Has President Obama spent TOO much money or NOT ENOUGH??!!

BlueRepublican 2012/06/12 17:17:02
NOT ENOUGH!!
TOO MUCH!!!
None of the Above...Keep tax reform alive!!!
Whose money is it? It's We the People's money that's being spent. President Obama has come under criticism from both sides regarding the recovery effort.

The Left has criticized President Obama for NOT spending ENOUGH to stimulate the economy. Paul Krugman has stated in his book and on interviews that Obama needs to spend MORE! Keep spending until the economy bounces back. He states that in times of recession, the govt needs to SPEND!! He praised the Obama auto bailouts as just right, while criticized him for not spending near DOUBLE in the Wall Street bailouts. Pundits, surrogates and other DNC leaders have said the same thing.

The Right has declared a WAR on SPENDING. They argue for austerity in light of some difficult budget challenges and the MASSIVE national debt. They disagree with the Keynesian Economics model of "spending your way out of the recession." They push for cutting spending, reducing govt size, reforming entitlements, etc...The GOP and specifically the Tea Party has made fiscal responsibility and the economy the central issue of this election.

While Congress cannot agree on what to do, the deficits continue to skyrocket. The Federal Reserve continues inflating the currency and ignoring unemployment. The jobs numbers are disappointing and the economy keeps sliding downward. In this battle of ecomic ideologies, our country's future is on the line.

• Theresa 2012/06/12 18:38:17
    TOO MUCH!!!
    Theresa
    +6
    Keynesian Economics does not work! Gov't spending created from borrowing is a recipe for financial ruin.

• maggiemay 2012/06/12 18:13:29
    TOO MUCH!!!
    maggiemay
    +5
    When we have piled this much debt on our future generations with no thought. I would say he has spent way to much.
  • Striker 2012/06/12 18:09:06
    Striker
    +4
    Sure he's spent and is spending WAY too much money. That's less of a problem than the Force that the money buys him.
  • Sheila 2012/06/12 18:07:26
    TOO MUCH!!!
    Sheila
    +5
    We have had to print money how many times now?
  • mwg0735 2012/06/12 18:06:16
  • Wolfman mwg0735 2012/06/12 18:23:12
    Wolfman
    +4
    Now the UAW owns GOVERNMENT MOTORS.
  • Schläue~© Wolfman 2012/06/12 18:42:18
    Schläue~©
    +1
    In reality, not even they own it. Canada has 11% and China will be changing the name within a few years.
    7 of ever 10 GM vehicles are manufactured outside the USA and their new CEO seems rather proud of that fact.

• Wolfman Schläue~© 2012/06/12 18:54:31 (edited)
    Wolfman
    +3
    China Motors. Why didn't we sell it to them instead of giving it to them?
  • Schläue~© Wolfman 2012/06/12 19:28:55
    Schläue~©
    +1
    They have been slowly acquiring the company for quite a while.

Think about it... the factories are already there, they now have the R&D program, have all the technology and schematics to build the vehicles, the equipment to stamp out and manufacture the parts, the workforce and control where and when the vehicles are shipped.

All they have to do to cinch the deal is demand the Trillions we owe them as leverage and we're screwed.
    People in Europe, Asia, Africa and S. America aren't driving GM's built in the USA ..... they're already getting them shipped direct from where they're built.

They slap their own label on them and don't miss a beat. Who's gonna stop them from doing so?
  • Wolfman Schläue~© 2012/06/13 18:40:16
    Wolfman
    We made our bed. Now we can lie in it.
  • Schläue~© Wolfman 2012/06/13 18:50:48
    Schläue~©
    +1
    This is true but I wont miss them at all.
    Quite honestly, I used to be a firm Bow-Tie guy, but purchased my last GM product in 1997 ... a special order Yukon that put a Denali under the table.
    4WD, tow package, 3.73 rear end, and every creature comfort known to mankind.
    The thing was a pile of crap, constantly in the shop for a myriad of problems, I gave up and traded it in on a Ford Excursion.
  • Wolfman Schläue~© 2012/06/13 18:58:59
    Wolfman
    +1
    I personally know of three incidents all involving GM products where the wrong wheel was installed at the factory or the wheel was installed incorrectly. On the one involving a Yukon, the left front wheel disengaged from the Yukon during normal, highway travel killing all four occupants, all sorority sisters of my daughter. I won't miss them either.
  • Schläue~© Wolfman 2012/06/13 19:13:42
    Schläue~©
    They had a recall on 1980's models full size pickups because the fuel tanks were mounted outside the frame rails and trucks were igniting in side collisions.
    I took mine in and their 'fix-it' was to install an extra piece of sheet metal between the body and the tank.

I told them not to even bother and left. I had another recall on one of my WT1500's because they used an inferior primer and the paint was peeling off by itself. That recall wasn't advertised but there were a gazillion of their vehicles that had leprosy running around town.

Something changed after about 1978 and was all downhill from there.
  • Wolfman Schläue~© 2012/06/13 19:59:18
    Wolfman
    I believe that it was the UAW that changed combined with a management attitude of using the most inferior/cheapest materials that they could find. Materials failure meant more shop-time and more profit. I will never buy another UAW product. I will buy products assembled in America - Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Honda, etc.
  • Schläue~© Wolfman 2012/06/13 20:36:47
    Schläue~©
    The 'foreign brands' are more American than the Big Three.
    TOYOTA USA is just that.

I'll dream about this one. A 2006 concept truck that was scheduled for 2013.
    It's an F-250 Superchief V-10 designed to run on gasoline, straight ethanol or Hydrogen.
    Don't know if they're still going to build it but last estimate on the sticker was $200,000 + .... Ha Ha Ha

250 1 250 2
    250 3
  • Wolfman Schläue~© 2012/06/14 05:31:05
    Wolfman
    Anything involving the UAW is not in my crosshairs. I'll take a Tundra.
  • Josh Robinson 2012/06/12 18:03:12 (edited)
    NOT ENOUGH!!
    Josh Robinson
    +2
    ' 'THE REPUBLIC STILL STANDS' '....? ''When we think about all the TIME and EFFORT we put into you Soetoro it boils our blue blood that World Govt still eludes us''. Approve MORE SPENDING...MORE....MORE...MOR... BRING THIS NATION TO ITS KNEEEES...muuuuahahahahahahah... bilderberg menbers
  • Quietman ~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/12 18:01:43
    TOO MUCH!!!
    Quietman   ~PWCM~JLA
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/06/12 18:01:05
  • Starman 2012/06/12 17:54:26
    NOT ENOUGH!!
    Starman
    +1
    More should have been done to stimulate the economy and promote job growth. President Obama has proposed legislation to make this happen, but the GOP Mad Hatters have blocked so much of what he has tried to accomplish and then complained that he hasn't done enough.
  • SoD Starman 2012/06/12 18:34:33
    SoD
    +1
    Jobs/Stimulus Bills recycle tax revenue at an inherent loss and produce absolutely nothing.
  • Starman SoD 2012/06/12 22:20:29
    Starman
    +1
    Nice theory, but in practice stimulus spending has proven to be very effective in blunting the effects of a recession, and promoting a quicker recovery.

Recovery from this recession is much stronger than the last recession, but it certainly was a much deeper whole to climb out of. Recovery could have been even stronger if the GOP did not block every effort by the President.
  • SoD Starman 2012/06/13 00:56:36 (edited)
    SoD
    I'm not referring to any theory, but rather I am being gentle in my criticism of your use of the broken window fallacy.

• Starman SoD 2012/06/13 02:39:44
    Starman
    Applying the broken window fallacy in this situation is in itself a fallacy. Nice try.
  • SoD Starman 2012/06/13 03:05:13
    SoD
    Suggesting that a stimulus bill will promote economic growth is the epitome of the broken window fallacy.

If you believe funding the repair of our dilapidated infrastructure with tax revenue will stimulate economic growth, you must also think we ought to utilize widespread civil demolition followed by subsidized repairs. If you do not believe this, you are exhibiting cognitive dissonance.
  • Starman SoD 2012/06/13 03:38:27
    Starman
    I see you are on to the next fallacy... Reductio ad Absurdum.

You cannot deny that much of the infrastructure in the country is dilapidated and in need of repair. We have two choices, watch bridges, dams and roadways fail, or repair them. Spending the money on those projects is not a waste, it is a great use of public funds. In addition there are lots of other projects and technologies that will only advance with government funding. These are also good uses of public funds.

I am not suggesting destroying anything, just to make work. But increasing government funding to boost the economy when corporations are choosing not invest helps to balance the economy and boost it out of a recession.
  • SoD Starman 2012/06/13 04:10:04
    SoD
    "You cannot deny that much of the infrastructure in the country is dilapidated and in need of repair."

No, in fact I'm the one who brought it up.

"We have two choices, watch bridges, dams and roadways fail, or repair them. Spending the money on those projects is not a waste, it is a great use of public funds."

That doesn't change the fact that makings said repairs will not stimulate economic growth, nor does it change the fact that a notable portion of all stimulus funds go to pet projects rather than rebuilding infrastructure. It's a net economic loss, not a gain.

"In addition there are lots of other projects and technologies that will only advance with government funding."

For instance?

"I am not suggesting destroying anything, just to make work. But increasing government funding to boost the economy when corporations are choosing not invest helps to balance the economy and boost it out of a recession."

That's in essence the definition of the broken window fallacy.
  • Don Leuty Starman 2012/06/13 05:41:15
    Don Leuty
    Keep believing that and the history of the Weimar Republic will repeat itself. Cooked numbers do not a recovery make.

The only unemployment numbers that have improved are in the public sector. No value is created there. The private sector funds the public sector, and it is taking a beating. The parasites are draining the host.
  • Starman Don Leuty 2012/06/13 14:43:23
    Starman
    Flat out false. Public sector employment is down dramatically. Private sector hiring has more than made up for the decrease in public secor jobs, but the economy would be recovering more quickly if we kept public sector jobs higher for the interim.
  • Don Leuty Starman 2012/06/13 16:45:49
    Don Leuty
    National average unemployment is still above 8%, while unemployment in the public sector is 4.5%. 'Nuff said.
  • ConLibFraud 2012/06/12 17:51:23
    ConLibFraud
    +2
    Both Bushwacker and Ofraud have put America in jeopardy!

During this entire primary more of our rights have been taken away with more proof that the DRCP is just a criminal organization. I say it's time for We The People to take matters into our own hands starting with a nationwide tax revolt, stop paying all bank loans and implement a national plea for our military to remember they are citizens and come home and rescue their country and put up a fence around DC and call it the National Penitentiary. Then put all of them and their bankers on trial and punish them for treason.
  • beavith1 2012/06/12 17:48:25
    TOO MUCH!!!
    beavith1
    +3
    no brainer. wildly too much. thing is, all that money spent buys constituencies and those constituencies vote.
  • irish 2012/06/12 17:44:29
    TOO MUCH!!!
    irish
    +1
    all campaigning is a waste of money. how did it come to this? think how many people could be fed and housed with this money!
  • BlueRep... irish 2012/06/12 17:52:06
    BlueRepublican
    +1
    Glad to hear from ya' Irish. Yeah, it sucks.
  • irish BlueRep... 2012/06/12 20:11:00
    irish
    thanks! sucks big time!
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2012/06/12 17:43:37
    TOO MUCH!!!
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +3
    Let's put it this way. When I can't even write the dollar figure, that's too much!

Not only that, but most of that money left the US and went right back up to the 1%.

If you think otherwise, please tell me where you have seen the effects of his out-of-control spending. I haven't seen a dime come my way. No roadwork, no bridges, no nothing.
    TOO MUCH!!!
    +5
    Too much money, and on the wrong things.
  • keeper 2012/06/12 17:37:37
    TOO MUCH!!!
    keeper
    +4
    He has never earned a nickel in his life, and he has spent way too much of our money!
  • Sport_Geoff 2012/06/12 17:29:23
    Sport_Geoff
    +3
    I think that had we seen some actual "BENEFIT" from the trillion Obama p**sed away he wouldnt be in the position he is today. With all of the underhanded dealings and failed taxpayer backed ventures pushed by Obama it stands to reason that any sane and rational person would say.....STOP SPENDING as we didnt get anywhere near our moneys worth from the trillion already spent. There's just no way I am going to accept the logic of creating 15 - 20 jobs at a cost of 1 million plus each...especially when I consider that the jobs created are paying 100k or less a year with the surplus going into the owners bank accounts and the product being produced costing the end user double and triple of conventional products.
  • Sheila Sport_G... 2012/06/12 18:10:39
    Sheila
    +1
    But you don't sound undecided...lol.... applause
  • Sport_G... Sheila 2012/06/12 18:16:22
    Sport_Geoff
    +2
    Well, I will admit that not every single dollar Obama has spent has been p****ed away...just 90 - 95% of it. So, I guess my answer is.yes he has pissed away too much money.

Did you get stormed on early this morning? I lost electricity at 4 am and ended up getting ready by the light from a battery camp lantern. It stormed pretty good north of town..lots of wind, rain, and lightening.

2014/11/01 03:46:11