Has the shooting in Newtown, Conn. affected your views toward gun control?

ABC News Money 2012/12/19 18:00:00
Lawmakers and citizens debate whether more strict gun control legislation could prevent mass shootings. Has the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut affected your views toward gun control?

gun control

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/newtown-connecticu...

• Lanikai 2012/12/19 19:55:22
    No, my opinion has not changed about the ways guns are sold in the U.S.
    +31
    WE need MORE armed citizens and LESS government intervention in our lives.

Why don't you news clowns ever talk about MENTAL health? Why do the RIGHTS of citizens get stripped because YOU ALL do not want to discuss MENTAL HEALTH issues when you can use this to take away our guns.

You are all a lot of sold out bastar.....

• marty 2013/01/19 16:41:19
    marty
    As horrible as they were, school/mall/theatre/etc shootings are so rare that "doing everything in our power to save lives" or prevent them is an utter waste of time and money and diverts those from needed projects. No mention of the economy or jobs; I guess declawing American citizens is more important than providing jobs.
  • Arizona1950 2013/01/17 13:26:16
    None of the above.
    Arizona1950
    Yes, I think we should stop blaming the gun and go after the affects of the mental-health problem in this country and the overuse of prescriptions that have not been fully tested. We are becoming a nation of guinea pigs with tragic results.
  • WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB 2013/01/17 12:28:46
    None of the above.
    WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB
    All I have to say is this;

Anyone got a good SAW for sale?
  • gregory.brown.5030 2013/01/17 11:22:15
    Yes, I think there should be changes in gun laws.
    gregory.brown.5030
    +1
    I am convinced now that we need less gun restrictions and more arming of people in critical jobs like protecting children.
  • Bcounted 2013/01/16 23:49:40
    None of the above.
    Bcounted
    No... It has made me think about punishing criminals to the fullest.
  • I Piss Off Liberals 2013/01/16 23:34:17
    None of the above.
    I Piss Off Liberals
    +1
    It's always been trouble selling guns. I'm pro Second Amendment, but you could easily go up to anybody and sell/buy a gun from anyone and not know anything about the gun or the person.
  • Kurbdog 2013/01/16 22:43:49
    Kurbdog
    +2
    Even if guns were BANNED people could find ways to kill in large numbers. I am kind of surprised that some of these other options have NOT been used ..........maybe because certian groups are TRYING to get guns banned? ( I know .........that could NEVER be the case .....RIGHT?)
  • Doc. J 2013/01/16 22:38:21
    Doc. J
    +2
    No, why would they?
  • Raymond59 2013/01/16 22:36:02
    Raymond59
    +2
    And they won't change! EVER!!!!
  • CT NEOCON 2013/01/14 20:09:33
    CT NEOCON
    +1
    Changing the gun laws to make them more restrictive only prevents those of us who abide the law from being able to defend ourselves, e.g. like in Washington DC
  • daja 2013/01/09 23:33:58
    daja
    +2
    i think the gun laws should be changed. People under 25 shouldn't be able to buy guns , unless needed.
  • Bcounted daja 2013/01/16 23:53:56
    Bcounted
    +1
    Just out of curiosity, why the number 25?
  • susiequest Bcounted 2013/01/22 22:55:20
    susiequest
    +1
    I would say, for the majority, in the USA, by the time a person reaches 25 they would have seen enough acts of gun violence on the little and big screen that they would be sickened by foolish acts of violence. A 25 year old person would also have children of their own. I would also hope a 25 year old person would be mature enough to know the difference between what is real and what is Hollywood .I am also pretty sure most people 25 years of age would find a more constructive way to make the changes they find necessary without stupid acts of violence. .
  • Bcounted susiequest 2013/01/24 00:42:12
    Bcounted
    Well, that's an honest answer... Thanks
  • I Piss ... daja 2013/01/17 05:57:53
    I Piss Off Liberals
    How would they know if someone needed them? And going can join the military at 18, so why should a young soldier that can carry an M249 or M4 not be able to buy a hand gun? I own 2 guns. I'm only 18. Both were gifted to me, but one I could have bought legally, as I am of age. The other was gifted to me, which is legal also. There are ways for younger people to get hand guns. And 18 year olds can legally carry if they have a carry permit.
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2013/01/09 21:44:45
  • Rick 2013/01/09 05:42:14
    Rick
    +3
    enforce the friggin laws we have in this country. All of them and quit pandering to liberal idiots, illegals, and racists who hate whites
  • caius madison 2013/01/09 04:40:18
    caius madison
    +1
    Nope, it is unrelated to the shooting as to how they are sold, but rather how storage of these within a house with children is regulated well enough. Plus, one must remember, legislature to punish people who get guns illegally, nor those who legally aquire them, will stop these incidents from unfortunately happening. The will to do wrong in a violent manner is either within someone or not. The weapon matters not, the iinflience of media matters not, it's simply a matter of the capacity to harm/kill or not.
  • lady_c5_loadmaster 2013/01/08 10:05:31
    lady_c5_loadmaster
    +5
    We should do away with these gun free zones and let school administrators or teachers have access to a weapon on campus in so idiot breaks into another school.
  • Joves the Instigator 2013/01/08 02:43:02
    Joves the Instigator
    +2
    Not at all. I still believe in the right to bear and keep arms. Why should I change my view over someone killing a bunch of people every so often, the majority of gun owners will never make the news. or commit a crime with theirs.
  • tooner259 2013/01/07 20:05:50
    tooner259
    +1
    the evil and deranged will always find a way.
  • Drummerboy 2013/01/07 18:52:02 (edited)
  • Gregaj7 2013/01/07 18:22:12
    +1
    With the exception of a religious exemption, everyone has the right to own/possess a firearm.
  • ☆Hitler was a community org... 2013/01/07 16:52:40
    ☆Hitler was a community organiz☆
    +1
    other than I need to buy as many as I can...as soon as I can
  • Tony 2013/01/07 15:59:39
    Tony
    +1
    What we need is mental health reform! We need ways to find these disturbed people before they go postal!
  • fuzzy K... Tony 2013/01/10 18:53:27
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    EXACTLY!!!!!

In the past months we've had two people shoved in front of subway trains by mentally ill people.
  • Tony fuzzy K... 2013/01/10 23:17:27
    Tony
    +1
    Clearly we need to ban subway trains
  • fuzzy K... Tony 2013/01/11 14:08:59
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +3
    ...or hands. Hands were used in ALL subway shovings as well as all the shootings.
  • kmay 2013/01/07 15:50:20
    kmay
    +1
    Conceal carry.
  • James 2013/01/07 15:27:43
    James
    +2
    Sorry but until we stop blaming inanimate objects for our own stupidity we won't get to the heart of the problem.
  • daany Boy 2013/01/07 14:55:38
    None of the above.
    daany Boy
    +1
    Let's keep guns out of the hands of law makers. :)
  • Jeff Smith 2013/01/07 14:09:21 (edited)
    Jeff Smith
    +1
    They tried to blame us for the influx of illegal firearms making there way way into the hands of drug cartels in Mexico they failed and when we found out the truth they tried to cover it up.Both the Sandy hook and the Aurora theater shootings had one thing in common, both the fathers of the 2 shooters were set to testify against some of the worlds largest bank frauds in history in the libor scandal, Coincidence,hmmm?
    Everytime there's any type of violence they blame the gun not the shooter funny how in many incidences they name,by name Bushmaster AR type assault rifles when in fact we cannot have assault rifles why are they going after bushmaster when there are many different manufactures who make look alike assault rifles. They screwed the pooch on Sandy hook when they found an assault type rifle locked in the trunk of the shooters car ( or did they really) after he was found dead inside the school from a self inflicted gun shot wound the county coroner said the wounds were consistent of that size caliber for those of you who don't know a .223 is the same caliber as a .22 LR the same caliber Adam Hook shot his mother in the face with before he stole her car and her guns to head off down the road to the Government funded shooting gallery known as a gun free zone.
    same exact caliber makes the same exact size entry wound one is high powered the other is not the high powered will pass through the other bounces around inside the body wreaking havoc on whatever it hits
  • Jeff Smith Jeff Smith 2013/01/07 14:21:15
    Jeff Smith
    same exact caliber one is high power same size entry wound
    same
    +2
    But it starts to make me wonder how many of these horrible episodes have been set up.
  • Kibbles 2013/01/07 11:03:32
    Kibbles
    So our response to this tragedy is remove guns from law abiding citizens. Obviously law breaking individuals would care little for these laws. If you so choose to respond to me please be civil as I've said nothing offensive or derogatory towards those who think differently than I.
  • safari 2013/01/07 08:21:27
    safari
    +1
    gun free zones are welcome mats for disaster - THAT is the only change I want to see - no more gun free zones - if a person KNOWS they will not get shot at in a place then it is a no brainer that they will chose that place over one where guns are permitted for concealed carry.

BTW - HOW DUH are the people pushing for "gun control?" (Optimum word control)

guns drugs
  • GeorgeAMartini 2013/01/07 07:49:08
    GeorgeAMartini
    +1
    It has only made the anti-gun zealots more transparent to me.
  • GeorgeA... GeorgeA... 2013/01/07 07:51:39
    GeorgeAMartini
    It has also made me realize that while 99% of law abiding gun owners take care to safeguard their weapons, some do not. We need to punish law breakers, not people who play by the rules.
  • leslie 2013/01/07 07:14:56
    leslie
    I still firmly believe that all Americans who can pass a stringent background check, (like the one you have to have to work inside of security at an airport for anyone from Mc Donald's to Hudson News.) Should be allowed to own a gun.
    My concern is
    When people start buying more than say 2-3 guns.
    When people start buying high capacity magazines.
    When people start buying in excess of 2 boxes of ammo per registered fire arm.
    There should be some sort of control in place, if for no other reason than, on the one in a million chance that someone breaks into your house, you are not there to defend your property, and they steal all of your stuff and go out and shoot up a bunch of people.
    It's your guns, your ammo and you did not control it like e responsible gun owner should.
  • Carl 2013/01/07 07:00:01
    Carl
    +3
    How we deal with mental health issues needs to addressed more openly.

2014/10/23 08:42:58