Have you ever had a dream where you think you're awake but you're not and then you keep waking up in your dream?!?!?!?

Adi 2007/08/23 00:55:18
The other night I had a dream that someone I cared for dearly passed away. I kept trying to wake myself up in my dream, but each time I woke up, I was waking up again in my dream!

It was like Groundhogs Day but worse!

Have any of you ever had this experience, if so, what was the dream?

• Karen 2007/08/24 15:29:35
    Karen
    +6
    You had what is referred to as a "lucid dream"; one in which the sleeper suddenly has an "awareness" that they are dreaming and the dream continues even though you are having cognitive thoughts. I have had these many times. These dreams are very cool, because one can actually learn to manipulate the dreams (if you can manage to stay asleep) and you can control what happens in the dream, or escape from danger, you can fly, etc. Lucid dreams can be so much fun so enjoy it the next time.

• rockakittyntx 2012/11/19 11:47:45
    rockakittyntx
    I'm not sure what kind of dream I had... It started off at my workplace and I went with two of my coworkers outside to check the laundry for pads and before I knew it they had left me behind. I hurried to to follow them and as soon as I stepped outside of the laundry they had just gone back into the facility. Something nagged at me to turn around so, I did. Off in the ditance I saw a large black dog and I knew that I had to avoid this "thing" at all costs. As I turned back around gnarled, twisted trees appeared as if they had always been there and the distance from where I was standing to the facility increased. I scrambled through the trees to hurry back inside and I glanced over my shoulder as I made it to the back door and I somehow ended up in a sitting position next to my children who were just sitting on the back step. As I'm trying to push them inside to keep them away from this large black dog I turn to see it dead a couple of yards from me and standing over it is a very large wolf. This wolf looks at me as if it knows me and means to protect me... It registers but my main concern is my children and I finally get them inside while I mentally thank the wolf. I quickly notice that my workplace looks dark and instead of lights there are sconces lit in the rotunda. I ask a...

I'm not sure what kind of dream I had... It started off at my workplace and I went with two of my coworkers outside to check the laundry for pads and before I knew it they had left me behind. I hurried to to follow them and as soon as I stepped outside of the laundry they had just gone back into the facility. Something nagged at me to turn around so, I did. Off in the ditance I saw a large black dog and I knew that I had to avoid this "thing" at all costs. As I turned back around gnarled, twisted trees appeared as if they had always been there and the distance from where I was standing to the facility increased. I scrambled through the trees to hurry back inside and I glanced over my shoulder as I made it to the back door and I somehow ended up in a sitting position next to my children who were just sitting on the back step. As I'm trying to push them inside to keep them away from this large black dog I turn to see it dead a couple of yards from me and standing over it is a very large wolf. This wolf looks at me as if it knows me and means to protect me... It registers but my main concern is my children and I finally get them inside while I mentally thank the wolf. I quickly notice that my workplace looks dark and instead of lights there are sconces lit in the rotunda. I ask an office nurse if I may go home and she says yes. I then "wake up" call my boyfriend to tell him about what happened since he is half native but what "woke me up" was the sound of doors closing in my house. [Mind you I think I'm awake] I am freaking out exclaiming, " there is something in my house, there is something in my house"!

He's trying to calm me and I begin to calm myself and I close my eyes and then I look up to see my bedroom door closed I get up out of my bed and rush over to the door to open it. As soon as I do and as I'm trying to make sense of everything another door appears but there is a light on inside. I begin trying to close this "new" door but I can't because something is blocking it. I remove the item which I realize to be a towel and I shut it. The door then disappears. I sit back down exasperated and confused all the while on the phone. I then actually wake up. Trying to make sence of things and I go to get my roped sage to smudge still feeling entirely scared but deterimined to make this feeling go away. I smudge my entire home; every nook and cranny. As I'm holding the sage it pops which it had never done before. I can only atone that last bit to a large quantity of energy.

-rockakittyntx date of entry Mon. Nov 19,2012
  • Emma 2012/06/01 14:07:37 (edited)
    Emma
    Is wondering if anyone wakes up with tingles and numbness of the body
  • shon Emma 2012/08/13 17:36:39
    shon
    +1
    Yes! My aunt passed 3 months ago and on the night of her service is the 1st time I ever experienced this! It scared so bad and I thought maybe it was her sprit trying to reach me (as I was sleeping in the room she passed away in). Since then it has happened to me on several occasions, I really believe it may be something physicalogical and may seek help from a therapist in order for the dreams to stop happening because I am Litterally scared to sleep
  • amen007 shon 2012/11/12 21:09:42
    amen007
    +3
    Some1 done blackmagic on u, it happens when a spirit trys to take control of ur body. Keep water buy ur bed...
  • rockaki... Emma 2012/11/19 13:25:12
    rockakittyntx
    +12
    I do every now and then. Usually when I take a 30 min nap. Its strange though; because I'm not laying on my hands or arms...
  • ludz 2012/04/22 17:03:42
    ludz
    +3
    Did just have one of these dreams and
    Googled it straight away. Even though this post is like 5 years old thought id comment anyway in hope of a response. What happened was I was dreaming that I was standing in a front yard screaming for help cause some lady was walking at me with a knife. This part kind of reminded me of inception which I just watched lol I then went into another dream after I was stabbed by her and I was In a two story house telling my mum what happened practically crying and frantically closing my curtains because I kept seeing people looking in. I thought that this was real. I then went to sleep in that dream and THOUGHT that I was actually awake for real this time. I got up but could not see anything and was trying to scream out to my mum for help, so I
    Blindly touched the walls and led myself to my
    Mums room this felt so real cause it was like perfectly layed out. I then finally woke up after telling my mum in my dream and am now lying in bed scared as researching it.
  • tammy dionne 2011/12/27 23:44:32 (edited)
    tammy dionne
    I suffer from Sleep paralysis http://www.webmd.com/sleep-di... which sounds like what you are describing. My Aunt also suffers from it. we both are avid dreamers and experience nightscares also. Neither of us has ever found anything to stop any of it, we both just have overly active minds that dont slow down.

Sleep Paralysis while being one of the scariest things ever to experience while happening, is pretty much harmless. many people are mistaking what you are describing as dreaming of waking over and over, but that isnt it. you are aware of everything around you, as it really is right down to the time on the clock, but you are paralized, you cannot move you cannot speak, it's as if something or someone has bound you down, and the more you fight to move or speak, your heart rate rises and you become horrified, till eventually you suddenly wake in a fright! your heart rate slows and you can go back to sleep.

some people only have it happen once or twice, others such as myself experience it uncontrollably on a daily or weekly basis. I thought I was crazy or we had a ghost til I was describing it 10 yrs ago to my aunt and she said " omg you have sleep Paralysis" and she pulled out all sorts of information she had found on it. and unlike "lucid dreaming" you are not aware you are...

some people only have it happen once or twice, others such as myself experience it uncontrollably on a daily or weekly basis. I thought I was crazy or we had a ghost til I was describing it 10 yrs ago to my aunt and she said " omg you have sleep Paralysis" and she pulled out all sorts of information she had found on it. and unlike "lucid dreaming" you are not aware you are asleep, you beleive yourself to be completely awake, which is why it is so frightning to experience.
  • kimoDro 2011/11/26 11:28:04
    kimoDro
    +1
    Yes I'm not going back to bed ever lol. This was a scary paralyzed dream. I hate those. It's from watching these dam ghost TVs shows!!!
  • john last 2011/07/06 18:48:37
    john last
    my dream makes me think im awake like i cud see myself lying in bed. but i cant move! then when i wake up, i wake up to heavily breathing! and i feel so tired when i wake up! but when i sleep again it happens again so im afraid to sleep again when this kinda thing happens someone help me?! pls.
  • Micaeli john last 2011/08/15 01:56:06
    Micaeli
    +4
    I had the exact same thing happen to me. It scared me so bad that i cried my eye's out.

I was asleep (i guess) sheww, and I heard someone come in my room and I just laid there and listened (I was trying to pretend i was asleep) I then heard the person unzipping my purse, so I tried to turn over really quick and be like "what are you doing!" But I couldn't move! I was trying so hard to turn over, then I was thinking, basically trying to scream, like Why can't I move! Then I realized I couldn't open my eye's either. I thought I was paralyzed. It scared me to death...Then i suddenly jerked upwards, and started crying, I didn't want to go back to sleep forever! Then I realized it must have been a dream.
  • kimoDro john last 2011/11/26 11:33:03
    kimoDro
    +2
    Astro projection. Good thing and can be bad if u have negative thoughts. All I can say...GOD IS REAL. DEMONS R REAL. HEAVEN AND HE'LL ARE REAL. JESUS IS REAL. no matter what ur religion is pray!! Pray to Jesus. I have to pray also I just had a paralyzed dream. I hate them. So scary. it's So real because it's actually happening in ur bed wile ur sleep. So pray. Like I'm going to. Well both be OK! If u have twitter follow me kimodro69 I wanna know if all is good!
  • roman 2011/05/10 08:09:19
    roman
    +1
    just now i had a dream where i was sleeping and something started to pick me up off my bed then i realized it but i couldnt move or scream then the next thing i knew i was awake and on the floor in another room struggling to get up but i was stuck under what looked like a black metal babys crib with toys hanging down and once i got out from under it i tried to call for my sister to come helo but i couldnt talk so i grabbed my board to hit it against the wall and it wouldnt make any noise. Then i was able to stand up thinking i reallly was awake then i actually woke up. there have been many like this sinced i moved
  • ruth 2010/12/23 17:18:07
    ruth
    this morning i had loads of little dreams where i genuinely thought i was awake. members of my family were there and we went somewhere together i think its was to the pictures. Then i was back home and someone i had never met before asked me if i could drive and i said i was learning then he went to get this wierd seat out of his car. Then i was running down a street and i could see properly (this is a common dream of mine) like one of my eyes was worse than the other and i remember "thinking" ii should go back to see the optitian because my eye sight has worsened -i was all prepared to do this later in that "day". when i woke up i had the same thought then i realised it was just a dream.
  • Griffin 2010/12/13 02:24:09
    Griffin
    One time i "woke up" in my dream to find a scary ass demon staring at me he jumped at me, then i "woke up" again. I thought this time i was actually awake, so i get out of bed to go tell my parents. As soon as my foot hits the floor a hand pops out and grabs my leg. I stab it, then run to my parents room. I lie on the floor to find a leg sticking out of the bottom of the bed, so i touch it, boom, another demon. Then i finally wake up. :/
  • WhitneyPark 2010/06/08 19:41:53
    WhitneyPark
    +1
    every night
  • April 2009/10/11 09:15:21
    April
    +1
    Lucid dreams for me are so not fun. Or dirty for that matter.
    My first time - I had a feeling where someone was lying on top of me (I was sleeping by myself that night) and he slid his hand beneath my neck which was really cool on my skin. Then I felt him kiss me. And the entire time I was trying to move or scream because I knew I was awake. I actually.. or thought I had felt the bed being weighed down by the extra body on top of it.
    And in my dream, I knew he was a demon. I just knew he was evil.
    The feeling of not being able to move even a finger while you are in complete horror and scared to your very soul has happened to me twice now.

I don't watch sci-fi and I have no interest in demonology. But that dream had scared the bahjeesus out of me.
  • kimoDro April 2011/11/26 11:21:54
    kimoDro
    +3
    I can relate. I just now woke up out of a... I hope lucid dream. I was in my car I saw a man walk from behind my car and walk to the passenger door. I tried locking it but I couldn't move. He just opened the door and sat inside with me. I tried honking the street horn but he then stabbed my foot with a needle. And then from there it was all bad I couldn't get up or move or even open the door to get out. Eventually I stabbed him with his own needle and he turned into my dog I just bought last week. WEIRD!
  • Katty 2008/11/15 18:18:08
    Katty
    +1
    it happens to me all the time. it drives me crazy!!!!!!!
  • Ms. Amanda Marie 2008/09/27 19:25:25
    Ms. Amanda Marie
    +1
    I think that's what's been happening to me lately...

I use my phone for an alarm for school, so every morning it will go off then I look at the clock, figure I still have half an hour, and try to go back to sleep. I guess that's when I start dreaming. First I dream that I woke up late and it's 2 hours after my class starts, and in my mind I'm kinda like, whatever, oh well, i misssed it, goodnight, and roll back over. Then I'll wake up again at a different time after my class and so on, until I finally wake up and realize I still have 10 mins. XD
  • God bless American freedom 2008/09/25 21:18:44 (edited)
    God bless American freedom
    +1
    Yes and it always involves reading my texts for classes! I have opened my eyes on occasion in the middle of the night to find my hands up as if they are holding a text in them and I am reading it. When I open my eyes it is usually because I want to reread a certain portion I feel I read incorrectly! Ha! I always feel silly when I do this!

I have seen that movie groundhog day.. it was quite poignant ...
  • Adi God ble... 2008/09/26 00:48:43
    Adi
    +1
    Yes...it is exactly like the movie Groundhog Day....I wonder if a lucid dream was the motivation for the film.
  • Shutterbug 2008/06/30 18:51:32
    Shutterbug
    +1
    Yes ive had some horrible nightmares coz i sometimes suffer from night terrors but thankfully i dont usually remember many of them but the ones i did remember were horrible & frightened the life out of me.
  • Hannah Montana 2008/06/30 15:44:43
    Hannah Montana
    +2
    I had a dream that me and my husbend lit my house on fire and my child had a dream that she want to the bathroom and she peed and pooped in her bed it is brown.
  • Adi Hannah ... 2008/06/30 17:03:10
    Adi
    +1
    That's a dirty dream...literally ;-)
  • TxAggie93 2008/06/02 17:18:21
    TxAggie93
    +1
    ...it's very unsettling
  • ChickenNoodleSoup 2008/06/02 16:37:31
    ChickenNoodleSoup
    +1
    denkk...........not yet, i hope i wont.
    I dreamed about gerald butler once....almost undress him (I dont want to wake up...nooo) and then my roommate woke me up for breakfast.....n`uh, she didnt!!!
    damn uuuu cereaaalllsss.......and crazy roommate......
  • Adi Chicken... 2008/06/02 16:42:22
    Adi
    +1
    LOL! Someone has some...uhm, interesting dreams =)
  • Just call me B 2008/05/31 21:16:44
    Just call me  B
    +1
    Yeah, I've had them. Mine usually aren't too good.
  • Jazmine:) 2008/05/31 17:41:40
    Jazmine:)
    +1
    when i'm in my dream i know that i'm dreaming but then when i try to wake myself up i actually do and so that's the end of my dream.it creeps me out to know that i'm dreaming while it's happening.but yeah when i want to wake up from my dream i do.cool!i control my dreaming!
  • HairlessKat the Gnostic 2008/05/31 00:03:15 (edited)
    HairlessKat the Gnostic
    +1
    Yeah, I recently had 2 dreams similiar to that,,, in one I thought I was awake, in bed, and swore a big man over six foot tall walked past our bedroom door... then I woke up and realized it was a dream.

After that , not even a week later, I dreampt I heard one of my kids up, went to investigate and saw this 'thing' move from the floor up the wall to the ceiling. Freaked me out so bad I woke up screaming, I dont know what you are but this is MY HOUSE, your scareing me and your not allowed to do that, GET OUT!

I think it was what they call 'dream paralasis', I was probably only half asleep both times.

Freaked me out,, great poll btw! :0)
  • Adi Hairles... 2008/05/31 16:30:33
    Adi
    +1
    ok, that is just plain old creepy!!!!

You need to call the ghost busters are the old haggard from poltergeist :)

Thanks for the compliment!
  • Hairles... Adi 2008/05/31 18:39:52
    HairlessKat the Gnostic
    +1
    Lol, well I did bless the place immediatly after the second one with white copal smoke and white sage ,,,, just to be safe. Theres a huge graveyard within rock throwing distance on the other side of the road... so why risk it right? haha :0)
  • Adi Hairles... 2008/06/02 16:31:01
    Adi
    LOL!
  • AZNangel715 2008/05/21 20:00:24
    AZNangel715
    +1
    A few weeks ago I had a dream where I thought I woke up and got ready for school. Then I found out that I forgot all my books and I left my project at home. Usually it doesn't bother many people but it irritates the hell out of me. I'm the sort of person that wants to get straight A's. And a B+ isn't a great option. I woke up with tears in my eyes. I think it means that I'm too wrapped up in school.
  • Adi AZNange... 2008/05/21 20:28:34
    Adi
    +1
    I think your assessment is fair, but it might also mean you simply had a lot on your mind that was school related...which is sorta the same thing as what you said =)
  • Deleted 2008/05/21 19:58:14
  • Adi Deleted 2008/05/21 20:27:29
    Adi
    +1
    ...yeah, if you wake up upset at someone because of your dream...ever notice that you harbor that resentment towards them throughout the day though they never actually did anything wrong!
  • Deleted Adi 2008/05/21 20:36:44
  • Adi Deleted 2008/05/21 21:03:12 (edited)
    Adi
    +1
    I did that to my wife once too...and she, like you, laughed at me =)
  • loky 2008/05/21 19:57:37
    loky
    +2
    woke up crying. I hate when that happens,ruins your whole day. Or at least mine anyway.

2014/04/23 17:16:25