Hebrew National Accused of Not Being Kosher: Believable or Baloney?

Hebrew National, a hot dog manufacturer run by ConAgra Foods, has always been trusted to provide kosher food -- meaning their hot dogs fall under the strictest Jewish dietary laws. But the company is now being sued by consumers who claim their products fail to meet kosher standards. According to American Jewish World, 11 individuals filed complaints against ConAgra and AER Services, a third-party certifier, in May. The case is now moving to federal court.

AER president Shlomoh Ben-David said in an interview, "The allegations in the complaint regarding AER are completely and utterly false. There is no basis for them, and they are without any merit." However, the real issue here is AER's failure to adequately address complaints. A lawyer for the plaintiffs said, "How does a consumer who thinks he is buying kosher meat really know he is buying kosher meat? It's a very, very difficult thing for a consumer to detect, unless someone investigates." Do you think Hebrew National is selling non-kosher products?

• Peewee ... the jud... 2012/06/26 14:51:02
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    It's not instant or painless :-(
  • the jud... Peewee ... 2012/06/26 15:00:14
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    Yes I know.. I remember some things now
  • tweedle dee 2012/06/24 19:35:06
    Believable
    tweedle dee
    I much prefer Nathan's hotdogs anyway, so I don't care if they are Kosher or not!
  • Cleaver62 2012/06/24 19:27:16
    Believable
    Cleaver62
    +1
    ConAgra Foods doesn't like you to know that their food uses genetically modified ingredients so why would they tell you the truth if they are kosher.. But kosher or not, they still make a damn good hotdog.
  • George 2012/06/24 19:04:10
    Baloney
    George
    +3
    Dont know, dont care. They taste too damned good to give a crap.
    Blessed is the Hebrew National Hot Dog that entereth my stomach is my motto.
  • Elaine Magliacane 2012/06/24 17:20:06
    Believable
    Elaine Magliacane
    +4
    Having worked at a food manufacturing plant (Mayonaise and dressings) we had to pay for a yearly 'inspection' to get our stamp for Kosher... this was back in the 1980's that I worked there and if I remember correctly it cost the plant about $3,000.. we had to pay the rabbi's travel expenses, air plane, rental car, motel bill, as well as a hefty fee for the 'inspection' ... perhaps ConAgra is balking at paying the fees... which I imagine are even more expensive than they were 30 years ago.
  • MichaelSherry 2012/06/24 15:55:22
    Believable
    MichaelSherry
    As a conservative christian,I know that God has ordered the Jewish people not to eat pork and other stuff,he did this to keep the cost of living down for us.If Jews ate bacon there would be more demand on a limited supply.God has given us the tools to understand D.N.A and it will soon be possible to test for kosher meat D.N.A.When the bible was discovered it was for told this would happen.
  • Playerazzi 2012/06/24 05:52:56
    Believable
    Playerazzi
    +1
    Their kashrut standards have been very low for decades. The serious Orthodox Jewish community has never relied on them.
  • Peewee ~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/24 05:40:41
    Baloney
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    The suit is about not being able to tell. Kosher, Halal, they say a prayer and cut the animal's throat to bleed out. Modern butchering techniques are instant and painless where the bleedout takes up to 18 - 20 seconds for unconciousness. Many meat outlets in the greater Detroit area sell Halal meat to get the business of those who care, and those who don't, don't. Why doesn't Hebrew National just go visit the facilities? It's all documented, right down to the animal.
  • chaoskitty123 2012/06/24 00:46:03
    Baloney
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    Lol, they look completely circumcised in that picture... oh, kosher has nothing to do with this? The complaints are basically asking how can people tell they are kosher and the only possible answer is just don't eat the damn things to make sure.

Otherwise, sell them a meat grinder, a metal spike, hammer and a cleaver... then sell them live animals in supermarkets where they know they're getting real kosher meats because they have animals to butcher themselves as proof (just toss in the Hebrew National stickers to slap on them when they're done).

Seriously folks, if you are going to demand that your food be a certain way and you have no means to prove it's been prepared within the required specifications... just don't eat it and let everyone else who aren't picky eat it til the last delicious bite. I agree you can't be sure but they have the right to sell it as kosher because they do what they need to do to make sure on their end and you can never know for sure what it really is.

I've eaten them and they taste great so I'll buy them whether they're kosher or not... in fact, the Jewish community here is about .027% of the population yet you can buy these everywhere so are Jews even their primary market?
  • Peewee ... chaoski... 2012/06/26 14:24:54
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    My mom used to drive 30 miles to a Jewish store just to get their chickens.... not because they were kosher, they were delicious!!
  • bluelady 2012/06/24 00:37:58
    Baloney
    bluelady
    +1
    as a born in NY baby, brought up and weaned on Nathans ...If I cant get Nathans , Hebrew Nat'l is always good (and I understand the Kosher standards mean the animals are slaughtered humanely) and are my second choice
  • Peewee ... bluelady 2012/06/26 14:25:37 (edited)
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    Halal and kosher means the animals have their throats cut to bleed out. Nothing humane about it. :-(
  • bluelady Peewee ... 2012/06/26 14:44:34
    bluelady
    in my faith, when I kill ...I pray thanks to the animal for the good I will get from it..this is also done by a Rabbi...bleeding out is actually quick and humane d/t the rapid loss of sensation from ischemia..farbetter than a sledgehammer to thehead that might or might not kill at all
  • Peewee ... bluelady 2012/06/26 14:57:36
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    Temple Grandin has designed some kosher slaughter methods that are not cruel, the animal doesn't see anything. But that's the exception, not the rule. Bolt guns are very effective.
  • Beagle Mom 2012/06/24 00:14:32
    Baloney
    Beagle Mom
    +1
    I don't really know, but all I know is that hot dog looks crazy good. Trying to help my fiance's health by going gluten free, dairy free, more natural and less processed. I would just about do anything for the hot dog in the picture, Guess I'll have a carrot.
  • Elaine ... Beagle Mom 2012/06/24 17:25:59 (edited)
    Elaine Magliacane
    +3
    The hotdog has no gluten... fix a chilli cheese dog in a bowl... slice up two hotdogs, add chilli, cheese, onions, and whatever else you like on a hotdog... nuke it for two mins then add mustard and ketchup and eat it with a spoon... hot dog... no bun... no glutten :-)
  • Beagle Mom Elaine ... 2012/06/24 18:16:05
    Beagle Mom
    +1
    Great idea!!
  • chubo 2012/06/24 00:07:51
    Baloney
    chubo
    +2
    Whatever...it's still one of the best dogs out there...
  • Chukroast 2012/06/23 23:02:32
    Baloney
    Chukroast
    +1
    If a Jew unknowingly eats non-kosher food it is not a travesty nor a sin, so I see no grounds for a law-suit since there is no physical or emotional damage. However ConAgra should provide reliable evidence that what they label as "Kosher" lives up to the standards required by the Judaic code.
  • Peewee ... Chukroast 2012/06/24 05:43:57
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    By law, every animal that leaves a farm MUST have an ID number. It's recorded with the disposition of the animal. That's how they track mad cow and stuff like that. Kosher/Halal processing would be recorded as well.
  • Adam 2012/06/23 22:59:03
    Believable
    Adam
    It's believable because the incentives are there, and it would be very easy to do, even by accident, it is practically impossible to detect, and a non-jew could easily do so without a hint of malice. This is why Kosher is policed so stringently. It's very believable. But at the moment, there is no evidence that it actually...happened. Yes, it's believable, but so are countless hypothesis and accusations that turn out to be blatantly wrong. It will take a proper investigation and more evidence before a guess can even be hazarded.
  • Marshal Artz 2012/06/23 22:01:49
    Baloney
    Marshal Artz
    +1
    How would the general public know? Anyway whether it is kosher or not, makes no difference to me. I prefer the all pork hot dogs made by Johnsonville, but they are not always available in my area. I know that the Jewish folks would not touch my favorite.
  • Georgia50 2012/06/23 20:46:23
    Baloney
    Georgia50
    +2
    I don't really have a hot dog in this hunt since Kosher status doesn't mean anything to me. It's more a matter for the Jewish community to figure out.

My dog of choice is a blend of beef, pork, and chicken. They're labelled as Smoked Hot Dogs. Very large, lots of flavor.
  • Romanknite 2012/06/23 19:54:24
    Believable
    Romanknite
    Maybe it's because they're not really Hebrew's,maybe they are impostor's trying to pose as Hebrew's.
  • DS in Oak Ridge NC 2012/06/23 18:58:51
    Baloney
    DS in Oak Ridge NC
    +1
    Unlikely that they'd risk the sole basis for their franchise... in a world with many all-beef hot dog options, all they need do is follow rules, and have proper officials supervise.
  • Adam DS in O... 2012/06/23 23:04:32
    Adam
    Beef may be Kosher-able, but following Kosher rules are a huge and costly pain. There's library's of strict guidelines, teams of Rabbis interpreting the law, and I know that at least in the making of Matzo, there prep windows that last minutes that can spell the difference between a sell-able product, and needing to throw out an entire assembly line of bread, and spend the rest of your business day cleaning out the machines. I'm far from an expert, but I know enough to know that it is not a easy (or cheap) task at that level.
  • KoolGuyL 2012/06/23 18:41:48
    Baloney
    KoolGuyL
    +2
    HEBREW national hot dogs not Kosher? Doubtful.
  • Peewee ... KoolGuyL 2012/06/24 05:57:01
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I know, right?
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/23 18:10:42
    Baloney
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    If they are...that is false advertising.
  • Apache 2012/06/23 18:07:44
  • DDogbreath 2012/06/23 17:32:55 (edited)
    Believable
    DDogbreath
    +2
    Who cares? These are by far, more tasty... Do you have any Grey Poupon?

cares tasty grey poupon
  • Peewee ... DDogbreath 2012/06/24 05:58:01
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Yeh, the poupon is usually about that color......
  • DDogbreath Peewee ... 2012/06/24 06:12:48
    DDogbreath
    +1
    I won't ask to borrow yours then...

borrow
  • Peewee ... DDogbreath 2012/06/24 06:32:11
  • DDogbreath Peewee ... 2012/06/24 06:40:22
    DDogbreath
    +2
    I enjoy both!
  • Ron in ... DDogbreath 2012/06/25 19:43:57
    Ron in Oregon
    +1
    Obama's favorite.
  • DDogbreath Ron in ... 2012/06/25 20:31:32
    DDogbreath
    I think he likes poodles with noodles...
  • AmericanVirus 2012/06/23 16:02:06
    Believable
    AmericanVirus
    +2
    I hope for their sake is baloney, because if Hebrew National is screwing the Jews over and they get taken to court... they won't have any lawyers to defend them, any lawyers that will win them the case that is.
  • phil white 2012/06/23 15:36:44 (edited)
    Believable
    phil white
    +1
    I believe the recent appearance of "Kosher hot dogs taste better" adds was a campaign to show there is value to the consumer returned for the extra cost of having meat Kosher slaughterd.
    I like Subway turkey subs.
    Hey! aren't hot dogs made out of pork??? What's up with that??

2014/07/24 11:06:25