Half-Assed Media Speculation About the Batman Shooter: Do You Trust the Media to Report Tragedy?

Fef 2012/07/20 19:00:00
The news media loves a tragedy. People tune in to watch. Television news, in particular, benefits from its live coverage instead of its in-depth, thoughtful analysis. The TV news only has to show pictures or a live feed of a crime scene to attract millions of viewers. The written media criticizes mass media for its "half-assed reporting." What do you think?

REASON.COM reports:
Undeterred by how wrong they got the Columbine shootings 13 years ago, or how disgustingly politicized they turned Jared Loughner's 2011 rampage, the humans who work for and talk with journalistic outlets are again rushing to speculative judgment about Jim Holmes, the suspected Batman murderer in Aurora, Colorado.

Read More: http://reason.com/blog/2012/07/20/half-assed-media...

• Adi 2012/07/23 08:08:40
    No, I don't trust the media.
    Adi
    +4
    Nope and that's a cryin shame!
  • luigi1-... Adi 2012/07/23 10:09:16
    luigi1- in god we trust
    +7
    The liberal media has become a censored propoganda outlet controlled by the WH.

That's why they want to destroy the lone wolf...FoxNews.
  • shooter 2012/07/23 07:59:50
    No, I don't trust the media.
    shooter
    +3
    I don't trust the " media " to honestly report anything. Our reporters and media celebrities have ceased reporting news . What we get now is their slant on events that is based on their own prejudices .
  • luigi1-... shooter 2012/07/23 10:14:08 (edited)
    luigi1- in god we trust
    +2
    Agree. What ever happened to Who, What, When, Where & Why?

Facts don't matter anymore with the liberal media. They kinda just fill in the blanks.
  • May 2012/07/23 06:24:31
    No, I don't trust the media.
    May
    +4
    NO!!! The media, is owned, controlled and biased. People are waking up but they think we are stupid. There are plenty of stupid, clueless people, but those of us who are not are tired of the media trying to manipulate us.
  • joe mauro 2012/07/23 06:10:37
    No, I don't trust the media.
    joe mauro
    +3
    no i just dont trust sponsor paid tv anything
  • Windy 2012/07/23 05:39:03
    No, I don't trust the media.
    Windy
    +4
    The media clearly are not trustworthy, their intent and purpose is to manufacture a particular opinion in a large percentage of the population, an opinion that fits the agenda of the PTB.

However, if you are aware that they are feeding you propaganda then you can avoid being manipulated by it. Pay attention to what words they emphasize, and the way they phrase both questions and reports and you can recognize their personal biases as well as when they are propagandizing on behalf of the movers and shakers.
  • mary E Windy 2012/07/23 07:53:55
    mary E
    +3
    Yes, you certainly can recognize their biases! And don't you find it amusing to watch those who let their feelings leak over into their eyes, facial expressions and body language. lol
  • TheCherryBlossomAngelPrincess 2012/07/23 05:36:10
    No, I don't trust the media.
    TheCherryBlossomAngelPrincess
    +3
    They always HAVE to add a speculation. I don't care give me facts....I wish we had more Walter Cronkites :(
  • Joyce Brand 2012/07/23 05:24:48
    No, I don't trust the media.
    Joyce Brand
    +3
    The incentives are always to be early to report rather than accurate and the more sensational, the better. Since the truth is generally not as sensational as wild speculation, wild speculation is what we get, in the guise of reporting the "facts."
  • No, I don't trust the media.
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    +4
    Who is it that's brainwashing our idiots anyway?
  • mary E Jerry (... 2012/07/23 07:57:45
    mary E
    Well, whomever it is most likely a 1%er!
  • Jerry (... mary E 2012/07/23 12:45:52
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    +1
    The media has nothing to do with it?
  • mary E Jerry (... 2012/07/23 22:37:23
    mary E
    +2
    My bad! I should have added that. But I bet the owners of big media are 1%ers!
  • Jerry (... mary E 2012/07/23 23:06:04
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    +1
    I would say that is a safe bet. Makes you wonder why the media loves the Democrat politicians so much doesn't it? Is it possible that they just ACT like they're for the little guy as the rich lines their pockets? They're no different than the Republicans; it's a sham. They're a team, working together to screw us over.
  • mary E Jerry (... 2012/07/23 23:19:26
    mary E
    +2
    Two peas in a pod!
  • Charles E 2012/07/23 04:00:54
    No, I don't trust the media.
    Charles E
    +5
    If they say it, I doubt it.
  • JPseudonym 2012/07/23 03:59:08
    No, I don't trust the media.
    JPseudonym
    +5
    Too many anchors and or editors these days can't seem to check their bias at the door. Just give me the news, not your political or social commentary.
  • Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/07/23 03:42:53 (edited)
    No, I don't trust the media.
    Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +3
    I don't trust the corporate mainstream media to report honestly on ANYTHING. Within 1 hour they had pinned 9/11 on Osama Bin Laden without any investigation whatsoever. They reported that they had CONFIRMED that 2 additional, undetonated explosive devices were found inside the Murrah building in OK City, then the next day they completely changed the story to the van fertilizer bomb, never again to ask what happened to those other 2 bombs that were INSIDE the building! They reported that the Branch Davidians set themselves on fire, only later (after the government was forced to admit it) to report that the ATF set the blaze which murdered those people.

The mainsteam media is the propoganda tool of the government and mega corporations who, if you didn't know, don't care about you or your welfare in any way, shape, or form. If you think anything your being told by them is the truth, you're insane.
  • the fuze 2012/07/23 03:38:18
    No, I don't trust the media.
    the fuze
    +3
    They're too worried being "first with the story" instead of being the first with the facts.
  • Zeruke 2012/07/23 03:36:32
    No, I don't trust the media.
    Zeruke
    +3
    most media now is mostly just yellow journalism that feeds off of controversy..... and with that means they most likely will never give out the full amount of the information needed
  • nbarton2 2012/07/23 02:49:23
    No, I don't trust the media.
    nbarton2
    +4
    Media is always trying to be the first to get the "News" out and in that they often put stuff out that may not be true or false but just speculation and in making speculation often make the truth out of it for the general population. I miss the days when the news was on three times a day and there wasn't speculation because they had time to actually get the story right for the most part. Now we get such speculation that we may as read the National Enquirer.
  • jeane 2012/07/23 01:50:07
    No, I don't trust the media.
    jeane
    +4
    I don't trust the media - they have their own agenda.
  • Windy jeane 2012/07/23 05:46:02
    Windy
    +3
    Actually they are pushing the agenda of those who want to run the world.
  • jeane Windy 2012/07/23 13:10:17
    jeane
    +3
    Useful idiots.
  • abubincrazy 2012/07/23 00:47:36
    No, I don't trust the media.
    abubincrazy
    +4
    They constantly prove we can't trust them.
  • marcuss LIBERALS ARE IDIOTS 2012/07/23 00:45:35
    No, I don't trust the media.
    marcuss LIBERALS ARE IDIOTS
    +5
    The media especially the LIBERAL MEDIA is extremely to fast at assigning blame and it ALWAYS BACKFIRES in their faces.
    They are a propaganda tool for the LEFT WING and nothing else.
  • mary E marcuss... 2012/07/23 03:05:14
    mary E
    +4
    And I rather expect they thought to turn this tragedy into the beginning of a great outcry for more gun control. If so, I think it is backfiring. This may cause many to realize that owning and even carrying a gun for protection is perhaps not such a bad idea.
  • marcuss... mary E 2012/07/23 03:15:20
    marcuss LIBERALS ARE IDIOTS
    +5
    If a responsible gun owner was in that movie theater there would not be 12 people dead.
  • mary E marcuss... 2012/07/23 04:59:31
    mary E
    +3
    I think you are right. But, I just read a comment from a poster that ran something like this: Yeah, just what we need, a bunch of people with guns shooting it out!

I would much rather be the one caught in the crossfire of shooters trying to protect and save people than just be a sitting duck for a crazy with the only weapons!
  • missfit 2012/07/23 00:00:32
    No, I don't trust the media.
    missfit
    +2
    Sometimes they do a good job, but they are just human and all trying to outscoop the other guy. So at times things get put out before they are truly verified. And then there is Fox News, which is another animal entirely. They are just a Republican propaganda machine and will spin any story in a way that favors the right. The most untruthful network on television.
  • marcuss... missfit 2012/07/23 00:50:02
    marcuss LIBERALS ARE IDIOTS
    +5
    OH PLEASE! If it was not for FOX the ONLY television media that is not a LEFT WING propaganda channel.

If it was not for FOX we wouldn't have known 0WEbama sent guns to the Mexican drug cartels....But YOU must support that because 0WEbama did it.
  • mary E marcuss... 2012/07/23 03:09:35
    mary E
    +3
    And I seem to be hearing that great numbers of people are switching to FOX. They are losing confidence in the others.
  • Windy missfit 2012/07/23 05:52:12
    Windy
    FOX is no worse and no better than any other network, regardless of their perceived right leaning bias, the others have a left leaning bias but they ALL toe the same authoritarian, statist, anti-liberty, government line.
  • MLor 2012/07/22 23:40:18
  • shotgun the 3rd 2012/07/22 23:29:36
  • Dr. John 2012/07/22 23:19:09
    No, I don't trust the media.
    Dr. John
    +2
    Not even |-| that much!!!
  • Greg 2012/07/22 22:59:29
    No, I don't trust the media.
    Greg
    +5
    It's no longer about reporting just the facts because the people have the right to know. Now it's all about ratings and getting the scoop which leads to sensationalism, speculation, and a rush to air the story before the facts are checked.
  • mary E Greg 2012/07/23 03:13:03
    mary E
    +1
    I wish you had added "promoting their own agenda." I think they are all biased.

I have been told that the BBC is less biased than most. What do you think?
  • Greg mary E 2012/07/23 21:50:17
    Greg
    +1
    I figured someone would point out something I missed. My list is not exhaustive.

As for the BBC, I have heard the same and have no reason to doubt it, but I haven't really watched it to know. I'm cheap and my cable company charges a premium for BBC America.

2014/04/21 02:21:18