Have you ever blocked anyone on Sodahead?

millermedia 2013/02/26 15:48:02
I do not worry about blocking
I block frequently
I have been blocked
I have been blocked a couple of times that I know about. It seems because of a strong comment I made regarding liberialism (the art of not thinking straight). One nun called a slight comment I made "rude". When someone is blocked, then you cannot rave them nor can you recieve their questions by email. When it seems so many are motivated by points, it would seem that by blocking so many actually hurts one race for points. I am here to offer good opinions to help people think and to get an insight to how others think about issues. I do not need to meet people because I am so busy anyway, however, I really appreciate the time so many take to make sensible comments, whether I agree or not. Blocking seems to allow weak minds to remain weaker.

• JMCC 2013/02/26 15:57:54
    I have been blocked
    JMCC
    +9
    There are some here that block simply because you have a different opinion than theirs, no matter how politely or respectively that point is made.

These people see such comments as disruptive to whatever point it is that they are trying to make and permit no dissension. Being an independent I have noticed that this happens more from the right wing than the left - there is even one user that posted an article backing up this strategy and recommending that others follow suit.

Personally I will only block those who are repeatedly disrespectful or rude after a warning, and have an amnesty periodically in the spirit of forgiveness.

• JustMe 2013/02/28 15:35:08
    I do not worry about blocking
    JustMe
    +1
    I do not believe in it, but I have been blocked, mostly by childish narrow-minded twats. If you feel that makes you tough and seem powerful then so be it.
  • shenendoah 2013/02/28 01:16:17
    I have been blocked
    shenendoah
    +1
    But I've never blocked. To most people, blocking gives them a feeling of power against those that out-debate them. Rudeness and foul language are just excuses they use for blocking when ignoring them would work just as well. No, little people with little power take advantage of the block button. There they shine or so they think.
  • Harley Squiggles the God \(... 2013/02/27 23:19:01
    Harley Squiggles the God \(#o#)/
    +1
    As I've said before, some idiots need blockage.
  • ilikechickensandcows :3 2013/02/27 22:50:58
    I do not worry about blocking
    ilikechickensandcows :3
  • Broken 2013/02/27 21:53:00
    I block frequently
    Broken
    Everyone who makes personal attacks, makes use of abusive language, or in any way attacks me for my opinions gets an automatic block. I do not behave that way towards others and I will not tolerate others doing it to me. I often will look through a string of responses to a question and when I see people doing these things to others, I preemptively block them.
  • handimom 2013/02/27 14:44:08
    handimom
    +1
    That would defeat the point of an OPINION site and if I have been blocked, I don't know about it or care.
  • Bastion 2013/02/27 14:11:00 (edited)
    I do not worry about blocking
    Bastion
    +4
    I've been blocked a lot. Never have blocked.
  • Brittybabeee <3 2013/02/27 11:20:32
    I block frequently
    Brittybabeee <3
    +2
    Not frequently - but I have blocked people for being weirdos. Hitting on me, and just being creepy. People; there are limits!
  • The Big Taboo [AKA Phuck No... 2013/02/27 04:41:54
    I have been blocked
    The Big Taboo [AKA Phuck Norris]
    +2
    All the time. It's a common side effect of thinking for oneself.
  • Giantfan 2013/02/27 03:44:03
    I do not worry about blocking
    Giantfan
    +1
    Where is the fun in SH if you block people especially when they make you look smart?
  • Ozzyboy 2013/02/27 03:00:09
    I have been blocked
    Ozzyboy
    +2
    I get blocked when I bring up statistics from reputable sites that counters their points. It irritates the left to the point of blocking. I have reported one very, very sick post and SH removed him. Other than that feel free to show me where I am wrong in my thinking and I will listen, process it and then respond.
  • Che Gue... Ozzyboy 2013/02/27 14:55:05
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    Reputable Sites like RushLimbaugh.com, BeckTV.com, and FoxNews.com ? lol
    fox news
  • Ozzyboy Che Gue... 2013/02/27 20:15:03
    Ozzyboy
    +3
    You have no intelligent conversations and are completely ignorant so I never wander over to anything you post.
  • Che Gue... Ozzyboy 2013/02/27 20:57:27
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    Want a tissue Sweetie ? whiner
  • lee 2013/02/27 01:56:42
    lee
    +3
    those that use the blocking feature as implemented by SH website admin are cowards who either don't have the conviction or the skills to stand up for their views.

if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
  • Giantfan lee 2013/02/27 03:46:10
    Giantfan
    +3
    Amen to that.....I agree 100%.
  • Che Gue... lee 2013/02/27 14:56:19
    Che Guevara - Hero
    I don't really like cooking.
  • Pamela 2013/02/27 01:24:40
    I have been blocked
    Pamela
    +2
    Yes, by a few idiot liberals who can't stand the truth about their cult.
  • Giantfan Pamela 2013/02/27 03:47:06
    Giantfan
    See you're not even dabating anyone and you're name calling like a 4 year old.
  • Pamela Giantfan 2013/02/27 14:45:35
    Pamela
    There's absolutely nothing to debate on being blocked by loony liberals. When they don't agree with what you post, then they block you. liberals block you
  • lee Pamela 2013/02/27 15:37:30
    lee
    i disagree with EVERYTHING you post... but i haven't blocked you.

you lie.
  • Pamela lee 2013/02/27 22:30:52
    Pamela
    +1
    Sorry, you're the liar, don't you know all liberals lie like a rug. The biggest one is Obama. liar obama liar obama
  • HillaryLover 2013/02/27 00:09:47
    HillaryLover
    +2
    I am interested in what everyone has to say on these boards. That's why I'm here.
  • dru dixon 2013/02/26 23:39:52
    I have been blocked
    dru dixon
    +2
    Usually by conservatives with limited vocabulary and even more limited minds.
  • Shifting Piece 2013/02/26 23:33:20
    I do not worry about blocking
    Shifting Piece
    +1
    If I block someone it's only for a little bit as I don't believe in permanent blocking.
    I currently have no one blocked.
  • sick'n'tired PWCM 2013/02/26 23:21:29
    I do not worry about blocking
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +3
    No, but I've been blocked by people I have never conversed with.
  • Aingean 2013/02/26 23:09:49
    Aingean
    +1
    I think I have only blocked one person. He was being a pervert and wouldnt take a hint and I had enough so I blocked him. I will only block for stuff like that. I probably have been blocked, it wouldn't surprise me, but I don't know for sure.
  • socokid 2013/02/26 23:01:52
    I do not worry about blocking
    socokid
    +3
    I have never blocked, and I never will. I am not a coward, and this is not Facebook.

At least, that is how I look at SodaHead. Creating echo chambers of confirmation bias is counter productive, childish, and meaningless, IMO.
  • Aingean socokid 2013/02/26 23:10:59
    Aingean
    There are reasons to block that aren't childish.
  • socokid Aingean 2013/02/27 12:41:56
    socokid
    +2
    True!

Then pick counter-productive? Cowardly? There are many more choices outside of childish.

Look... I am being pointed on purpose here. I do, in fact, understand what you are saying. I have several people on SH that I consider friends that block quite a bit. I personally find that to get the most out of a site that was built to spark discussion and gain opinions, is destroyed by creating confirmation bias echo chambers, and is certainly what the block is used for most on SodaHead.

If your goal at SodaHead is to create some sort of bastardized FaceBook for yourself, that is totally fine too, but I'm going to tell you how I feel about it when asked (Hi!).

Look at my profile. I have discussions on topics that would make most people's stomach turn, all day long, and with people that are extraordinarily hard headed. Not one block.

Ever.

These are very, very easy to do:

1. Ignore a thread. Just walk away. It is REALLY easy to do.
    2. There is a link at the bottom of every page called "Report Abuse". In my experience, the support team here has been VERY responsive to these.
    3. Make fun of the savage/rude/vile/childish person you wish to block. Be smarter than they are. Call them on the very reason you would like to block them:

"Posting childish gif images make you feel like an adult?...

True!

Ever.

These are very, very easy to do:

"Posting childish gif images make you feel like an adult? HINT: Has the opposite effect! Tip of the day!"

Something like that.

But, keep in mind, SodaHead support isn't going to deactivate a user for calling you a doodoo head. I guarantee you (this is not a joke), if the moderators at SodaHead took the day off, it would be over-run with porn and spam within hours. So, they have a hard job, they have to ride a fine line, and some here need to grow a thicker skin.

This is, in fact, a semi-anonymous, world wide, open to the public internet site built to spark discussion through posting opinions. But, that's what is great about it. SO many perspectives on so many things. Cutting some of this out seems counterproductive. I have had some of the best conversation, learned the most about certain ideologies, by not running away, by never blocking...

In the end, of course, to each their own. You can do what you want. ;-)
  • Aingean socokid 2013/02/27 13:16:43
    Aingean
    +1
    I have only blocked one person and it was because he was a pervert that wouldn't leave me be. *shrugs* that isn't a childish reason. It IS cowardly to block because a difference of opinion, especially since this site is designed for that. I completely agree that most of the time when a person blocks it is for a childish reason like that, but that isn't always the case.
  • socokid Aingean 2013/03/03 12:17:05
    socokid
    +2
    There is a "report abuse" link at the bottom of every page.

"Some perverted slimeball is stalking me" will get the moderators into action quite quickly, in my experience.

FYI.
  • Aingean socokid 2013/03/04 21:29:41
    Aingean
    +1
    You're right. However at the time I was not quit as familiar with the website.
  • UnusualSuspect 2013/02/26 22:46:34 (edited)
    UnusualSuspect
    +3
    I don't block, because I'm not a coward.

You're right, miller...blockers have weak minds, and probably a weak personality, too!

If they can't stand opposing opinions in an easy place like this website, can you imagine what they must be like in real life?

Real whiners!
  • Melizmatic Unusual... 2013/02/26 22:56:46
  • Aingean Unusual... 2013/02/26 23:11:17
    Aingean
    Ouch
  • Risk 2013/02/26 22:41:21
    I have been blocked
    Risk
    +3
    Many Liberals have blocked me without ever being in contact with them. I think they have a list of Conservatives to block automatically just in case we might respond to a post ot theirs.
    I usually only block when I get some pest that follows me around just to be a pest but I have never blocked anyone for having a different opinion !
    I block frequently
    +1
    When people get too ridiculous.
  • FatherLiberty 2013/02/26 22:19:19 (edited)
    I have been blocked
    FatherLiberty
    +2
    Whats the point in blocking people on a site meant for discussing differing opinions? I have never blocked anyone, but I have been blocked. They cant handle differing opinions. They should just chat with a bot programmed to agree.
  • TombstoneJim 2013/02/26 22:13:47
    I do not worry about blocking
    TombstoneJim
    Its silly on a commentary and opinion board

2014/11/22 09:05:33