Harvard Prof. Alan Dershowitz: Zimmerman Arrest Affidavit ‘Irresponsible And Unethical’

snipe 2012/04/13 01:42:29
Remember Libs, Mr Dershowitz is a Harvard Law Professor and we all know how intelligent Harvard Lawyers are. Right?

Dershowitz called the affidavit justifying Zimmerman’s arrest “not only thin, it’s irresponsible.” He went on to criticize the decision to charge Zimmerman for second degree murder by special prosecutor Angela Cory as being politically motivated.

“You’ve seen the affidavit of probable cause. What do you make of it,” Smerconish asked. “It won’t suffice,” Dershowitz replied without hesitation.

“Most affidavits of probable cause are very thin. This is so thin that it won’t make it past a judge on a second degree murder charge,” Dershowitz said. “There’s simply nothing in there that would justify second degree murder.”

Dershowitz said that the elements that would constitute that crime are non-existent in the affidavit. “It’s not only thin, it’s irresponsible,” said Dershowitz.

Dershowitz went on to strongly criticize Cory’s decision to move forward with the case against Zimmerman. “I think what you have here is an elected public official who made a campaign speech last night for reelection when she gave her presentation and overcharged. This case will not – if the evidence is no stronger than what appears in the probable cause affidavit – this case will result in an acquittal.”

Smerconish identified the total lack of any mention of the supposed fight that occurred between Martin and Zimmerman prior to Martin being shot. He said he was disappointed that he did not see any mention of that conflict that led to Martin’s murder.

“But it’s worse than that,” said Dershowitz. “It’s irresponsible and unethical in not including material that favors the defendant.”

“This affidavit does not even make it to probable cause,” Dershowitz concluded. “everything in the affidavit is completely consistent with a defense of self-defense. Everything.”

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/harvard-prof-alan-dershowitz-zimme...

• U-Dog 2012/04/13 02:50:01
    U-Dog
    +19
    I would not doubt one bit that the prosecutor overcharged Zimmerman knowing it would more than likely be thrown out. She gets her bogus campaign points and then the lynch mob will be threatening and or rioting in the streets and Holder will rides in and go after him with some kind of trumped up civil rights charge.

holder thug

• mich52 2012/04/13 06:26:14 (edited)
  • Defend ... mich52 2012/04/13 10:56:17
    Defend Western Civlization
    +2
    why is Holder at a fund raiser for al sharpton?
  • alonnas... Defend ... 2012/04/13 20:59:53
    alonnastorm
    2 words Cilvil Rights!
  • Defend ... alonnas... 2012/04/14 00:55:44
    Defend Western Civlization
    +1
    i did not ask you
    al sharpton is not interested in civil rights
  • AL 2012/04/13 06:20:48 (edited)
    AL
    +3
    I just heard the last part of that 911 call, after Zimmerman was asked to back off! The 911 person then asked Zimmerman for his phone numder-Zimmerman then told him,I can't do that because I don't know where he is right now or if he can hear me! That makes me think he did back off after all
  • Defend ... AL 2012/04/13 10:57:00
    Defend Western Civlization
    +3
    Holder was at a fund raiser for al race baiter shaprton on the same day Zimmerman was arrested
  • AL Defend ... 2012/04/13 19:30:35
    AL
    +1
    Thank you so much! I didn't even know that until you just told me about it!
  • teigan 2012/04/13 05:47:59
    teigan
    +2
    I doubt that the evidence is being faxed to Dershowitz. Perhaps he wants to get involved in another high profile case. Most of the affidavit is backed up by Zimmerman's own statements to the dispatcher. He presumed that he was up to no good, he presumed that he was on drugs, he presumed that he was a punk, he presumed that he didn't belong there. He went on and on about it. Everyone is presuming that Tryvon was the attacker. There are witnesses to the scuffle but not one person witnessed the attack. There are also two witnesses that stated from what they saw, they don't believe that Tryvon was the attacker. They saw Tryvon face down with Zimmerman straddling him and pushing down on his back. I don't have any of the evidence either but I do wonder how he ended up face down with his hands under him if he was on top of Zimmerman when he was shot. I mean if he rolled the body off him, wouldn't he have ended up on his back? I'm not going to presume that Tryvon was the attacker when their were no witnesses. Let the attacks begin, I know one likes my opinion on this case. I just don't believe that the kid should be judged by the dipicable actions of Al Sharpton, Obama, Jesse Jackson and the Panthers. There's always two sides to every story, unfortunately the forensic evidence will have to tell Tryvons.
  • sara teigan 2012/04/13 12:39:57
    sara
    We need stricter gun laws - WHAT THE HELL WAS THIS LOONEY TOON ZIMMERMAN
    DOING WITH A GUN ?
  • teigan sara 2012/04/13 13:55:54
    teigan
    +2
    No we don't.
  • TheTruth1313 2012/04/13 05:36:10
    TheTruth1313
    +2
    Yeah, no question about that. Looks to be less and less about justice and more and more about keeping the reverse racists happy.
  • Charlie 2012/04/13 05:28:49
    Charlie
    +2
    After what happened at the OJ trial, I don't have much hope of Zimmerman getting a entirely fair trial.
    +1
    Did he shoot him out of self defense?
  • Brian T... Andrew 2012/04/13 08:29:10
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +1
    That is the question, and the one the prosecutor has to prove to a jury beyond a reasonable doubt to a jury. That is of course if there is a trial. The "stand your ground" defense of Zimmerman will be reviewed by a judge, and the standard there is the preponderance of the evidence. The judge will also review the second-degree murder charge. Both of those happen before a trial is put on the docket.
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/04/13 05:13:01
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +5
    I rarely have agreed with Prof Dershowitz because he and I often have come down on opposite sides of multiple problems over the years. I'll side with him this time.

Obama and his thugs will not rest until American cities are bloodbaths this summer courtesy of the New Black Panthers and OWS.

Then that calls into the question how BHO plans to deal with it............ cancellation of the upcoming election of course. This is all by design. The good Professor is onto something in this case I would say.
  • mich52 CUDDLY ... 2012/04/13 06:29:21
  • CUDDLY ... mich52 2012/04/13 06:31:14
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +3
    I dunno. Are you?
  • Ron in ... CUDDLY ... 2012/04/13 20:29:09
    Ron in Oregon
    More and more people are waking up to what i have said about the upcoming election.
  • CUDDLY ... Ron in ... 2012/04/13 21:48:23
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    And you said what?
  • Ron in ... CUDDLY ... 2012/04/14 20:22:49
    Ron in Oregon
    +1
    I have said that on December 21st, 2012 there will be an executive order invalidating the election, I hope I am wrong.
  • cmdrbnd007 2012/04/13 04:59:22
    cmdrbnd007
    +3
    It kind of makes you wonder what evidence they have. I guess only time will tell.
  • Jim 2012/04/13 04:54:01
    Jim
    +3
    They can charge on the high end and then a jury can downgrade based upon the evidence and testimony. The prosecutor has given herself and a jury some wiggle room.

The forensic evidence in the case will be crucial absent eyewitnesses.
  • goatman112003 2012/04/13 04:49:42
    goatman112003
    +2
    They charged with the worst of what they had. Unless that Prosecutor has something else which is not known, the murder charge is a wash.
  • mustangluver 2012/04/13 04:45:19
    mustangluver
    +5
    Wow, he is one of the most famous lawyers..That is what i have been saying, that unless Corey has some ass kicking new evidence, no judge is going to charge Zim with murder 2..it's just preposterous..to say the very least!
  • Civic Minded 2012/04/13 04:19:08
    Civic Minded
    +7
    Dershowitz knows what he is talking about. Most people can't help but see that this case has been highly politicized. I'm concerned about what has and hasn't happened. I'm concerned about witness intimidation and political posturing. These are not things which should touch a case. People become motivated not by truth and justice, but by fear and the desire to advance their personal careers. Zimmerman deserves to be treated as if he is innocent until proven guilty of committing a crime. The operative word being "proven!" I get tired of hearing that a crime was committed by him. We don't know that.
  • mustang... Civic M... 2012/04/13 04:49:27
    mustangluver
    +4
    Yes, the Martin parents went off on a tirad right off the bat saying Zim racially profiled their son and murdered him in cold blood..and there was no way possible they could have possibly known that and the same goes for all the ppl helping them and all the protesters!
  • les_gvt 2012/04/13 04:14:30
    les_gvt
    +3
    Something tells me Corey has already forgotten the Nifong debacle, but reading up on her past, this is not too far out of whack for her- she has a history of going heavy handed, and it is coming up on election season
  • Ev Rom 2012/04/13 04:11:41
    Ev Rom
    Hmm maybe one of daddies pals?
  • Old Soldier 2012/04/13 04:02:05
    Old Soldier
    +4
    Alright Democrats, take a good look. This is what democrats do to Democrats. Oh excuse me, "white" Hispanic democrats, as this was one of those as well. Like killing two Non blacks with one stone, so to speak. But don't worry all you "White" African-Americans, you have something in common with Obama, you don't have anything to worry about. As long as you stay in line, that is. That goes for you African-Americans too, and never forget that Obama is a "White" Kenyan at the end of the day.
  • mich52 Old Sol... 2012/04/13 06:34:03
  • Old Sol... mich52 2012/04/17 18:17:25
    Old Soldier
    No, we do not, a close study of history will prove that. But really, which is it that has the brains to run this country ino the ground? So-called Republicans, or the-high-on-the-hog Democrats? I mean, look at the record. Bush senior (Republican) suggest the NAFTA, and Clinton (Dmocrat) makes it happen, where's the "two party" at?

Bush Junior suggest the stimulas,and Obama makes it law. Again, where's the "two party" at?

Bush Junior creates the Patriot Act, an Obama adds to the Home land security Act, making things much worse after 2008. And once again,where's the "two party" at?

150 years ago, President Lincoln found it necessary to hire a private investigator - Alan Pinkerton for investigating the crime of counterfeiting. That was the beginning of the Secret Service, or the S.S.

Since that time, the federal government has produced a large number of multi-letter agencies such as: FBI, CIA, INS, IRS, DEA, BATF, etc.

Now we have the " Federal Air Transportation Airport Security Service". Can't you see them now, these 'highly trained' men and women in their black outfits with jackets saying across their backs:
    F. A. T. A. S. S.

The FATASS's are of course supervised by a special section of the Home Land Security Section known as: Airport Security Service Home Office Logistics Enhancement Section or the A.S.S.H.O.L.E.S.

I feel safer already...
  • mich52 Old Sol... 2012/04/18 00:08:41
  • Old Sol... mich52 2012/04/19 21:32:06
    Old Soldier
    +1
    Probably, but you young chits think you know it all. I have been to the top of the mountain and back, the only thing I have to do now is wait on death, of which I no longer fear. You, and most of the others like you are only about half way to the top, and you still have a lot more to learn, and it will be rough on you because you believe you know it all, or have it all figured out. So I will give you some advice; Never take life as all being downhill, but when you finally get to the top, the worse part of your life is all downhill, friend, so you better get prepared for it.

I can see that you learned nothing from your parents, nor have you considered what they have gone through after their age reached a certain number of years, the time of trouble isn't the same to all, but it comes anyway. If you think you will have it better, life will run you through the wringer. If you know what is to happen, you will take all in grace because there is nothing you can do about it, thus it will not be as bad. The difference comes through knowing.
  • Theresa 2012/04/13 04:00:31 (edited)
    Theresa
    +8
    George Zimmerman's rights to self protection are being sacrificed on the altar of PC and preventing a race riot. This my friends is call Democracy in Action!
  • mac9 2012/04/13 03:55:45
    mac9
    +9
    I have not agreed often with him.....but on this I totally agree. Purely political.
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/04/13 03:46:06
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +3
    I don't know enough about what sort of info should be in an affidavit to know whether Dershowitz is spot on or talking out the back of his neck.

If he's on the money, the case presumably won't survive prelim motions. We'll see.

Thanks, snipe.
  • snipe jubil8 ... 2012/04/13 04:05:27 (edited)
    snipe
    +3
    Dershowitz is very knowledgeable when it comes to the Law, and he has seen and read the Affidavit. Plus, he probably has information from those close to the case and knows exactly what they have on Zimmerman. In other words: being a Harvard Law Professor has it's advantages.
  • jubil8 ... snipe 2012/04/13 04:08:11
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +2
    Yes, he is knowledgeable -- but I wouldn't have thought you'd like what he says. :)
  • snipe jubil8 ... 2012/04/13 04:24:53
    snipe
    +2
    All I said was he knows more about this case than all of us here on SH.
  • jubil8 ... snipe 2012/04/13 20:12:58
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    I agree.

2014/10/21 12:02:32