Hilary Rosen Was Right: Ann Romney Is Not the Average Woman

ProudProgressive 2012/04/13 17:20:37

By: Rmuse
April 13, 2012

Most people have little trouble identifying or relating with a culture, socioeconomic group or religion because of shared experiences and beliefs that are endemic to the group. It is amusing to witness a wealthy politician make an effort to relate to a blue-collar construction worker when everyone knows the closest the politician probably ever came to construction work was phoning a contractor to solicit bids to build their mansion’s gymnasium, or car elevator. Throughout the long Republican presidential primary, Willard Romney has attempted to identify himself as a regular guy who understands the working class, but regardless taking his tie off and donning denim pants, there is the iconic photo of him sitting next to a private jet while he receives private security screening and avoids an average Americans’ wait to go through airport security. Romney’s problem identifying with any group other than the ultra-elite of the top 1% of income earners must run in the family because his spouse, Anne, displays the same failing in attempting to identify with the majority of women in America.

The faux outrage over Democratic National Committee advisor Hilary Rosen’s out-of-context statement that Mrs. Romney “has actually never worked a day in her life” is typical electoral pandering by the Romney camp, and is probably an attempt to make up for some of the damage Willard’s positions have caused to his support among women. Admittedly, taken in and of itself, that phrase may be offensive to women who are fortunate enough to stay home and raise children. However, Rosen’s comment was not an indictment or criticism of women who are stay-at-home moms, but it does indict Mrs. Romney’s assertion that she can relate to average American women. She, like her elitist husband, has no idea of the struggles the average American experiences every day and she is a pandering elitist just like her husband, and Hilary Rosen called it correctly.

“What you have is Mitt Romney running around the country, saying, ‘Well, you know, my wife tells me that what women really care about are economic issues, and when I listen to my wife, that’s what I’m hearing.’ Guess what? His wife has actually never worked a day in her life. She’s never really dealt with the kinds of economic issues that a majority of the women in this country are facing, in terms of how do we feed our kids, how do we send them to school, and why do we worry about their future.”

Rosen was not demeaning women who stay at home, and she was not reviving the working versus stay-at-home mom controversy that is itself ridiculous. There are few people who think staying home spending every waking (and often sleeping) minute caring for, cleaning up after, and raising children is anything but a grueling, but rewarding, experience. However, Mrs. Romney’s stay-at-home experience is nothing like the average American woman, and although she may worry about her 5 sons’ futures, her concern is how they avoid paying taxes on the multi-million dollar inheritances after their parents die.

The Romneys will never relate to the average American’s economic struggles and regardless how often they talk about it or talk to average Americans about it, their world is as far removed from working-class America as the Earth is from Saturn. They are not even in the same universe as the working poor or poverty level Americans. Most Americans live from paycheck to paycheck, and for women, whether they stay at home or work, the struggle to make ends meet before the next payday is as stressful as caring for young children. The challenge for many women who stay home but want to supplement the family income is earning enough from a part or full-time job to cover child-care, and how to coordinate a work schedule with a school-age child’s schedule. The true economic struggle for millions of women is her children’s day-to-day survival, not her children’s trust fund.

Millions of women would love to stay home and maybe take a few days’ off for horseback-riding therapy, but they are not in the position to ever make that choice and they never will be. Mrs. Romney certainly has worked one day in her life, probably hundreds, but making cookies for the kids or scolding the maid for mixing colors with whites in the laundry is not the same as stretching last week’s groceries to make it to next week’s payday. Hilary Rosen simply highlighted that Mrs. Willard is unaware of the financial hardships women face as their family income falls, they lose a job, or struggle to pay for her children’s yearly medical checkup, and that is the point. How can out-of-touch Mrs. Romney counsel out-of-touch Willard on women’s economic problems if neither of them knows what an economic problem is? They cannot and that was Ms. Rosen’s point.

Read More: http://www.politicususa.com/hilary-rosen-ann-romney/

• **StarzAbove** 2012/04/13 17:27:01 (edited)
    **StarzAbove**
    +7
    I saw nothing that Rosen said that was putting stay-at-home moms down. I was a stay-at-home mom, by choice. We would have had a lot more money if I had worked, but I didn't want to miss anything my kids were doing and I didn't want them to be latch key kids.

But I know my life was entirely different than Mrs. Romney's. I didn't have the luxury of a maid or a nanny, I wasn't able to take off for parts unknown whenever I wanted to, I couldn't buy everything I wanted, I couldn't go to the beauty shop every week, I couldn't play golf whenever I wanted to nor join a country club, I couldn't have lunch with the girls whenever someone called, I cooked dinner every day, I did the laundry every week and I cleaned my own house. I was a mom 24/7.

I have nothing against the working moms, we all have to make that choice, but Mrs. Romney has no clue as to how the average stay-at-home moms get along. She was just that in name only.

• johnc 2012/04/17 22:16:31
    johnc
    when did she say that? her words were Ann is a stay at home mom and hasn't worked a day in her life. I didn't hear her say Ann is not the average women, what is an average women? are you an average women, and how did you establish what average is?

I think it was a cat fight between Hilary and the lovely michelle, maybe hilary made a pass? I don't know, might have been at one of the 35 tupperware parties Hilary attended.Liibs tell me they were not strategy meetings, tupperware? anyway we know that Ms, Rosen knew Ann was the first lady, and the lovely Michelle is a first lady, it was a jab calling the lovely michelle a lazy, never worked a day in her life. and that pissed off the lovely michelle so she cryed to her PW man and he quickly gave hilary the ol Obama toss under the bus

ms. rosen hasn't been seen, not even heard from, we don't have another Foster thing going on do we? I hope she is ok.
  • johnc 2012/04/16 14:57:20
    johnc
    Dig it deeper. but we should get back to issues.

1. Obamas words, empty
    2. record,,,,,disaster
    3. spending out of hand
    4 what does flexible with Russia after the election mean?
    5. has Obama demonized or insulted over 1/2 of the voting public?
    6. it is only April, will he insult 75% by november.

I have to admit that was one quick toss under the bus for Rosen when she exposed what democrats really think, and it must have been a strong toss, she has not been seen or heard from for days. they didn't do a Foster on her did they?
  • Paulina Maglalng 2012/04/15 17:58:59
    Paulina Maglalng
    +3
    We should align ourselves with Michelle Malkin, she is a guiding light. I have all of her books, each one signed at one of her book signings and I travel to many events where she speaks (CPAC). Let's bring her in to speak. Glory. I have a huge poster of her in my office, right next to a Kinkaid and a picture of Him. I even named my cat Malki, she is siameese too. Me and Malki love us some Malkin. Glory. Please follow her website on the INternets, michellemalkin.com. She tells us what companies to boycott. SHe also rites for vdare.com. Glory.
  • Pat 2012/04/15 01:22:02
    I totally agree. I worked from the time my kids were three months old. I got 8 weeks maternity leave from my employer and took 4 without pay. I worked because I had to work and we juggled the kids, the money and everything else to make it back then. I don't begrudge Ann Romney anything. She seems like a nice woman but there is no way anything she has ever done that compares to the average working woman.
  • Max7 2012/04/14 18:19:45 (edited)
    Max7
    +1
    Hallelujah Shake it up baby  twist and shout I agree with you! Even though Mrs. Romney chose to be a stay at home mom, compared to what working mothers go through, I doubt if her struggles could even compare to what the average mother goes through, especially single mothers, and I can attest to that. I was divorced at the age of 28, and God knows my finances was just a drop in the bucket compared to Mrs. Romney. I was blessed in the fact that I've always had a lot of family support, immediate and in-laws. When you have an abundance of money there is no stress in what you need to do for your children. I am sorry that Mrs. Romney has not been in the best of health and for as stressful as that must have been to her, as far as what she needed, her finances was always stable. I am more than sure that there was "Nannies," and "housekeepers." For the working woman these duties fell on her. Plus I heard yesterday that Mrs. Romney said that she keeps her husband informed regarding "women issues," so he's relying on what she's telling him about the needs of women. Truth of the matter, he has no real regards for women.
  • DiViews2014 2012/04/14 17:54:02
    DiViews2014
    +3
    Hilary Rosen 's comment was purposely distorted and taken out of context. She is correct in saying Ann Romney has never had the issues that face the average middle and lower income stay-at-home Moms and she has never done a real day's work in that capacity. If you have maids, nannies and drivers at your disposal 24/7, it is difficult for me to see you as a hard working stay at home mother.
  • Lulu's Mom DiViews... 2012/04/14 17:56:24
    Lulu's Mom
    +3
    That is the point.
  • Max7 DiViews... 2012/04/14 18:53:29
    Max7
    +4
    Hi LadyDi, you are so right, Mrs. Romney doesn't have a clue about "hard work, and low funds."
  • CAROLYN... Max7 2012/04/14 19:24:45
  • johnc DiViews... 2012/04/16 15:02:36 (edited)
    johnc
    she did not say ms romney has never had the issues of a single parent, BTW she did not put herself in that position, what she said was, "Ann is a stay at home mom, never worked a day in her life" her words, as Obama says words have meaning
    be careful. Rosen spoke what the DNC believes, and Obama had to leave those he really represents at these $35,000 a plate dinners. to do the quick toss under the bus.sometimes thier plans backfire. must have been a hard toss, haven't heard or seen her for days. do you think she is OK? remembe Foster messed up and he was found shot dead in a park.
  • DiViews... johnc 2012/04/16 19:50:25
    DiViews2014
    BTW, the issues I described are in no way exclusive to single (mothers) parents. Mothers in two-parent households face the same challenges. I said,

"She is correct in saying Ann Romney has never had the issues that face the average middle and lower income stay-at-home Moms and she has never done a real day's work in that capacity. If you have maids, nannies and drivers at your disposal 24/7, it is difficult for me to see you as a hard working stay at home mother."??

Medical marijuana is not legal here. I heard and understood exactly what Hilary Rosen said.
  • johnc DiViews... 2012/04/16 20:02:02 (edited)
    johnc
    Nice attempt to spin, and I know it takes a large army to explain what democrats mean when they say what they say.

so remove the spin. what you wrote is not what she said.

then you are using meth? I heard her words, you heard what you wanted to hear. words my friend, words have meaning.

so back to her words, not what you or a thousand cover ups attempt to twist it to her words were, and you can google to hear it again "She is a stay at home mom, and has never worked a day in her life" those were the words, you only have spin.

sounds like you also heard Obama say that the stimulus was to save us from a depression, when he said , his words, this stimulus will keep us below 8% unemployment . is that what you heard him say in March 09? or was the depression thing after his first promise blew up. failure is the only results one can expect when they invest our money in failing companies to bail out bunders.
    \spin spin spin, but facts disprove yo spin. think about it, even Obama rushed out to give her the under bus toss. but if you and hohar want to dig the hole deeper be my guest.
    NOBAMA 2012
  • DiViews... johnc 2012/04/17 17:42:02
    DiViews2014
    I do not go partake of any mind altering drugs; therefore, I have no comprehension of your disillusionment for plain speak. You would have to be under the influence of psychoactive drugs to as you say "spin" this tangled web. You are free to interpret or misinterpret as you choose. You have strayed from cognizant awareness. Rank on if you wish. 2012 will be what it will be. Peace Out!!!
  • johnc DiViews... 2012/04/17 20:19:08
    johnc
    yes 2012 will be the end of the disasterous Obama regime
  • johnc DiViews... 2012/04/17 22:27:14
    johnc
    when did she say that? we know she said "Ann is a stay at home mom and has never worked a day in her life" Now I know democrats speak in some other language and it does take an army of those with the Obama thrill in thier legs to spin what they say. consider Barack, Obama thrill between the legs folks are still attempting to spin what he said about the SC, would be nice if you folks explained what "after the election I will be more flexible with Russia" but I haven't heard much on that. do you have spin for that?

What is with the envy? did you screw up like max and marry a loser?

I will help you out. Hiary knew Ann was a first lady, the lovely Michelle is a first lady, and when Hilary said that first ladies don't work, well the lovely michelle did not take that kindly. got hold of her PW husband, and Obama gave Rosen the quick toss under the bus, the story should be over, so lets go to the issues.
    1. Obamas words, empty
    2. record,,,,,disaster
    3. spending out of hand
    4. agenda scary
    5. what does flexible with Russia after the election mean
    6. energy costs skyrocket, ok promise kept.
    NOBAMA 2012

.
  • DiViews... johnc 2012/04/18 15:54:09 (edited)
    DiViews2014
    F/O. 2012. You do not have a clue as to what 2012 will bring. Take your murky crystal ball and STFU. I going to help STFU. Definitely PEACE OUT!!!
  • mich52 2012/04/14 16:38:31
  • Lulu's Mom mich52 2012/04/14 17:57:36
    Lulu's Mom
    +2
    It is par for the course.
  • johnc mich52 2012/04/16 15:07:30
    johnc
    maybe dems should speak english? seems it takes an army of explainers to explain what they say. We are still getting spin of Obamas comments about the SC.

she said what she said, she did it with the concent of Obama reelection committee, it blew up in thier face, Obama got together with Mr Ed. the guy that was suspended for calling women sluts and such. to give Hilary the ol' Obama toss under the bus.

Mr Ed looked shocked, I think Obie went there to leave a message, was this toss like the dead fish wrapped in news paper. DON'T MESS UP
  • mich52 johnc 2012/04/16 17:33:18
  • johnc mich52 2012/04/16 17:47:18
    johnc
    of course.

the new concern is maybe axelrod,? sees the writing on the wall. on sunday so endorsed the Romney plan over Obamas.

I don't think the Obama stratagy of demonizing and insulting most American voters is going to work for him. Just not enough billy the bomber ayers. rev wrights, bells, corzine, black panthers, rev jacsons or sharptons to carry him

who is next.?

OK, those were tupperware parties at the WH and she did attend 35 of them.

NOBAMA 2012

but I am for getting back to the issues

Obamas words empty
    record dismal
    spending spree dangerous
    his agenda scary
    and what did he mean when he whispered to Russia that he would be flexible if he could bup the American peole one more time. .
  • johnc mich52 2012/04/18 18:39:57
    johnc
    DiViews did the old liberal rant and block, tell dufus I block back drive by ranters reep what they sow.
  • mich52 johnc 2012/04/18 21:36:05
  • johnc mich52 2012/04/18 21:37:50
    johnc
    it believe it to be cowardly, so does fit the liberal standard.

what is you people? is that like those people?
  • mich52 johnc 2012/04/18 21:43:45
  • johnc mich52 2012/04/18 22:25:55
    +1
    for a woman who had cancer and has MS I think she'd remarkable
  • mich52 Sister ... 2012/04/14 16:40:55
  • Max7 mich52 2012/04/14 18:58:39
    Max7
    +2
    Plus most things are handled remarkable when finances are right, and this includes having cancer and MS. When you have cancer or any other physical break down, the best thing to have is a whole lot of faith. Sickness and death don't notify us that they are about to embark upon our lives, and all of us experience the ups and downs of life, and still have to run our households.
  • johnc mich52 2012/04/16 17:48:11
    johnc
    does the lovely Michelle?
  • CAROLYN... Sister ... 2012/04/14 19:27:22
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +3
    Yes,many women are very remarkable when faced with life threatening diseases.Many women have that and trying to survive economicaly in a very tough world.
  • Lulu's Mom 2012/04/14 14:43:25
    Lulu's Mom
    +5
    I would be pissed as hell if I thought that Rosen was talking about all stay at home moms, because I was one too. But there is a big difference between the rich moms and the rest of us. And pointing out the differences is not demeaning, it's reality.
  • **Starz... Lulu's Mom 2012/04/14 14:46:50
    **StarzAbove**
    +4
    I agree.
  • Max7 Lulu's Mom 2012/04/14 19:02:56
    Max7
    +4
    and I think that you're exactly right, Hillary Rosen was coming from a financial aspect, Conservatives love to point their fingers, make accusations and to the best of their ability to try and make the Obama administration look bad.
  • Lulu's Mom Max7 2012/04/14 19:37:36
    Lulu's Mom
    +1
    And they only do that because they are so rotten.
  • johnc Lulu's Mom 2012/04/16 17:52:53
    johnc
    tell the ranter and blocker max7 that it is Obama that is making himself look bad by demonizing others. his insults and demonizing americans voters has gone past 50% and in is only april. we have a long way to go.
    it was a trial baloon, it failed Obama gave her the under the bus toss. sitting with mr Ed the guy that got suspended for calling women sluts. what a choice. maybe the rest of MSM was hiding?
  • johnc Lulu's Mom 2012/04/16 17:49:25
    johnc
    ah the evil rich, are the Obamas evil rich also? or is that OK?
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2012/04/14 14:34:28
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    +1
    Hilary Rosen is not the average woman either - who is?
  • Fannie 2012/04/14 00:56:45
    Fannie
    +3
    You have some very accurate information here.......the republican party is expected to pull this kind of crap during an election year.

The money that Ann shares with her husband, it's only made her look more angelic, and is paving the way for her to reach the high heavens, but that is about all it does. halo around blonde hair
  • voice_matters 2012/04/13 23:49:40
    voice_matters
    please tell us all what is the average woman

2014/11/23 02:20:16