: Resurrection of Evil") too & know the difference between a Video Game & "Real Life."
  • AshtonI... Raymond59 2012/09/11 19:41:37 (edited)
    AshtonInTheWake
    +3
    Hey, Chiiiillllllll bro. Just chilllllllllllllllll... I meant Highbrow as in not able to see the humor in it. Being unable to connect, being to old and/or mature to enjoy it, not stuck up their butts and what not :P However, as corny as it was, I do believe that the reasoning given for it makes sense: Prepare for anything and everything. It's not like saying "Hey! A big giant tsunami may and probably will hit you next year (In certain areas of the country), so you prepare now before your stuck without provisions!" is gonna get many people up off their butts and prepare before the last few minutes, which causes a shortage of supplies, and not everyone getting what they need to survive. What they use now certainly doesn't work... I mean what are people gonna say when they hear the same warning, be productive and stock up now that they always do? "Meh, I'll do it later." and flip the tv back to whatever they were watching. At least it was creative, and at least it was an attempt. And it got a few people thinking... That's my viewpoint on it anyway.
  • Raymond59 AshtonI... 2012/09/12 01:43:05 (edited)
    Raymond59
    Issuing a "Tsunami Alert" is one thing. Issuing a "Zombie Alert" & wasting Taxpayers Money is another. I'm not sure if You've spent large amount of time here in the United States, but we do have a National Debt that "continues to climb into the Stratosphere" & no one's doing anything about it. We have U.S. Federal Employees spending Taxpayers Money making Videos (doing "rap songs" like the General Services Administartion [GSA] did earlier this Year) while they're suppose to be working "ON THE CLOCK" & then You've got these "Clowns" at the DHS (U.S. Department of Homeland Security) issuing "Zombie Alerts" that have NOTHING to do with their Jobs! And YOU TELL ME TO "Chilllllllllllll?" You're NOT the one that paying for this foolishness, Mate! I AM! So I do think that I have something to say about it! It's easy to tell someone to "Chill" when YOU'RE NOT THE ONE that has to pay for it! DUH! And as far as "My Provisions" are concerned, I'm well stocked up & that's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS EITHER!
  • Raymond59 Raymond59 2012/09/17 07:15:21
    Raymond59
    "meshell," with all due respect. Your system of Government is different than here in the United States. Under our Constitution, the Government is directly answerable to the People. They're in power "by the Consent of the Governed." I know that maybe a "foreign concept" to you, but "it's our System." Until you decide to come here to the United States & become a Citizen, I'd say that you have little to say how things work or how we conduct our own Affairs. I don't lecture you about how Australia should be run, so I'd expect the same Courtesy in return. Also, so long as it's the "People's Money" (and American Politicians even acknowledge that), then I (not to mention the other American Taxpayers as well) can say how the Money is spent. The same concept is the same in your own Country as well, though you probably are either not knowledgeable or not honest enough to acknowledge it.
  • Raymond59 Raymond59 2012/09/18 17:45:23 (edited)
    Raymond59
    "Meshell," Don't worry. I "blocked AshtonInTheWake" because he/she was starting to be an annoyance & was going off on a tangent. So, don't feel alone! Have A Nice Day! Jerks
  • meshell AshtonI... 2012/09/12 13:36:09 (edited)
    meshell
    Sorry Ash, sookarse below blocked me. pc your money?? you make it sound like YOUR footing the bill, once that money goes to the tax dept, it isnt yours anymore.. Do you have anything nice to say, Ive read another pot where you insult a youngen because of her opinion???WTF.. Take that cracker out of your arse. and assuming he doesnt contribute is a bit off isnt it. The lad may be forking out more in tax than you.
  • AshtonI... meshell 2012/09/19 08:32:50
    AshtonInTheWake
    I have job... Government takes money from me... Therefor, I pay taxes :/ And no, I beleive you mistake my tone, I have never knowingly insulted anyone on here \= if my words seem to, forgive me, for that was not my intent. Also... I've decided, and this is not your fault, yours just the first post I've come too, that I will no longer be responding to political posts, except your response, if there is one. I can't change anyone's opinion, and it just leads to ill will and resentment towards one another, and frankly, it tires me, and I feel like crap. I don't want that sort of thing. I just don't know when to keep my fat mouth shut. Have a nice day M'am.
  • meshell AshtonI... 2012/09/19 13:10:10
    meshell
    Hey Ash no need for apologies, I was saying sorry for jumping on your post to have words to The Lion King above,lol(pcgame).He had blocked me and as the old saying goes, where theres a will theres a way. hahaha.I reply as they do, if their idiots, thats the conversation,all stupid crap, but a lot are good to just have a laugh and chat with. My friend this is an opinion site and everyones opinion has a right to be stated, whether trying to change others of just wishing to express yours. Some are nasty in what they say, its all to intimidate in the hope you'll back down, as usually they have nothing to come back with, hence the insults. lol. Have a good day Mate.
  • AshtonI... meshell 2012/10/15 12:39:27
    AshtonInTheWake
    Right, right :o Thanks man :) I really am sorry if I did insult someone... I am a fairly opinionated person, though I don't judge people, I just see their actions as what they are. However, I do believe that the past does not define someone, but rather who they are now. I don't care if someone was a horrible person at one point in time, a drug or sex addict (yes, I am comparing sex to an addiction xD For some people it is, though I'll go no further, I'm not necessarily saying that it's a bad thing) that used people to get what they want, and hurt them the moment they could, people can change in the blink of an eye, ya know? Really and truly change. We all make mistakes, and we all have skeletons in our closets; I have more than a few myself. Anyway, thanks bruh, and sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on recently, I got grounded for not doing my college application stuff x) College... Kindof afraid really, but that's a discussion for another day o.o
  • meshell AshtonI... 2012/10/15 13:21:29
    meshell
    cheers for the reply mate, must clear something up though, Im a sister not a bruh. though no offence has been taken, lol I grew up wishing i was a boy, I was No. 1 Tomboy. The only thing the boys could do that i couldnt, well didnt try, was pee up a wall. I played tackle rugby league, rode dirt bikes like a madman, wrestled and could fight as good as the boys. Growing up I had no choice but to deal with the fact I was a girl. LOL Anyway my friend take care. Best get into the applications for college. Good luck with it all.
  • Nick Name AshtonI... 2012/09/12 02:47:30
  • sundance 2012/09/11 11:25:25
    Corny
    sundance
    OK, so I have to ask. What the hell is the fascination with zombies? Is like you cannot escape the subject, and there are at least twenty flicks, all centered around the damn things. Any clue about the fascination? Help me out...Just a thought...
  • meshell sundance 2012/09/12 13:45:20
    meshell
    +1
    ha maybe preparing you for an experiment gone wrong. lol and there is a drug in the US thats really messing people up. This naked dude was shot while eating another mans face off. Apparently it took a few bullets to put him down. They described it as like a zombie movie.
  • meshell meshell 2012/09/12 13:47:37
  • sundance meshell 2012/09/12 19:45:40
    sundance
    What is the origin of the story? Would like to look it up, and see the particulars. Would appreciate the information.....Peace
  • meshell sundance 2012/09/12 21:54:16 (edited)
    meshell
    http://youtu.be/akX5WJhgoyE

pretty scary, also look up Dangerous Zombie Drug.. its a relatively new drug. they call it bathsalts
  • sundance meshell 2012/09/13 03:09:00
    sundance
    I do have to wonder though. Yes, this is scary stuff, and yes, I could really see this happening. My thought however, is that we are being prepared for an event, and this is just placing the mind set. Kind of like "duck and cover" did in the 60's. It was actually touted as an "earth quake drill" when it was in fact a nuclear strike preparedness exercise. Seldom, is anything actually what it appears to be. Anyhow, thanks for the link and the info...Peace
  • meshell sundance 2012/09/13 03:33:37
    meshell
    and Peace to you too.
  • YeahISaidIt 2012/09/11 11:19:44
    Corny
    YeahISaidIt
    +1
    I've realized something: lately there's been a lot of talk about zombie apocalypse from the CDC and other places. I know they're not promoting The Walking Dead. So my question is this: what are y'all hinting at exactly? Should we be worried? Are you screwing with something you shouldn't be? Just a question.
  • sundance YeahISa... 2012/09/11 11:27:13
    sundance
    +2
    That same thought crossed my mind. Is this something we might be seeing in the future? Curious eh?...Just a thought...
  • YeahISa... sundance 2012/09/11 11:32:58
    YeahISaidIt
    +1
    Good I'm not the only one whose thought that then lol.
  • sundance YeahISa... 2012/09/11 15:57:11
    sundance
    +2
    I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I have noted a correlation between a new heightened awareness of a thing (paranoia), and the sudden appearance of said thing. Now do I believe in "brain eating zombies"? No, I don't. Do I believe that our government, is capable of exposing us ( purposely or on complete accident) to something capable of reducing a person to that appearance and/or behavior? I find this no different than exposing the citizenry to infections, in an attempt to see what the effect on an urban setting, an airborne pathogen would have on the populous. We already know (and have seen proof) that the government has participated in such experiments. So, it does lead one to wonder why? Why the relatively sudden, and persistent (though presented as humor) interest in the subject? Though I am not into conspiracy, I am not entertained by chance...Just a thought...
  • YeahISa... sundance 2012/09/11 17:23:03
    YeahISaidIt
    +1
    There has been a fear that the Toxoplasma gondii would evolve to the point of controlling humans too. Well either evolve or get tinkered with. I don't want to seem like a conspiracy theorist either but if they're talking about this so much... And you're right, they have purposely experimented. There was the Tuskegee syphilis experiment and when they put the birth control in the water in Puerto Rico. And this isn't something they'd want to just use monkeys and rats for. I just hope nothing is going on. And the people hoping that something does are just sick.

2014/07/26 19:22:34