Hey conservatives, you do realize Kool-Aid is a widely stereotypical and racist comment?

Connor Pope 2009/08/26 02:14:20
Edit- For some information I forgot to add, the word itself isn't racist, some people didn't seem to understand that, what I mean (obviously) was when people use it like "Drink the kool-aid you liberals/conservatives" and things like that, it is a racist term, whether or not you meant it that way.

Because I've met people who didn't know that and it appalled me! Those who lived during the James-Town incident will probably see it as a reference to that, but my generation and many others will agree with me, it is widely racist.

Ask any person in Boston or other places what Black people drink and you will get "Kool-Aid" as an answer, just like the stereotypical "KFC Chicken" and "Watermelon" answers.

Although you guys may not use it for racism, it is most definitely a racist term and I suggest you either stop using it or you will be called a racist for it.

PLUS Kool-Aid wasn't used in the Jamestown Murdors, Flavor-Aid was... a Cheap Knockoff.

And yes, it is a racist term, I'm not going to respond to comments that say "Oh the racist card huh?" because this is obviously a stereotype, the older generations might not know that, but I know I do, everyone in my school does, most people in my great city of Boston do, and most people I've met know it.

If you still don't believe it is a racist term then thats great for you, but you will get shit for it.

• Magic Twanger 2009/08/26 07:41:14
    No, I didn't know that
    Magic Twanger
    +4
    Calling a person a Kool-Aid Drinker is not racist, only a stupid person would think that was so. It is used to demean a person for blindly following a loser by "Drinking the Kool-Aid" which is a reference to Jim Jones another guy with a Messiah Complex, just like Obummer.

If I said only Niggers drink his Kool-Aid. That is a racist statement, it is a stupid statement. I eat fried chicken, KFC, Watermelon, and fried okra and I'm lilly white so get off the rasest thinking, it just makes you sound stupid.

• Sam George 2013/07/23 03:39:26
    No, I didn't know that
    Sam George
    C'mon, guys. The post is intended as a joke - so far out there that no reasonable person could buy it. Trying to make the point that pretty much anything can be twisted into a "racist" comment if you try hard enough. BTW, he's right about Kool-Aid not being the offending agent in Jonestown. But wrong about it being Flavor-Aid. Correct spelling is Flavr-Aid.
  • LadyLogician 2013/07/22 21:57:39
    No, I didn't know that
    LadyLogician
    No it is NOT racist. And is also not JAMES-town it was JONEStown. Maybe if you would learn a little history, you would know that. Not everything in this world is racist to anyone but someone who is racist. Maybe you need to follow the President's advise and look in the mirror and do some soul searching and root out the racism in you own heart before you look for it in others
  • Dave 2013/07/22 20:50:28
    No, I didn't know that
    Dave
    +1
    This expression simply refers to people who blindly and willingly accept something as fact and willingly do what they're told. It's an excellent analogy and applies to people across the political spectrum. It has nothing to do with race and is not racist in the least. Enough with the fulltime professional whiners who make up stuff to keep them selves busy. Get a life.
  • robby.cunningham.5 2013/07/22 20:39:54
  • Chris Philips 2013/07/22 20:38:13
    No, I didn't know that
    Chris Philips
    +1
    "Those who lived during the James-Town incident will probably see it as a reference to that..."
    Because it IS a reference to that, chucklehead. You race-baiters will find ANY excuse to be offended. Fine- here's something offensive: You'll never amount to jack and will live off the public dole all your life because you're so busy being offended you'll never have time to educate yourself about personal responsibility and the joy of seeing a project to completion. I'll even throw in some terms for you to add to your "racist word" collection:

throw-out bearing
    bollard
    diametrically
    verge
    macaroon
    ambulatory

OK, jackass- go to town.
  • Jeff McCabe 2013/07/22 20:32:11
    No, I didn't know that
    Jeff McCabe
    This is idiotic. The ONLY reason it is a phrase is because of Jamestown. It doesnt matter if they actually used it or not, the common usage of the phrase is directly due to Jamestown. If you and your generations think otherwise, then you and your generation need to work on your cultural education. Kool Aid is not and has never been a drink associated only with black people. What is wrong with you?
  • bradley.eggleston.3 2012/10/31 02:59:47
    No, I didn't know that
    bradley.eggleston.3
    +1
    This is false. The reference comes from the Jones town massacre and is a reference as to blindly follow regardless of how insane it may be. Really grasping at straws to say this has anything to do with race when it has a documented history. Sorry to bust that bubble.
  • dustin.isaacs.9 2012/10/04 17:02:19
    No, I didn't know that
    dustin.isaacs.9
    +1
    The only racist demagog here is your quick connection to the stereotype.
  • Tsisquaya 2009/08/29 00:59:24
    No, I didn't know that
    Tsisquaya
    +2
    And did you know apple is racist also?

If we aren't able to use any words without someone telling us that it's racist no matter our intentions, then we might as well resort to sign language...one that I would predominantly use would be my middle finger.

So if I call my daughter a kool-aid drinker, I'm racist and even if that wasn't my intention, I should cease using the word altogether because someone else who is either too politically correct or too self conscious feels as though I am speaking to them?

I don't think so. Just like it doesn't raise my eyebrows when someone says the word apple...or Injun..squaw..red nigger...caveman, primitive, heathen, savage, etc. words are just that. They only have the power to inflict pain and shame if you allow it to.
  • Connor ... Tsisquaya 2009/08/29 01:40:49
    Connor Pope
    +2
    You are correct, they have the power to inflict pain only if you allow it to, the words, even without a racial context, still inflict those same things when you call a whole group of people "brain-washed". Either way its bad in both sides, what you may think it says isn't what I think it is said but both still hurt.
  • Tsisquaya Connor ... 2009/08/29 01:48:47
    Tsisquaya
    +2
    I understand that Connor and I don't expect others to brush it off like I do. I grew up with racism and prejudice and so do my children...we just brush it off and move on because we know our actions speak for themselves and will prove the racist words untrue.
    But I also understand that it may hurt others. They can either do two things, brush it off or they can speak up. For those that say, "I'm offended by that", I do take it seriously and will respect their feelings. If we were all like that, I think there wouldn't be so much misunderstanding or anger. Respect is seriously lacking...
    But hey! Someone wants to call me red nigger or something, more power to ya! To me it just shows ignorance and intolerance...things I can do without.
  • Connor ... Tsisquaya 2009/08/29 01:53:28
    Connor Pope
    +2
    Yeah, I usually laugh at it or Brush it off, I see no offense in anyone calling anyone a racial term, usually it's funny to me. But I agree, if someone gets mad at me for using a racial term or if I talk about it like I am in this topic and they get offended, I will immediately stop.
  • Tsisquaya Connor ... 2009/08/29 01:57:39
    Tsisquaya
    +1
    It's because you are respectful and there is nothing wrong with that!!! Too bad more people aren't like that.
    And like you, I've learned to either laugh it off or brush it off. My circle of friends know we can joke to each other, even I will talk about scalping someone and laugh about it. I try to poke fun at the stereotypes because that seems to put people at ease and we're able to approach the subject and discuss it. I don't want anyone to feel that they cannot say something to me or that they have to walk on eggshells. How are we discuss the heart of the matter if we were all to do that?
  • Connor ... Tsisquaya 2009/08/29 01:59:10
    Connor Pope
    +1
    That's exactly how me and my friends are, we always use the stereotypes, even on ourselves sometimes and we know we are joking. Usually it grows to a hilarious conversation or something worth remembering.

And yes, we need more respectful people who will stop as soon as the other person gets offended.
  • Tsisquaya Connor ... 2009/08/29 02:08:33
    Tsisquaya
    +1
    Exactly!!! Needs to be more people like yourself Connor!!!

Now lemme get back to my frybread and hominy. *winks*
  • Connor ... Tsisquaya 2009/08/29 02:09:47
    Connor Pope
    +1
    Haha sweetness! And thanks! you to :D
  • mstock 2009/08/27 19:01:42
    Yes, I knew that
    mstock
    +2
    But why perpetuate it as that? Some things are, racist no matter how you say them (such as the 'n' word), some things are only as racist as you decide they are. Like kool-aid.

How about this, do you know where the political term "drink the kool-aid" came from?

It comes from the mass suicide of the Jim Jones' cult. In politics, this simply means that the drinker is brainwashed, ready to "commit suicide" (ie do something really really stupid) at the call of their leader.
  • Connor ... mstock 2009/08/27 19:11:03
    Connor Pope
    I know where it comes from, and I know why people use it (I still think its disrespectful to use it in that term anyways, it's essentially "ripping" on all the people who died in the Jim Jones' cult)
  • mstock Connor ... 2009/08/29 05:22:45 (edited)
    mstock
    +1
    I never said it wasn't disrespectful. Its just not racist.
    The things is, the people in the news, they aren't using it in a racist manner.

When it comes to kool-aid, the only racists are the one's who apply a race to the term.
  • Connor ... mstock 2009/08/29 13:01:37
    Connor Pope
    They are still using it in a matter that pretty much devalues the lives lost in the Jones-town murders.

You are only half correct about the second thing though, everyone is a little bit racist, but some people grew up in different places where certain words had a racial context. I grew up where kool-aid is stereotypical and racial of blacks, you obviously didn't grow up that way.
  • mstock Connor ... 2009/08/29 20:30:11
    mstock
    +1
    Actually, I grew up where that stereotype is used A LOT. Please, don't assume you know my life or how I grew up just because I disagree with you. Kool-Aid is Kool-Aid, a drink. Kool-Aid is not racist. Only people are racist. Kool-Aid does not have a racial context unless people give it one.

Again, I never said saying "drinking the kool-aid" wasn't disrespectful. I'm still only saying its not racist. Though, it should be clarified, they weren't murders, it was mass suicide.
  • Connor ... mstock 2009/08/29 23:46:52
    Connor Pope
    I never said the word itself was Racist Mstock, since that seems to be what you are applying, I'm saying when you call people "A Kool-Aid Drinker", "Drink the Kool-Aid", Etc I will consider it racist. I never said I knew where you grew up, It seemed "obvious" to me you didn't but I was wrong and I'll admit it was a stupid assumption.

When someone puts poison into a drink he is killing the people who drink it, technically it was murders but lets just go with Mass-Suicide. Personally I think its wrong when people do that.
  • Chris P... Connor ... 2013/07/22 20:43:30
    Chris Philips
    +1
    Those people died (children excepted- they were the only innocents) because they were too meek to think for themselves. The term is absolutely appropriate for those who follow the herd instead of thinking for themselves. If the claim is that it applies to a particular race, then it's the claimant who's racist.
  • H22CRX 2009/08/27 03:19:08 (edited)
  • Connor ... H22CRX 2009/08/27 03:20:28
    Connor Pope
    Yep, stereotypical black jokes are always KFC Chicken, Watermelon, and Kool-Aid
  • Orangedragan 2009/08/27 02:54:49
    Yes, I knew that
    Orangedragan
    +1
    who DR'd you? seriously, you cant DR facts
  • Connor ... Oranged... 2009/08/27 02:56:08
    Connor Pope
    Oh my someone DR'ed me? I didn't even know that. Haha yeah, DRing facts just shows ignorance.
  • ɟʇʇoɔs 2009/08/27 00:31:59
    Yes, I knew that
    ɟʇʇoɔs
    +1
    And it is not about racism. It is about the wackos who blindly worship and follow Komrade Obama
  • Connor ... ɟʇʇoɔs 2009/08/27 00:49:03
    Connor Pope
    Oh man... I was going to post a witty response but you just weren't worth the time so good bye.
  • Magic Twanger 2009/08/26 07:41:14
    No, I didn't know that
    Magic Twanger
    +4

• Connor ... Magic T... 2009/08/26 12:32:06
    Connor Pope
    You don't get it, calling a person a Kool-Aid Drinker is in-fact a racist remark, saying "I like to eat Kool-Aid" is obviously not racist, it all depends on the context in which you use it.

You probably didn't know that it was a racist remark because you are 62 years old, times have changed.
  • Magic T... Connor ... 2009/08/26 15:24:11
    Magic Twanger
    +1
    I don't care, it is NOT a racist remark, and if it is, so what?
  • Connor ... Magic T... 2009/08/26 20:56:27
    Connor Pope
    If you don't care then you wouldn't be arguing with it, if it wasn't a Racist remark then no one in the world would be using it as a racial stereotype, but wait! People DO use it as such, therefore what I'm saying is correct, it may not be "racial" in your town, or where you live, or in your mind, however it is a stereotypical racist term in my town when used in certain context.
  • Magic T... Connor ... 2009/08/27 00:13:39 (edited)
    Magic Twanger
    +2
    OK but you are using it wrong, being a Kool-Aid Drinker is not in and of itself a racist term. If someone is a Kool-Aid drinker, they are a blind follower, nothing else and more. Besides calling a shoe a loaf of bread doesn't make it so.

Calling someone a racist has become a useless endeavor, it is seldom true, and it makes you look like a mind numbed Kool-Aid drinker for the cause. Nothing more, just a stupid blind follower.

racist endeavor true mind numbed kool-aid drinker stupid blind follower
  • Connor ... Magic T... 2009/08/27 00:27:18
    Connor Pope
    I am not using it wrong, at all, there is no way to "use it wrong". Being a Kool-Aid drinker isn't racist, calling a group of people kool-aid drinkers or saying it in that context is racist. It may not have been meant in a racist way however it is still racist.
  • Magic T... Connor ... 2009/08/27 00:49:11
    Magic Twanger
    +2
    OK fine have it your way, you are dead wrong, but have it your way. Like my daddy was fond of saying you have the right to be wrong.
  • Connor ... Magic T... 2009/08/27 00:51:22
    Connor Pope
    Say that all you want, but you are not fully correct in this argument. Either way, people will still use it as a stereotype of black people, and that in itself makes it racist.
  • Magic T... Connor ... 2009/08/27 01:20:11
    Magic Twanger
    Do you actually think I care?
  • Connor ... Magic T... 2009/08/27 01:20:51
    Connor Pope
    If you didn't care then you wouldn't have argued this whole time, so yes, you do care, and don't say you don't because that's called lying.
  • boomer 2009/08/26 04:44:33
    No, I didn't know that
    boomer
    +2
    aww, look at all these racists... aren't they terrible... they should just let this man completely transform this society as fast as he pleases, regardless of what's in the Constitution... ya, it's all Bush's fault anyways right? I mean, the guy was terrible, and Obama has no choice but to continue his policies and ruin the nation at an even more accelerated rate doesn't he?

2014/10/31 10:25:53