Hillary Rosen says Ann Romney never worked a day in her life. Should she apologize?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2012/04/12 13:33:29
"Guess what?" Rosen said. "His wife has actually never worked a day in
her life. She's never really dealt with the kinds of economic issues
that a majority of the women in this country are facing."

Immediately Obama Campaign Manager called on Rosen to apologize and said that family should be off limits saying this: I could not disagree with Hilary Rosen any more strongly. Her comments
were wrong and family should be off limits. She should apologize.

Hillary Rosen

Ignoring advice Rosen Doubled down on the Ann Romney insult: "I am raising children too," Rosen tweeted at Mrs. Romney. "But most
young American women HAVE to BOTH earn a living AND raise children. You
know that don't [you]?"

She also had this to say about the calls for her to apologize: Spare me the faux anger from the right who view the issue of women's
rights and advancement as a way to score political points. When it comes
to supporting policies that would actually help women, their silence
has been deafening. I don't need lectures from the RNC on supporting
women and fighting to increase opportunities for women; I've been doing
it my whole career. If they want to attack me and distract the public's
attention away from their nominee's woeful record, it just demonstrates
how much they just don't get it.

Ann Romney only made a single response: "I made a choice to stay home and raise five boys. Believe me, it was hard work."
ann Romney

My take on this is BAD FORM HILLARY ROSEN. Have you learned NO lessons from Hillary Clintons "Tammy wynette stand by your man" comment? The furor from that should've taught you a very big lesson. You were called on by your peers to apologize and I will go on record demanding that you do so. If women are lucky enough to be able to stay home and raise their children and they choose to do so, that is not a reason for ridicule. Also bear in mind that Mrs. Romney raised 5 children, while suffering from the debilitation disease known as Multiple Sclerosis, which attacks your central nervous system. I think she knows a little bit about what hard work is.

Read More: http://www.theverbalassassin.net/2012/04/12/hillar...

• ally 2012/04/12 13:52:55
    Yes she should apologize.
    ally
    +15
    This was uncalled for. Whether a woman stays at home to raise her family or works- it's her choice.

• Deere G... Lanikai 2012/04/12 16:19:02
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    Thank you:-)
  • Flowers luvguins 2012/04/12 15:32:32
    Flowers
    +2
    How does that statement by Michelle even compare to this?? Michelle wasn't talking about her family, or her job as a mom. She was speaking about her not being proud of America before Her husband was elected... that lack of pride offended people.
  • luvguins Flowers 2012/04/12 16:03:55
    luvguins
    Wives can be and are made responsible for ANY of what they say on the campaign trail even Ann Romney, and it will draw others opinions of it fair or not.
  • Flowers luvguins 2012/04/12 16:11:46
    Flowers
    +1
    Not what I asked. You compared the two instances, although they are completely different categories.
  • luvguins Flowers 2012/04/12 17:11:50
    luvguins
    Only in your biased mind.
  • Flowers luvguins 2012/04/12 18:17:21
    Flowers
    LOL!!! I love how you are always dodging luvguins. It's amuses me
  • luvguins Flowers 2012/04/12 18:23:29
    luvguins
    Dodging what? It's you doing the twisting and posing the outrage.
  • Flowers luvguins 2012/04/12 18:27:19
    Flowers
    I'll repeat it for you, just so you don't have to bother looking for the comment again...

"How does that statement by Michelle even compare to this?? Michelle wasn't talking about her family, or her job as a mom. She was speaking about her not being proud of America before Her husband was elected... that lack of pride offended people."
    and YOU SAID: "Wives can be and are made responsible for ANY of what they say on the campaign trail even Ann Romney, and it will draw others opinions of it fair or not."
    --Dodging. you tried to compare the two, I called you out, you said I'm biased. Which makes no sense.
  • luvguins Flowers 2012/04/12 19:08:24
    luvguins
    Since Michelle's statement was taken out of context also, I say they are comparable. Your pseudo outrage is typical.
  • Flowers luvguins 2012/04/12 19:10:45
    Flowers
    Outrage? Nope. I said amusing. not angry.

*walking away*
    Yes she should apologize.
    +3
    Hillary Rosen = hillary rosen
  • gbudavid 2012/04/12 15:01:20
    Yes she should apologize.
    gbudavid
    +6
    I suppose Ms. Rosen has raised children and dealt with MS??? Not very inclusive....
  • Andy 2012/04/12 14:58:25
    Yes she should apologize.
    Andy
    +4
    She raised her sons... a mother's work is never done!!
  • Plantgypc 2012/04/12 14:54:26
    Yes she should apologize.
    Plantgypc
    +4
    It was non of her business. Mrs. Romney isn't running for anything.
  • Flowers 2012/04/12 14:51:53
    Yes she should apologize.
    Flowers
    +5
    Running a household IS work. She was her own boss. There are a lot of small business owners who are dependent on themselves for economic security. SHE was responsible for running the household so they could afford things for the family. I don't see the difference between the two, honestly. Romney may have been fortunate enough to not worry about how much was coming home each month like many families but that shouldn't be held against her. Is it not the American dream to be as well-off as possible? (without stealing of course *disclaimer*)

She worked hard, her efforts at home balancing medical issues while raising children and EVERYTHING that goes along with it should not be discounted by Hilary Rosen simply because Rosen doesn't take the time to consider different people choose different paths in life.
  • Cat 1017 2012/04/12 14:44:18
    No way, she shouldn't.
    Cat 1017
    +5
    She should STAY OUT of that debate...Having no DIRECT knowledge nor experience on the matter...She is entitled to believe what she likes....Entitled Not to work, but HAS NO knowledge of life NOT being rich...and theres nothing bad about that, but she can't speak for women that have ALWAYS had to work to help with the household expenses...She was the WRONG one to speak on this matter...THATS WHY SO many feel the Romneys don't have a clue what the 98% deal with or care about the low income...As he stated himself...
  • idonia11 Cat 1017 2012/04/12 16:02:10
    idonia11
    Perhaps before you spout off and make assumptions about someone, you might want to find out a little about them. She knows plenty about low income people as she has worked in many organizations trying to help them. Have you?
    http://citizensforromney.org/...
  • Old Nellie Bones 2012/04/12 14:41:56
    Yes she should apologize.
    Old Nellie Bones
    +7
    The ugly comes out.Ain't it funny the left is always belching out about a womans right,to do this,that and the other thing.But GOD forbid a woman choose to stay home and raise her kids.My hat is off to Ann.
  • Tinka123 2012/04/12 14:38:43 (edited)
    Yes she should apologize.
    Tinka123
    +8
    Of all people, as a LGBT activist, I would think she'd respect the individual lifestyles of others. What I find insulting about her comments is that hypocrisy. His wife isn't running for President, Romney is. She's not running for Executive power, she's not an economic adviser. She's the wife of a candidate. To take shots at her, and solely due to her choice to be a Mother primarily, is pretty tasteless if you ask me.

Romney as a candidate is a free-for-all of bad positions. How insipid must one be to go after his wife given that?

I couldn't care less whether or not she apologizes - her remarks were petty and speak for themselves. But I will point out to our lib/prog friends - it's statements like Rosen's that make people break out in laughter when libprogs talk of "civility" in political dialogue.
  • Bella 2012/04/12 14:25:41
    No way, she shouldn't.
    Bella
    +5
    Romney used his wife as a tool for his rhetoric making her his expert on the economy and women. Ann Romeny is no expert on the economy and no way is she able to understand typical American women and her relatinship with the economy. Could Rosen have said it more diplomatically obviously but she's right, Ann Romney doesn't understand women and the economy and if she is Mitt's expert he's is a lot of trouble. Any stay at home mom that says its hard work is a liar.
  • Assassi... Bella 2012/04/12 14:34:16
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +9
    You are full of it. Stay at home moms work their ass off.
  • Bella Assassi... 2012/04/12 14:39:40
    Bella
    +3
    Anyone who believes that is a fool. Working moms do what stay at home moms do and hold down a job, they are the ones who work their asses off. I was a stay at home mom for 19 years. Six kids and boredome sent me back to work when my oldest was 18.
  • konalimu Bella 2012/04/12 15:09:32
    konalimu
    +1
    May be you were a great "super housewife" as you've prostrated, but you have no right to judge other's personal experiences. You have an inferiority complex, see a psy md ASAP!!!
  • Bella konalimu 2012/04/12 15:11:45
    Bella
    +2
    I was never married to a house. Working moms do what stay at home moms do plus hold down a kid, that's hard work. I'm fine and I'm just not going to whine or lie that staying at home to raise kids was hard because it isn't.
  • Assassi... Bella 2012/04/12 15:29:47
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +5
    If raising kids isn't hard then you are doing it wrong. PERIOD.
  • Bella Assassi... 2012/04/12 15:31:24
    Bella
    If someone thinks raising kids is hard they're not loving enough. Rasing kids is very important and busy but not hard work.
  • Assassi... Bella 2012/04/12 16:30:52
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +3
    Ridiculous. I think you are trolling. People can love their work. Don't be intentionally stupid.
  • Melizmatic Bella 2012/04/12 16:33:58
  • Assassi... Melizmatic 2012/04/12 16:52:22
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +4
    Yeah. Same impression.
  • Tinka123 Assassi... 2012/04/12 16:20:50
    Tinka123
    +3
    Precisely
  • Latti I... Assassi... 2012/04/12 16:25:08
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +4
    Agreed; I may not have any kids, but they test a person. You have to have patience and try to be the role model your kids need, despite your own faults. If anyone believes it's easy; someone else must be raising their kids XD.
  • Assassi... Latti I... 2012/04/12 16:32:14
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +3
    Its not just that, there is massive amounts of busy work too. Laundry, healthy meals, school work, extra curricular activities, housework, trips to the doctor, dentist, educational trips, middle of the night crying. Some jobs end when you are done for the day a stay at home mom is 24/7.
  • FeedFwd... Assassi... 2012/04/12 17:53:04 (edited)
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +2
    That is it in a nutshell, isn't it?!! There is no time off, even on a family vacation (or maybe especially on a family vacation!)
  • Tinka123 Latti I... 2012/04/12 17:39:08
    Tinka123
    +3
    Yep. Even the most basic aspects of 'good' parenting are quite humbling.

Like: Reviewing their school-work / curriculum - teaching them to read / write / process information / form conclusions, make decisions and act on them, set goals and accomplish them, logic / reason etc.. Meeting teachers. Knowing their friends AND their friends parents. Teaching them healthy habits / eating etc. Instilling proper behaviors. Teaching them the right / wrong ways to deal with their own problems, emotions etc.. Simply being there for them and knowing what is going on in their life, what problems they're dealing with, what's important to THEM. Seeing to it that YOU are the person they come to when they need help with something - that is not easy - you have to earn their respect if you want them to respect you like that. And then actually having the answers / advice / information etc. to give up when they have a problem. Discipline. Aiding them in becoming an independent individual.

Everything else is secondary to all that.

Most Moms (and I'm fairly certain many would agree with me here) consider it a privilege to be a Mom rather than an obligation or job. But to say it doesn't require work, or to suggest that by acknowledging it takes hard work means one is lazy - that just blows me away.
  • FeedFwd... Bella 2012/04/12 17:58:50
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    Working moms don't do the same because they are gone 8 hours a day or whatever. Those are the hours, especially for pre-school kids when kids need their parents most. Daycare or a nanny or somebody else does mom's work while she is at an outside the house job. Maybe she does more when she is home, but she is missing the contact and doing the things during the hours she is focusing on her "paying" job both while she is in the office and when she is not. There is more than one way to maintain a house and raise children. I won't belittle working moms, but I won't have stay-at-home moms savaged, either.
  • boneman1 Bella 2012/04/12 15:18:39
    boneman1
    +3
    Saying that working moms do what stay at home moms do is just plain incorrect. If you're not there during the day you can't do what a mom that's made the decision to stay home and raise her kids does. If you're working outside the home you either have family taking care of your kids or you're paying somebody to do it. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that because today it often takes two incomes to pay the bills. If you were really a stay at home mom there's no way you can say raising kids isn't work - not if you raise them right.
  • Bella boneman1 2012/04/12 15:28:36
    Bella
    +1
    Wrong, everything I did during the day as a stay at home mom was waiting for me when I got home and I was usually called at work for things that needed immediate attention. Raising kids isn't work, I'd never consider my kids work, not if you want to raise them right. It's so wrong for stay at home moms to lie and say what they do is hard work.
  • boneman1 Bella 2012/04/12 20:31:40 (edited)
    boneman1
    I think the majority of stay at home moms in this country would disagree with you. Loving your kids doesn't mean that the things you do for them every day doesn't require alot of time and effort. If you're not putting time and effort into what you're doing for your kids and family, you're not raising them right.
  • Cat 1017 Assassi... 2012/04/12 14:57:27
    Cat 1017
    +3
    You are right... I was one a long time ago for a short period of time....BUT, Mrs. Romney didn't have the added worry most moms have...FINANCES...So she was off based using that as her knowledge of the average stay at home mom...She may be aware of the rigord of a SAHM, but that the exent of her knowledge...The Romney are REALLY out of touch, believing that she has a clue that she knows what the average female experiences....
  • konalimu Cat 1017 2012/04/12 15:15:48
    konalimu
    +1
    One does not have to be a divorcee to know that divorce is hard on kids families. Your rationalization has no merits.
    Empathy is a specific trait that separates human from animals. May be God forgot to give you some???

2014/07/25 16:09:16