Harry Reid went to Washington with a net worth of under $100,000 and now is a multi-millionaire! How does that happen on a Senator's salary?

jt 2012/08/05 21:46:57

• beachbum 2012/08/05 21:59:10
    It's all about back door deals...
    beachbum
    +7
    Back door deals, under the table deals, insider trading, bribery, etc.

• HAlex1972 2012/08/08 08:44:11
    It's all about back door deals...
    HAlex1972
    Politics in action!
  • ChiTownGirl 2012/08/06 13:47:09
    All politicians ends up like this...
    ChiTownGirl
    +2
    No matter what political party you stand behind, I'd say most politicians end up corrupt, it's too tempting not to fall into the trap, and most have. As for Harry Reid, this guy actually HAS tried to fund a bridge to nowhere!! Now he talks Romney's tax returns. Time to release his own tax returns, then talk.
  • TheTruth1313 2012/08/06 07:12:10
    It's all about back door deals...
    TheTruth1313
    +1
    Whoring himself out to Odumba, special interest groups, big corps, big oil, etc.
  • Diane Spraggs Yates 2012/08/06 06:22:49
    It's all about back door deals...
    Diane Spraggs Yates
    +2
    Reid helps his son Rory !!!!!! As he has helped himself to tax payers money !!!!
  • Captain-Morgan 2012/08/06 06:04:36
    It's all about back door deals...
    Captain-Morgan
    +1
    Herry Reids net worth was more than hundred thousand dollars before coming to D.C. He recieved three times that much or more from the Las Vegas Mob Bosses.. As Mr. Clean Face, in the State Nevada Gaming Agency.. His Law Firm still has casino's on contract..
  • ChiTown... Captain... 2012/08/06 13:43:28
    ChiTownGirl
    +1
    He even had a cameo appearance in the movie "Casino." This guy is dirty to the core!!
  • Captain... ChiTown... 2012/08/07 23:14:48
    Captain-Morgan
    Take it from this old coot.. Who grew up 1950's 1960', in Las Vegas, and attended school with friends and kids of mob bosses.. I knew the Tony & Michael Spilotro's.. in the 1970's.1980's. Worked both at the Fremont and Stardust Hotel, owned by Argent Corp.
    When I left the Stardust in 1968, had to have Frank (Lefty) Rosenthal sign my termination slip, when leaving for the Service.. He offered me any job I wanted upon my return to Vegas, and civilian life. His title at the time was "Entertainment Director." But everyone knew he ran the Casino for the mob.. I never took him up on that offer..!!! Instead drove taxi's and attended college. Harry Reid, Was And Still Is Dirty To The Core...!!!
  • ChiTown... Captain... 2012/08/07 23:48:28
    ChiTownGirl
    Wow, Captain-Morgan. I bet you had an interesting childhood, and then some, ha! I loved that movie. I loved DeNiro and Stone in it, and to think you were actually there when all the action was taking place. That is very cool. Men like Rosenthal, though corrupt, truly loved this country in my opinion. This man had class, offering you a job upon your return when you went to serve this country (thank you so much for that -- I LOVE VETS!!). It's funny, I read a book about casino boss David Berman recently. well, both totally old school.

And, the Spilotros. I'd like to hear some of the stories you have to tell about those killers, lol... Seriously, my parents said they went to Vegas in the 70s, haven't been back since, said they wanted to remember it the way it was. Come to think of it, I loved it better when Chicago was known for Al Capone instead of Barack. I laughed when Putin said the same thing about Chicago.

Getting back to Reid, a career politician, I'll definitely take it from you when it comes to him. You ought to know!! You know, Reid is just following orders from Obama cronies, deep down, I think he can't wait for Romney to be elected. He's there for another 4 years and he and Romney are fellow Mormons.
  • Captain... ChiTown... 2012/08/08 06:06:50
    Captain-Morgan
    +1
    Thanks ChiTown, Frank didn't really like being called "Lefty." He was a class act. But he wasn't as good looking as DeNiro was in the movie.. The movie Casino, was about 98% fact.. But the grave was not already dug? They made them dig their own graves first before putting them into it..

As for the Spilotro brothers, Tony the "ant" was a tad bit scary! The kind of person that made the hair on the back of your neck stand up? But, Michael "Mike" was a nice guy on the outside, always friendly and smiling.. And liked to joke around a lot.. I never saw him get mad or say anything off the wall.. I did have a few dealing with him.. Mostly bringing my cab customers to their "office" at the Tower of Pizza on the Strip, for a gaming loan.. Mike Spilotro ran the loan sharking business out of the Pizza joint from a table in the back.. Mike, would give Taxi drivers $10.00 or $20.00 bucks for new loan customers.. I was a young married guy, with a new wife and son, going to college in the day, working at night.. I did my share of hustling to make a buck or two.. lol.. The stories about "them as Killers" I wasn't there, but heard from those in the know about them.. I do feel blessed in some ways having grown up in Vegas.. I don't gamble, and I'm not star struck.. And had the chance to meet ...

&

As for the Spilotro brothers, Tony the "ant" was a tad bit scary! The kind of person that made the hair on the back of your neck stand up? But, Michael "Mike" was a nice guy on the outside, always friendly and smiling.. And liked to joke around a lot.. I never saw him get mad or say anything off the wall.. I did have a few dealing with him.. Mostly bringing my cab customers to their "office" at the Tower of Pizza on the Strip, for a gaming loan.. Mike Spilotro ran the loan sharking business out of the Pizza joint from a table in the back.. Mike, would give Taxi drivers $10.00 or $20.00 bucks for new loan customers.. I was a young married guy, with a new wife and son, going to college in the day, working at night.. I did my share of hustling to make a buck or two.. lol.. The stories about "them as Killers" I wasn't there, but heard from those in the know about them.. I do feel blessed in some ways having grown up in Vegas.. I don't gamble, and I'm not star struck.. And had the chance to meet many of the old time Entertainers on the Strip..

My Mother was a Jazz & Blues singer back in the 50's 60's and early 1970's. So the family knew a lot of them from Hollywood, and Southern Cal. before moving to Vegas in 1957. Back then Vegas was a small town, and if you didn't know someone? You knew people that did know them.. Lot's BBQ, and Hotel and Casino pool party's. As a kid I got to meet most of the Rat Pack, and a number of the Hollywood Movie Stars. Great Boxer's, and Sportmen of that time...

Like your parents, I Loved It More Then Than Now..

P.S. I was kind of sorry to hear that Mike Spilotro, was killed with his crazy nut job brother Tony..
  • Christian 2012/08/06 05:37:46
    It's all about back door deals...
    Christian
    +2
    For sure back door deals
  • Red 2012/08/06 04:58:16
  • mac9 2012/08/06 04:42:56
    It's all about back door deals...
    mac9
    +4
    Do you know that Reid won't show his tax returns? How about a budget that has not been passed in the Senate. He is part of the moronic left who are borderline criminal.
    It's all about back door deals...
    +3
    Crook--let's see his taxes for the same years he is asking of Romney!
  • Squatch 2012/08/06 01:05:50
    It's all about back door deals...
    Squatch
    +2
    Funny thing is - neither party denies it - heard of the Caribou Coffee scandal
  • John Hall 2012/08/06 00:50:28
    It's all about back door deals...
    John Hall
    +3
    Gee I wonder inside trading special land deals kickbacks and on and on .
  • Captain... John Hall 2012/08/07 23:30:52 (edited)
    Captain-Morgan
    Rory Reid, the son of Harry Reid is on the Clark County Dist. Waterboard, and is setting on many Corp. boards. Also for a number energy companies, both Solar and Wind, that have recieved Green Energy Funds from Obama, Admin. That father, Herry Reid is a land owner and stock holder.

https://www.google.com/#q=har...

Senator Harry Reid, benefitted from land deals on the Arizona - Nevada Border, when the bridge was built across Colorado River by Hoover Dam.. He voted on funding then through a family trust invested in large track of land a long the highway..
  • John Hall Captain... 2012/08/08 01:48:22
    John Hall
    Wow I didn't know that thanks for the info .
  • Just me ♥ 2012/08/06 00:44:24
    Just me ♥
    +2
    Lobbyist pay their "friends'' good....
  • actionjksn 2012/08/06 00:44:08
    It's all about back door deals...
    actionjksn
    +1
    Our government is full of crooks, both Democrat and Republican. They work together to keep 3rd party's out because they want to keep everything like it is. And they don't really hate each other like they are pretending to.
  • eyeballz 2012/08/06 00:22:01
    All politicians ends up like this...
    eyeballz
    +2
    It is called "me first and the hell with everyone else "!
  • Lerro DeHazel 2012/08/05 23:30:22
    All politicians ends up like this...
    Lerro DeHazel
    +4
    Look @ Chris Dodd, Barney Frank, and Maxine Waters . . . They never even spent one hour in a Federal Prison for the Fanni Mae and Freddi Mac fiasco.
  • susan Lerro D... 2012/08/05 23:54:29
    susan
    +3
    Look into where their money came from as well. Banker spouses, banker children, land deals, huge "investment" gains.
  • Lerro D... susan 2012/08/06 01:15:29
    Lerro DeHazel
    +2
    They manipulate the Market; and they cash-in on the "early knowledge" . . . It's similar to a gambler playing Black Jack inside a Casino; and the Dealer informing them that "On the 2nd Hand, 8th Hand, and 11th Hand, I will deal you a Black Jack.
  • Farnsworth 2012/08/05 23:27:44
    It's all about back door deals...
    Farnsworth
    +2
    I heard a rumor that he has an off shore child porn site.
  • Don 2012/08/05 23:24:43
    It's all about back door deals...
    Don
    +3
    http://hotair.com/archives/20...

Reid has shady real estate deals back as far as you can see. He's never explained any of it.
    Above link is part of where the money came from. What's he got to hide?
  • S and S 2012/08/05 23:00:46
  • susan S and S 2012/08/05 23:51:53 (edited)
    susan
    +3
    The only thing Martha went to prison for was "lying" to the investigators. They couldn't convict her of insider trading, so they did the usual game they use to get someone who is innocent. When you take someone's deposition repeatedly over the same issue, asking the same questions in many different distorted ways, with belligerent manner and threatening postures, it often makes the person being deposed state something a little differently. That is when they pounce, saying you lied, you said it differently in an earlier deposition, often one that was taken years before and that you have not seen since.
    This is typical of the legal system today, and the FBI in particular. Prosecutors want convictions, preferably in 100% of their cases, and don't really care about truth and justice.
  • CHUCK 2012/08/05 22:47:50
    All politicians ends up like this...
    CHUCK
  • Diane S... CHUCK 2012/08/06 06:26:16
    Diane Spraggs Yates
    +2
    Amen you have the picture soldiers and us old folks get the shaft and look who gets rich?????
  • Texas Johnny 2012/08/05 22:46:02
    It's all about back door deals...
    Texas Johnny
    +3
    Lyin', Cheatin' and Stealin'!!! His land dealings are suspect and his thing with Mitt over his taxes is a farce. He cannot back up his claims! He is doing this under Obama's direction.
  • STU~PWCM~JLA~POTL~AFCL 2012/08/05 22:23:43
    It's all about back door deals...
    STU~PWCM~JLA~POTL~AFCL
    +5
    Hi JT,

There are a number of ways this can happen. The most egregious method is simply taking bribes in exchange for supporting laws that benefit special interests, and illegally not placing the money in their campaign PAC (i.e., diverting the cash to personal use). This is very dangerous and can get a Congressman in big legal trouble if he is caught.

Another method is insider trading. Congressmen are legally permitted to trade (buy/sell) on pending legislation before the legislation is widely known about. As long as the Congressman does not utilize private individuals to sway votes in Congress, they are within a safe harbor (Congressmen can utilize private individuals to provide unbiased educational information to other Congressmen in relation to pending legislation, but are forbidden from using private individuals to provide biased persuasion and then trading on it before the legislation is widely publicized).

Another common method is "below market price" purchasing. In exchange for promoting a new law favorable to a special interest, the Congressman is given an opportunity to buy a real or paper asset at below market value, and then sell it for a big profit. This of course is illegal, but is hard to prosecute in court (since many assets are not heavily traded so there is no official benchmark as to what their fair market value is).

Stu
  • frank 2012/08/05 22:21:39
    All politicians ends up like this...
    frank
    +2
    How about both. Does insider trading ring a bell or kickbacks?
  • Zeruke 2012/08/05 22:11:27
    All politicians ends up like this...
    Zeruke
    +3
    through back door deals made with lobbyists that say they are doing a "fundraiser" when all it is 100% bribery
  • gocar 2012/08/05 22:09:54
    All politicians ends up like this...
    gocar
    +3
    Far too many of them get rich at the public trough. No need to help that system along by voting for those who support it whole heatedly. The days of Truman are gone. Look at the money Palin made just being on the ticket. She quickly realized that the money was not going to come from being a governor. She had to make sure the press stayed around to follow her every word even if what she was saying was stupid. I would like a chance to be that stupid.
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/08/05 22:09:07 (edited)
    All politicians ends up like this...
    **StarzAbove**
    +3
    They all come out millionaires. Not just Reid.
  • ☆astac☆~PWCM 2012/08/05 22:05:18
    ☆astac☆~PWCM
    +5
    Corruption and graft
  • mal 2012/08/05 22:04:58
    mal
    +6
    bribery and theft..
  • Mr. T 2012/08/05 22:02:43
    Mr. T
    +5
    How hard could it be when insider trading is (was) "legal"? Pretty damned easy when you know what the dice are before the roll.
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/08/05 22:01:46
    All politicians ends up like this...
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +4
    How many Congressmen DON'T become millionaires?
  • frank jubil8 ... 2012/08/05 22:23:28
    frank
    +1
    That would have been a much better question.

2014/07/22 17:31:32