Hey, Liberals and Hippies, do you thank a solider when you see one?

Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2012/07/05 02:22:36
Related Topics: Liberals, War, Liberal
I am a liberal and despite the belief many SodaHeads have about liberals hating this country, I thank a solider every chance I get. I will say thank you, and make sure my boys say thank you.

I have also been known to buy their lunch, dinner or coffee, at that the times I can afford to do so.

My cousin is currently in Afghanistan right now, and the boys and I send him care packages and drawings.

Awhile ago my friend's brother was deployed and his unit adopted a dog. We managed to get enough donations to send over dog food and supplies, stuff for him unit and the cost to bring the dog home.

So how do you thank a solider?

Note, please keep this positive. Negativity will be dealt with in the form of blocking.

thank you

• Nameless 2012/07/16 14:40:50 (edited)
    I say thanks whenever I can.
    Nameless
    +1
    I go out of my), way to thank our military men and women. My great grandfatherx7 (I think it's that far back was David Crockett. (My paternal great grandmother's last name was Crockett and I traced back to David Crockett. Yes, THE David Crockett. My grandfather's cousin was General Douglas MacArthur. My great uncle died in the skies over the UK and his name is now on a statue in Scotland (I believe). My parents were both in the US Navy during Korea and Viet Nam. My uncle was the US Army in Viet Nam. Another uncle served in the US Air Force. Cousins served in Panama and Grenada in the US Navy. My brother served in the USMC. My nephew was a SAW gunner in Iraq and took care of logistics in Afghanistan. I was going to join the USN back when I was younger, but I had been hit by a car when I was a kid and my knees were shot... I was so close to heading to basic training - and so excited - that I already had my mother's anchor pin shined and ready to go.

I am as liberal as they come. I help vets all the time via charities and personally. So, those who think that libs don't care about vets can shut up.
  • Artemis ~PHAET 2012/07/06 23:32:14
    Though I don't support the war, I do support the solider.
    Artemis ~PHAET
    +1
    I've currently got a soldier crashing on my couch. He's been here for over a month. His ex cleaned out his bank account and kicked him out while he was away. He didn't have anywhere to go, and he's a friend, so my fiance and I took him in. He's got a place to sleep and shower, and I cook, so he's good until he can get enough cash together to find his own place.
  • leslie 2012/07/05 18:29:06
    I say thanks whenever I can.
    leslie
    +1
    Always have and always will. when I worked at the Cleveland Airport, I spent, probably 2 out of my eight hours (acummulativly (sp) Seeking them out near my store and thanking them, approaching them in the food court (while on my break) or buying them their food.
    @ aneed2know Regardless of the war OLDER OR YOUNG THE words do mean something. The act of approaching a young Soldier Airman, Sailor or Marine (Iraq/Afghanistan)is one of respect and appreciation, a symbol of "I support you and your efforts,Take Care be safe and Come back home.
    The act of approaching an older Soldier, Airman, Sailor or Marine is one of respect appreciation and gratitude and in the case of the Vietnam Vets it is a Welcome Home that THEY NEVER GOT BUT SHOULD HAVE.
    I find it unconscionable that people do not openly thank a military member when they see them.

returning military

thanking returning military at the airport
  • elijahin24 2012/07/05 12:29:24
    elijahin24
    +1
    I'm actually both a Liberal and a Soldier. I find it kind of weird telling my fellow OEF/OIF vets "thank you", for doing the same job I do. However, when I see a Vietnam Vet, I always thank them. I tell them that, like them, I served in an unpopular war (Iraq). But unlike them, Nobody spat in my face when I got home. Mostly what people say is "I think the war is wrong, but I appreciate you defending our country". I don't think that would be the case, if we hadn't been so rocked by the way that people treated the Nam Vets when they got home. So I thank them for paying the price for me.
  • Hsmagst 2012/07/05 12:17:52
    I say thanks whenever I can.
    Hey, CONNYS AND TEABAGGERS. do YOU thank a solider when you see one?
  • Pat 2012/07/05 07:32:04
    +1
    I have thanked soldiers when I see them. I lost my Marine godson to Iraq. BTW, I'm a liberal progressive. So was he.
  • aneed2know 2012/07/05 07:20:41
    aneed2know
    And saying thank you means what, how about showing our thanks by not cutting off funding to VA hospitals or not cutting funding to their children's healthcare plan, or how about not getting into wars we dont have to, or how about showing them that this country is worth fighting for, and by that i mean not just for corporations but for everyone?

That is how you say thank you, words are cheap, as we saw leading up to the Iraq war and now.
  • Melicio... aneed2know 2012/07/05 15:27:35
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    Words are only cheap if they don't come from the heart. Sometimes words can mean the world to a person, turning a bad day into a good one.

Yes, some policies need to be changed, but that doesn't mean words do not have power.
  • Scream 2012/07/05 06:01:33
    Scream
    +1
    But I don't say thanks when I see them. I've probably only seen two or three soldiers in real life anyway.
  • katywon 2012/07/05 05:10:49
    I say thanks whenever I can.
    katywon
    +1
    Just don't run into too many these days. But did see a large number of Marines at a special event and they were given many thank you's.
  • #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2012/07/05 04:34:52
    I say thanks whenever I can.
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +2
    As a left-leaning Independent I am very thankful for the sacrifices our military personnel make on our behalf. It matters not to me if they agree with my political leanings. I will always be grateful & have taught my children the same.
  • Archer ~ The Limit Break of... 2012/07/05 04:22:57
    I say thanks whenever I can.
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    +3
    Of course I say thanks. I don't support the war (and I probably should have clicked that) but I DO support our troops. My dad is a Nam Vet, my cousin was in the Coast Guard, one of my friends is trying to join the Coast Guard, I have two coworkers in the Air Force.... yeah. OF COURSE I support the troops, and I'll thank soldiers when and wherever I can. I also contributed to a few care packages that went over to combat troops. :-) If memory serves me right, a local place had 'Operation Pork Roll Drop' (yeah, yeah, it's a 'jersey' thing. haven't had pork roll? google and order yourself some porky deliciousness) going on a few years back, which was fun. :-)
  • Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of ... 2012/07/05 03:25:54
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
  • Melicio... Latti I... 2012/07/05 03:27:43
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +3
    But it is a "good Christian with family values and morals."
  • Latti I... Melicio... 2012/07/05 03:29:04 (edited)
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +4
    Yup; to call people who died and protected this country, even though they weren't given the same humanity is pathetic. I guess they would block a grenade for a McRib sandwich.
  • #Justic... Latti I... 2012/07/05 04:41:12
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +4
    THAT low-life. Yet IT has the nerve to call "herself" a "good & moral Christian." IN THE PIG'S EYE (as my mother used to say.
  • Latti I... #Justic... 2012/07/05 04:43:47
  • #Justic... Latti I... 2012/07/05 04:49:50
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +3
    I'd love to shove a cadaver's "knee" up IT'S anus & see if it "grows!"
  • Latti I... #Justic... 2012/07/05 04:51:55
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +3
    Careful Guru; she or whatever it is, is trying to get people deactivated.
  • #Justic... Latti I... 2012/07/05 05:13:03
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +3
    Tru dat my dear friend.
  • tttttttt #Justic... 2012/07/05 15:47:41
  • #Justic... Latti I... 2012/07/05 20:23:39
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +2
    I see a "sock" was created to come at my head. So glad my friends turned that joker in & it was deactivated promptly. I sure am glad I've got great friends who have my back.
  • Linnster 2012/07/05 03:24:52
    Linnster
    +2
    I do more than just say "thanks." I have several soldiers whom I support with care packages deployment after deployment and others whom I have supported with packages since Desert Storm. It isn't a matter of liberal, democrat, conservative, republican - it's a matter of showing your support for the men and women who volunteer to do whatever is asked of them to keep this country safe.
  • Melicio... Linnster 2012/07/05 03:28:01
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +2
    Well said.
  • Linnster Melicio... 2012/07/05 03:36:55
    Linnster
    +2
    Thank you. :)
  • Jester M.S. 2012/07/05 03:01:54
    I say thanks whenever I can.
    Jester M.S.
    +3
    I am an independent, but I always try to pass along positive sentiments to military people. I am a currently a Sheriff's Deputy and about half our guys are ex-military, national guard, reserves, etc. so I get lots of interaction with them.
  • Melicio... Jester ... 2012/07/05 03:09:40
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +3
    Awesome job. :)
  • C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT 2012/07/05 02:45:16
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +3
    Happy July 4th!
  • Melicio... C-ZAR™,... 2012/07/05 02:46:29
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +2
    Thanks, you too hon, I hope you have a good holiday and stay safe.
  • C-ZAR™,... Melicio... 2012/07/05 02:51:50
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +4
    Don't think I don't notice you not being on mah pollz, lol
  • Melicio... C-ZAR™,... 2012/07/05 03:09:30
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +2
    Aww... I've been missed?
  • C-ZAR™,... Melicio... 2012/07/05 03:17:01
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +3
    Very, lol
  • Melicio... C-ZAR™,... 2012/07/05 03:17:55
  • C-ZAR™,... Melicio... 2012/07/05 03:20:56
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +3
    That's pretty! ;-)
  • Melicio... C-ZAR™,... 2012/07/05 03:22:43
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +2
    Yes, I thought so, but it is supposed to convey sadness, lol.
  • Che Guevara - Hero 2012/07/05 02:33:13 (edited)
    I say thanks whenever I can.
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +3
    Thank you
  • Sinpac Che Gue... 2012/07/05 02:39:17
    Sinpac
    +2
    His post is corrected now
  • I'm A TeenageDirtbag 2012/07/05 02:31:12
    I'm A TeenageDirtbag
    +3
    Yes I always Thank the Soliders :D They came a long way
    Amen!!

thanks vertans
  • Sinpac 2012/07/05 02:27:24 (edited)
    I say thanks whenever I can.
    Sinpac

2014/12/17 21:34:20