Harvard Prof. Alan Dershowitz: Zimmerman Arrest Affidavit ‘Irresponsible And Unethical’

snipe 2012/04/13 01:42:29
Remember Libs, Mr Dershowitz is a Harvard Law Professor and we all know how intelligent Harvard Lawyers are. Right?

Dershowitz called the affidavit justifying Zimmerman’s arrest “not only thin, it’s irresponsible.” He went on to criticize the decision to charge Zimmerman for second degree murder by special prosecutor Angela Cory as being politically motivated.

“You’ve seen the affidavit of probable cause. What do you make of it,” Smerconish asked. “It won’t suffice,” Dershowitz replied without hesitation.

“Most affidavits of probable cause are very thin. This is so thin that it won’t make it past a judge on a second degree murder charge,” Dershowitz said. “There’s simply nothing in there that would justify second degree murder.”

Dershowitz said that the elements that would constitute that crime are non-existent in the affidavit. “It’s not only thin, it’s irresponsible,” said Dershowitz.

Dershowitz went on to strongly criticize Cory’s decision to move forward with the case against Zimmerman. “I think what you have here is an elected public official who made a campaign speech last night for reelection when she gave her presentation and overcharged. This case will not – if the evidence is no stronger than what appears in the probable cause affidavit – this case will result in an acquittal.”

Smerconish identified the total lack of any mention of the supposed fight that occurred between Martin and Zimmerman prior to Martin being shot. He said he was disappointed that he did not see any mention of that conflict that led to Martin’s murder.

“But it’s worse than that,” said Dershowitz. “It’s irresponsible and unethical in not including material that favors the defendant.”

“This affidavit does not even make it to probable cause,” Dershowitz concluded. “everything in the affidavit is completely consistent with a defense of self-defense. Everything.”

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/harvard-prof-alan-dershowitz-zimme...

• U-Dog 2012/04/13 02:50:01
    U-Dog
    +19
    I would not doubt one bit that the prosecutor overcharged Zimmerman knowing it would more than likely be thrown out. She gets her bogus campaign points and then the lynch mob will be threatening and or rioting in the streets and Holder will rides in and go after him with some kind of trumped up civil rights charge.

holder thug

• Jim U-Dog 2012/04/13 11:14:21
    Jim
    +1
    Good point and would make sense.
  • Franklin Jim 2012/04/14 12:54:33
    Franklin
    +2
    Not really , it was stated that Eric Holder can introduce any facts even sealed records of Zimmerman's past in the “hate crime” case with out regard for them having been race based ...the hate Crimes law is very lose and this will be its first big abuse – liberals don't care and will fall in line and support the mob mentality as they always do if they thinks its “their” mob.
  • Jim Franklin 2012/04/14 22:35:45
    Jim
    +1
    You are right. They can shoe horn wha they want to satisfy their agenda.
  • Franklin Jim 2012/04/15 12:49:11
    Franklin
    +1
    ....the "history" of Sanford florida will be considered in Eric Holders investigation , so the high crime rates by and against Blacks in that area will be available to the Obama campaign as ammo ...welcome to another "wag the dog" reelection !
  • JoeBtfsplk U-Dog 2012/04/13 14:38:40
    JoeBtfsplk
    +2
    Is that a 'birthmark' on Holders face?

I hadn't ever noticed it before.
  • U-Dog JoeBtfsplk 2012/04/13 20:42:42
    U-Dog
    Not sure.
  • Franklin JoeBtfsplk 2012/04/15 12:49:38
    Franklin
    its the shadow of his hand - I had to blow it up and look myself LOL
  • JoeBtfsplk Franklin 2012/04/15 12:57:47
    JoeBtfsplk
    +1
    good job
  • Franklin JoeBtfsplk 2012/04/16 13:55:10
    Franklin
    no big deal I am so spoiled / this lap top has a High rez screen and its got 8 gigs to power the video - if a pic is able to be blown up I can get a good look at it with just a click of two LOL
  • JoeBtfsplk Franklin 2012/04/16 15:03:57
    JoeBtfsplk
    MacBookPro here - it too has capabilities I'm not even aware of.
  • Franklin JoeBtfsplk 2012/04/17 01:33:35
    Franklin
    this one is just a toshiba but I have tricked it out a bit , my eyes are not what they where so the HD comes in handy LOL
  • Franklin U-Dog 2012/04/14 12:50:04
    Franklin
    +1
    ...another playing of the Race card for Obama-
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2012/04/13 02:48:53
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    Yep, I heard him pontificating today on TV. We will have to see.
  • seadog6... ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2012/04/13 04:41:18
  • JoeBtfsplk seadog6... 2012/04/13 14:37:32
    JoeBtfsplk
    +1
    careful! I think wTunde is black and will stand on their side regardless of evidence.

that photo looks like Simon Cowell
  • seadog6... JoeBtfsplk 2012/04/13 17:08:30
  • JoeBtfsplk seadog6... 2012/04/13 18:17:13
    JoeBtfsplk
    +1
    luckily they don't come in other colors so we can identify them quickly!
  • Soundstorm 2012/04/13 02:43:08
    Soundstorm
    +7
    The charge of second degree murder may result in an acquittal for George Zimmerman but it just might be enough of a crowd pleaser to get this special prosecuter reelected. Funny how the wheels of justice turn sometimes.
  • PLANETEATER 2012/04/13 02:42:55
    PLANETEATER
    +1
    Isn't this the same DIRTshowitz that helped defend OJ Simpson?
  • jubil8 ... PLANETE... 2012/04/13 04:13:43
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +2
    Sort of. He was the 'appellate adviser' to the defense team (but I don't think the case was appealed). He wrote about it (later), but I don't know whether he had much to do with the actual defense at trial.
  • Dee 2012/04/13 02:22:14
    Dee
    +9
    As I watched Angela Cory's news conference, the picture of her rehearsing her speech over and over and over again in front of a mirror never left my mind. She SMILED all through what should have been a serious, somber occasion as she announced she was charging someone with second degree murder! Dershowitz was correct - it was a campaign speech.
  • snipe Dee 2012/04/13 02:53:25
    snipe
    +6
    She did seem proud of herself, didn't she?
  • Brian T... snipe 2012/04/13 08:06:20
  • mustang... Dee 2012/04/13 06:39:21
    mustangluver
    +5
    OMG! I thought the very same thing..my husband and i were saying WTF is she smiling about? And if you noticed, it seemed as if she were talking directly to the Martins..
  • Dee mustang... 2012/04/13 07:25:48
    Dee
    +3
    Thanks for the affirmation! I knew I wasn't the only one who thought her speech was over top and condescending at the same time.
  • mustang... Dee 2012/04/13 17:00:09
    mustangluver
    +4
    It seemed as though she was saying "See, i am doing what cha all wanted me to"...
  • Rodney 2012/04/13 02:20:07
    Rodney
    +4
    I read that as one of two possible ways. Knowing Dershowitz's past, he is either right on or wanting the whole spectacle to continue for the supposed political advantage.
  • mustang... Rodney 2012/04/13 06:40:47
    mustangluver
    +2
    I think he just gave his expertise opinion.
  • Rodney mustang... 2012/04/14 04:12:01
    Rodney
    +3
    If you know anything about law and how charges are filed, you would know that, by reading the indictment, the prosecutor left out a slew of information, that WILL come out and it will sink her case because she DID leave it out. Then there is the mess the media and attention whores have made. There is no way Zimmerman will ever get an unbiased jury, so I doubt it will ever make it to a jury.
  • mustang... Rodney 2012/04/14 16:56:23
    mustangluver
    +1
    At first i herolded Corey for doing the right thing and then she broke under the intense pressure and politics of course. Just the fact that Zim made the 911 call as he had MANY times before was enough to see he was doing the right thing..this whole case is about a thug that did the wrong thing..Zim is not a murderer.
  • Rodney mustang... 2012/04/14 17:20:20
    Rodney
    +2
    True. Unless you have bought into ONLY what the media and publicity whores have been saying. In one audio, you can hear Zimmerman state that he had lost track of Trayvon. That was shortly before the fight and gun shots.
  • Maria 2012/04/13 02:14:02
    Maria
    +2
    whole USA aren't there to witness this events...Humans all aren't going to take each sides just because accident or not accident? Humans can't answer this since wintess aren't there to saw whole thing...
    Zimmerman have to admit it with no choice because it already announcement on news media to overwhelm of people in USA hunting him and looking to kill him to make it square..
    image if you were in his shoes? how to handle it ? nobody want this happen to other like that...
    if there was video taping out there then all will not be on Media news...because very useful Evidence ...
  • Nancy~PWCM~JLA~POTL 2012/04/13 02:04:00
    Nancy~PWCM~JLA~POTL
    +8
    There is a stream of cases that can be looked at and why this seems so interesting is basically racially driven in election year. Many cases black on white or white on black. Look across the country you will see. To me it is not the crime any longer because they just look at the color and not the actual act. So many similar cases have gone to the wayside and never ever ever mentioned. This case was Cherry picked in this election year and there have been so many that have received no attention at all.

Fair trial and not by the media. Let the courts handle it
  • mustang... Nancy~P... 2012/04/13 06:43:49
  • keymanjim 2012/04/13 01:57:55 (edited)
    keymanjim
    +11
    I don't know why they are having a trial at all. I'm surprised that they didn't summarily crucify Zimmerman for the "murder" of obama's posthumously adopted son.
  • snipe keymanjim 2012/04/13 02:55:03
    snipe
    +5
    They probably would have if they could have found him.
  • Ron_Dayvoo 2012/04/13 01:54:53
    Ron_Dayvoo
    +11
    Unless the prosecution comes up with a video of Zimmerman attacking Martin, a first year law student would win an acquittal or get the case tossed before it goes to trial.
    They have nothing and are going to look mighty foolish for caving to race-baiting fools.
  • snipe Ron_Dayvoo 2012/04/13 02:57:47
    snipe
    +5
    Problem is that no Prosecutor, Judge or jury will want to be the one to let him off, they know they will become the new target.
  • Sawdust... snipe 2012/04/13 03:43:45
    Sawdust_128
    +1
    Here:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-2...

Here's the affidavit.

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs...

Problem is that Dershowitz was being kind and gentle in his assessment.
  • snipe Sawdust... 2012/04/13 04:15:17
    snipe
    +3
    Being a Harvard Law Prof Dershowitz, I'm sure, has close ties to those handling the case and probably knows exactly what they have on Zimmerman.

2014/10/25 09:30:00