Healthy School Lunches That Meet New Nutrition Standards: Is School Lunch the Problem?

Fef 2012/07/19 19:00:00
Schools and other government agencies have held a national debate about the health of America's children. Some argue that healthier school lunches that meet strict government standards will help curb obesity. Others argue that kids spend too much time watching television, playing computer games and sitting on the couch. But where should the government spend its time in the fight against childhood obesity?

FOXNEWS.COM reports: The USDA is preparing to issue policies requiring that food and beverages sold in vending machines, school stores and cafeteria "a la carte" lines. Some of the changes include standards for school meals to increase fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy. We asked the School Nutrition Association to give us a sample of some of the dishes you could be seeing in the nation’s school cafeterias and kitchens.
reports school nutrition association sample dishes nations school cafeterias kitchens

Read More: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/07/17/five-hea...

• thy-lady-x 2012/07/20 17:57:10
    thy-lady-x
    No, not really. It has more to do with what the parents feed their kids, and that the parents just allow their kids to sit in front of the tv and play video games, instead of sending them outside to play real golf/baseball/bowling. it also doesn't hel0p that schools are cutting phys ed and recess periods. phys ed and recess not only help with weight, it also has a lot to do with working with others, and giving the minds of children a rest because you can only learn and focus for so long even if you DON'T have ADD/ADHD
  • smitty 2012/07/20 17:29:19
    smitty
    +2
    along with getting rid of gym and recess. Many other things cause it as well. I have already solved the school lunch issue though

sack lunch
  • opaleyes 2012/07/20 17:08:03
    opaleyes
    +3
    Lunches aren't THE problem, they're ONE OF THE problems.
  • Kaycee Mosely 2012/07/20 16:34:19
    Kaycee Mosely
    School lunches? No.
  • marandia 2012/07/20 16:19:13
    marandia
    the problem is the parents. over weight parents are going to allow over weight kids. you eat right, you teach your kids to eat right and they wont be over weight. school lunches dont help but they arnt the main problem.
  • Bob 2012/07/20 15:20:08
    Bob
    Problem for what? Obesity? Nah! Physical education should be taught more in school. More fast food, are too accessible.
  • shadow76 2012/07/20 15:18:44
    shadow76
    They are mostly inedible, if they were as good as they used to be, no problem. but 4 greasy chicken negguts is not healthy. can't tell in the pictures what they are. but thT ISN'T the answer and it NOT the Govts job. They also should not be wasting time worrying about vending machines. Of course they won't spend time taking care of things they are supposed to because they are the criminals themselves.
  • Bob shadow76 2012/07/20 15:24:31
    Bob
    Come on....speaking from experience 30 yrs ago food in the school cafeteria sucked. Soda machines should not be allowed in schools; they are everywhere nowadays. To much carbs and lack of exercise to burn off the excessive energy. Many, not all fats are not bad for people.
  • shadow76 Bob 2012/07/20 19:46:44
    shadow76
    +1
    I am talking 80s in the late 80s they started reducing the quality and my mother retired from cooking because she disagreed with it.
  • Bob shadow76 2012/07/21 14:08:36 (edited)
    Bob
    Oh. Well, I graduated from high school in 1982.
  • shadow76 Bob 2012/07/20 19:48:46
    shadow76
    +1
    When they trashed the quality of the food, School PE went down too.
  • mandyin... shadow76 2012/07/21 00:29:02
    mandyinabox
    ikr? the greasy breaded stuff doesn't even taste good, nor does enriched bleached bread in my opinion; whole grain has more protein than people think, slower-release carbs, more nutrients & altogether a richer more satidfying taste. and avacados are a good source of healthy lipids/fats, as opposed to many other things behind the counter :p
  • Zaaaaaaaai 2012/07/20 15:01:46
    Zaaaaaaaai
    +1
    People can pack there own lunches, but if caesar salad were as cheap as the fries at school I'd buy them.
  • jmc07806-PWCM-JLA 2012/07/20 13:53:04
    jmc07806-PWCM-JLA
    +2
    The Government is the problem
  • MiMi 2012/07/20 13:03:04
    MiMi
    +2
    But anything to help. The problem really is at home. Kids being fed unhealthily because it's cheaper for parents such as; McDonalds, Burger King etc..
  • mandyinabox 2012/07/20 12:29:28
    mandyinabox
    +1
    It is significant, however...
    John Robbins 128  The Food Revolution
    John Robbins 129  The Food Revolution
  • Wahvlvke 2012/07/20 11:53:42
    Wahvlvke
    +1
    Well ... the food probably sucks if it meets govt. standards and besides the real problem is putting down the fork and backing away from the table.
  • Ed 2012/07/20 11:19:38
    Ed
    +2
    Government is. Get the fed out of our schools
  • 001 2012/07/20 11:08:55
    001
    +1
    Partially perhaps, but it's mostly what the parents feed them / allow them to eat.

Jamie Oliver used to do this show where he showed schools how to make a healthy lunch with little money. Maybe they should start a program like that in the USA too. At least that way schools won't be to blame for sure.
  • Elizabeth 2012/07/20 09:57:18 (edited)
    Elizabeth
    +1
    you know why kids are fat? becuase they don't hardly do anything. school lunches are school lunches, you only have them once a day. if you wanna blame something blame the kids, its their fault that their fat, lucky for me (yes i'm just like these kids) i don't ever gain weight that easily because i actually exercize thats why i'm not fat. but one last time: BLAME THE KIDS!!!
  • elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard 2012/07/20 07:36:53
    elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard
    +1
    It has some blame, but not all.

• burningsnowman 2012/07/20 07:21:32
    burningsnowman
    Not the only problem but its a major contributing factor. There's been so many studies showing how awful the nutritional quality of these "lunches" is. Which should surprise nobody given that congress just declared pizza a vegetable. A sane country would encourage PE, provide healthcare for everyone and try to promote healthy eating instead of subsidizing corn syrup and junk food because some shady lobbyists bought off the FDA and congress. But seeing as we don't live in one none of the above is the case.
  • Dolly 2012/07/20 06:15:05
    Dolly
    +1
    Much of the crap they fed us in school wasn't worth eating, some days I ate very little of it and went to the snack bar to stock up for those awful times.
  • cnsharp 2012/07/20 06:04:23
    cnsharp
    +1
    Not the only problem but still an issue. True Story: my school got "healthier" by having more can (lot of syrup) fruit and whole grain pizza (peperoni had puddles of grease). It was not a big improvement and just made kids spend more money on chips and snacks instead.
  • Karl 2012/07/20 06:03:28
    Karl
    +2
    Schools provide a nice, easy target to blame for problems like obesity. Personally, I think it's about 70% the parents.
  • tristarr 2012/07/20 05:13:45
    tristarr
    to a degree.i also think what they are eating at home,if they have physical activities,etc. there are a lot of factors involved in obesity.
  • R ~In Harry Potter I Trust~ 2012/07/20 05:00:09
    R ~In Harry Potter I Trust~
    +1
    School lunches are disgusting. But they're not the whole reason why kids are fat.
  • Angryface01 2012/07/20 04:52:05
    Angryface01
    Lack of education and too many conflicting health reports about what is good, or bad for us...

and then there's just general stupidity
  • Man_Bear_Pig 2012/07/20 04:45:26
    Man_Bear_Pig
    +1
    They are A problem.

School lunch pizza
  • Sodaz56 2012/07/20 04:33:10 (edited)
    Sodaz56
    IT'S BOTH THE SCHOOL'S AND THE PARENTS' PROBLEM!!!!!!! It's your fault that you let your kid sit in front of the TV all day watching reruns of SpongeBob just as much it's the school's fault that your kid gets pizza and soda like they're at PizzaHut. This does not include parents who send bagged lunch with their kids.
  • Lolita666 2012/07/20 04:32:56 (edited)
  • Kaleokualoha 2012/07/20 04:19:27
    Kaleokualoha
    +1
    It may not be THE problem, but it is a contributing factor to childhood obesity, along with other meals and overall inactivity.
  • ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪ 2012/07/20 03:37:20
    ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪
    +1
    People really need to stop blaming inanimate things for our problems.
  • Bibliophilic 2012/07/20 03:10:59 (edited)
    Bibliophilic
    A gigantic cup of fries, a cookie and a soda is not a lunch. Schools should not be serving pizza everyday or fastfood. The regular school lunches are so processed and nasty that students prefer the tasty, yet calorie-filled fast food choices. I always brought a relatively healthy lunch from home as a kid (and I still do as an adult), but I know that all parents can afford this luxury. Kids should not have the opportunity to eat as much junk as they want- many of them have not learned to have adequate self-control.

Some lunches are better than others. I don't fancy my tax dollars going to buy disgusting processed lunches. Most parents are not even capable of sending their children with healthy lunches.
    I think you can tell which lunches are good and which are bad:
    good school lunch
    good school lunch
    good school lunch healthy school lunch
  • Elizabeth 2012/07/20 03:06:41
    Elizabeth
    +1
    I think they need to portion control and lead by example. When people come from a family that doesn't have proper nutrition and portion control, they are going to need to be educated in what they should eat. I know it seems ridiculous, but it's not as if they asked to born to people ignorant in this area. It's not their fault.
  • lum-the-oni 2012/07/20 02:40:44
  • Ghost 2012/07/20 02:33:45
    Ghost
    What's wrong with people today? It's not school lunch that's the problem, it's the lack of exercise that's the problem. I remember when I was a kid JFK initiated a vigorous exercise program for all the public schools AND IT WORKED!
    If you don't believe me just look around. Today's high school graduations remind me of fat cattle marching up a stockyard ramp.

cattle
  • Osk 2012/07/20 02:16:24
    Osk
    +1
    The problem are the Parents who do not teach the kids what to eat Right and what not to eat correctly
  • Sarah 2012/07/20 02:05:56
    Sarah
    I would say it's the parents problem because they are responsible for the food they're children eat, but I as a student I wonder why theses kids like to eat this stuff, the food at my school's lunch are gross, bringing a lunch from home is something we like to do.
  • Rachel Searvogel 2012/07/20 01:33:37
    Rachel Searvogel
    Parents have more responsibility than schools do. Quit blaming others and try to remedy your shortcomings.

2014/07/26 19:17:36