HELP THE ACLU DEFEND VOTING RIGHTS

Skeptikat 2012/09/15 21:33:57
HELP THE ACLU DEFEND VOTING RIGHTS

States across the country are passing measures that make it harder and harder for Americans – particularly African-Americans, the elderly, students and people with disabilities – to exercise their fundamental right to cast a ballot. These measures include requiring a government-issued photo ID to vote and proof of citizenship to register, cutting back on early voting, eliminating Election Day registration, new restrictions on voter registration drives and additional barriers to voting for people with criminal convictions. The map below outlines which states passed voter suppression measures since January 1, 2011 and where the right to vote remains under siege today.
vote
The ACLU’s voting rights legal team has already participated in 37 lawsuits in 20 different states in the past 18 months, winning critical battles in Virginia and Missouri and preventing a large-scale effort to interfere with voter registration in Florida. They also successfully pressed the Justice Department to challenge laws that violate the Voting Rights Act in states like Texas and South Carolina.

The ACLU is currently pursuing vital litigation challenging discriminatory and unnecessary voter suppression laws in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Iowa. They will be setting up election-day hotlines and deploying specially-trained ACLU lawyers to voting rights abuse trouble spots across the nation. They are working with media outlets to dispel the voter confusion that these attacks have created, and are distributing hundreds of thousands of voting rights guides so that people are fully prepared to stand up to those who seek to turn them away at the polls.

In order to keep up the momentum of these efforts against the right’s attempts to stop them, the ACLU needs your help! Please visit their website to make an emergency donation, learn more about voter suppression efforts, and sign up for email alerts.

Read More: http://www.aclu.org/maps/battle-protect-ballot-vot...

• flaca BN-0 2012/09/15 22:13:44
    flaca BN-0
    +6
    don't worry. These new infringements are being shot down by state supreme courts.
    The question they ask these new law initiaters is "do you have voter fraud" and the answer is always "well, no, your honour....but...." and then they get smacked down.

• Sayer Stewart 2012/10/14 16:56:29 (edited)
    Sayer Stewart
    The only people who would be denied voting are people who aren't allowed to vote.
  • AdLib 2012/09/17 16:52:18
    AdLib
    +2
    Conservatives are scared because each voting cycle more young and minority voters are entering voting age and their collective impact is growing. They know these young voters are strongly progressive. In fact, conservatives are so scared to the point of looking for any measure to inhibit their voting rights. Backed by large corporations the goal of the republican party is to all but eliminate this demographic.

The conservatives know the news media will not report on this attack on democracy for fear of looking bias. We need to "stand up" and demand they ask the tough questions and report the facts.
  • Skeptikat AdLib 2012/09/23 02:42:42
  • AdLib Skeptikat 2012/09/23 14:21:45
    AdLib
    +1
    Thanks Kat ~ kitty emotioncon gif
  • lolitalovely 2012/09/16 18:45:48 (edited)
    lolitalovely
    Not to sound dense, but I'm not sure how photo ID's suppress minorities. I just got my voter registration, so I had to give them my driver's license so that they could look up my birth certificate. My friend, who just turned 18, got it with just her birth certificate and one of those non-driver photo IDs. Neither of us had any problems. I don't see any monetary conflict. I didn't pay for my voter ID. All I payed was postage.

There is a whole heck of a lot of voter fraud. If this limits it, than I can show you a photo ID when I vote. It's not really any inconvenience to carry a small piece of plastic around for a day.

Are African-Americans more suspicious in general, of people looking at an ID or something? I just don't see the harm.
  • prayer ... lolital... 2012/09/17 01:41:58
    prayer warrior
    +1
    If a person does not have a driver's license because they don't drive and they say this is the only ID they will accept then this is an infringement. Then you might have a driver's license but go to school in another state and present the student ID showing that you are living in the state you want to vote in but they will not accept the student ID infringement.
  • lolital... prayer ... 2012/09/17 01:51:11
    lolitalovely
    I've heard they have a list on the computer at our precinct. The photo ID is just so they can see a face matching a name in that case. Most libraries and schools have computers. (They like to use libraries and schools here.) I don't know all the specifics, but it sounds like that's the goal. I don't know.
  • prayer ... lolital... 2012/09/17 01:56:28 (edited)
    prayer warrior
    Actually they have had voter ID all along like showing your licenes but the courts have been ruling against these laws which means something is wrong in what they are doing. Students had trouble last election when trying to vote.
  • Skeptikat lolital... 2012/09/17 05:23:24
  • lolital... Skeptikat 2012/09/17 21:26:04
    lolitalovely
    All I know is that it's obvious that they need something to help them verify that it's one vote per living voting-age citizen. Electoral-fraud has been significant enough to raise concerns for decades. Although our votes are simply to show the electoral college where the common folk stand. (In turn that tells us if our electoral college is really representing us.)

It may be better to have your photo ID linked to your voter ID in a computerized system and only require physical photo IDs for areas without public computer systems to borrow from. That would make sure many less informed people had that.

As far as getting the voter registration, my state says, on the web page, what you need to fill out to get your ID. It's really simple. You have to mail it in or bring it to the county office, but it makes sure you have contact information in case of issues. Most of the kids in my state actually register to vote when they get their driver's license. They're already there with all the information they need. It takes them a few seconds to get everything ready to send to you the day you turn 18. I wasn't told about that. I think sometimes the government fails to fill everyone in. That is a big problem.

I just think that something should be done to keep things as fair as possible. Many pe...

I just think that something should be done to keep things as fair as possible. Many people around me want fairer elections. My Idea (just an idealized version of the current ID laws) may not be the best, but maybe someone else can come up with a better one. You have to weigh he outcome with the cost. I think keeping elections pretty fair, is worth a little extra effort and less than an hour of time from your life. I'm no authority though.
  • Skeptikat lolital... 2012/09/23 16:11:23
  • Starman 2012/09/16 18:42:43
    Starman
    +3
    Here in Colorado, thanks to our RWNJ Attorney General, anyone who did not vote in the 2010 mid-term election has been removed from the vote roles. Most of them have no idea that they are no longer a registered voter. If they do not re-register before October 9th, they will not be able to vote in November election.

Make sure everyone you know checks to make sure that their voter registration is up to day. http://www.gottavote.org/en/CO/
  • Skeptikat Starman 2012/09/17 00:57:31
  • ruru 2012/09/16 05:12:28
    ruru
    +1
    It is not voter suppression. That is a false concept. The laws are passed to ensure that the potential voter meets all of the qualifications for voting such as being a USA citizen. The voter I.D.'s are free and easy to obtain.
  • Skeptikat ruru 2012/09/16 05:34:27 (edited)
  • Starman Skeptikat 2012/09/16 18:34:13
    Starman
    +2
    You go skepticat! Well stated.
  • ruru Skeptikat 2012/09/17 01:40:05
    ruru
    Your reply indicates your level of intelligence. Intelligent people have discussions with out that kind of language and name calling.
  • Skeptikat ruru 2012/09/17 05:28:17
  • ruru Skeptikat 2012/09/18 02:40:40
    ruru
    I don't defend voter suppression. I am against voter suppression. I do believe every voter should have a picture I.D.
  • Singerar 2012/09/16 03:14:33
    Singerar
    +4
    You'd think the GOP would want to keep the voting fair? There is NO reason for false votes. As strategists say, WHO would risk jail for one false vote? This whole situation is ridiculous.
  • Paige 2012/09/16 02:11:02
    Paige
    +3
    Thank goodness for the ACLU! I will be helping to register votes in Atlanta.
  • PoliticalSanity 2012/09/16 00:16:48 (edited)
    PoliticalSanity
    +4
    Help the ACLU establish that one doesn't need to be a citizen or even of age to vote.
  • Skeptikat Politic... 2012/09/16 02:12:13
  • Politic... Skeptikat 2012/09/16 13:28:41
    PoliticalSanity
    Classic ad hominem. The ACLU fights rather than defends the 2nd Amendment, so they can go to hell.
  • Skeptikat Politic... 2012/09/17 05:37:16
  • Politic... Skeptikat 2012/09/17 12:50:37
    PoliticalSanity
    You apparently don't know their history re gun rights.
  • Skeptikat Politic... 2012/09/17 14:45:33
  • Politic... Skeptikat 2012/09/17 15:22:50
    PoliticalSanity
    More ad hominem. So is so-o-o like The Left.
  • mich52 2012/09/15 22:59:38
  • Mr Chin 2012/09/15 22:48:04
    Mr Chin
    +5
    The Democrats required a state issued photo Id at the Democratic Convention. So obviously this is not a left or right wing thing. This is more phoney claims of repression and prejudice. Here is an article that tells about some of the Id requirements that were imposed at the Democratic Convention...
    http://www.inquisitr.com/3212...
  • Skeptikat Mr Chin 2012/09/15 23:01:14
  • Mr Chin Skeptikat 2012/09/15 23:53:22
    Mr Chin
    +1
    Actually not only are you splitting hairs in a way that isn't true but rights are written down in the Bill of Rights. The convention was supplied under the States rules. So what is your way that you are splitting hairs. One is the state level and one is the federal level ? Is that how you define privilege? Ask a local lawyer about the voting rights of people who have committed Federal crimes and you will see that their so called right no longer exists. If it was a right like the right to freedom of speech then those who committed Federal crimes could still vote. Because after all they still have the right to speak out,. even in jail in various ways. no no, voting is certainly not a right.
  • Skeptikat Mr Chin 2012/09/16 02:28:47
  • Mr Chin Skeptikat 2012/09/16 03:03:26
    Mr Chin
    +1
    I see absolutely no specific details that you have added. Just a lot of over emotional capitals in sentences. It really is true when they say that Liberals run on emotion and leave details behind and Conservatives run on logic. Here is a link to a Wikipedia page that covers voting rights and it says that states have the right to determine what qualifications people must have to vote. And beneath the link is a part from that page telling that "States determine who can vote" (not that everyone has a right to vote). Now if you have one single solid piece of evidence that voting is a right,. (instead of emotional dribble) I will be glad to listen. Otherwise you are wasting my time,. and you are wasting all of our time.
    The United States Constitution, in Article VI, section 3, states that "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." The Constitution, however, leaves the determination of voting qualifications to the individual states.
  • Singerar Mr Chin 2012/09/16 03:19:00
    Singerar
    +1
    Wiki???
    Mouse laughing
  • Singerar Mr Chin 2012/09/16 03:17:41
    Singerar
    +1
    The mandatory ID shown for the convention was for Security Purposes ONLY. It wasn't open to the public. Therefore, only those on a LIST could come in. Thus....ID.
  • Mr Chin Singerar 2012/09/16 03:55:46
    Mr Chin
    +1
    How do I put this delicately,.. Absolute Lie.
    Here is a link telling who could go and after that is an paragraph from that web spot that says that it was open to the public.
    http://charlottein2012.com/FAQ/
    How can I get a ticket to the Convention?
    Conventions have traditionally been open only to delegates, credentialed media and elected officials, but at the 2012 Democratic National Convention, CarolinaFest 2012 will be free and open to the public. If you are interested in attending, please sign up on our website, CharlotteIn2012.com, to receive info about the event. Additionally, the public will have access to community credentials to the proceedings on Thursday September 6, at Bank of America Stadium, where President Obama will accept the nomination—sign up at the Democratic National Convention Committee (DNCC) website demconvention.com to receive information about community credentials when it becomes available.
    And I chose Wikipedia (unlike your zero links or facts) because it is generally thought to be unbiased. And unlike you there are details instead of baseless emotional dribble.
  • Singerar Mr Chin 2012/09/17 02:04:03
    Singerar
    Um, what do you think "credentials" mean. If this was the first time they opened to the public, I didn't know. BUT in order to go, you had to get "credentials". ID. You still had to sign up, and you still had to show ID.

"sign up at the Democratic National Convention Committee (DNCC) website demconvention.com to receive information about community credentials when it becomes available."
  • ed 2012/09/15 22:45:34
    ed
    +5
    In order to make sure there is no fraud and people voting more than once an ID should be made law in every state and in most of those states you can go to your DMV and obtain a voter ID FREE OF CHARGE.
  • Skeptikat ed 2012/09/15 23:08:36

2014/09/20 16:11:36