Has Marijuana been apart of American heritage since before we were the United Sates of America?

bob 2012/05/29 15:34:27
Related Topics: Marijuana, America, American
Marijuana has been apart of American heritage since before we were the United Sates of America
Marijuana has not been apart of American heritage since before we were the United Sates of America
Prohibitions do not work. Legalize Marijuana Now!
Prohibition on Marijuana support the alcohol industry
Prohibition on Marijuana support the police state

• bags the Indigenous Guru 2012/05/29 15:41:52 (edited)
    bags the Indigenous Guru
    +6
    this is all a tempest in a tea POT. Seriously. With designer drugs devastating people we continue to waste our time and money and effort focusing on a drug that cannot kill the user, has MULTIPLE beneficial uses (medically and otherwise), and can grow darn near anywhere. But, big business won't have it. Do some reading on how this substance was made illegal, who funded the movement and why. I have FAR bigger worries than whether my next door neighbor smokes a number when he gets home from work.
    funded movement bigger worries door neighbor smokes number home work funded movement bigger worries door neighbor smokes number home work funded movement bigger worries door neighbor smokes number home work

• doc moto 2012/06/17 12:20:26
    Marijuana has been apart of American heritage since before we were the United...
    doc moto
    +1
    Used as an OIL and as originally intended, very good for society; the historical good has been made evil and it is evil to ban such a product that is as natural as your shoes!
  • docdj 2012/06/07 17:07:34 (edited)
    docdj
    +1
    My great grandmother (b. 1888 d. 1984) told me that they sold cannabis in various forms (tincture, dried for teas) in the local store. No prescrip. needed. They used it for relaxation, menstrual cramps, etc.
    I hope I live as long as her!
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... docdj 2012/06/08 08:26:39
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    Back 'round the turn of the OTHER century, cannabis, opium & cocaine were LEGAL & common in over-the-counters, but so was RADIUM, tinture of weed was available till 1937.
  • Paul 2012/05/31 13:42:57
    Paul
    +1
    Hemp and the good stuff to get high are different strands of the plant. Restrictions put on the use of marijuana got serious with the feds around the same time they were trying to restrict the use of tobacco and alcohol 1920s -- 30s. Like so many things, it was easy to make laws protecting us from ourselves, but removing them is more difficult. The basic plant isn't so dangerous, but potent pharmaceuticals can be made extracting the THC, potent enough to be a controlled substance, too easy to grow, and too difficult for the Feds to control if made legal. Feds should decriminalize marijuana, but I'm not holding my breath, it's all a control issue, too hard to control.

Pot will grow wild like a weed, I say everyone get themselves a handful of seeds and just start planting it everywhere and anywhere there is open space.
    +1
    It was known as HEMP and was farmed for rope, paper and all sorts of things.
  • Deeds Not Words! 2012/05/31 00:36:35
    Deeds Not Words!
    Only someone with little to contribute to society would even ask that question. There is nothing positive or uplifting with "any" drug use. Intoxicated people have nothing to offer a society facing extreme challenges. To include the very survival of our great experiment in the rights of the individual over the state. A stoned citizen makes a lousy defender of anyone's rights. They are all self-centered and stuck on stupid!
  • bob Deeds N... 2012/06/04 14:01:28
    bob
    same as tobacco usage, Alcohol usage and coffie / energy drinks. Yes you are stuck on stupid
  • Deeds N... bob 2012/06/15 02:01:16
    Deeds Not Words!
    No stupid is as stupid does. I don't do stupid or illegal things. P.S. a little caffeine is actually heathy. None of the other are.
    +1
    some American Indians use it in some tribal rituals today
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... Mike 2012/05/31 06:01:21
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    Canabbis is not native to the New World. The 1st Nations use tobacco for cereonial purposes but seemed to only use it sparingly, the ignorant Europeans wents nut over it and reciprocated by providing the Locals with Alcohol.

Call it a Fair Trade ad hoc.
  • mamacrash 2012/05/30 13:38:29
    mamacrash
    +1
    Herbs have been a part of almost all societies since the beginning of time and that is a good thing. I will take hungry, horny and silly over the pharmacy meds any day. I have seen too many people get hooked on doctor's meds that mess with their minds and no good comes from them.
  • Sadisticon 2012/05/30 11:44:09
    Sadisticon
    +2
    Oh please don't assail me for this but I had to choose this answer because the preposition "apart" is not the same as the noun particle "a part". It made me grind my teeth when I saw that and i know you didn't mean it and I don't want to be the language fascist but it's just the way it is. See what I did there? There's a bunch of grammatical inconsistencies in this statement but they are not related to comprehension.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... Sadisticon 2012/05/31 06:10:09
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +2
    I can be a(n Anal) WORD NERD myself and consider only 4 answers; Yay, Nay, somewhere between or a blank box to fill adequate. The two top answers contradicted each other which would make 'All of the Above' inane.

Quaint Computer/Statistics acronym > GIGO: Garbage In, Garbage Out.

give it a D
  • Aahz_OneAndOnly 2012/05/30 06:50:20
    Aahz_OneAndOnly
    +2
    “Make the most you can of the Indian Hemp seed and sow it everywhere.”
    - George Washington, U.S. President quote on Hemp
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... Aahz_On... 2012/05/31 06:17:31
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +2
    Up here in the Pacific Northwest, we would not need to cut any more trees for paper if hemp was planted in the clearcuts, it would supply more fiber suitable for pulp while being useless for smoking (our damp climate), some could be grown for oilseed too. It's a versatile plant.

BTW, cauliflower, turnip, brocolli, kohl rabi, Brussels sprouts & kale are from the same SPEICES of plant. How's that for diversity?
  • Aahz_On... ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/06/01 00:59:43
    Aahz_OneAndOnly
    +1
    I agree

hemp legalize it
    hemp legalize it
  • mac9 2012/05/30 01:26:06
    mac9
    Your love affair with Obama and pot explains everything.
  • bob mac9 2012/05/30 13:42:31
    bob
    +1
    Ok tightie whitie
  • Sadisticon bob 2012/05/30 22:51:09
  • mac9 Sadisticon 2012/05/31 15:15:31
    mac9
    BITE ME LOSER!!
  • mac9 bob 2012/05/31 15:15:09
    mac9
    Again F off loser. Like other liberal losers you can dish it out but not take it. Liberals will have a much different fight this time. Obama and liberalism is going down. Again LOSER!
  • alun.palmer 2012/05/29 22:23:00
    alun.palmer
    +3
    Legalise it!
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... alun.pa... 2012/06/03 15:43:15
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    Great Peter Tosh (Toke in Peace) Album.
  • D.C.Verdone 2012/05/29 21:06:05
    D.C.Verdone
    +2
    Indians used it before we did.
  • gaylehelen 2012/05/29 19:39:49
    gaylehelen
    +2
    "Undecided" because I didn't like any of the above. I know we used hemp for clothing and important paper documents early in US American history. Not up on my history of marijuana, but I think it was native to South America. I'm not gonna cheat and google it, just what I thought to be true. They probably had several purposes for it, too. That's when humanity used up every bit of what they took from the natural world and found a purpose for it. They could kill a large mammal, leave just a trace, through trial and error find purposeful tools or use, i.e. leave little "carbon footprint".
    Gee, it sounds so brilliant now.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... gaylehelen 2012/05/31 06:23:09
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    Cannabis originally came from Siberia, think the Europeans brought it over mainly for fiber & oilseed. But George Washington is on record for being familiar with Sinsemilla horticulture to increase potency.
  • gaylehelen ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/06/07 21:30:10
    gaylehelen
    +1
    Thanks for the info. Interesting.
    Jefferson also grew hemp for textiles.
  • Ron in Oregon 2012/05/29 19:08:36
    Ron in Oregon
    +2
    Everyone knows that is a version of the hemp plant that was used fro rope making.
    Since I do not smoke cigarettes, I will not smoke marijuana.
    I am working on a device that will allow the user to administer both alcohol and THC at the same time.
    Marijuana and hops are related plants so all you have to do is cross breed them and make beer with them.
  • Sadisticon Ron in ... 2012/05/30 11:46:46
    Sadisticon
    I think they do that in the Netherlands. I want a chewing gum.
  • Ron in ... Sadisticon 2012/05/30 19:49:48
    Ron in Oregon
    +1
    That is an alternative idea.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... Ron in ... 2012/05/31 15:47:49
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    True, Cannabis var. & Humulus lupulus are closest relatives. I have some tea for sleeping containing it, has lupuline which is kinda like THC. Perhaps cross-breeding (no GMO please) could produce something in time… Growers, start your Roto-Tillers. There was an urban legend that you could splice a (legal) hop vine onto Cannabis (not yet) rootstock and it would have THC but hops don't naturally have the protiens to synthesize this.

Being soluble in alcohol does endear making beer out of it (when you only want one, inhaling a six-pac could get you too over-stoned likely passing out & wasting it.
  • Ron in ... ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/05/31 20:52:58
    Ron in Oregon
    +1
    I have never grown either one, but I only thought about cross pollinating.
  • George Zook 2012/05/29 18:01:39
    George Zook
    +2
    I have very libertarian views on this subject ... the states should decide how they approach use by their citizens and fund their own enforcement efforts ... the federal .gov should stay out of it and use the saved billions to fund education, healthcare, infrastructure repair and other programs ... what we have been doing has failed ... inflated the profits from sales and is destabilizing economies all over the world
  • Wolfman 2012/05/29 17:57:05
    Wolfman
    Who cares?
  • Thierry 2012/05/29 17:44:30
    Thierry
    +2
    It certainly is a part of Amsterdams history(and present day)
  • gkirmani 2012/05/29 17:39:43
    gkirmani
    +1
    ANd precisely In Most of the US Politician it is in thier DNA now

They are not in thier own self
  • LittleScroll 2012/05/29 17:33:04
    LittleScroll
    drug abuse is never good, it is a leading cause of wasted potential
  • Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2012/05/29 17:25:47
    Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • EddyGee53 2012/05/29 16:55:39
    EddyGee53
    +1
    If you are infering the tribal use of hemp by the American Indians as the basis for your question then I have to point out that there were no American Indians before 1776 nor was there an America nor a heritage to be a part of.
  • Solomon... EddyGee53 2012/05/29 20:12:40
    Solomonster
    Really? Where did you learn that?

2014/10/30 18:14:03