Has does TV have more Harm Than Good?

☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2011/03/06 04:59:32
Related Topics: invention, Opera, Rights
TV has done  Harm To America
TV is Good it Educates America
I love Televison
I love My Corporation masters who tell me TV is good so it must be good why would they lie
TV shows me the World a way  no other medium could
The problem with TV is the Crappy TV shows
The problem with TV is
We have become a nation of Zombies
watching TV buying everything from what we watch on TV
nation zombiesnbsp watching tv watch tv
we are turning into a generation of Zombies with vulgar habits. So a big debate has started among the wise as to whether TV has more harms than benefits. Let’s find out whether we should we regret or enjoy the invention of TV
habits debate wise tv harms benefits regret enjoy invention tv
It has been almost 80 years since TV was first introduced to our lives. Initially it was just confined to educational programs but now it has lots of bad in it. To be more correct it has only bad in it because although a TV in itself is not evil, the programs that are telecast are very harmful. There is vulgarity up to the extent of pornography, served up to us in the name of entertainment in soap operas, dramas, music videos and even quizzes and sports. This is not the case with newspapers and books. There are options in books; we have good books and bad books to choose from but what about TV? Do we have any choice? In fact every TV program is competing to be more obscene and put more alluring content to grab more ratings. The governments are too busy taking in the large revenues they earn from TV companies to intervene. There is no accountability. So TV has spoiled our tastes, our spending habits, our choices and also our morals. Today people celebrate sex and extravagance as achievements.
tastes spending habits choices morals people celebrate sex extravagance achievements

There are good programs on TV, not all programs are bad; there are History programs, Discovery channels, the BBC news service, children’s learning programs and many such channels that inform us a lot about academic things. Will you shun them too and remain uninformed just because of a few ads in between? You can easily ignore the ads; even young children know ads give a false impression to make you buy something. Over the last years, TV has increased the IQ of our generation and opened our eyes to all that we could do with our lives. Millions of people are getting jobs because they learnt new ideas, new languages, and new opportunities from TV throughout the globe.

lives millions people jobs learnt ideas languages opportunities tv globe

TV may have evil things presented but are all TV programs devilish? What about humanitarian appeals during natural calamities? TV has exposed many scams that would have caused more harm to nations. It has given us a lot of health information to keep us safe. And there are so many programs on TV, which speak up for human rights, animal rights, children’s rights, etc. Governments and companies may want to keep us watching passively, but they cannot control how we watch TV. In the Arab world watching protests on TV brought many people out on the streets to change society, even when their government programs told them to stay at home.

tv people streets change society government programs told stay home

People in these days are content to slump down in front of the television. As the Americans would say, they are couch potatoes. Is it any surprise that the people are getting so fat, when they don’t take any exercise because of TV? Children used to run and play in the fields and streets, but now TV has captured them inside. What will happen to our youth when this generation doesn’t even study and read its books for school, but only stares at a screen full of violence and sex in the evening?generation study read books school stares screen violence sex evening

• Not-A-RINO 2011/03/06 05:20:04
    The problem with TV is
    Not-A-RINO
    +6
    Of course moderation is the best policy for most people.

The problems I have with TV are:

1. Too many parents use the boob tube as a convenient babysitter.

2. As we have seen in the last presidential election, far too many people are duped by media packaging rather than substance. Far too many people allow the talking heads on TV to do all their thinking.

3. Too many shows require their viewers to have no more than a 50 IQ.

4. Too many shows are on prime time when impressionable minds see all sorts of objectionable content. Of course, in many cases, parents don't screen the shows for their kids. Why? See point #1.

5. Stations like CSPAN have made the Three Stooges shorts obsolete.

• This is W³ 2011/10/31 08:48:42
    TV is Good it Educates America
    This is W³
    It really depends on the kind of programming one watches.
  • KinnUzumaki 2011/03/11 10:16:23
    I love Televison
    KinnUzumaki
    :D
  • mae 2011/03/08 23:51:31
    TV shows me the World a way no other medium could
    mae
    I love TV for its education potential [Sesame Street, Read Between The Lions, Etc.], the unequaled news coverage, and access to networks known for other viewpoints [ BBC, KBS, AsiaNews, JBN, etc.] Tv's biggest problem now is the poor network programming that continues to offer reality TV as a viable option for the viewing public. NO THANKS.
  • Myrle Hulme 2011/03/08 07:09:49
    The problem with TV is
    Myrle Hulme
    It shows how stupid SA was when they lost the cricket by 6 runs and the my partner is depressed and want's to sell it.LOL
  • Michael McFascist 2011/03/07 22:01:58
    I love Televison
    Michael McFascist
  • Flea 2011/03/07 05:12:13
    I love Televison
    Flea
    ... but like everything else now, the main problem is oversaturation. 35 years ago we had 5 standard channels on tv- ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, an independent local station, and maybe a short range Spanish station. After 1AM, just turn it off, because there was nothing but test patterns, unless the local station had a "late late late" show ( usually some B-movie from the 30s) on until 3. Then, cable came along. HBO and Cinemax were all the rage in the mid 70's. Movies! Only a year old! ON my TV! How delightful!
    But that wasn't good enough. We needed more. We needed television 24 hours a day, dagnabbit! Enter Superstation. Ted Turner. TNT. TBS. USA Network. Then we needed weather 24 hours a day. Then shopping at home with HSN, later with QVC. Then music videos 24/7 with MTV.
    Then, the greedy TV and ad execs lost their minds, and took quite a few of us with them- whether it was willingly or not is definitely up for debate, but they did it.
    News 24 hours a day. Stock quotes. Sports. Cooking. Home renovation. We have Senate business available on CSPAN anytime we choose. Kid's shows. Hell, they're even targeting babies now with that fking lullaby network or whatever it's called. I guess the corporations are now grooming infants into dutiful minions of the idiot box. Oh,and let us not f...
    News 24 hours a day. Stock quotes. Sports. Cooking. Home renovation. We have Senate business available on CSPAN anytime we choose. Kid's shows. Hell, they're even targeting babies now with that fking lullaby network or whatever it's called. I guess the corporations are now grooming infants into dutiful minions of the idiot box. Oh,and let us not forget those amazing half-hour commercials between 3 and 6 AM, or that actually fill several of my available channel slots in the cable package I spend 150$ a month on because they have no other wholesome programming to show me. Think about this: I am paying someone to show me a program about how to SELL me something! If THAT is not insane, I sure don't know what is. THAT'S when you know you've reached the oversaturation mark.
    So, yes, I love TV. But I also have the knowledge, and -more importantly- the self-control-to turn the thing off and go do something else. Now where did I put those reading glasses????
  • hayesml47 2011/03/07 03:31:14
    The problem with TV is
    hayesml47
    The TV has great potential and just like the human race it has squandered a great deal of that potential doing very dumb and more recently, very un-patriotic, things As if it is not bad enough that our government has allowed our public schools to be dumbed down, our TV networks are adding even dumber drival in their so-called "reality" shows. It is hard to say which is more ignorant between the "realism" shows and the following of celebrities and politicians in the news!
  • Shelby 2011/03/07 02:58:40
    I love Televison
    Shelby
    i think it's like everything in this world you need to do in in moderation. if it wasn't for television a lot of wouldn't know what is going on the world. Television has it's place.
  • Açorda 2011/03/07 02:09:52
    Açorda
    +2
    It is difficult to find another media that could lie so much and call it "unbiased information"...
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Açorda 2011/03/07 03:18:38
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    lol
  • Salley 2011/03/07 01:50:51
    The problem with TV is
    Salley
    I almost never watch TV... I mostly just use it to hook my xbox in and play Dragon Age...
  • JanHopkins 2011/03/07 01:40:54
    The problem with TV is
    JanHopkins
    My husband rarely turns it off. Also I miss commercial breaks when watching movies. I used to be able to get a lot of housework done on those breaks. I have become audio dependent on it. I can't sleep without the noise now and that kind of makes me scared of what messages could be drilled into my subconsious mind while asleep. I used to spend more time reading than watching tv but now it's got an addictive quality that I think is intentional.
  • Mark 2011/03/06 23:56:16
    The problem with TV is
    Mark
    People take it too seriously or literally. It's just like any other art form. It's all an exchange of ideas. Someone is trying to portray their idea of something to you. That doesn't make it the truth, even if it is on the news. Sure, there is a basis of truth if it's on the news, but rarely are all sides portrayed, because the media wants to get the most out of their spots.
  • MaggotShawol101 2011/03/06 20:58:58
    The problem with TV is
    MaggotShawol101
    The wishful, impossible images it delivers to impressionable children.
  • Jannbana 2011/03/06 16:00:32
    The problem with TV is
    Jannbana
    It is a platform to spread propaganda and lies. The more outrages something is, the more attention it gets whether it is destructive or not. Our attraction with the extreme is puzzling.

spread propaganda lies outrages attention destructive attraction extreme puzzling Drunk Charlie sheen

spread propaganda lies outrages attention destructive attraction extreme puzzling 1000 ways to die

spread propaganda lies outrages attention destructive attraction extreme puzzling Fox News
  • daya 2011/03/06 15:58:34
    I love My Corporation masters who tell me TV is good so it must be good why w...
    daya
    +1
    First of all, get your grammar straight: Has does TV have more Harm Than Good?
    Because your question is evidence of a nation gone wrong.
    Has TV done more harm than good? would be grammatically correct. What an embarrassment!
    Now. Your main paragraphs identify pluses and minuses of tv. They are all valid points, IMHO. But before I go any further, I must confess I do not own a tv.

It may be better to have the stupidity of the human race out in front of us so we can comment on it and react against it. However, if we don't learn to evaluate what we see, we are in trouble. The ability to evaluate is predicated on the foundation of a set of standards. Herein lies the essential question.
    Are we as humans equipped with an internal genetic predisposition to ethical/moral behavior which we use in small, then larger groups to create sane, healthy systems for living? Or are we ignorant animals that mimic what we see around us?
    Are studio executives designing and addressing ignorant television content to our ignorance or to our intelligence?
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... daya 2011/03/06 16:02:05
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    i wrote the questions this way to poke humor
    SHEESH
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... daya 2011/03/06 16:02:38
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    ABC is owned by disney
    disney made lion king

abc disney disney lion king lion king nazi gif
  • daya ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/03/06 16:10:37
    daya
    I loved Lion King!
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... daya 2011/03/06 16:44:33
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    so did i till i realized its got messages of nazi wih the hyena
    wtf was the animators smoking when they put that scene in
  • daya ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/03/06 18:55:40
    daya
    Perhaps trying to warn the upcoming generation about the mechanisms, dynamics and dangers of totalitarianism. Instilling in the young the vision that totalitarianism can be defeated. The good will triumph.
  • MaggotS... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/03/06 20:59:43
    MaggotShawol101
    NOOOO DON'T DISS LION KING!
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... MaggotS... 2011/03/06 23:56:38
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    tell me what does this look like to you

does it look like this
  • MaggotS... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/03/11 17:52:24
    MaggotShawol101
    I know I know but still TT.TT c'mon most kids that watch that don't even notice
  • Matt M 2011/03/06 15:48:47
    TV has done Harm To America
    Matt  M
    +1
    I was going to say something, but me no thinking good now. gtg, Simpsons coming on.
  • -sasman- 2011/03/06 15:46:19
    The problem with TV is
    -sasman-
    TV News has become MTV. Their 'packages' are mini-music-videos. They have the graphics, the music, and the pulsing 'song' that stir the current rage we see all over.
  • Gloria 2011/03/06 15:23:02
    I love Televison
    Gloria
    +4
    When I was little there was no 24/7 TV. You had to watch the Indian until Howdy Doody came on.
  • Matt M Gloria 2011/03/06 15:47:47
    Matt  M
    hehe...that horribly racist Indian! If that was done today, there would be test pattern equality rallies!
  • Gloria Matt M 2011/03/06 15:50:00
    Gloria
    It certainly would be a problem now! Things used to be fun.
  • DDogbreath 2011/03/06 15:01:37
    TV has done Harm To America
    DDogbreath
    Look at who it elected president of our country in 08!
  • Sissy 2011/03/06 13:06:35
    The problem with TV is
    Sissy
    +4
    There are several of your choices that I could have picked.

Suffice to say that part of the problem with the obesity in children that we have in this country is because they plunk their little butts down in front of the screen or at the computer for way too many hours. When I was a kid (and yes before television), you wouldn't have caught me in the house on a warm summer day unless I was ill with a raging fever. You don't see kids riding bicycles, having pick-up games on the baseball fields, spending the entire day at the swimming pools anymore. I look at my own grandchildren in amazement and no little chargrin that they will be doing nothing all day but work their fingers or their remote controls. Very, very sad.
  • -sasman- Sissy 2011/03/06 15:48:40
    -sasman-
    +3
    Sissy, It is sad how things have changed. I remember going out in the summer in the morning, maybe coming home for lunch, and then coming back at dinner. Now, everyone is way to afraid, perhaps rightfully so, to let their children out with out a 'watchful eye.'
  • Sissy -sasman- 2011/03/06 17:15:05
    Sissy
    +2
    You are right sasman, there is more need for a watchful eye in these times, and those of us who remember, regret that kids don't have that joyfullness of being a kid anymore. We never, ever gave a thought to what was lurking around a corner.

While I agree that parents and caregivers do have much more to worry about, I also believe that for most kids they have grown just plain used to being entertained electronically and have mostly lost spontaniety.
  • -sasman- Sissy 2011/03/07 01:27:58
    -sasman-
    +1
    No doubt about being entertained. I was blessed enough to have a man, a mentor in my life that was 95 when he passed. I was in the hospital room when it happened and I cried for me and for the fact that he was no longer in the world for it needs more like him.

Anyhow, he had many wise sayings. He was a German Jew who had a very heavy German accent and looked like a little elf. He used to say, "Peeeeta, we have become seduced by the entertainment industry."

heavy german accent looked elf peeeeta seduced entertainment industry bettmann the pictureman
  • AngelDeath of Darkness *-_-* 2011/03/06 11:27:37
    I love Televison
    AngelDeath of Darkness *-_-*
    TV, cell phones, computers and intenet r the best things ever!!!
  • buzzwald juneberry 2011/03/06 11:25:57
    The problem with TV is
    buzzwald juneberry
    Most all programming today sucks, that's why I don't watch it much at all. The news programs are incomplete and biased, depending on what station you watch, the entertainment aspect is anything but entertaining, and the advertising treats people as though they're complete morons. Now and then I do enjoy history shows and nature programs, but other than that, to hell with T.V.
  • RogerCoppock 2011/03/06 11:03:42 (edited)
    RogerCoppock
    +1
    TV is just a communications medium. By itself, it is as neutral as a blank sheet of paper, an empty canvas, or any other tabula rasa. TV is the information it carries.

I'm not OK with most of the freight carried to me by my TV. Are you?
  • David (oYo) 2011/03/06 10:39:50
  • future blk 2011/03/06 09:59:41 (edited)
    The problem with TV is
    future blk
    the indirect messages and attack on the subconscious mind make the average viewer a mere Spongebob... indirect messages attack subconscious mind average viewer spongebob spongebob laughingor carbon copy. messages attack subconscious mind average viewer spongebob carbon copy
  • Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of ... 2011/03/06 09:30:53
    I love Televison
    Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of PHAET
    +1
    I don't really love television, just couldn't decide between the answers. Only one station ever gets viewed in my house, and that's ABC kids. Otherwise, it's the thing that plays DVD's or video games.
    I don't think television is harmful. There's an off button for a reason, anyone with a brain knows it should be used in moderation. If you choose to watch it day in and day out, that's a personal decision, and you only have yourself to blame for what consequences that may have.

2014/10/23 21:21:43