Health Insurance Companies Push Raise Prices: How Much Do You Pay?

JCD aka "biz" 2010/02/25 14:08:20
With the health care debate at full throttle, many folks haven't noticed how insurance companies are raising rates. What are you paying these days?

• ☆WILLIAM☆ 2010/02/26 04:03:06
    ☆WILLIAM☆
    +22
    All Congress needs to do is DEREGULATE enough to let the market work. That alone will make insurance MUCH MUCH more affordable.

• Deep007 JCD aka... 2010/02/28 23:49:30
    Deep007
    +1
    Barack the Magic Negro.. yeah... I'm PLAYING the race card as a lead card.. not a trump. To open discussion... not to end it
  • Dana FilmBoy 2010/02/26 16:52:37
    Dana
    +1
    FilmBoy, can I give you 1,000 raves for that one?

Awesome post, perfect and 100% true.
  • Deep007 FilmBoy 2010/02/26 18:02:49
    Deep007
    Ya need to vette who GIVING you your info... and THEIR reason behind it.... lah da dee
  • jerrbear 2010/02/26 04:57:51
    jerrbear
    +3
    I don't I got cancelled!
  • JCD aka... jerrbear 2010/02/26 06:07:12
  • jerrbear JCD aka... 2010/02/26 06:08:11
    jerrbear
    +2
    I maxed out my limit with them
  • hermes23 2010/02/26 04:57:48
    hermes23
    +2
    Everyone is paying far more than they should and far more than we would if government got the hell out of the way. If government regulated the computer industry half as much as they regulate health care, we would have two brands and they wouldn't work very well and they would be four times as expensive.
  • Deep007 hermes23 2010/02/26 18:18:45
    Deep007
    +1
    If Government would get the hell out the way. Obamie ain't gonna let that happen
  • hermes23 Deep007 2010/02/26 18:22:36
    hermes23
    +1
    Then we will have to get him out of the way. While we are waiting to do that we can start by getting out all the liberal pukes (of both parties) that support this crap.
  • PrettyMini 2010/02/26 04:33:14
    PrettyMini
    +1
    yup we pay a lot but then those illegal immigrant dont or refugee dont pay anything coz they have medical for free and they get a lot free stuff ...i work my ass everyday just to pay my rent and feed my kids with no help and i pay tax just to feed those people who is lazy to work
  • Deep007 PrettyMini 2010/02/26 18:19:28
    Deep007
    Hell to the YEAH. Lets Go. Its time for the revolt
  • JCD aka... PrettyMini 2010/02/27 06:21:42
    JCD aka "biz"
    Health care costs represent one-sixth of your economy, vs. one-tenth or even one-twelth in other countries which all have universal health care. How much of that 1/6th is spent on illegals?
  • Sheila 2010/02/26 04:32:44
    Sheila
    +3
    I don't have insurance. I pay out of pocket. If Obama's plan goes through I will be forced to buy insurance at whatever price the insurance companies want to charge. In case people have forgotten the public option is NOT in the current bill. All this bill does is help the insurance companies by making everyone buy whether they want to or not and charge whatever they wish.
  • JCD aka... Sheila 2010/02/26 06:08:51
    JCD aka "biz"
    Any idea why the public option is not in the current bill?
  • thefatguy JCD aka... 2010/02/26 12:45:58
    thefatguy
    +1
    Because it sucked.
  • JCD aka... thefatguy 2010/02/26 16:41:44
    JCD aka "biz"
    Not if you believe that a public option would introduce more competition and for instance force private insurance companies to cut their administration costs.
  • thefatguy JCD aka... 2010/02/26 16:50:49
    thefatguy
    LOL. Yeah, that's true. It doesn't suck to be a pigeon either if you BELIEVE that you're an eagle.
  • JCD aka... thefatguy 2010/02/28 11:23:06
    JCD aka "biz"
    That's an illuminating answer.
  • thefatguy JCD aka... 2010/03/01 21:35:07
    thefatguy
    I'm glad you agree.
  • Deep007 thefatguy 2010/02/26 18:19:52
    Deep007
    +1
    a big one at that
  • babibumer JCD aka... 2010/02/26 16:27:06
    babibumer
    +3
    Yes - because the Republican obstructionists would not pass a bill through the Senate with a public option in it. The House Bill contains a Public Option. It's time for the Dems to pass a health care bill with a Public Option with majority vote (Reconciliation) just like the Republicans did many times in the last administration to continue to put us into debt with a mindless war and funding Medicare prescription drug coverage without paying for it.
  • JCD aka... babibumer 2010/02/26 16:42:56
    JCD aka "biz"
    Sounds logical.
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2010/02/26 04:28:43
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +1
    I'm retired and on Medicare.

Part A is at no charge. It covers limited hospitalization & has a co-pay & deductible
    Part B is $94.00 a month and covers doctors visits etc & has a co-pay & deductible
    Part D is for Drugs and costs $52.00 a month also with a co-pay & deductible.

Parts A & B are bare bones plans. So in order to have better coverage, I pay $150.00 a month for a supplemental plan that works with Medicare. The plan covers my co-pays and deductibles. So I pay $296/mo and virtually nothing in addition to that.

I've had no problems either finding doctors to take Medicare or in having my medical bills promptly and in full.

My husband isn't 65 yet so he has private insurance that runs about $600/mo. But my insurance is far better than his.
  • JCD aka... Louisa ... 2010/02/26 06:10:40
    JCD aka "biz"
    So your husband pays twice as much, and his plan is not as good as yours. Why?
  • Louisa ... JCD aka... 2010/02/26 12:57:15
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    Well, his plan isn't going broke. Mine is.
  • Mrs. V 2010/02/26 04:22:15
    Mrs. V
    +3
    Ours was $1025. per month for 2 people. 8 years ago it was about $400 per month and that was with all three kids.
    Two months ago we raised our deductible to $5000. Now we pay $450 for 2 people. It is mainly for catastrophic.
  • JCD aka... Mrs. V 2010/02/26 06:12:16
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    A $5000 deductible is high.
  • Matt JCD aka... 2010/02/26 13:24:17 (edited)
    Matt
    +1
    fascanating to read - i always heard america was expensive for healthcare.
    In Australia everyone working pays a 1.5% tax (medicare) on their yearly income - for average wage earner that works out to $930 aud per year. Bear in mind everyone in the country s covered - regardless of how much they are contributing. If you earn a very high wage - like over twice the average wage of 66,000 you are liable for and extra 1% UNLESS you have private health insurance. My private health insurance costs me about $80 per month.
    most medications are subsidised and you would be unlucky to pay more than $15-20 for a prescription.
    Doctors get paid by the government for each patient they see,some are happy to take just that so you have no gap payment, others charge another $20 or so on top. There are plenty of "bulk billing" ones near me so i dont pay extra at all.
    my mum, who has no private insurance, had a double mascetomy last week, all the consultations leading up to it, the operation, the days in hospital , the tests, biopsies, nurse home visits etc etc etc didnt cost her 1c. all the scans leading up to it, the operation 10 months earlier to take out a cancerous lump etc etc etc probably totalled around $1000 all up, which was for consultants she chose to see at various times. all the ac...

my mum, who has no private insurance, had a double mascetomy last week, all the consultations leading up to it, the operation, the days in hospital , the tests, biopsies, nurse home visits etc etc etc didnt cost her 1c. all the scans leading up to it, the operation 10 months earlier to take out a cancerous lump etc etc etc probably totalled around $1000 all up, which was for consultants she chose to see at various times. all the actual hospital stuff was free.
    Hospitals are clean, staff are highly trained, wait times are low.
    My wife needed an MRI scan a few momths back - she had it within 2 days of the doctor saying she needed it, all free...

If you guys end up with a similar system - I hope they model it off Australia and not the UK
  • Dana Matt 2010/02/26 16:40:54
    Dana
    +1
    Hi Matt, GREAT post!!! Thank you for posting that, it makes so much more sense, plain logical good common sense to do this. Yet, in this country, the GOP are a bunch of furrball idiots.. (sorry can not post the words I want to use..) Why on earth can they not see this logic is beyond so many peoples comprehension! And they have these supposed "polls" saying the Americans simply do not want healthcare to be corrected. How stupid is that? I know even more republicans than i do democrats, and while those people hate Obama with a vengeance, not a single one of them is against true health care reform and a flat out universal health care option. Not one. Seems the knot heads on Soda head are the big mouths who want to scream about it, and must be the ones who answer the polls, because no one I know has been polled, and if they did a true real poll, real people,. they would find a huge majority of Americans would love a system exactly like you have in AUS. Congrats for living in a country where health care is a right and not a privilege. Thanks for coming on here w/ these blow hards and explaining too, please post a LOT more!
  • JCD aka... Dana 2010/02/26 16:44:59
    JCD aka "biz"
    Speaking of "real" polls, I read a few days ago on SH that 58% of Nevadans, that is in Harry Reid's state, are in favor of a public option.
  • Dana JCD aka... 2010/02/26 18:31:33
    Dana
    I have not talked to a single person who does not want univeral health care. Not one has said I want to govt to take care of me, all everyone wants is to have an option to buy health care at a fair rate. Fair, not what health net or these criminal companies try and sell to people. But fair. What else do we want? we want to KNOW that when we pay for this and then use the coverage that we will actually get care!

I have a friend, her and hubby devoted Fox and Limbaugh followers. Bought a policy Limbaugh was toting on his show for small business owners. They own their own business. They bought the most comprehensive policy, coverage for everything, inability to work, everything and paid faithfully on this policy. Guess what? hubby had a tragic accident, broke his neck, needed life flight, immediate surgery, intense follow up care, and rehab. Would not be able to work for at least a year, IF he recovered fully. His insurance that Limbaugh toted to him? Denied all coverage... he was literally pushed out of the hospital 3 days after the surgery, and his wife had to load him herself in the car to try and get him home. She could not carry him in the house alone. After months of attorneys fighting, nearly losing their home, the insurance paid a tiny bit of the hospital bills, nothing el...

I have a friend, her and hubby devoted Fox and Limbaugh followers. Bought a policy Limbaugh was toting on his show for small business owners. They own their own business. They bought the most comprehensive policy, coverage for everything, inability to work, everything and paid faithfully on this policy. Guess what? hubby had a tragic accident, broke his neck, needed life flight, immediate surgery, intense follow up care, and rehab. Would not be able to work for at least a year, IF he recovered fully. His insurance that Limbaugh toted to him? Denied all coverage... he was literally pushed out of the hospital 3 days after the surgery, and his wife had to load him herself in the car to try and get him home. She could not carry him in the house alone. After months of attorneys fighting, nearly losing their home, the insurance paid a tiny bit of the hospital bills, nothing else. Just denied the claims and are waiting for more battles in hopes my friends will go broke or die trying. Her hubby is trying to work, still disabled, can barely feel his fingers, in constant pain, but he has to work, because he has to try and feed his family. Bill collectors call non stop, threatening letters, never ends. My dear friend is a wreck, nearly broken by all of this. Still loves the GOP, even listens to blowhard limbaugh, but she has lost faith in them. She would do anything for a public option at this point.
  • JCD aka... Dana 2010/02/27 06:28:24
    JCD aka "biz"
    What is the name of that insurance company which denied all coverage to your friend, and was apparently "toted" by Limbaugh?
  • Dana JCD aka... 2010/02/28 01:28:53 (edited)
    Dana
    It was a subsidiary of Health Net, if i am remembering correctly. Part of their policy, where he would be covered if unable to work was through AIG. I will try and reach my friend and make sure my memory is correct. :) She said this was toted as being perfect for small business owners, and self employed folks, and would cover them in every direction. Last time she and I had talked just the hospital bills were reaching $150K. This was not including the rest.. the life flight, the first hospital he was taken to, etc... insurance refused to pay any of those bills either. Even life flight... pretty amazing.
  • JCD aka... Dana 2010/02/28 11:29:54
    JCD aka "biz"
    Couldn't Limbaugh be sued for damages if he toted this greedy company? Hospital bills reaching 150 000 dollars? That's unheard of in any country with universal health care! I think I will create a Paris-based website, in French and in English, to warn citizens about the true state of for-profit health care systems, and we will name the US insurance companies, in case they plan to gain a foothold in our countries.
  • Matt Dana 2010/02/27 14:41:59
    Matt
    +1
    thanks, wasn't trying to do a "my country is better than your because..." thing, but just pointing out an area where i really like what Australia does.
    Funny thing is... UK, France, most of Eurpoe, Scandanavia etc have similar systems, i guess in the USA you have more interest groups - hospitals, drug companies, etc etc who would be impacted in the hip pocket if such a system comes in. To them I would say - Don't worry - Doctors over here drive Lexus's and live in big houses as well :)
    I do believe healthcare is a right, and that if EVERYONE pays a little, then we can cover everyone. Just as education is a right.
    There might be factors in the USA that I am unaware of that makes the models of most civilised countries unworkable in yours, but here's hoping for your sake sanity can prevail,
  • Dana Matt 2010/02/28 01:33:19
    Dana
    +1
    Thanks Matt! I agree with you 100%, on all points. And in America only reason we do not have this is the special interests, they simply do not care about anything but their own profits. The motto is, he who has the most money wins.
  • JCD aka... Dana 2010/02/28 11:34:36
    JCD aka "biz"
    Unless concerned Americans form their own grass-roots movement and organize, and put pressure on Reps and Sens, including some moderate Republicans, who are now scared to death by far-right groups.
    - I have mentioned this new "Coffee Party Movement", http://coffeepartyusa.com I don't know if they might play a useful role in the next few months.
  • JCD aka... Dana 2010/03/01 08:18:38
    JCD aka "biz"
    In his answer to marlow's question "Are people without insurance + or - likely to die?", jerrbear, who has lost his insurance, said that "most doctors and health care places have that nice little sign in the window saying "NO INSURANCE NO SERVICE". I asked him if he could post pictures of these "nice little signs". Why not name and shame these "doctors"?
  • JCD aka... Matt 2010/02/27 06:25:00
    JCD aka "biz"
    Your Australian model looks fascinating.
  • Mrs. V JCD aka... 2010/02/26 17:11:34
    Mrs. V
    +1
    Yes, but it ends up being a wash. We were paying 11K per year. Now it will be just under 6K. So if we have over 5k of bills, (which we usually don't) we still break even. And if we go over, they pay. Being self employed we can deduct the premiums anyway.

2014/04/18 13:21:40