Health care law - does it discriminate?

Temlakos~POTL~PWCM~JLA~☆ 2012/08/07 18:12:51
Yes, this bill discriminates.
No, we've been over this before, nothing to see, move on.
Does the health care law discriminate in favor of some religions and against others?

Consider: members of "religious sects or divisions," extant prior to 31 December 1950, that forbid insurance, do not have to buy insurance. That's right out of the Social Security Act, to which the health care reform bill refers in this context.

So: if your religion forbids buying insurance, you don't have to buy insurance. (That is, as long as your sect has existed since before 31 December 1950.) But if your religion forbids anything else, like contraception, you're out of luck! (Or in religious terms, you're accursed!)

How convenient, for Islam, in which insurance is forbidden (haraam), but not for Roman Catholics, who do not use contraceptives!

Does this constitute "making a law respecting an establishment of religion, and prohibiting the free exercise thereof"? You tell me.

Read More: http://www.conservativenewsandviews.com/2012/08/07...

• Doc 2012/08/10 18:19:55
    Yes, this bill discriminates.
    Doc
    +1
    particularoly section 124.
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/08/08 19:04:54
  • shadow76 2012/08/08 16:36:37
    Yes, this bill discriminates.
    shadow76
    +1
    it discriminates against the young and the old.
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2012/08/08 14:01:19
    Yes, this bill discriminates.
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +2
    How could 33 people vote NO? Perhaps the definition of discrimination should have been included!

What if this was a concern: Blacks are always seen by the doctor BEFORE whites because blacks have been discriminated against in the past. IS THAT DISCRIMINATION??
  • Seonag 2012/08/08 12:46:45
    Yes, this bill discriminates.
    Seonag
    +3
    Yes it does! Without even looking at the religious aspects, we can look at the exemption of Congress from the Act. That discriminates against the rest of the US!
  • gary 2012/08/08 08:41:53
  • Louisa ... gary 2012/08/08 14:05:40
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +1
    In your example, is this retired couple on Medicare? I'm asking because I am and I'm paying over $300 a month now. Should I expect that to rise? Right now I'm paying my own insurance but it they raise it considerably I'm going to have to go on the dole and that means they the taxpayers will be paying for me!!
  • gary Louisa ... 2012/08/09 18:29:40
  • Louisa ... gary 2012/08/09 20:47:33
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +1
    In MD, I have Part A (free) yeah right!, Part B is $98.00/mo. Part D is around $45.00/month and AARP Supplemental is $157/00/mo. Now it my supplemental goes up, it's also going out the door! I'm just thankful that I'm at the end stage of my life and not just beginning it. However, if I was young, I would resist this insurance with every fiber of my body. Just for spite, of course. But at my age, they can take the damned plan and shove it!
  • gary Louisa ... 2012/08/10 04:47:22
  • Louisa ... gary 2012/08/10 17:30:30
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    OK, I see! Bye bye B!!
  • Marianne 2012/08/08 05:04:11
    Marianne
    +1
    Health insurance is to cover the case of health problems. Nobody should be discriminated and everybody should have access to health care without being ruined by the costs. Religions with their taboos are discriminating people if not allowing health insurance.
  • Cat 2012/08/08 02:42:42
    Yes, this bill discriminates.
    Cat
    +2
    If you believe that abortion is the direct and willful defiance of God, paying for insurance with abortion or morning-after coverage is partaking in sin. Since God only forgives sin that is confessed, repented of and forsaken, the believer must choose between not paying for the coverage or DAMNATION.
    Since the government could make that coverage an optional rider paid by the insured patient, and refuses to do it, the government is denying those people their freedom of religion, and forcing them to obey a different theology. It can also be stated that the The government is establishing a very profound religious principle that human life is not sacred and that an unborn baby does not have a soul.
    This law should be ruled unconstitutional according the the establishment of religion clause.
  • Dan 2012/08/08 00:51:03
    Yes, this bill discriminates.
    Dan
    +2
    It discriminates on many levels. Being favored and allowed to "opt out" is a form of discrimination as well.
  • toni 2012/08/08 00:18:00
    toni
    +1
    No religious people are allowed to do all kinds of nonsense that normal people aren't allowed to do.
    As for this:
    "How convenient, for Islam, in which insurance is forbidden (haraam), but not for Roman Catholics, who do not use contraceptives!"
    There is nothing in the health care act that requires a priest to wear a condom when raping a little boy.
    But seriously, this exemption effects an individual muslim and his family. If you tell me that this provision allows a muslim with employees not to buy health insurance for his employees then you are right. It is discriminatory.
  • Cat toni 2012/08/08 02:51:45
    Cat
    +1
    Do you mean to tell us that all those muslim owned gypsy cabs are all uninsured?
  • Louisa ... Cat 2012/08/08 14:07:44
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    Beautiful question!!
  • Carl 2012/08/08 00:08:59
    Yes, this bill discriminates.
    Carl
    +2
    After the regulations have been passed which are necessary to implement the law, and given the individual who has been advising the President - Dr. Ezekiel Emmanuel, you will see an actuarial table developed which defines the age groups that will be eligible to get the most medical care. It's those between the ages of 15 and 60.
  • gary Carl 2012/08/09 18:32:54
  • Theresa 2012/08/07 23:05:15
    Yes, this bill discriminates.
    Theresa
    +3
    Every part of this HC law is discriminatory.
  • BUCCANEER~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/08/07 22:11:41 (edited)
    BUCCANEER~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Look at what our NHS has become,and you will see,the answer is yes if your above 70, or have the wrong post code,
  • Ozzyboy 2012/08/07 21:42:37
    Yes, this bill discriminates.
    Ozzyboy
    +5
    It absolutely discriminates. The Amish only have to pay for services they use, not for everyone else's. I don't begrudge them but it is flat out discrimination. Everyone should have to option of not having SS or insurance. Especially now that those who pay into SS will not be able to collect as much as they pay in.
  • heirsoftheking 2012/08/07 21:38:24
    Yes, this bill discriminates.
    heirsoftheking
    +4
    It's segregating me from the "opt out" side. Why don't those jackass democrats who voted for this get this ungodly piece of crap, too!
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/08/07 21:32:29
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    Everything else does, why wouldn't this?

But this particular issue has been driven into the ground as well as proven false.

Since the US separates church and state, churches should stay out of state business too. If Congress wrote a bad law (gasp, my smelling salts please, I feel faint), FIX IT.
  • Cat jubil8 ... 2012/08/08 03:00:42
    Cat
    Where is it written that "the US separates church and state"? The only time I heard that was from a union social studies teacher.

The US constitution guarantees the free exercise of religion and only prohibits the government establishment of a particular religion.
  • sammanilla 2012/08/07 20:17:20
    Yes, this bill discriminates.
    sammanilla
    +8
    Yes, it discriminates against the Constitution.

discriminates constitution
  • Icono1 2012/08/07 20:14:26
    Yes, this bill discriminates.
    Icono1
    +3
    To a degree, yes.
    The degrees are outlined in the above argument for this post.
  • ehrhornp 2012/08/07 20:05:51
    ehrhornp
    +2
    lol, Roman Catholics do not use contraceptives? Where did you get this silly idea from? Show me a catholic woman who never has used birth control and chances are I will show you a liar.
  • beachbum ehrhornp 2012/08/07 20:57:27
    beachbum
    +6
    Did you catch the part about Islam and insurance don't have to participate since it's against their belief? Whether or not a Catholic woman uses contraceptives isn't an issue - the issue is that using them is against the teaching of their church.
  • ehrhornp beachbum 2012/08/07 23:29:24
    ehrhornp
    +3
    Well I was commenting to this specific sentence: How convenient, for Islam, in which insurance is forbidden (haraam), but not for Roman Catholics, who do not use contraceptives!

I think it is extremely funny to think that Catholics do not use contraceptives. Now it is probably not as high as 98% but even my sister in law who is roman catholic with her husband, my brother, used them. Not any longer as she has long past menopause.
  • beachbum ehrhornp 2012/08/08 00:12:33
    beachbum
    Oh, I agree they use them, but it's still against the church's teaching. Theory and reality are often world's apart............nevertheless, there are probably still families who practice that teaching.
  • ehrhornp beachbum 2012/08/08 00:25:58
    ehrhornp
    +1
    As the old saying goes, rules are made to be broken.
  • Dan (Po... ehrhornp 2012/08/08 02:00:35
    Dan (Politicaly Incorrect)
    +1
    It is the Catholic Religion the forbids contraceptives.
  • ehrhornp Dan (Po... 2012/08/08 08:08:14
    ehrhornp
    And it is the majority of its women that breaks that rule. The Church should get with the times.
  • Dan (Po... ehrhornp 2012/08/08 15:23:31
    Dan (Politicaly Incorrect)
    So what, that does not make it right. Those that do not like that doctrine can simply change religions.
  • ehrhornp Dan (Po... 2012/08/08 15:36:55
    ehrhornp
    And many do but even for those that stay, the Church's stand on contraception is ignored. If all the women who ignored the teachings of the Church left, the Church may not have many members left. A reason why men are often there is because the wife forces him. Wife stops going, so will these men.

Church has not always been right. Even they admit that. They need to stop treating women as second class citizens.
  • Dan (Po... ehrhornp 2012/08/08 15:49:07
    Dan (Politicaly Incorrect)
    +1
    The catholic church has been around for 2000 years. Those that do not want to follow it's teaching are welcome to leave. They however do not have a right to change it's doctrine. The Catholic Church does not get it's doctrine from it's followers, it gets it from the Bible. Catholic Women are not forced to follow it doctrine. So your remark about treating women as second class citizen is absurd.
  • ehrhornp Dan (Po... 2012/08/08 15:53:35
    ehrhornp
    Where in the bible does it say women cannot use birth control? What happens is that catholic women just ignore those teachings seek to just keep them barefoot and pregnant. A church is the sum of its members. Says something about an organization where the vast majority of its women ignore it's basic teachings.

I am not Catholic but would you go to Church if all those women are gone?
  • Dan (Po... ehrhornp 2012/08/08 16:04:41
    Dan (Politicaly Incorrect)
    I said that is catholic doctrine. In catholism any form of birth control is the same as abortion. Hence the same as killing hence the commandment that thou shall not kill.
    I will repeat what I said, Catholic Women are not forced to not take birth control. However the Catholic Church promotes the rythem method.
    Anyone that does not agree with the doctrine is welcome to leave.
    Your assertion that women are treated as second class citizens is absurd.
  • ehrhornp Dan (Po... 2012/08/08 17:07:48
    ehrhornp
    I just think it is fortunate for the church that most members are "cafeteria" Catholics and pick and chose what they want to follow. If all left, the Churches would largely be empty.

Obviously the vast majority of Catholic women do not follow this primitive teaching. Lets see how long did they take to correct the mistake on Galileo?

Ever heard of Women on the bus?

2014/10/30 16:16:44