Have you met Michael Steele?

Saintsfan 2009/02/02 02:52:44
Nope, first I've heard of him
Michael S. Steele served as Lieutenant Governor of Maryland from 2003 through 2007.

Steele is chairman of GOPAC.

When Steele was elected Lieutenant Governor of Maryland in 2003, he became the first African American elected to state-wide office in that state.

He is currently a partner in the international law firm of Dewey & LeBoeuf in Washington, D.C.

From 1991-1997, Steele was a corporate securities attorney at the international law firm of Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton in Washington, D.C., specializing in sophisticated financial transactions on behalf of Wall Street underwriters.

He also was a corporate finance counsel for the Mills Corporation and founded his own company, The Steele Group, a business and legal consulting firm.

His writings on law, business and politics have appeared in The Washington Times, Politico.com, Townhall.com, and The Journal of International Security Affairs, among others.

Named a 2005 Aspen Institute-Rodel Fellow in Public Leadership and awarded the 2005 Bethune-DuBois Institute Award for his ongoing work in the development of quality education in Maryland, Steele has served on a variety of boards and commissions, including the Export-Import Bank Advisory Board, the U.S. Naval Academy Board of Visitors, and the Republican National Committee.

Born in 1958 at Andrews Air Force Base in Prince Georges County, Maryland, Steele was raised in Washington, D.C.

He spent three years as a seminarian in the Order of St. Augustine in preparation for the priesthood, but ultimately chose a career in law instead.

He earned his law degree from Georgetown University Law Center in 1991.

Steele serves on the Administrative Board of the Maryland Catholic Conference and is a member of St. Marys Catholic Church in Landover Hills, MD, where he attends mass regularly with his wife Andrea and their two sons.

• ~1seahawksfan~ 2009/02/08 20:41:01
    ~1seahawksfan~
    +1
    I want to meet him in person :-)
    What a great man and I am very happy he will be our new representative. Too bad the liberals say he is only there because he is black. He is there because he is a qualified, articulate and smart man that will bring a breath of fresh air to a party that needs it bad!
  • Irish2535 2009/02/03 14:54:47
    Irish2535
    +2
    Yes, I have been hoping he would take a more prominent role in the party for a long time. He has great ideas and values and I hope he can steer the party back on course. We need a strong chairman to move past the embarassment of this election season.
  • holliday04 2009/02/03 02:58:51
    holliday04
    +2
    but didn't know this much about him. Thanks for sharing.
  • Wintermute ~ Tape Operator 2009/02/02 22:22:11
  • ZILdeactivated 2009/02/02 17:40:56
    Nope, first I've heard of him
    ZILdeactivated
    +2
    Hope he sticks to his principles.
  • Trader1 is kerbonkin' 2009/02/02 04:45:34
    Trader1 is kerbonkin'
    +3
    I've liked him for a long time now. He's got good conservative values and I think he's just the man to present them in a way that doesn't overpower or overwhelm people. A plus is that he has a great sense of humor and doesn't get rattled easily at all.
  • Moderated 2009/02/02 03:43:00
    Moderated
    +3
    Excellent.
  • lewis 2009/02/02 03:35:58
    lewis
    +2
    I don't know a lot about him, but what I have seen thus far he seems OK.
    And heck, he's black so that apparently means something... right?
  • Nikki +In God We Trust+ 2009/02/02 03:10:45 (edited)
  • Suzie 2009/02/02 03:04:53 (edited)
    Suzie
    +6
    I have seen his commentary on Fox. Very intelligent man and easy to listen too.
  • MADMAC 2009/02/02 02:59:13
    Nope, first I've heard of him
    MADMAC
    +6
    I wish him well. he is going to ned it. I wonder how he did with Gun control. They have nasty gun laws in Maryland. Worse than NY! I will have to look that up.
  • MADMAC MADMAC 2009/02/02 03:03:18 (edited)
    MADMAC
    +7
    http://www.ontheissues.org/se...

No ban on guns; focus on enforcement instead
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2009/02/02 02:55:34
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +8
    He's on Fox all the time. I think he is the right person for the job and I sure hope he sticks to the conservative views that he has displayed thus far.

2014/10/21 05:22:51