Hacker Can Open Keycarded Hotel Room Doors. What Extra Precautions Do You Take?

Tecca 2012/07/24 19:00:00
Related Topics: Travel, Hotel, Hackers

TECCA.COM reports:
Between jewelry, passports, laptops, and even tablets, a lot of us carry some very expensive things when we travel. And we expect the hotel we're staying at to do all they reasonably can to keep us and our belongings safe.

reports jewelry passports laptops tablets carry expensive travel expect hotel

Read More: http://www.tecca.com/news/2012/07/24/hotel-keycard...

• Muver 2012/07/24 23:17:11
    I use the inside lock when I'm in the room.
    Muver
    +6
    I put really good stuff in the lobby hotel safe....in room safes are not all that safe and can be opened with a special "key",,,room burglers would know that...

Other stuff, I have other places in the room I hide stuff, that a room burgler in a hurry would not look...I never leave my laptop on either....and I take a photo of it on the desk in the room with my phone, just for proof, in case it "disappears" ....

Other thing I do, is....leave lights and the TV on loud enough to heard at the door...and I always leave a do not disturb light or sign on....

When I travel alone, I pretend to be talking to someone in the room when I leave...and always pay attention to anyone in the halls....most hotels have hall camera monitoring now anyway....just simple stuff that really takes no time out of my life...

• Melizmatic gunner 2012/07/25 17:02:50
    Melizmatic
    +1
    You shower with your weapon?
  • gunner Melizmatic 2012/07/29 13:54:18
    gunner
    Don`t you ? I take it every where. Haven`t left it in a public toilet yet. lol.
  • Melizmatic gunner 2012/07/29 20:18:31
    Melizmatic
    In your OWN shower...

cool story bro
  • gunner Melizmatic 2012/08/01 03:27:24
    gunner
    When I travel, I carry a very small,compact cleaning kit. Suitable for what I carry. Actually, it`s suitable for any cal. .22 & up. As for the shower ? A plastic bag, of course. At home I don`t generally unless I`m home alone. And you ?
  • Melizmatic gunner 2012/08/01 04:10:40
  • gunner Melizmatic 2012/08/01 18:39:03
    gunner
    I absolutely agree ! I did opt out for 3 mo. years ago. It was good and , a mixed blessing. I`m relatively independent. But I have encouraged my family to be alert to their surroundings and I trust them for our security when we are at home. When home alone, I am alone, and not to sound too paranoid, but we have been robbed before. I was at an auction not long ago & bought some silver coins. People who were not there, commented on it to me mo. after the sale. I live in the country, & everyone knows your buis. or wants to.
  • Melizmatic gunner 2012/08/01 18:43:45 (edited)
    Melizmatic
    +1
    If you still have people trying to get in your "buis" (business?), then you haven't actually left civilzation at all; you probably just live in the sticks.

I mean going off 'the grid' completely, and moving to where there are no roads, no electricity and no people to be 'nosy.'

That's much more preferable to me than living in fear.
  • gunner Melizmatic 2012/08/01 18:51:16
    gunner
    I`m in the sticks as you put it. Fear ? I don`t feel afraid. I just don`t trust people. A lot of the folks around here don`t lock their doors at night. A relatively safe area , so everyone thought until a couple mo. ago the swat team showed up at a neighbors & busted them for a bake & shake meth lab. Yep, I would like to be off the grid. I`d still carry. But for critters.
  • Melizmatic gunner 2012/08/01 19:02:00
    Melizmatic
    You don't feel 'afraid' of any potential threats to your health and safety, yet you say that you keep a pistol on you, at all times even when showering.

feel afraid potential threats health safety pistol times showering

"Trust" has nothing to do with it, and there is no such thing as 'safety'; that's just an illusion that our species made up so that we can cope with everyday life.

*shrugs
  • gunner Melizmatic 2012/08/01 21:53:59
    gunner
    In all honesty, I don`t know to whom I am chatting with here. Therefore, absolutely I carry a loaded off safe gun 24/7. I have run off drug dealers from our neighborhood and I carried a gun on my hip and a pump shotgun in my hands. Both loaded. I wasn`t joking with them when I told them to leave.They left.
  • Melizmatic gunner 2012/08/01 22:00:41
    Melizmatic
    +1
    Groovy.

No offense, but I've tired of this conversation.

I wish you the best and all, but I'm bored again, and now I'm moving on.

Good day.
  • gunner Melizmatic 2012/08/02 02:34:45
    gunner
    No offense taken. You have a great day also ! The bit I shared with you about the drug dealers and local meth lab are very true. I can see that neighbors house from my back yard
  • Muver 2012/07/24 23:17:11
    Muver
    +6

• Michelle Muver 2012/07/25 00:47:18
    Michelle
    +1
    Those are some really cool and creative ways to prevent robberies. A little excessive all together, but I like it. :)
  • Muver Michelle 2012/07/25 03:41:46
    Muver
    +2
    It's really nothing and easy to do....And I forgot, I NEVER leave patio/balcony doors unlocked...I have stayed in hotels, where someone from an adjoining balcony could EASILY come around the divider (they are not always a wall, sometimes just a mesh divider) and I always shut the drapes....
  • R ~In H... Muver 2012/07/25 00:58:23
    R ~In Harry Potter I Trust~
    +1
    Haha awesome, you're really creative.
  • Muver R ~In H... 2012/07/26 03:10:06
    Muver
    +1
    Thanks...and who knows, maybe just a little nuts...but it keeps me safe....
    A few years ago, I took a self defense/awareness class, and some of the tips came from that, but it just comes naturally to me to be alert and aware of my surroundings....:D
  • Rave Muver 2012/07/25 16:16:23
    Rave
    +1
    I like the part of you having conversations with yourself before leaving the room. How creative :-)
  • Delete 2012/07/24 23:05:28
  • Diddley Squat 2012/07/24 22:57:30
    Diddley Squat
    +1
    I use the inside lock .... if I remember to. If we worried about every possible thing that could happen, we'd spend nearly all our time worrying and taking precautions, and have almost no time left for anything else. Hotel security is the hotel's job.
  • gunner Diddley... 2012/07/25 13:58:05
    gunner
    Thats the spirit, always leave your security and safety to someone else. then if something bad happens(I hope Not), you can always blame someone else.
  • Mel 2012/07/24 22:43:40
    Mel
    I also put extra money and valuables in the safe as well
  • Pistol Pete 2012/07/24 22:31:07
    Pistol Pete
    +1
    Smith & Wesson. Burglars beware. Enter at your OWN risk. NO warning shot will be given.
  • Sodahead Founders are Fascists 2012/07/24 21:55:15
    I barricade the door every night because, you know, zombies.
    Sodahead Founders are Fascists
    +2
    And normal burglars can duplicate keys or pick locks.
    People who are capable of hacking keycard locked doors are alot rarer. OOH I'M SCARED.
    Precautions? Break in triggered tranquiliser gun aimed at the door.
    When the burglar wakes up, his arsehole will be sore and leaking with a white fluid.
  • Melizmatic Sodahea... 2012/07/25 17:03:23
    Melizmatic
    Um, ouch.
  • AndyWolf 2012/07/24 21:39:37
    AndyWolf
    +2
    And I also have one of these...You know, just in case. Glock bed
  • susan 2012/07/24 21:31:28
    susan
    +1
    In fact we also use the safe. You never know who is watching and if we should go out to eat (or whatever) the hacker could enter while we were out. I wouldn't doubt there are 2 working the hotel rooms. One working on the door and the other as a look out.
  • I use the inside lock when I'm in the room.
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    And sweep the room for bedbugs!

Can be found in 5-Stars just as well as Rent-by-the-Hour inns.
    Those buggers are indiscriminate!
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/07/24 20:06:00
    Margaret Jacobson
    +1
    I am also looking for one of those door jammers that they used to sell cheap??
  • Outta' Here. 2012/07/24 19:55:46
    Outta' Here.
    +1
    I also jam a chair under the doorknob and carry a pistol.

2014/09/22 10:23:31