Herman Cain doesn't believe we need any Minimum Wage. How good do you think that's going to go over with low income people?

matt 2011/10/26 05:29:46
I like the man.. Like many of his views, but we need to have some standards... I bet he would say that no one would work for that low of wage but he is wrong. people are desperate and need money. I think that alone would lose him the election if he went against Obama.

• Fef 2011/10/26 05:32:44
    He won't get their votes
    Fef
    +4
    Low income earners will continue earning low wages if they believe in Democrat demagogues.

Minimum wage laws hurt the poor the most. Studies repeatedly show what common sense suggests: regulating wages hurts businesses and their employees.

• Zeruke 2011/10/27 02:06:11 (edited)
    He won't get their votes
    Zeruke
    so would that mean we will use halfpennies so companies pay workers $0.005 a day?

but hay it might help but i havent done much research on the whole minimum wage set up as in pros and cons
  • ShortyDoWop 2011/10/26 22:07:35
    He won't get their votes
    ShortyDoWop
    +1
    i canb tell you that from a low income person's perspective, is he a freakin idiot?!
  • matt ShortyD... 2011/10/26 22:26:58
    matt
    +1
    I guess so.. I mean read history. perhaps when can change something to get people low paying jobs if they need something but I dont know how that will work in a capitalist system. America used to have sweat shops and pay nothing if they could.
  • flaca BN-0 2011/10/26 19:07:56
    He won't get their votes
    flaca BN-0
    The problem with paying a wage which is so low that people can't survive on it means that government (federal and state) end up forking out additional money to cover necessities that impoverished people need. They will qualify for food stamps and other handouts and free school meals for their kids.
    There is a line where a person has to pay rent and food prices and anyone would think minimum wage was a huge salary when many can barely make it even on existing min. wage.
  • **StarzAbove** 2011/10/26 14:56:39
    He won't get their votes
    **StarzAbove**
    Sounds like the Koch brothers are pulling his strings again.
  • Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO 2011/10/26 12:50:32
    He won't get their votes
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    He's not after their votes. He is playing to the "job creators" base who would love to pay sub-human wages.
  • Katherine 2011/10/26 12:38:58
    He won't get their votes
    Katherine
    The left will surely exploit it, use propaganda, our leftist media will defend whoever exploits it, and like the lemmings society has become, they'll fall for the stupidity.

The thing is, by what authority did the government decide it can dictate the practices of private business? I don't get how they've become involved. No one forces you to work somewhere, you can choose. Why don't they get to choose, too?

After a lot of thought, minimum wages really hurt a lot of people -- those that comprise a business, and those that seek work at their business. That business has been given no choice at which they can set their lowest wages. So that means they're going to be very careful who they hire because they want to get their $8 (CA) worth. They don't want to pay that much for a person who could potentially only provide half the value in their work and sink their business. So job seekers keep having to look around. It deprives grossly under-qualified people from getting a chance.

Like I said, no one is forcing you to take the job. Wages are between you and your employer, theoretically. You could start a job at $5 an hour and renegotiate later. You've proven yourself an asset, you approach your boss, you ask for an increase. Maybe they say no, in spite of increasing sales or imp...

Like I said, no one is forcing you to take the job. Wages are between you and your employer, theoretically. You could start a job at $5 an hour and renegotiate later. You've proven yourself an asset, you approach your boss, you ask for an increase. Maybe they say no, in spite of increasing sales or improving their business. You go searching for another job that pays better, they see what you've done and could really use your talents. They accept you and you give your boss two-week's notice.

Worth is arbitrary. You're worth what someone is willing to pay you. I could look at a work of art and say I wouldn't pay a dime for it, but someone else would pay a million. Make yourself a commodity. The only thing this is doing is ushering in such an age of entitlement that's ruining business, productivity, opportunities and success.
  • Classical Liberal 2011/10/26 11:05:43
    He won't get their votes
    Classical Liberal
    the thing is, he's right. Jobs for unskilled, low-pay workers are limited by minimum wage laws. That's why it's not uncommon to see illegals hired for much of that work.
    He won't get their votes
    Not getting mine either.
  • TedStevens 2011/10/26 07:24:54
    He won't get their votes
    TedStevens
    I'm not voting for him. But minimum wage should be done away with. Nuff said.
  • Luca 2011/10/26 06:33:37
    They won't care
    Luca
    +2
    Many studies have shown that "minimum wage" mandates actually hurt the economy and the unemployed more than it helps it. The youth are the one hardest hit by minimum wage standards. They often live at home,and this is just "play"money for them...but, they cannot get a job because as times get tough, an employer may decide NOT to hire someone for that menial position,and just delegate for others. Whereas if he could pay someone $6 dollars an hour to answer the phone, he might reconsider.

(that's one aspect...there was more to it than this..it is all i can remember accurately off the top of my head at the moment)
  • TedStevens Luca 2011/10/26 07:32:41
    TedStevens
    -A minimum wage limits the amount of low tech-jobs available.
    -A minimum wage hurts those who bust their ass earning the same as other people that do the minimum required (if not less)
    -A minimum wage lowers the amount of incentives an employer can offer [low-tech] employees for increased productivity.
    -A minimum wage demotivates the hardest workers
    -A lot of low-tech wage earners are offered little to no raises regardless of performance, and the raises they receive are laughable to them; at best.

Just a few of my experiences in low-tech positions.
  • Luca TedStevens 2011/10/26 07:43:22
    Luca
    +2
    but...there are today's economic realities...and the one thing people seem to forget is that most business is SMALL business...and the things they talk about or rules they apply...do not relate one bit to small business...so consider the small business today:

Recently, the Census Bureau released a report which showed that the income of the typical American household fell 6.4 percent in inflation adjusted terms since 2007, the last pre-recession year. Not good.

But for the self-employed, the numbers are far worse. Between 2007 and 2010, the median income of a household headed by a self-employed person dropped 15.4 percent in real terms.

Compared to 2006 when real median income for households headed by those in business for themselves hit their post 2002 peak, the numbers are worse still. While real median income at households of wage earners fell only 1.3 percent between 2006 and 2010, the decline was a whopping 17.4 percent households of the self-employed

Moreover, real household income increased for those working for wages between 2009 (when the recession ended) and 2010. But it continued to decline for the self-employed, albeit by only 0.7 percent.

With this hit to their income, should we be surprised that few people in business for themselves are hiring these days?

Also...the nat...

Also...the national average income for the small business person is $100,000. Take the decline off that, add all the liability and responsibility...there just is not very much to go around. The OWNER is making much less today...so if a person wants a job...any job...they ought to consider taking less too.

person 100000 decline add liability responsibility owner person job job
  • historian 2011/10/26 06:05:29
    They won't care
    historian
    +1
    People will work for whatever and accept the most horrible treatments if they need the job as it is. The truth is, if an employer is paying you minimum wage, it means you're worth the minimum amount they -have- to pay you in the first place. It's already offensive.
  • Eddie L~PWCM~JLA 2011/10/26 05:49:15
    He won't get their votes
    Eddie L~PWCM~JLA
    He doesn't expect their votes, he knows they're brainwashed.
  • C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT 2011/10/26 05:39:32
    They won't care
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    I'm not voting for that CLOWN anyway--he's really playing that fiddle the way his GOP Masters want him to!
  • Jay Theyme 2011/10/26 05:36:12
    They won't care
    Jay Theyme
    I'm split between the two and tend to agree with you in principle (I think we do need a minimum wage, at least, for now) but I think this doesn't really affect his votes with low income people, overall.
    Some yes but others no. So that's all i could say and suppose.

But yeah, 999 is something that could happen.
    But abolishing a minimum wage rule... nope. I think its just something 'in principle' or 'idea' but couldn't ever happen.
  • Fef 2011/10/26 05:32:44
    He won't get their votes
    Fef
    +4

• matt Fef 2011/10/26 05:35:48
    matt
    Common sense? Could you explain the common sense part. common sense tells me a lot of people will try to get away with paying next to nothing in small business. Isn't that bad?
  • Fef matt 2011/10/26 05:47:19
    Fef
    Mmon sense escapes the Left, which explains why they depend on Big Government nanny state.

Good businesses depend on keeping employees by paying them competitive wages.

Bad businesses will fail (unless Big Government bails them out).
  • matt Fef 2011/10/26 05:58:10
    matt
    Hmm.. OK I will think about that.. You have probably been around nicer people then me.. I don't trust much.. I guess it would work out as long as it doesn't go the other way. But I don have to look at our biggest employer... Wal-mart. I wonder what they would pay and if that is living wages?
  • C-ZAR™,... Fef 2011/10/26 05:38:24
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    They do, but Businesses seem to make a killing, I wonder what they would pay if the Government didn't make them even pay the MINIMUM? lol
  • matt C-ZAR™,... 2011/10/26 05:45:57
    matt
    +1
    That's Cains plan. guess we dont have to work for him unless all the bossiness's figure to lower their wages. Then we are screwed.
  • keymanjim C-ZAR™,... 2011/10/26 05:47:55
    keymanjim
    +1
    Probably what they are worth. Duh.
  • C-ZAR™,... keymanjim 2011/10/26 05:54:18
  • Fef C-ZAR™,... 2011/10/26 05:49:54
    Fef
    +1
    Businesses have failed in this bad economy.

Businesess don't have the choice of paying employees a wage that employees will agree upon.

The Left wants lolipos and rainbows.
    Conservatives want freedom and liberty.
  • C-ZAR™,... Fef 2011/10/26 05:59:51
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    maybe businesses that can't compete with mega-giant corporations, I am sure a few dollars more per hour will make working class folks happy
  • TedStevens C-ZAR™,... 2011/10/26 07:39:54 (edited)
  • C-ZAR™,... TedStevens 2011/10/26 16:59:37
  • TedStevens C-ZAR™,... 2011/10/26 17:48:02 (edited)
    TedStevens
    +1
    Most companies that I've heard or seen outsource have done so per the actions of unions (whose members are typically paid far more than minimum wage).
  • C-ZAR™,... TedStevens 2011/10/26 17:57:18
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +1
    You've "heard"? lol--you mean "or so they tell you"?
    swing by, no politics please
    http://www.sodahead.com/fun/h...
  • TedStevens C-ZAR™,... 2011/10/26 18:02:54
    TedStevens
    +1
    You got me there. I will actually have to do research now :(

I'd like to see businesses outsources low-tech jobs, nost are service based(retail, fast food, etc.)
  • matt Fef 2011/10/26 05:43:23
    matt
    +2
    I like Ron Paul and his cutting costs plan . I have some friends that just dont like his pulling the all the military out of Korea at least. I do like Herman Cain, but want more info on the 999 plan as I am one of the lower 99%. still sounds like fancy talk that won't work and we get stuck again by the government. and of course I wish he would do some of the stuff Ron Paul is talking about too. WE need to fix this budget problem.
  • Shawee Fef 2011/10/26 07:49:53
    Shawee
    Its impossible to say a low income worker will continue to earn low income wages (under Democrats) as if they would be better off without minimum wage laws. They earn minuman wage for a reason. However it would help businesses hire more employees.
  • Toby 2011/10/26 05:31:29 (edited)
    They won't care
    Toby
    Minimum wage is right up my alley , and I know he said that crap but I don't think it matters because congress would not allow him to pass any radical anti-minimum wage nonsense

Plus he sort of makes up with 9-9-9 making used items (Cars , house , etc) tax free , that saves thousands

Course some say 9-9-9 is too radical for congress to pass either but if he wins the election when that was his main thing I think they really will do it
  • matt Toby 2011/10/26 05:33:09
    matt
    +1
    you might be right about not being able to pass it.
  • Toby matt 2011/10/26 05:43:22
    Toby
    Btw I'm sure he only says that cause he wants to pay 14 year olds a nickel an hour to make his pizzas .............
  • Fef Toby 2011/10/26 05:34:41
    Fef
    +1
    Finally a man with courage to really shake up the staus quo in DC comes along and the Dmes shoot him down. They should herald Herman Cain for his Change that will give us Hope.

2014/07/31 11:47:52