High School Valedictorian Delivers Graduation Speech in Spanish: Bueno?

Fef 2012/06/14 20:01:27
Saul Tello Jr. , the Valedictorian at Orestimba High School in Newman, California, asked his principal if he could deliver his graduation speech in Spanish to honor his parents. Principal Jesse Ceja feared that denying Tello's request could violate First Amendment (Free Speech) guaranteed in the US Constitution. The public school allowed Tello to deliver his speech in español.LatinaLista — The two quickest ways to set off a firestorm among anti-immigrant critics is to do one of two things: talk about amnesty or speak Spanish

latinalista quickest ways firestorm anti-immigrant critics talk amnesty speak spanish

Read More: http://latinalista.com/2012/06/latino-high-school-...

• Sofahead 2012/06/14 21:08:42
    Disapprove
    Sofahead
    +7
    We should be a one language country.
    Introducing other languages into things like this causes or reinforces division, and I believe being a one language country promotes greater unity.
    Yes, given our history I think that it should be English.

The Principal is a Politically Correct wimp. Denying someone their First Admendment rights would be to censor what is said, not what language it's said in.

• AvaC Pele Em... 2012/06/15 02:09:35
    AvaC
    +1
    That would have been nice as well but judging by some of the answers I read, that wouldn't sit well with a lot of people.
  • Pele Em... AvaC 2012/06/15 02:16:19
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    Some folks overreact, but really, it would have been far better to do it in both English and Spanish, than to do it only in Spanish. He's obviously bilingual. His parents may be monolingual, which might be why he wanted to give the speech in Spanish, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt to remind him that a lot of people could not understand and enjoy his speech, if he didn't do it in both languages.

It's funny--I lived for a few years in Germany. I knew a family (father was principal baritone for the local opera company) who were American citizens, but whose children attended German schools. They had to learn German. I wonder if they would have even been allowed to give a speech in English, in spite of the fact that many more Germans speak English--quite common there.
  • AvaC Pele Em... 2012/06/15 02:37:25
    AvaC
    +1
    I agree. Doing the entire speech in Spanish would be unfair to the audience to actually enjoy the speech, since chances are most of the people in attendance were English speakers. At the same time, I'm sure his parents want to be able to enjoy it as well and may very well be monolingual. Somehow though, that translates into them being illegals from what I've seen, not only in this question but generally when questions like this come up. O.o

I never saw the harm in learning to speak another language. The level at which you want to learn the language is up to the person. Not sure about the job market there but here they definitely look for people who can speak at least one other language besides English.
  • Pele Em... AvaC 2012/06/15 02:48:27
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    I'm a school librarian and work with many students who are Hispanic. I encourage them to learn to speak English, but to retain Spanish, as well. Many who begin kindergarten only speaking Spanish speak both languages in a few years. What I really love is to see these students come and check out books in Spanish AFTER they're comfortable reading in English, so that they can become literate in both language.
  • AvaC Pele Em... 2012/06/15 02:51:58
    AvaC
    +1
    Very nice... I like that! :)
  • Diana 2012/06/14 22:50:06
    Disapprove
    Diana
    +4
    Does he know we speak English?What about the rest of the students?I think that was stupid of the principle to allow that.It was rude and ignorant for him to ask.Free speech
    would have been in English.
  • Rebel Yell 2012/06/14 22:30:31
    Approve
    Rebel Yell
    +1
    A close friend recently had a new high school named after him. That school will be approximately 60 % Hispanic. What an honor to have a school named after you, so of course I went to the dedication of the new school. There 7 speakers... 4 delivered in Spanish, and three in English, although all speakers were fluent in both languages... very common in Texas. It was a great ceremony. My friend was the last speaker... he delivered in both Spanish and English.

No one was disappointed among the approximately 300 in attendance.
  • Charles E Rebel Yell 2012/06/15 00:41:32
    Charles E
    Glad you enjoyed it. And congradulations to your friend.
  • Libertarian Right 2012/06/14 22:29:36
    Disapprove
    Libertarian Right
    +4
    It's California! Should we REALLY expect anything less???

hippies
  • santa6642 2012/06/14 22:20:07
    Disapprove
    santa6642
    +4
    pure BS
  • M A 2012/06/14 22:11:28
    Disapprove
    M A
    +5
    I would have got up and left
  • Don Leuty 2012/06/14 21:56:18
    Disapprove
    Don Leuty
    +4
    No Bueno. English is the international language of diplomacy... until the Chinese take over. The majority of the taxpayers who funded his education got a giant snub, and didn't understand it. He should have remained neutral and spoken Russian instead.
  • exhon2009 2012/06/14 21:41:33
    Disapprove
    exhon2009
    +3
    I'm fine with portions of the speech in Spanish as a tribute to the kid's parents. I also would have been okay with it if the school offered up simultaneous translation. If I were at a commencement and someone droned on too long in a foreign language I might be inclined to start a protest from the stands. I think that would be covered by the First Amendment as well.
  • Mechelle 2012/06/14 21:30:01
    Disapprove
    Mechelle
    +4
    Disrespectful. This is the USA, now if it were in a Spanish country, more power to them.
  • cheshirewayne 2012/06/14 21:22:02
    Disapprove
    cheshirewayne
    +3
    The speech is about his class, not his parents. He made the grad, but did not learn some of the most important lessons.
  • Jackie 2012/06/14 21:17:07
    Disapprove
    Jackie
    +3
    This is America not spain or mexico, the speach should be done in English
  • Magnus ☮ RP ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/06/14 21:16:19 (edited)
    Disapprove
    Magnus ☮ RP ☮ 2012 ☮
    +4
    I'm wondering where in the hell the "Freedom of Speech" Right for American Citizens, claims that protects in which language the speech is delivered?

This is AMERICA. Speaking English is just a COURTESY to Americans, who speak ENGLISH. The European immigrants had that courtesy, some of my ancestors were Norwegian and came to this Nation LEGALLY through Ellis Island but which language did my grandmother speak because her mother was taught by her mother, that my grandmother taught her daughter, and my mother taught me? ENGLISH! And that goes for all of my European ancestors, INCLUDING the German ones on my father's side. Further proof these Mexican Nationals have NO respect for this Nation and DO NOT want to conform to the AMERICAN CULTURE as WE ALL DID!

And save your PC crap - you can't honestly expect me to believe that during the course of his AMERICAN education, he never learned English. Bull$hit.

I feel very sorry for the English-speaking American Citizens present at their graduation, which will be marred in their memories for the rest of their lives all because some foreign National refused to be courteous and speak OUR language when addressing the rest of the class, the least him and the rest of his ilk could do for footing the bill for so very many of them.

Just disgusting. NO respect... at all.
  • COCO Magnus ... 2012/06/15 03:05:26
  • frank 2012/06/14 21:13:11
    Disapprove
    frank
    +5
    He showed he has complete disrespect for the America and the American langue.
  • Bob, the reasonable one 2012/06/14 21:12:57
    Disapprove
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +4
    he should have given it in two languages if he was giving a speech if I was the principal....I also would have had to review what he was going to say...and keep the speech short....
  • Pele Em... Bob, th... 2012/06/15 01:49:30
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    I agree with that. I wouldn't have had a problem with him giving it in Spanish AND in English, but he also needed to honor the country in which he lived, in addition to honoring his parents. It would have made a touching gesture to do both. Graduations are boring enough without having them in a foreign language, which, like it or not, Spanish is a foreign language in this country.
  • Bob, th... Pele Em... 2012/06/15 02:14:44
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +1
    yeppers!! Once again commonsense should have taken place.....commencement addresses can be sooooooo boring!!!
  • Pele Em... Bob, th... 2012/06/15 02:18:06
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    I'd rather be tied to a red anthill. I always thought I'd go through commencement when I got my masters, as I didn't do it for my BA. My degree was through an accredited but online university and was held in Ohio! Didn't make that one either. LOL!
  • Bob, th... Pele Em... 2012/06/15 02:49:01
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +1
    I didn't show up for my commencement for my Bachelors....I instead fly to Puerto Rico to visit a girlfriend....much more satisfying....LOL
  • Pele Em... Bob, th... 2012/06/15 02:51:19
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    LOL! Especially if it was the one where waterfalls were involved!
  • Bob, th... Pele Em... 2012/06/15 04:21:56
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +1
    yeppers!! :)
  • Pele Em... Bob, th... 2012/06/15 04:33:37
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    You don't know how envious I am of that little scenario! It's my favorite fantasy.
  • Sofahead 2012/06/14 21:08:42
    Disapprove
    Sofahead
    +7
    We should be a one language country.

• Deactivated 2012/06/14 21:05:59
    Approve
    Deactivated
    +2
    Proud of him
  • Fef Deactiv... 2012/06/14 21:09:44
    Fef
    +4
    I think his parents would feel prouder if their son spoke in the language of the country that the school taught.
  • Mechelle Fef 2012/06/14 21:32:53
    Mechelle
    +5
    His parents are more than likely illegals and can't speak English. He was just disrespectful.
  • Deactiv... Fef 2012/06/18 16:53:22
    Deactivated
    :( well he could have done both but I still like the fact he did it in his language
  • Savior 2012/06/14 21:02:55
    Approve
    Savior
    +1
    If the didn't want him to speak in Spanish then they shouldn't have made him Valedictorian, and if his successes merited it than there's nothing wrong with making him valedictorian.
  • Fef Savior 2012/06/14 21:10:16
    Fef
    +3
    I don't see the connection of making him Valedictorian and speaking in Spanish?
  • Mechelle Savior 2012/06/14 21:46:20
    Mechelle
    +3
    What? If the kid earned the spot then great! But there were other kids who earned their diplomas and deserved to UNDERSTAND the speach. The majority are English speaking and that was a total lack of respect to the others.
  • COCO Mechelle 2012/06/15 02:50:03
    COCO
    +1
    Indeed.
  • Mike Savior 2012/06/14 21:55:57
    +5
    Total disrespect for the American system
  • Savior Mike 2012/06/15 00:57:07
    Savior
    I didn't know how many people were anti-diversity.
  • Mike Savior 2012/06/15 20:16:10
    +1
    Anti American
  • Jorge Enriquez 2012/06/14 20:59:49
    Approve
    Jorge Enriquez
    Esta bien para mi....
    Sorry...i know

2014/10/02 08:41:58