HAS EVERYONE GONE BLOCKING MAD!!!

Mary Mary 2013/02/26 11:57:01
Related Topics: Block
Once you got a warning when someone was going to block you NOW they block for no reason. What's wrong with everyone.

• Fallout 2013/02/26 13:08:05
    I agree
    Fallout
    +10
    I will never block anyone for any reason.

I've been blocked by libs and cons. Most of the blocks are by the far right
    that don't believe in free speech and enjoy preaching to the choir.

Peace to all from a lib.

• LayLady 2013/03/14 08:08:09
    I agree
    LayLady
    They're dumb or they're wrong.
  • Marianne 2013/03/05 14:09:14
    Other
    Marianne
    Wow, I have finally taken the time to look into this blocking function. I had it often enough before my eyes, but neglected it totally.

Normally, one has to go into the "page" of the user concerned, where you can send a personal message. When you are using the cursor, be careful, as the blocking function is near the button to open the box of the message. So, it might happen by accident, but I am sure that you can also deblock at once when you realise it. Actually, I did not try ...

If you are blocked, you can answer to yourself on the question which caused the blocking. Usually, a rude answer will inform you that you were blocked on purpose.

In case of insults or discrimination, you can report about abuse.
  • No One 2013/03/01 18:48:57
    Other
    No One
    +1
    There is always some reason for blocking although some people will block for good reason and some for some reason that no one would guess. I have once been premtively blocked as someone with a mermaid as her avatar posted a reply to a reply to my post in which she posted a link to one of her polls about blocking. There are other instances where I have been blocked by someone that I didn't know on SH and in which I didn't know why I was blocked.

I tend to block those who don't actually attack my argument but instead try to use something about me personally to say that I don't have an argument. For instance if someone just says that because of my spelling I shouldn't be taken seriosely I am willing to block that person as that person isn't actually contributing to the discussion and in fact is detracting from it by providing a distraction from the argument at hand. I may block someone for a post that has some actual substance but if I do it is because the person has thrown some insults and not because I am afraid of the actual substance in that persons post.

I think I should also mention that while I understand why people would block people for raving abusive content I don't block people for what they rave because it's too easy to rave something by accident especially if you are going threw and raving a bunch of posts and it is impossible to unrave someone.
  • debhead 2013/03/01 06:45:53
    Other
    debhead
    I've never been blocked.
  • Tattoo Nana 2013/03/01 03:17:15
    Other
    Tattoo Nana
    I think I got blocked once, lol I don't even know how to block someone, although I'm sure I could figure it out if needed. I think that blocking someone who doesn't agree with you just shows you as very shallow. The very basis of this site is to encourage debate and learn new things. I think someone who does a lot of blocking is just a jerk who is too scared to get into a REAL discussion with others.
  • Xerxes 2013/02/28 20:07:48
    Other
    Xerxes
    +1
    Blocking is never done without a reason; you may not be privy to it. It could be something as: You have successfully dis proven their argument or something as moronic as: Because it's raining. The blockee does not need a reason only the blocker does
  • Junior the Outer Space Musi... 2013/02/28 19:05:45
    I agree
    Junior the Outer Space Music Man
    +1
    To me, it shows a lack of respect for any opinions except theirs. And as far as I know, this site is still an opinion site, meaning everyone's opinions should be heard, even if one disagrees with them.
  • Matt 2013/02/28 15:11:37 (edited)
    I agree
    Matt
    +2
    The only reason that I have ever blocked anybody is for extremely foul language and name calling.

It shows a definite lack of debate and language skills.
    Argument Fallacies
  • FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK 2013/02/27 07:50:39
    Other
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    Not me . I am not a kid .
  • John Walker II 2013/02/27 00:45:08 (edited)
    Other
    John Walker II
    +4
    The only people I've blocked are the egregious examples of human scum, who at the first drop of the hat, retaliate against your own opinions with slander and insults.

The test I use is basically...
    - Are they being disrespectful,
    - Is their any value in responding,
    - Is this something that should be reported as abusive
    - Is this a pattern

If the answer to all of those is yes, then they most certainly qualify for a block. If not... then maybe I'm just irritated and need to take a step back first. I'll check my response (most times) before I respond with an action I may regret.

More often then not, generally if I'm going to block them, it'll be something I'm also liable to report to the admins for as well.
  • Magus BN-0 2013/02/27 00:15:48
    I agree
    Magus BN-0
    +4
    My experience has been that the majority of blocking comes from cowards who can't stand being exposed to opinions they don't agree with.
  • Daring ... Magus BN-0 2013/02/27 00:47:47
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    +3
    Agreed.
  • dru dixon 2013/02/27 00:05:42
    I agree
    dru dixon
    +4
    Because they can't stand the facts from a rational person. Could you just block a person in real life? No!
  • Freedom Mom 2013/02/26 23:57:15
    Other
    Freedom Mom
    +6
    Some BLOCK under the influence. LOL I look at Blocking as a choice and sodaheads have the right to choose.

I could careless, if Iam blocked its a blessing. I don't have to deal with the nonsense anymore. LOL
  • Stardust Freedom... 2013/02/28 04:03:06
  • Freedom... Stardust 2013/03/04 05:13:48
    Freedom Mom
    +1
    Thank you. :)
  • Zippcodey Freedom... 2013/03/04 03:42:18
    Zippcodey
    +1
    lol, I've been blocked so many times, I think I need to leave Sodahead since there aren't too many questions I can answer anymore, under religious and political. lol
  • Freedom... Zippcodey 2013/03/04 05:28:33
    Freedom Mom
    +1
    I bet LOL The TRUTH will be revealed about man-made religions very soon! So many owe you a well deserved apology. So many can't grasp what you have studied. I have some good news. Some are asking me about what your speaking about and I tell them you are telling the TRUTH. I lead them to information so they can decern for theirselves. So my dear friend, you are being noticed and your message of truth are getting some to question, what they have excepted. Keep up the good work. I would NEVER BLOCK you.

LOL SO many could learn so much from you. Your a beacon of LIght in a time of Darkness. I will always cherish our friendship Zipp.
  • Zippcodey Freedom... 2013/03/04 05:41:57
    Zippcodey
    +1
    I guess the ones who block me are the deaf ears then huh? lol. You know how to make a guy feel good, thanks.

Thanks again, as I do yours too.. you are much appreciated.
  • Freedom... Zippcodey 2013/03/04 06:05:38 (edited)
    Freedom Mom
    +1
    Yep, but when the TRUTH comes out for all to see, if they have any sence of decency they SHOULD apologize to you.
    Iam just telling the truth, you shine above the rest. Its just a connection I have with some, not many but there are some sodaheads I just can connect with it sort of just pops out over the computer screen. LOL

Your welcome, but all of what I said is more than well deserved. You are making progress, so never stop telling the truth. Something Big is going to happen at the Vatican this Easter, and the Queen is in the hospital hidding out. Ooops! A great Revealing is coming very soon. Iam just keeping my ear to the ground and waiting for more info. When this all comes out, we BOTH will be smiling while others will remain scratching their heads. LOL The truth is to big to hide. :)
  • Zippcodey Freedom... 2013/03/04 14:56:28
    Zippcodey
    +1
    We must be kindred spirits, lol, at least we are on the right road and all the sheep with deaf ears will soon wake-up to the true reality of what is happening. I believe a lot of it has to do with Christianity, what will happen when people figure out that it is false and they have been lied to for nearly 2 thousand years of it's lies and the very head of it is the Pope himself. The truth will set people free, and they need to study, while we still have the opportunity to have that access.
  • Freedom... Zippcodey 2013/03/04 17:59:44
    Freedom Mom
    +1
    I would have to agree with you. :)
  • Rev. J. B. 2013/02/26 23:53:29
    Other
    Rev. J. B.
    +3
    I block and I have been blocked. Being blocked doesn't mean you won the argument. Sometimes it simply means that you (I don't mean you personally mary mary) have been rude, or are harassing, or have made other comments that someone finds offensive for whatever reason. Some people will block I've noticed for "blasphemy". (I don't know how they defined blasphemy but I'm guessing they didn't know the actual definition of the word) I'm far more likely to block someone who is abusive than someone who disagrees with me. But hey everyone has a different tolerance to abuse.
  • Seriously Folks 2013/02/26 23:12:48
    I agree
    Seriously Folks
    The GOP/TEA!
  • Stardust 2013/02/26 22:06:40
  • Savious 2013/02/26 21:16:39
    Other
    Savious
    +3
    Don't know why people block; but I do know I have been in some rather heated arguments; where the poster ended up posting something; then blocking me, making it appear like I wouldn't respond.

Personally, it seems rather childish to me; kind of like taking your toys and going home.
  • Freeranger 2013/02/26 20:32:28
    Other
    Freeranger
    +2
    Hey listen. Those people who block on a whim are precisely the ones you never wanted to invest time in to begin with. They're doing you a favor darlin'. Think about it.
  • scurvison 2013/02/26 20:29:15
  • Tortoise 2013/02/26 20:22:24
    I agree
    Tortoise
  • leslie 2013/02/26 19:18:15
    Other
    leslie
    +1
    In general I do not block people. It's usually pointless.
    I think most people that block are people who do not have the intelligence to defend their positions clearly, concisely and articulately. So they block so that they don't have to defend their lame unsubstantiated beliefs.
    It's usually an act of someones desperation to look solid in their opinions
    I know I blocked one person for open forum personal attacks but other than that i don't off the top of my head know of too many others.
  • sbtbill 2013/02/26 19:06:45
    I agree
    sbtbill
    +3
    People seem to have decided that they can't defend their values and so they block to avoid hearing disagreement.
  • L1 2013/02/26 19:00:23
    Other
    L1
    +2
    Nope, I've been blocked, an have blocked others that I won't put with their harassing. It does not bother me.
  • sneekyfoot 2013/02/26 18:42:46
    Other
    sneekyfoot
    maybe
  • cut and paste king 2013/02/26 18:35:24
    I agree
    cut and paste king
    +4
    half of this board has me blocked for defending obama
  • Mary Mary cut and... 2013/02/26 22:15:52
    Mary Mary
    +3
    Me too!!!
  • Space Invader 2013/02/26 18:29:28
    I agree
    Space Invader
    +6
    they are jealous of me and you..[...]
  • Old Nellie Bones 2013/02/26 18:12:57
    I agree
    Old Nellie Bones
    +4
    They can't stand the heat. They make snide comments then block. it just tells me that they lost, and cannot defend their position. It's a badge of honor.
  • Nareen Lake 2013/02/26 18:12:29
    Other
    Nareen Lake
    +3
    I friended a girl on Facebook who was ex-military (so she said) and was a liberal/progressive. She didn't like my posts and one day she wrote on my wall, "You are lucky that I haven't put a bullet through your head." She was instantly blocked and other friends who read what she wrote turned her into Facebook. Blocking is totally necessary at times.
  • Daring ... Nareen ... 2013/02/27 00:57:41
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    +2
    THAT is how the feature should be used! That is a legitimate reason to block. However, that is not what anti-blocking people are against. We, as a rule, are against blocking for opinion. THAT is why MOST people block.

My favorite threat I have received came to me when I posted a joke about Muhammad. A Muslim girl from the Middle East said she was going to pray that I contract a blood clot on my brain! I did not block her because I am not afraid of Allah, but I did laugh and shared the incident with everyone I know for days.
  • Car1u5~PWCM~JLA 2013/02/26 18:01:46
    Other
    Car1u5~PWCM~JLA
    not that i have noticed.

2014/10/24 09:36:32